Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

are background checks reliable in Russia anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

anthonypants posted:

imho if they didn't want a probe they wouldn't have posted the ip address of their server to the secfuck thread

YOUR IP ADDRESS MAY BE LEAKING

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

You could always compile it yourself: http://download.mobatek.net/sources/

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Wheany posted:

same, except netflix, itunes, youtube and amazon

why do you need jtag for those?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Volmarias posted:

You know full well that it's never getting a firmware update.

My Sony TV gets an update every few months, no doubt to introduce new vulnerabilities.

When I had a Roku in like 2010 there were dozens of apps I could install, mostly terrible youtube clones. Has the ecosystem fallen apart?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

over in the BWM thread a former Steadfast employee is saying he knows the mods to have access to credit card data, presumably because the staff there look at tenant data? it's hard to figure out who is least credible

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Powaqoatse posted:

tiny brontosaurus is cool

this is good and true

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

TINY BRONTOSAURUS CURES PRIVILEGE

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Segmentation Fault posted:

FactsAreUseless is saying "nobody on SA has access to your credit card info"

negromancer is saying "that's not true because I work at the hosting provider for SA and therefore have access"

am I getting this right?

technically "I worked at the hosting provider so I know that FAU is lying"

why would lowtax retain CC info for accounting purposes? what does logging into the load balancer tell you about CC retention? that thread is very confusing

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

spankmeister posted:

I distinctly remember something about SA keeping around CC information as a unique identifier to make sure people wouldn't be able to get around permabans.

you don't have to keep usable CC info for that

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

b&

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Trabisnikof posted:

Even lowtax's comment that he's never seen "full" CC info doesn't contradict TB's concern (afaik) that someone leaked her name+zip.

it does contradict negromancer's assertions that the full data is kept, for "accounting reasons"

as though any decent accountant isn't going to have a full on grand mal when you give them a USB key labeled "CUSTOMER CC DATA" for your return

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

zen death robot posted:

He did not. I know he tried to run a bunch of SQL injection hacks against the site and claimed it was part of his regular job duties and unless someone at SA had requested it then I can assure you that it was not.

:eyepop:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

a hosting provider that tries sql injection against a client's software without consent or even notice is pretty hosed up, even by the generous standard of hosting fuckups

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

zen death robot posted:

make things less secure

live a little

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

zen death robot posted:

I don't know enough about webdev to fix the lovely way the cookie info is handled. That's why lowtax got an actual webdev guy to recode things, but if anyone can point me to some resouces I'll do what I can to fix that poo poo too.

just use Stripe?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

zen death robot posted:

Here's the rub. While I might be able to do it, I do not feel comfortable in doing so because that's not my area of expertise. That's why Lowtax has someone else working on site code. I don't know what all he is doing I can only explain how things currently are, but no radium code will be kept around in the long term. If I put my stamp on the code then I feel as if I'm accepting responsibility with all that goes with it, and I'm not comfortable with that. I have my areas of expertise and handling payment transactions across is not that area. I will describe how it's currently done though and do what I am comfortable with to make things better.

seems reasonable. prepare for war.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

zen death robot posted:

wasnt that fixed as well

are the regression tests passing?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

A Pinball Wizard posted:

can you get me a job

just post your resume here and a steadfast operator will notice it in the database

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

nothing of value should be lost if a workstation is blown away

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

how much disk quota do your employees have on the file server?

e: not defending saving files locally btw

when last I cared about workstations, dozens of terabytes if they wanted it

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

anthonypants posted:

every single one of the claims made against trump is completely unverifiable, and buzzfeed believes that journalism means publishing every claim so that the american people can figure out what's real and what's not by themselves.

buzzfeed published a story about the fact that an intelligence report contained those allegations, and explicitly said they couldn't verify the claims themselves. it's like writing a story "trump appointee claims climate change a hoax".

e: whoops new page

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I want to know Backhoe's score.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

yeah, I remember nanog-l going apeshit. it was very exciting

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Chalks posted:

Also somehow notifying them without utilising power...

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00000J47L/

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Chalks posted:

My battery powered washing machine is going to have trouble accessing the internet during a power cut since my router is not also battery powered.

My security system uses a cell modem backup, and there are several/many IoT companies doing exactly that with monitoring devices for things like weather stations. Think this through.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

BattleMaster posted:

and not have IoT devices in your home

too late, I have a smart meter

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

fishmech posted:

f) data center caught on fire like delta or whoever's did

g) incompatible update installed to wrong part of the fleet

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

What should they use instead? openldap? NIS+?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

They could host it in the arms-length German facility.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

https://www.extremetech.com/internet/243202-symantec-caught-improperly-issuing-illegitimate-https-certificates

quote:

According to security researcher Andrew Ayer, Symantec has issued 108 credentials in violation of strict industry guidelines that the organization agreed to abide by when it made this mistake back in 2015. Nine of the certificates were issued without the permission or knowledge of the affected domain orders, while the other 99 were issued to companies with obviously faked data, Ars Technica reports. Ayer writes: “I doubt there is an organization named “test” located in “test, Korea.”

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

BiohazrD posted:

maybe its time to untrust symantec root?

lol what would that break, like 50% of the internet?

:murder:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

quote:

the user must click OK for code execution to happen

oh that's fine then

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

an argument's brewing over there

if someone's arguing that one-click exploit deployment is ok, I'm not sure I want to read it

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

it looked from the bug that Tavis just said "good work Cisco, that was fast" rather than "uh, no, that's still bad", so we don't know what Cisco would have done with the remaining 75+ days in the disclosure window

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

goddamn hackbunny. I mean goddamn

:allears:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ate all the Oreos posted:

america, where you only have to report security breaches if they affect your investors rather than the actual people breached :911:

Not true in California at least.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

they were always unusually insistent on saying they never analysed russian gov malware, even after the us dropped the iocs mentioning samples they had analysed prior

I heard that he was under investigation before he joined Kapersky

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Security Fuckup Megathread - If path contains ".anime" kill

• Locked thread