Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Frankston posted:

I'm not too familiar with how NJPW operates, what does this mean for Omega now? Is he out of the title picture altogether now? Was that his one shot?

I imagine they'll separate them briefly (Okada vs Suzuki seems to be the current direction) and then Omega will win the title either from Okada around mid-year or whoever has beaten Okada in the meantime.

Edit: New Japan wants to expand internationally and their gigantic G1 Climax tournament kicks off around July including a couple of exhibition shows in the US, so I imagine they'll want Omega to be Champion by that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I believe Chaos was inititally a heel faction but they shifted to face during the rise of the Bullet Club under Prince Devitt?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Wait.... EVIL is a bad guy!?! :aaa:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

They should take part in more wholesome activities that involve zero gambling, such as pachinko!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Solus posted:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BLlqXOvgvfd

Okadas instagram is a loving treasure. Gedos little hat :3:

Like all good fathers, Gedo wants to embarrass his perfect son in public :3:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Do not even ask posted:

Watched WK11 in its entirety. Agree that the last 3 matches were great to amazing but I wasn't feeling the Jr Heavyweight match at all. Felt it was sloppy and dangerous which took me out of most of the match. Am I missing something here?

I liked it but I felt it was also missing something, and somehow it felt more reckless than the other 3 shows even though those all did some crazy things too.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Is it crazy that aside from the main event, the match I'm most looking forward to at The New Beginning in Sapporo is Goto vs Juice Robinson?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Germ Incubator posted:

Well 5 days is nowhere near enough time to spend in Tokyo, I already want to go back (if for nothing else but the heated toilet seats + use of Suica card everywhere.) I had an amazing time, checked out the njpw shop and toudokan (and met Cheeseburger there!) as well as all the usual nerdy anime poo poo.

I was there 11 days and barely scratched the surface of Tokyo (and a quick day trip to Kyoto), I can't wait to go back it's an amazing country.

Very similar seat to what I got, though mine was right next to the barricade so I got to be right up close to see everybody coming and going (I got to touch Nakamura!). Glad you had such a good time, I can't recommend it enough to everybody else to go.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Phenix Rising posted:

I really want to go next year. What's the process for buying tickets for non-Japanese speakers/readers and the cost of tickets themselves like?

Reposting this from an older thread, anybody who went this year will hopefully say if anything needs to be updated:

Last year (Wrestle Kingdom 10) tickets became available in mid-October. I had to register an account with tickebo.jp and put in an application for the class of ticket I wanted, there was no ability to actually pick your individual seat - I chose A Class which was the highest available, it was still surprisingly cheap.

On the 22nd of December I received notice my ticket was now available, they seemed to take it on a first come, first served basis so once I confirmed that I wanted my ticket allocated they provided me with whatever was the best available row and seat number at that time. They sent me a QR Code that I loaded onto my phone. On the day of, I had to wait in line (all the way around the building!) but once I got to the door I just needed to show the QR code, they scanned it and let me in and from there signs pointed me in the right direction and an usher showed me to my seat.

It's a trifle annoying having no ability to specifically choose your seat (I think that is available to those guys who get given the option to buy the front rows) but considering the relatively cheap price of tickets for Japan's Wrestlemania it was worth it (my seat was really good!).

For what it's worth I met up with Sanguinia and harperdc on the day of the event and harperdc was able to just go to the ticket counter and buy an upper bowl ticket (WK 11 seemed to be a lot better sales wise though)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

its me glenda posted:

i set aside a budget of $2500usd for tokyo dome next year will that be enough and should we devote a travel thread after g1 for the dome if enough goons are goin again

If that includes everything (plane tickets, hotel, rail pass, WK ticket, spending money) it might be a little tight depending on how long you plan on staying. I ended up spending roughly 3k all up on my trip (11 days) but I made a point of staying at a relatively nice hotel and I went and visited a lot of places during my stay and even then I did still have some of my spending cash left over when I got back.

I cannot stress enough the importance of buying a rail pass, it's a Godsend.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

its me glenda posted:

If i go its gonna be 5 days max. Im def gonna hit new years dash but i dont know what goes on that weekend beyond the two nnpw shows. Whats a rail pass cost like?

$2500 will probably be fine for 5 days then. A basic rail pass is $244 for 7 days and lets you ride any JapanRail train you want anywhere in the country - it might be more cost effective for you to just pay your way with a Suica card if you're only going to be there 5 days - I rode the trains a lot while I was there including taking the bullet train to Kyoto so the JR Pass worked out best for me. I think Germ Incubator mentioned using the Suica card for getting around so she will probably have better advice on how they work/where to get them/how to top them up with money etc.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

harperdc posted:

[Ed] yeah I'm gonna have to put together some kind of "Tokyo/Japan travel for wrestling geeks" post huh.

It really would be a big help, it can be daunting planning a trip but once you've got it all sorted everything is smooth sailing.

I think Meltzer has said that he is determined to go next year so I wouldn't be surprised if they ended up doing some kind of Wrestling Observer/Figure Four meet-up as well.

Solus posted:

Who's everyones favourite New Japan Dad? I really like Satoshi Kojima and have a soft spot for Manabu Nakanishi

Gedo :3:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Bonus is you'll be there during summer and you can go to Arashiyama :swoon:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Kenny appeared on the latest Talk is Jericho (with Cyrus), thought it was recorded before the Tokyo Dome show. He has a lot of interesting things to say about how he got to Japan (and New Japan) and how he was booked, their ideas for his character, his interpretation of that idea etc and then the insanity of the last year after AJ left and how he frequently paints New Japan into a corner by promoting fights/matches they haven't booked.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

NJPW doing early groundwork on the heated cross-promotion Bayley/Tanahashi feud.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

C. Everett Koop posted:

I never knew that Tana was a performer on the BBC.

Oh my gentle Jesus :aaa:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

KungFu Grip posted:

people saying this is gonna be bigger news than the Shibata affair stuff so all that will be quietly shuffled away while puro news will be buzzing about this. Even saw people joking that Okada made that announcement on purpose to take eyes off Shibata.

Just when Gedo thought he couldn't be prouder of his perfect son.... :shobon:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Cavauro posted:

related, push SANADA more. All the time

:agreed::hf::same:

I can't think of the last time I saw a guy for the first time and immediately thought,"That dude is a star," before I'd even seen him do anything.

Edit: Actually I can, it was Brock Lesnar. The time before that was Edge the night he debuted. Good lord.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Spermgod posted:

i just got a bunch of naked japnese women in baths :shrug:

Well.... why would they be wearing clothes while taking a bath?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Thauros posted:

show's on now if anyone cares

Forgot all about this, it looks like a largely forgettable show but TenCozy vs KES should be fun.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

RIP Young Boys, Suzuki-gun's in town.

Harry Smith is looking a lot better than I remember before he got sent to NOAH.

Edit: Actually is he still going by Harry or did he change to Davey Boy Junior after he left WWE?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

KAZE NI NARE! :neckbeard:

Edit: I'm legit surprised they let Okada/Suzuki actually go at it, and for a fair length too!

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Jan 27, 2017

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Germansimp posted:

Well maybe if he wasn't a lame one-trick pony who completely sucks in the ring and makes up for his flaws by attacking the same person over and over and over and over again, someone would actually love him :colbert: .

It is a shame he's so one-note because the first time I saw him I really dug the gimmick and his execution of it, but then he just repeats himself over and over again.

I did laugh a lot the time he spray painted a bra on the announcer and made a point of painting one of the straps hanging down though.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

KungFu Grip posted:

what time is new beginning tonight

1am EST, so in about 3 hours from now

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I'll probably just catch whatever matches get good buzz later, not really feeling this card at all outside of the Young Bucks/War Machine match

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

not really feeling this card at all

I have erred!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Is it wrong that I want YOSHI-HASHI to be the new ROH Champion? :shobon:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Have they had intermission yet or are they running straight through?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Punisher Martinez is such a goofy name

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

C'mon YOSHI-HASHI!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Omega and Okada :hellyeah:

Edit: This post-show interview with the Bullet Club/Elite is really cool.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Feb 27, 2017

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Please beat Takahashi, Juice :ohdear:

Oh God but then Suzuki or Shibata will murder him :gonk:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I just couldn't get into Honma matches at all after all that domestic abuse stuff came out, but I wouldn't wish something like that on my worst enemy :(

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Charles Gnarwin posted:

I believe you'll find that the GOP is anything but an enemy to Jerusalem.

Holy poo poo :xd:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That's a pretty solid card but I don't think I'll be able to watch it live :(

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh this was good timing, Shibata vs ZSJ just starting :woop:

Edit: And I am very glad Honma isn't paralyzed too!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

SUZUKI! :aaa:

SABRE! :aaaaa:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Holy poo poo that main event :stare:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Needs More Jazz posted:

Wonder how Tiger Mask IV feels about having a significantly better "Tiger Mask" show him up after, what, two matches?

To be fair, most people who are told,"You know, Kota Ibushi is way better than you" would reply,"Well that sounds accurate."

Kazuchika Okada, of course, is not most people :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Really, who the hell DOESN'T like EVIL?

• Locked thread