Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

CordlessPen posted:

Even on my Professional PS4, yeah, the shading (or the LOD) on the grass pops in really close to the camera, and the camera angle when riding Agro really doesn't help hide it, but it's nothing compared to the weird 2D>3D thing that the original had going for it.

Edit to ask:

I'm really, REALLY tempted to get the Yakuza 0+6 bundle, but I'm also really curious about Celeste, and I don't really want to get both. Yakuza seems like the better deal, but having never played one, it's still a 100$ gamble that I might lose.

Exactly how good is Yakuza 0, and how good is Yakuza 6 going to be? Is Celeste a better choice?

Yakuza 0 is amazeballz but maybe you are too lame for it. Such people exist be vigilant :ninja:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Kilometers Davis posted:

They should put Kiryu and Majima in the new Soul Calibur.

Majima could just be a Voldo skin

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

I've never seen such simulated joy as the look on majimas face when he backflip knees through some mooks chest plate.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I'm getting the urge to pick something up, since my backlog is down to only the second half or so of Yakuza 0 and Okami HD. Help me choose!

-Nioh, combat looks like its got more depth than most Souls games. I loved BB but found DS3 a real drag until the very end/dlc areas
-Monster Hunter World, looks fun and can play with friends
-Shadow of the Colossus, never played the original
-PerSona Vita, mostly for playing P4, P3, P4D....etc. It costs more than the previous three combined but I really loved P5.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

monster hunter's great and so is persona. I think those are all worth playing but maybe nioh the least?

if you get a vita, try out trails of cold steel too

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Isnt trails on pc now?

Cinnamon Bear posted:

I'm getting the urge to pick something up, since my backlog is down to only the second half or so of Yakuza 0 and Okami HD. Help me choose!

-Nioh, combat looks like its got more depth than most Souls games. I loved BB but found DS3 a real drag until the very end/dlc areas
-PerSona Vita, mostly for playing P4, P3, P4D....etc. It costs more than the previous three combined but I really loved P5.

Nioh is real good but after 15-20 hrs i was really bored and it keeps going

Mhw is real good but after 30-50 hrs i was really bored and its supposed to be awesome for hundreds of hrs according to its accolytes.

Sotc is real good but its also loving frustrating as a first timer with no nostalgia

I have a vita, p4g is real good but you might get away fine emulating the ps2 version free.

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Feb 20, 2018

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Of the 4 you listed, one is a timeless classic beloved by millions upon millions of gamers the world over and the other 3 are all “ok to great”

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

Isnt trails on pc now?

the first is but the second isn't

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I think it just came out last week finally

Buccaneer
Jun 24, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Bust Rodd posted:

Of the 4 you listed, one is a timeless classic beloved by millions upon millions of gamers the world over and the other 3 are all “ok to great”

The only way they can top Nioh now is if they make another Ninja Gaiden

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

homeless snail posted:

I think it just came out last week finally

huh you're right

tho still, the sequels would be on playstation for a while before any pc ports happen anyway so I don't really see the point in getting them there. pc isn't portable either :v:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Cinnamon Bear posted:

All of these games own, my only point of discrimination is whether you want a ten or one hundred hour game when choosing SOTC vs Nioh/MHW.

Also Nioh is probably cheap these days?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Bust Rodd posted:

So, Monster Hunter then?

Even with SotC at $40...MHW is the better value.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

JBP posted:

All of these games own, my only point of discrimination is whether you want a ten or one hundred hour game when choosing SOTC vs Nioh/MHW.

Also Nioh is probably cheap these days?

Hm, I'm overseas and find its more reliable to just use PSN to download stuff, and Nioh hasn't been on sale since November I think.

Not sure about time. I spent 100 hours on my first playthrough of P5 but it was a breathless "I can't wait to see what happens next" atmosphere that didn't ever really feel like it outstayed its welcome. The most recent game I played was Hellblade which a pretty short but nice experience I knocked out in a few hours over a couple nights. They were both really enjoyable despite radically different playtimes. I guess it depends on whether the hundred hours are full of meaningful or new content. Is there enough variety in Nioh or Monster Hunter to keep it fresh over that period?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

So, Monster Hunter then?

Even with SotC at $40...MHW is the better value.

Actually if you took all the best ideas from MonHunWorld and stripped the grindiness from them... you’d be left with shadow of the collosus

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I've played at least 70 hours of Nioh and MHW has killed any intention of playing SOTC for now. I like grindy games if the core gameplay is tight and both Nioh and MHW are loads of fun to play with great variety in weapons and enemies (people might argue Nioh enemies aren't that varied but the bosses are all pretty awesome). However on the story front Nioh is light on and MHW only has a story to keep you proceeding towards another monster hunt. They are both pretty hard to begin with, but once you gear up and learn the machanics you can enjoy many hours of unadulterated violence against a seemingly never ending stream of new demons or monsters.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Achmed Jones posted:

The spike that knocked me out was a boss fight. The boss would have a color-coded shield to tell you what attack to use. The colors were something like red/orange/green. That’s kind of a no-go when you’re colorblind. TBH I probably still wouldn’t have been able to beat that guy though, I got decent-ish at getting the right color (better than chance, iirc), but even then it was way too hard

lmao came here to post this, good grief

Glad I’m not the only one bad at video games. I eventually got it but yeah that was sucked

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Lady Maria is my new Tachibana Muneshige in that it is a perfect duel, no gimmicks, I know how to beat her and it is just up to my slow-rear end reflexes holding up enough to string together enough hits to win. Up to 25 deaths and counting.

Also I am reminded that vials loving suck

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

They own. Maybe if you drank 'em less and shot 'em out of a gun more...

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
The only frustrating part of Guacamelee is the hidden dungeon IMHO. I thought the story mode was perfectly balanced. And defeating the dungeon felt good!

Re: Bloodborne. The first area took me a good while, but after that it's smooth sailing, except for the castle and DLC which are hard as balls (but the best part of the game) . And the final boss is pretty difficult.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Feb 20, 2018

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Lady Maria is my new Tachibana Muneshige in that it is a perfect duel, no gimmicks, I know how to beat her and it is just up to my slow-rear end reflexes holding up enough to string together enough hits to win. Up to 25 deaths and counting.

Maria is a knock-out showdown street fight brawl in the clock tower. It just feels right, and peak bloodborne. Wish she was easier to refight.

Farming blood vials endgame: go to mergo's loft middle and kill the shades and piggies between the lantern and the boss and buy vials with the echoes

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I just lost 25000 echoes farming from falling off a ledge and then while trying to find my bloodstain I got shot in the face by a wheelchair guy

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I just lost 25000 echoes farming from falling off a ledge and then while trying to find my bloodstain I got shot in the face by a wheelchair guy

Actually, on second thought, you're playing bloodborne correctly.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Up to 40 deaths so far. I think I'm going to call it for now and sleep on it before fatigue just makes things worse.

I could probably summon for help but just like Tachibana Muneshige, I'm really enjoying this fight and want to prove to myself that I can do it on my own

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Lady Maria is one of the best fights in games and I wish more Soulsborne bosses were just really flashy duels. Not that I don't love giant horrible monstrosities as well. Also loved the DS3 dual boss version of her with the giant chasing you around, but it was drat hard and I had to summon someone to beat it.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

maria's kinda like gwyn in that you can just chain parry her to death

just don't try to backstab her out of her transformations because iirc you can't

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Cinnamon Bear posted:

Get Shadow of the Colossus, I never played it until the remake came out and it immediately jumped into my top 10 games of all time

Ignore every post that isn’t suggesting SotC

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Maria can be chain parried, or if you suck at parrying, you can stunlock her with the Augur of Ebrietas and she has no way to escape.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Cinnamon Bear posted:

Keep in mind that Okami is much longer than you probably think it is. 40 hours if you just plow straight through; 60 hours or longer to 100%.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Escobarbarian posted:

What is Yakuza 0 like gameplay-wise. I’m already very sure the humour is my thing

It's a beat em up open world-ish game with a ton of minigames. What's really special about it are the Heat Moves.

http://i.imgur.com/FrUICkP.mp4

http://i.imgur.com/IsuoS2u.mp4

http://i.imgur.com/IyDizNT.mp4

http://i.imgur.com/qyMSAUq.mp4

http://i.imgur.com/qIKmtMY.mp4

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I'm close to beating Dishonored 2 and the game got a lot better once I got near the later levels. They throw some pretty cool and neat gimmicks in. Overall, it's a solid game. I plan on getting the dlc.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

blackguy32 posted:

I'm close to beating Dishonored 2 and the game got a lot better once I got near the later levels. They throw some pretty cool and neat gimmicks in. Overall, it's a solid game. I plan on getting the dlc.

The death of the outsider is kinda lame compared to 2 but its more dshonored if thats what youre lookin for

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Real hurthling! posted:

The death of the outsider is kinda lame compared to 2 but its more dshonored if thats what youre lookin for

I'm honestly looking forward to playing without the chaos system. I know what it's meant to do but it's really hard to not see it as a morality system, especially since the game becomes harder in high chaos.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Cinnamon Bear posted:

I would recommend Shadow of the Colossus because it's a beautiful little game that can be completed in under 10 hours with satisfaction and all the rest of those options, including the ones you haven't finished, are all at least 50+ hour forevergames.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Hunt mons or get the gently caress out, is what I'd like to say...

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

Lady Maria is one of the best fights in games

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Cinnamon Bear posted:

I vote for Persona 4.

i'm playing it for the first time at the moment and i actually feel it's better than P5.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

spudsbuckley posted:

I vote for Persona 4.

i'm playing it for the first time at the moment and i actually feel it's better than P5.

This is what I've heard, too.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
All the Persona games have a lot of boring exposition but 5 is the mother lode. MGS games might have more in a relative sense but in an absolute sense holy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

codenameFANGIO posted:

I feel like there have been like 8 “best metroidvania ever” candidates in the last two years, they keep coming out and people keep loving them apparently
Also Hollow Knight is apparently both the Best Metroidvania Ever and also the Worst Metroidvania Ever.

P4 is better than P5 in some ways, and worse in others.

P5 has a ton of problems, but I love its visual style and music (4 does have great music though), the dungeons for the most part and also the fact that it has negotiation. It just gets too railroad-y/expositiony for its own good sometimes (4 does also, just maybe not to the same extent).

irlZaphod fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Feb 20, 2018