Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«1057 »
Arist
Feb 13, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

The bloater fight in TLOU at the high school on Grounded mode, is the worst thing I've ever tried to do in a video game. I think I've died 50 times and it doesn't even seem like there's a light at the end of the tunnel.

I've beaten it on Grounded twice and there's worse sections TO BE SURE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

Double great.

Arist posted:

I've beaten it on Grounded twice and there's worse sections TO BE SURE.

Which? I can't think of any section that is as straight-up difficult as that due to the lack of options; if you don't go into it with enough resources, it's possible to have literally no chance of winning.

At least in the other "hardest section" - Ellie in the cabin with David - you will constantly get resources. If you juke around and let Bill do a lot of killing, you can get the last hit in on some of the Runners and get ammo from them but Bloaters being the absolute fuckers they are it's unlikely to be enough ammo to even kill it.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

Maybe it's in the way I played but I generally always had a molotov or two for that segment.

The cabin part just takes me a while every time, and some of the segments, especially where they removed the checkpoints (alone with Sam, the loving sniper segment which is easy as hell if you look up a video for the route but I never actually beat without cheesing, escaping Boston), require specific strategies and a lot of patience.

Ironically one of the easiest segments for me was the hospital, because I was able to figure out a very specific route that worked almost every time.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Clunk! Clunk! Clunk! Clunk!

precision posted:

Which? I can't think of any section that is as straight-up difficult as that due to the lack of options; if you don't go into it with enough resources, it's possible to have literally no chance of winning.

At least in the other "hardest section" - Ellie in the cabin with David - you will constantly get resources. If you juke around and let Bill do a lot of killing, you can get the last hit in on some of the Runners and get ammo from them but Bloaters being the absolute fuckers they are it's unlikely to be enough ammo to even kill it.

Yeah exactly. There are probably harder parts but I can't think of any other parts that are so stingy with resources as well as lock you in the room. I beat it on survivalist and didn't have any trouble with the bloater, but I came into the fight in better shape than I did on grounded since the hallway/classroom part before it is also an absolute fucker.

I watched the bloater fight on grounded on YouTube and it seems like the runners are supposed to drop ammo, but they don't drop poo poo for me. I've got three shells and. A few handgun bullets, no bombs or Mollys and a sliver of health. I honestly don't know if it's possible.

precision
May 7, 2006

Double great.

Grounded is probably my favorite "hard mode" in any game ever, but it's still flawed - because yeah, a few sections assume you'll prep ahead of time and if you don't, well, gently caress you.

I know a guy who played on Survival Mode for his first run without any prior knowledge of the game. I think that's close to impossible with a few of the bits of Grounded.

Funnily enough, Left Behind on Grounded is still super easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Clunk! Clunk! Clunk! Clunk!

Survivalist is my favorite hard mode ever. I think I prefer it over grounded because it's a little better at giving you that one bullet when you need it. Grounded is fun and didn't give me much trouble until the school but I think I straight up hit a dead end here. If I try it again I guess the lesson to learn is to make multiple saves in case the game hoses me or I hose myself.

«1057 »