Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

aye, IWGP Heavyweight Champion Minoru Suzuki sounds good, do it

e: also how the heck is Suzuki still going strong at 48 years old? That's incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

I'm guessing Omega will beat Suzuki and Naito will lose the IC to, I dunno, Okada, and win the G1. Tanahashi will then face Okada for the IC at WK12, the main event of which is Omega-Naito II, which will be a 7* match.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

I look forward to Shibata's surprise debut in the Royal Rumble

e: oh, bugger, I forgot he has to lose the RevPro title to Ospreay next month

well uhhhhh I look forward to seeing Shibata run in on Brock Lesnar on the Raw after Wrestlemania, or something

Venomous fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Jan 16, 2017

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

so how far does RoH have to fall before Sinclair can sell it to Bushiroad

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

I am so loving happy that Kenny's staying with New Japan.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

Forgot all about this, it looks like a largely forgettable show but TenCozy vs KES should be fun.

This turned out to be very, very true indeed. I haven't seen a KES match before but I really like their style. Kinda reminds me of The Revival.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Food Court Druid posted:

It might just have been Nagata, but Oka looked like a million bucks in the opening match.

From the last page, but judging by both of the Nagata matches, I seriously believe Oka is going to be a top heel one day. At the very least, I'm excited as heck for the inevitable Oka/Okada match.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

that reminds me, I have a friend who's going to Japan in April, and I asked them to buy me an LIJ t-shirt from the New Japan shop b/c gently caress paying the shipping costs. I fit a UK medium, but is a Japanese medium anywhere close to that, or should I get a size up or down or whatever?

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Many thanks! Going to ask them to buy a large of this one then.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

I still hope Kenny wins the belt against someone other than Okada. Maybe if The Elite split and turn face, and Suzuki or some other top heel wins the title, they can do Omega/whoever at Dominion and Okada can win the title back after the G1.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Capsaicin posted:

What shows/matches do I want to watch if I want to see the best of LIJ? Everything from Naito's early prickishness to his total distaste of the titles.

Naito became El Ingobernable just before the 2015 G1, so I suggest you go through his matches there, especially his ones against Shibata and Tanahashi.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

tbh if Cody goes to NJPW full time then (a) there's a chance he'll get better (b) Kenny might hand over the reigns to him and gently caress off with the Bucks to permanent main event glory sooner rather than later

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

said this before but if The Elite split off from the BC at some point in the next year (which they very much should) then the BC will become a lower-midcard act which will never again reach the heights it reached under Devitt, AJ or even Kenny

this is all for the better tbh

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

KungFu Grip posted:

New Japan Cup Bracket:

Left Bracket:
Evil vs. Tanahashi - 3/11
Tama Tonga vs. Yano Toru 3/11
Bad Luck Fale vs. Michael Elgin 3/11
Tanga Roa vs. Tomaoki Honma 3/11

Right Bracket:
Katsuyori Shibata vs. Minoru Suzuki 3/12
Juice Robinson vs. Yujiro Takahashi 3/12
Tomohiro Ishii vs. Kenny Omega 3/12
Yoshi-Hashi vs. Sanada 3/12

Evil or Tanahashi vs. Tama or YTR on 3/13
Fale or Elgin vs Roa or Honma on 3/14

Shibata or Suzuki vs. Juice or Yujiro on 3/15
Ishii or Omega vs. Hashi or Sanada on 3/17

Semi Finals on 3/19 (Elgin and I want to say Kenny go over but ahhhhhh it could very well be Elgin/Suzuki, which I would also enjoy very, very much)
Finals on 3/20 (can't tell)

e: also, I thought Tiger Mask W was going to be in the NJ Cup? Shame that he's not. Could be that he goes over this weekend.

Venomous fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Feb 28, 2017

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Baron Corbyn posted:

Anything from this show worth watching before I start playing Horizon Zero Dawn?

Oka/Takahashi is worth a look just to see how well Oka's doing. Otherwise, Shibata + Finlay/Suzuki + DBS Jr. is great, and I only caught the second half of LIJ/Taguchi Japan but that was pretty fun.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Super No Vacancy posted:

adam cole i hope

Isn't he going to the fed or something

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Yeah, Honma's a wifebeating shithead and I couldn't give a rat's arse about him, but he doesn't deserve to be paralysed.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Eh, if you're doing it after tomorrow, you could add in Okada/Tiger Mask W if it's any good.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Holy poo poo. That was so drat good. The main event and ZSJ/Shibata are both worth checking out, but that whole show was great. I mean, it stood up well in its own right, but considering WWE put on their worst major show since Wrestlemania 32 last night, that just blew them out of the water. I have absolutely no reason to watch Raw now and every reason to keep watching NJPW. Absolutely incredible.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

When LIJ lose the 6-man titles they could always do Sabre/DBS Jr./Archer when he's better.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

rovert posted:

I've maintained he's a Heavyweight. Re-asked two days ago and yep still a Heavyweight.

Kevin Kelly is full of poo poo, as per usual

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

That Elgin match was unexpected. Wow. Still rooting for Suzuki, anyway.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

At this point I'm sure Evil or Fale is going to the finals. Whether it's Suzuki or Omega that goes over though, I've absolutely no idea.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Well, gently caress. Didn't see Shibata or Ishii going over. I guess Shibata's going to win the whole thing, and he's going after Okada. I'm so glad that sexting doesn't get you a depush in New Japan in TYOOL 2017.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Baron Corbyn posted:

I wonder how the higher ups in WWE and NJPW feel if they see this poo poo and realise Kota would rather be doing this than working for them.

Eh, NJPW doesn't need Kota Ibushi. They've got Tiger Mask W.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

KungFu Grip posted:

The very large young lion will debut on one of the NJ Cup shows teaming with Oka against GOD.

This is a foregone conclusion but the prospect of a ten minute hoss tag match sounds amazing nevertheless

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

ahhhhhh they're doing the match that I really want them to do! Awesome!

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Jack Anderson posted:

Also am I wrong for liking what the Young Bucks are doing in NJPW? I binged watch a bunch of their matches and their characters of Heels That Do Cool Moves somehow works.

No, because the Young Bucks are great at everything they do and their presence in NJPW is good

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Goto doesn't really have a character besides 'good wrestler who's constantly outshone by everyone else'. I like him, but eh. I hope ZSJ wins it.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

mariooncrack posted:

Wasn't the story of gotos wrestle Kingdom match that it was going to be his return to glory and then shibata poo poo all over that in an interview?

I thought that was a work?

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

He's gonna get to the G1 final again and then Naito will destroy him. That's how these things tend to go.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

sigmachiev posted:

Hypothetical: If you're Kidani, are you happy, sad or indifferent to ROH getting bought by WWE?

Indifferent. He was probably already pissed off with Delirious for loving over ACH, and they were going to host shows of their own in the US this year without ROH, so yeah, it doesn't particularly matter to them unless they can scoop up talent that definitely wouldn't be pushed by the WWE like Cheeseburger, ACH, Castle, Daniels, the Bucks, hopefully the Broken Hardys, and so on.

Venomous fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Mar 23, 2017

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Spermgod posted:

if that were the case i'd worry about the outside interference and dudes spitting mist before the lighting lol

Sports entertainment is still sports, I guess.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Baron Corbyn posted:

I thought Jeff wasn't allowed into Japan or is it just the UK?

Oh, I forgot about that. Probably Japan as well, yeah.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Food Court Druid posted:

Would the Young Bucks or Rocky be caught up in the purchase? Those are the only guys NJPW would really worry about losing.

Beretta too, mainly for Roppongi Vice.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

hype for IWGP Heavyweight Champion Kenny Omega winning in the US

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

I'd love it if Makabe had another match with Okada at some point, if only because their match from Dominion 2013 is one of my favourite matches of all time. Otherwise, poo poo, idk. I don't think he should have another HC run. Maybe an IC run at some point.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Charles Gnarwin posted:

Shibata is taking that belt in front of a huge crowd.

I really hope so.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Also worth noting that Rocky Romero says 'Nakasuzo konoyaro' all the time and that apparently translates to 'gonna make those punks cry'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

I like how the match was shorter than the hype package

• Locked thread