Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

It's Tuesday, which means it's time for another stream! Join us over at https://beam.pro/chaosargate!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

FruitPunchSamurai
Oct 20, 2010

Chalice dungeons definitely aren't great, but some of the unique rooms and bosses are kind of neat. The later ones are also a decent source of good blood gems.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
Haven't really been able to catch the streams; has Argate bothered with the Chalice Dungeons beyond this? There's one (really two) I definitely want to see him at least attempt. Lower Pthumeru and Defiled

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Not on stream, no. I've done one or two off screen and I really was not interested in running through them. Maybe I'll do a bonus video of one of the ones I have access to now, but that's a big maybe.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Chalices are super boring in comparison to the main game, but I like to do them whenever I'm failing at a boss too much, don't want to run through the next area just now, or just if I need a bunch of Echoes right now. If you do them as a side activity while progressing, it's fine; just stop the Chalice progression once they get too crazy and return a little stronger. On my first character, I ignored them until way late and sleepwalked through the first ones, that was a giant unfun slog.

For a stream unless you're super into summoning people to play with you in them, they're not ideal, though. And almost impossible to do well in an LP context. I'd say "definitely bring guests" but you know :v:. Wondering what ChaosArgate has planned, though...

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

as someone without a PS4, where do most of your health items come from? I watched a stream the other day where the player was frustrated for having to grind for health items - though he was also pretty bad at the game, causing more health item useage.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
You can buy blood vials from the Hunter's Dream for 500-1000 souls a pop (depending on how far you are in the game, they get more expensive as you go on) or from enemy drops. Theoretically the rally system is intended to make sure you don't need to run through them like candy (see Lifegems in Dark Souls 2), but past a certain point you're just gonna have to burn them to top off, and there's a pretty good chunk of the game where enemies just don't drop them and you have to coast on your reserves.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

It's stream night, so come join us over at https://beam.pro/chaosargate!

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

We're gonna move through the backlog a little faster from here on out, since there's so much, so this thread'll update Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays now.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

I've been sitting on this footage for a few weeks now, so here's a bonus episode. About two weeks ago, I made another character so I could try out a Str/Arc build and also try to catch some stuff I might've missed.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Brainsuckers are the loving worst enemy in this game, I hate them so much. Just annoying as hell to fight.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
Any kind of Fire/Bolt/Arcane damage tears through them almost instantly.

They're only a problem if you can only do pure phys damage.

Also, I very much hope the next episode goes where the cutoff on this one implies.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Thrust damage is the only physical damage that does significant damage to them.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

We're streaming tonight! Come join us! https://beam.pro/chaosargate

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Also, we're probably gonna do another stream tomorrow night around 6-7 EST.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

Argate doesn't like serial posting in his own threads. Weird, right?! Anyway I guess we're streaming soon! :siren: Clicky this to hang out in stream chat and watch! :siren:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

grimlock_master
Nov 1, 2013

Fuck you, suzie

liquidypoo posted:

Argate doesn't like serial posting in his own threads. Weird, right?! Anyway I guess we're streaming soon! :siren: Clicky this to hang out in stream chat and watch! :siren:

Well, let's help him out then. Now he can post the next update whenever he wants!

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
That was an hilariously timed controller issue.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ehkjpy8j4oY

I decided to advertise this LP to the people who are subscribed to my channel and Chaos Argate gave me the perfect audio clip to use

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

CJacobs posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ehkjpy8j4oY

I decided to advertise this LP to the people who are subscribed to my channel and Chaos Argate gave me the perfect audio clip to use

My only regret is that this audio clip is from an episode like 3 months out from now.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Interestingly Father Gascoigne is suggested to not currently be a part of the Healing Church, and his title is not one recognized by the Healing Church. What actually signifies that his set, or any set for that matter, is Healing Church Garb is the white shawl they all include.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

ChaosArgate posted:

My only regret is that this audio clip is from an episode like 3 months out from now.

so start uploading more:commissar:

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

double nine posted:

so start uploading more:commissar:

ChaosArgate posted:

We're gonna move through the backlog a little faster from here on out, since there's so much, so this thread'll update Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays now.

:colbert:

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

The Bagman powerup makes them deal even MORE damage (think being crushed between two trucks instead of being hit by just one), and they noticeably get more aggressive with their attacks. They might also lose their superstrange and seemingly useless energy sphere and drag-in moves, so they only have jumps, punches and sick kicks to truckcrush you with.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

No stream tonight, most of the usual folks aren't around tonight, so we'll try for tomorrow instead if I have time and enough people are around.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

ChaosArgate posted:

No stream tonight, most of the usual folks aren't around tonight, so we'll try for tomorrow instead if I have time and enough people are around.

I see the Bagmen have been busy.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

For reference, this is the store link I'd posted in chat near the beginning of the video. The original intent is to refer to the potential use of hog rectum as bootleg calamari, but I thought that it equally applied to Bloodborne given the visceral animation on pigs and the game's Lovecraftian influences.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

I cringed so hard when I saw you had 4 Vials left, then spent all your Echoes on two levels, leaving you with exactly nothing...I have GLADLY spent an entire boss' worth of Echoes on Vials before, it just saves so much hassle.

The Bagmen thing goes like this: they do show up after BSB and only after BSB. Amelia has nothing to do with it afaik. If you do BSB very late, you even cannot ever go to Hypogean Gaol! (saying why would be spoilers for the thread, dunno how long you have played)

Now, that does mean that getting shot at by Djura at least once is absolutely mandatory, and no, not killing beasts doesn't affect his hostility at all. Then you kill BSB, go to bagtown, kill Paarl, open the back door and talk to Djura like you did; he's all like "whoa didn't see you come in", apparently having forgotten you. You've seen this.

It's even slightly more "obscure" than that: you do not have to kill Paarl for all of this to happen. You can see Paarl, get killed or Mark out, warp to BSB's lantern and walk backwards through Old Yharnam, and Djura will still be non-hostile. Now that doesn't make any sense, but maybe they wanted to make it a little more likely for players to stumble upon the event, as Paarl is a huge fucker if you go there asap.

Speaking of: Paarl is a huge fucker and I consider him the worst boss in Bloodborne. He's a twitchy mess who'd be hard enough to hit if he had regular proportions, but he has gangly-rear end legs that are constantly moving and you cannot lock on to them. It's just frustrating. His difficulty is also really binary: the first time I killed him, he didn't get to do ANYTHING because you can chain-break his legs if you're aggressive enough with charged R2s (I recommend the Hunter's Axe spin move). To elaborate on that: each leg can be broken separately, getting rid of his lightning field. He'll collapse for a bit, allowing you to wail on him; if you wail on his head, you can "break" that, making him open for a visceral.

After he gets back up, he might swing at you lazily a bit, but mostly retreat quickly and put the lightning field up again. This doesn't hurt you. So the best strategy is to break a leg first asap, try hitting his head and/or other legs while he's down, then keep following him closely as he backs off, keep hitting while he charges up and quite possibly break another leg because that's the only time he stays loving still, guaranteed :argh:. Repeat until he's out of hit points and never let him get a moment's rest. If he can jump and dance around, he's even more loving annoying to hit than BSB and it drives me up the loving wall.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Simply Simon posted:

I cringed so hard when I saw you had 4 Vials left, then spent all your Echoes on two levels, leaving you with exactly nothing...I have GLADLY spent an entire boss' worth of Echoes on Vials before, it just saves so much hassle.

The Bagmen thing goes like this: they do show up after BSB and only after BSB. Amelia has nothing to do with it afaik. If you do BSB very late, you even cannot ever go to Hypogean Gaol! (saying why would be spoilers for the thread, dunno how long you have played)

Now, that does mean that getting shot at by Djura at least once is absolutely mandatory, and no, not killing beasts doesn't affect his hostility at all. Then you kill BSB, go to bagtown, kill Paarl, open the back door and talk to Djura like you did; he's all like "whoa didn't see you come in", apparently having forgotten you. You've seen this.

It's even slightly more "obscure" than that: you do not have to kill Paarl for all of this to happen. You can see Paarl, get killed or Mark out, warp to BSB's lantern and walk backwards through Old Yharnam, and Djura will still be non-hostile. Now that doesn't make any sense, but maybe they wanted to make it a little more likely for players to stumble upon the event, as Paarl is a huge fucker if you go there asap.

Speaking of: Paarl is a huge fucker and I consider him the worst boss in Bloodborne. He's a twitchy mess who'd be hard enough to hit if he had regular proportions, but he has gangly-rear end legs that are constantly moving and you cannot lock on to them. It's just frustrating. His difficulty is also really binary: the first time I killed him, he didn't get to do ANYTHING because you can chain-break his legs if you're aggressive enough with charged R2s (I recommend the Hunter's Axe spin move). To elaborate on that: each leg can be broken separately, getting rid of his lightning field. He'll collapse for a bit, allowing you to wail on him; if you wail on his head, you can "break" that, making him open for a visceral.

After he gets back up, he might swing at you lazily a bit, but mostly retreat quickly and put the lightning field up again. This doesn't hurt you. So the best strategy is to break a leg first asap, try hitting his head and/or other legs while he's down, then keep following him closely as he backs off, keep hitting while he charges up and quite possibly break another leg because that's the only time he stays loving still, guaranteed :argh:. Repeat until he's out of hit points and never let him get a moment's rest. If he can jump and dance around, he's even more loving annoying to hit than BSB and it drives me up the loving wall.

I didn't start noticing my blood vial thing until after this session. :negative: I spent like an hour before the Switch presentation the next day just farming blood vials. As for Paarl being a fucker, funny thing, a few weeks back, I ran through the game fairly quickly with another character and called Artix in for help with Paarl again because he still frustrates me. One of the co-op attempts was met with failure as Paarl's lightning explosion took both of us out at the same time. This would've been with Artix around the ~70 mark, too. :negative:

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Neither of you should feel too bad, co-operators get scaled down in level and stats to match yours.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
Just gonna say it: Rifle Spear.

Although you probably know by now anyway.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

It's stream night! Come join us at my Beam channel!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

I started a new LP of HITMAN™ today too! Come check it out!

• Locked thread