Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

haveblue posted:

Sekiro is IMO too demanding, there's no room for flexibility or experimentation. You beat the fight as intended or you get destroyed and there's very little available to tweak the playing field, other then the occasional one premade weakness to a certain tool.

FromSoft games are bad, hth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

So does Tsushima have the same sort of "I don't need to think very much about what I'm doing" feel as the recent Assassin's Creed games?

Rinkles posted:

some abilities have to be learned from specific individuals. can't magically self learn techniques (...except for the ones in your skill tree)

This seems cool as a concept but I fear it might just end up frustrating people, unless you only have to do it a few times. Sounds a bit like skill or profession trainers in an MMO.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I’m just going to avoid stealth in GoT and kill everyone foolish enough to attack me. The standoff mode to start a fight looks badass. Honestly the whole minimalist UI approach and letting the island guide you mentality leads me to think this is a game you go in blind, turn off all the UI, and just get lost in the world, exploring and playing free of the shackles of objectives.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
Regarding Ghost, the main thing I'm waiting to hear more on is the story, since I'm hearing some talk here in the thread about it taking itself very seriously. TLOU2 is nothing if not serious, and playing it felt like binging three seasons of a very dour FX prestige drama that I (mostly) didn't connect with, and I don't feel like jumping into more of that any time soon.

On the other hand, it is an open world game, which means if there's enough side content and it's not all grim and up its own rear end, you can break up the earnest story missions by saving cats and gathering items, etc. It does have the benefit of that kind of structure to hide issues with storytelling.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Some of the stuff in reviews does sound minor but also a bit crap for such a major production, like apparently if you sneak up on a crouching guard and try to stealth kill him, he'll stand up into the kill animation for you cause there isn't one for crouching.

I think I will grab it though, the videos I've watched make it look like the sort of thing I'm in the mood for.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

ErrEff posted:

So does Tsushima have the same sort of "I don't need to think very much about what I'm doing" feel as the recent Assassin's Creed games?

The ACG guy said a lot of open world's games are samey and you get hypnotized just repeating stuff in most of them but he never got that feeling in this game so take that for what you will.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

haveblue posted:

Sekiro is IMO too demanding, there's no room for flexibility or experimentation. You beat the fight as intended or you get destroyed and there's very little available to tweak the playing field, other then the occasional one premade weakness to a certain tool.

In a way I kinda liked this about Sekiro, I got further than I'd ever got in a FromSoft game without having to look stuff up out of frustration but ultimately its also the reason I couldn't get any further than I did and just didn't have the patience to get good

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I haven't gotten the impression reviewers really gave a poo poo about the story

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

JollyBoyJohn posted:

In a way I kinda liked this about Sekiro, I got further than I'd ever got in a FromSoft game without having to look stuff up out of frustration but ultimately its also the reason I couldn't get any further than I did and just didn't have the patience to get good

:same:

The first time I played it I eventually hit my skill ceiling (at the last boss!) and gave up. I recently went back to it and pushed through to not only beat that guy but beat him several more times and get the plat, and I still have that opinion. It's a shame I also played Bloodborne to death, that still edges it out for me.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

mysterious frankie posted:

I'll take less demanding combat as an option. Sekiro is fine, but not everything needs to be built around that Cruel Tutelage of Miyazaki style gameplay.

Apparently there is a rule at Fromsoft that Miyakazi should be able to complete the game or else it's considered too hard.

Basically Miyazaki telling you "git gud".

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

haveblue posted:

:same:

The first time I played it I eventually hit my skill ceiling (at the last boss!) and gave up. I recently went back to it and pushed through to not only beat that guy but beat him several more times and get the plat, and I still have that opinion. It's a shame I also played Bloodborne to death, that still edges it out for me.

My skill ceiling was far before that (I think), I gave up at the Corrupted Monk. That's not to say I'll not go back and finish it one-day, I usually come back to From games in waves, but I got too fed up with that fight to want to keep playing.

I will say though the Guardian Ape and Genichiro were maybe my 2 most memorable boss fights in souls games behind when I finally beat Rom the Vacuous spider

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Escobarbarian posted:

Im going to replay BB Sekiro and DS3 because of this post.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

My skill ceiling was far before that (I think), I gave up at the Corrupted Monk. That's not to say I'll not go back and finish it one-day, I usually come back to From games in waves, but I got too fed up with that fight to want to keep playing.

I will say though the Guardian Ape and Genichiro were maybe my 2 most memorable boss fights in souls games behind when I finally beat Rom the Vacuous spider

I gave up on the final boss for a year then came back and played the game from scratch and finally beat him. Hell yes

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Avicus posted:

He's all I have left to beat now. I'm prepared to die a lot.

(Isshin, not Miyazaki)

It took me like 4 hours over multiple days and I honestly enjoyed it

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Which one? The second monk fight actually has a gimmick that makes it way way way easier (personally I don’t like it when they do this)

If you liked the Genichiro fight you will be blown away by the last boss but that is definitely not easy

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

agreed OP

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i had to remind myself to breathe when fighting a lot of sekiro's bosses

quote:

Breathing is very important! Is the violent breath of life in you not hot? Exhale! Exult!

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

It took me like 4 hours over multiple days and I honestly enjoyed it

Which one? The second monk fight actually has a gimmick that makes it way way way easier (personally I don’t like it when they do this)

If you liked the Genichiro fight you will be blown away by the last boss but that is definitely not easy

Definitely the first one, had a look at the wiki and I didn't reach Fountainhead Palace which is a bugbear for me because what I saw of that area looked gorgeous

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

A little easier. They patched it at some point so you can only cheese away one of the phases now

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

haveblue posted:

A little easier. They patched it at some point so you can only cheese away one of the phases now

Can you not still get a deathblow against both phase 1 and 2 with the trees?

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Definitely the first one, had a look at the wiki and I didn't reach Fountainhead Palace which is a bugbear for me because what I saw of that area looked gorgeous

If you ever try again, the first one is oddly weak against throwing ashes in its face. I don’t know why either but a big old pile (you probably have a lot) really helps

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

If you ever try again, the first one is oddly weak against throwing ashes in its face. I don’t know why either but a big old pile (you probably have a lot) really helps
Both of them are quick to be blinded, so both ashes and the firecracker work exceptionally well.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
looking forward to seeing reactions when dp2 is ported to ps5 and the framerate is left untouched.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

Fix posted:

I'm holding off on TLOU2 and Sushima until the PS5 versions.

Is there absolutely any indication whatsoever this will be a thing? I only ask because I've seen no indication whatsoever this will be a thing.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
[quote="THE AWESOME GHOST" post="506500915"]

No, only the second phase.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Seedge posted:

Is there absolutely any indication whatsoever this will be a thing? I only ask because I've seen no indication whatsoever this will be a thing.

People are assuming that Sony likes money. Also, the fact that TLOU got a remaster a year after release.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Biggest complaints I’ve heard enough times from enough different people about Ghosts of Tsushima is that the main story is bland and nothing spectacular (takes itself very serious while not going to any extremes so.. yeah bland) and one reviewer said he doesn’t even remember 70% of it because it just kind of wet farted by him. That’s a definite negative for me because I love a good plot and creative story, sounds like this is more generic storywise than AC Origins.

Other consensus seems to be that it can be kind of a mediocre open world side questing and collecting experience, but despite the mediocrity it’s not a Bad one at all. This sentiment is just a byproduct of us gamers being exposed to way too many of these at this point.

Last consensus is that the stealth is pretty basic and can be super stupid at its worst. No interaction with cover or walls or anything, no death from below or grabbing someone from around a corner, very few animations (is why killing someone crouched they stand up to go through the animation) nothing else cooler than either stab from behind or death from above. And the death from above looks hilariously over forgiving. I saw one player jump off a roof, activate death from above in the edge of its range, and float/levitate laterally like 5 feet to close the gap and activate the animation. And then if you get spotted the entire AI goes Tropic Thunder levels of stupid and makes various janky mistakes like dog piling through doors after you just to all die, or all doing thar thing where they surround and walk around the building your on the roof of while doing nothing to hurt you.. just to forget you’re there if you lose LoS with them for 30 seconds and walk away.. Like really, the stealth is very bad. Like it must be running the AC Unity stealth AI engine. And it sucks because it’s a major required aspect of most missions.

I think if you like this genre and Japanese stuff and have nothing else to do rn then play it. It will undoubtedly be a great time, everything else except the above stuff is amazing and the combat actually sounds super dope. Those are three complaints above, but legitimately the only three that seem to come up over multiple reviews. That’s.. pretty great for a game this big.

If you haven’t played TLOU2 or HZD or Death Stranding then play those while you wait for the price of this to come down a bit. There’s definitely absolutely better 40 hour experiences on PS4 right now than this.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

ErrEff posted:

People are assuming that Sony likes money. Also, the fact that TLOU got a remaster a year after release.
The PS4 didn't play PS3 games, though.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

ErrEff posted:

People are assuming that Sony likes money.

I'm glad this take survived the announcement that PS5 would have PS4 BC, the tenacity is inspiring

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

acksplode posted:

the announcement that PS5 would have PS4 BC, the tenacity is inspiring

Which of the numerous wishy-washy vague announcements are you referring to

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Seedge posted:

Re: tlou2 and ghost of tsushima. I think they've already confirmed both games will run on ps5 even if this means a simple boost mode in ps5. Probably won't be as much of a graphical upgrade as the ps5 actual edition of cyperpunk that will come next year. More like better resolution/framerate and whatever graphical improvements they care to put in.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Quantum of Phallus posted:

You too?

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The ones that people predicted wouldn't happen because "Sony likes money" (all of them)

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

acksplode posted:

I'm glad this take survived the announcement that PS5 would have PS4 BC, the tenacity is inspiring

Yes, well, I still think there will be a PS5 GOTY version of TLOU2 that bundles the upcoming multiplayer and the original TLOU with graphical enhancements and such. That's honestly not a very crazy take.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

ErrEff posted:

Yes, well, I still think there will be a PS5 GOTY version of TLOU2 that bundles the upcoming multiplayer and the original TLOU with graphical enhancements and such. That's honestly not a very crazy take.

Could be, could also be that TLOU2 gets a free PS5 patch and Factions 2 is sold separately. The calculation behind that is probably going to be more complicated than "hey do we like money?" Tbh the fact that there will be any BC at all means Sony clearly doesn't like money, so we should assume that going forward.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

gently caress I kinda wanna get Tsushima now after listening to GB talk about it

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

acksplode posted:

Tbh the fact that there will be any BC at all means Sony clearly doesn't like money

I don't think trying to continue the idea that they are consumer focused/friendly (regardless of whether they are) that they used to great success when Microsoft hosed up back at the beginning really shows that they hate money. A significant part of their huge lead over the Xbone was due to their perception of respecting customers and their purchases as opposed to Don "If you don't have an internet connection we made the Xbox 360" Mattrick

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Barring this being the PS4 thread, what are people’s thoughts on which nextgen console will be the best option to purchase? I have always been an Xbox person and do love a lot of things about the console and UI, the console is often just slightly more powerful and capable than its PlayStation. Gamepass is incredible too. However, it has no exclusives, and as I’ve learned since buying a PS4 two months ago.. exclusives are really really good. So good that since purchasing the PS4 and playing through all these adventures I’m kind of sold on getting the PS5 now. If they have exclusives anywhere near to the level they do now.. well it’s hard to beat. Also, the PS5 is bringing some serious capability to the table with its triangle and raytracing engines.

Wondering what other people are thinking, or how they’re approaching this. Just to stave off the inevitable comments no I’m not asking wether either console should be bought day 1.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Legitimately, the SSD stuff the PS5 is doing seems kind of revolutionary

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I think most people here interested in a next gen console are leaning PlayStation.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

Akuma posted:

Both of them are quick to be blinded, so both ashes and the firecracker work exceptionally well.

The phantom Corrupted Monk is also weak to the snap seeds. You can whittle her down to 5% health by getting behind her at the start of the fight, ash-slash-slash-ash-repeat for ash, then firecrackers, then seeds until you run out of consumables.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I think Xbox and PS are aiming for very different things now, and honestly PS5 seems like a no brainer given the games I enjoy playing. Plus having an okay gaming PC means I get the Xbox games anyway if I want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Yeah, PS5/PC (with GamePass) is just amazing right now.