Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

sure let's just skip past

quote:

He could have faced a sentence of up to 90 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we have sealed ourselves away behind our money, growing inward, generating a seamless universe of self.

the one licensed hyperterm install

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

infernal machines posted:

the one licensed hyperterm install

joke as you want but telecoms fuckers swear by that bullshit. mainly because they need to upload firmware or some bs idk, it's dumb as hell. when i say telecoms i'm mainly talking RF dudes deploying bespoke crazy wimax magic poo poo but i'm p sure it's the same across the board.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

anthonypants posted:

the last time i used one was on an amtrak train in the mid-2000s

The last time for me was last year at a Korean restaurant.
You can't pay with credit or debit at all, with one exception. You can pay with Visa.
The owner, who is like 85 years old comes out with his carbon copy swipy roller thing.

They never upgraded to any kind of electronic payment system and presumably visa is the only one that still allows him to do this.

Pendragon
Jun 18, 2003

HE'S WATCHING YOU

ThePeavstenator posted:

Nope, I once entered in the wrong ccv for an online purchase and it went through just fine. It was also with my Cap it alOne card which usually is pretty good about inconveniencing alerting me when anything even slightly weird happens.

It seems like 99% of credit card security is purely for show. Ultimately CCs are just a sequence of 16 numbers matched with a name that the user literally carries with them everywhere etched onto a plastic card.

based on my experience with a crappy credit card auth vendor, here's how validation works:

bad card number entered: decline
over your limit: decline
wrong name: decline only for some cards (I think Discover was picky on this)
bad address: accepted, return a status code saying the address is wrong (speedrun tip card companies only care about the house/building number part of your address)
bad zip code: accepted, return a status code saying the zip code is wrong
bad cvv: accepted, return a status code saying the cvv is wrong

the thing is the customer support burden for actually returning an error for bad address/zip/cvv is horrid. we had three customers of my company try turning on zip code checking because they would pay a smaller transaction fee. all three turned it off after a week because their customers were getting pissed that their cards were declined, and then they would get more pissed because it looked like they were charged multiple times when they kept trying different zip codes (they were actually just authorizations and wouldn't be collected, but of course it used up their credit limit and showed up on their statement for about a week).

god I hated dealing with credit cards.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

it seems that knowing where you live would be a sensible prerequisite for buying things with a credit card

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Pendragon posted:

based on my experience with a crappy credit card auth vendor, here's how validation works:

bad card number entered: decline
over your limit: decline
wrong name: decline only for some cards (I think Discover was picky on this)
bad address: accepted, return a status code saying the address is wrong (speedrun tip card companies only care about the house/building number part of your address)
bad zip code: accepted, return a status code saying the zip code is wrong
bad cvv: accepted, return a status code saying the cvv is wrong

the thing is the customer support burden for actually returning an error for bad address/zip/cvv is horrid. we had three customers of my company try turning on zip code checking because they would pay a smaller transaction fee. all three turned it off after a week because their customers were getting pissed that their cards were declined, and then they would get more pissed because it looked like they were charged multiple times when they kept trying different zip codes (they were actually just authorizations and wouldn't be collected, but of course it used up their credit limit and showed up on their statement for about a week).

there's a pizza place near me where if you pay online the form asks for your street name, but if you just put the street name in it fails and tells you that you need to put the building number in too

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

flakeloaf posted:

it seems that knowing where you live would be a sensible prerequisite for buying things with a credit card

my address can show up as Toronto or York depending on who does the lookup, and some sites like to "correct" it

also, entering your apartment in the right way can be a pain. one of my cards insisted on "Apt C" with no . or as "Unit C" or such.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

Doing gods work

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

Pendragon posted:

It's more like people can't remember their basic poo poo and it fucks them up so they like to blame someone else for it.

This is where "truth in Customer Service" would be helpful. You know, take the "Well, if you could only just remember the 5 digit ZIP code you lived in then maybe you wouldn't be having this loving problem" direction.

Also if the CVV is wrong is should 100% fail you no matter what. It's a 3 digit loving code ffs.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Migishu posted:

It's more like people can't remember their basic poo poo and it fucks them up so they like to blame someone else for it.

This is where "truth in Customer Service" would be helpful. You know, take the "Well, if you could only just remember the 5 digit ZIP code you lived in then maybe you wouldn't be having this loving problem" direction.

Also if the CVV is wrong is should 100% fail you no matter what. It's a 3 digit loving code ffs.

a good approach for people who are trying to give u money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
closing this thread!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3824975

• Locked thread