Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

Arist posted:

Legitimately, the SSD stuff the PS5 is doing seems kind of revolutionary

I’m also excited for the 3D audio and I hope more than just first party Sony games take advantage of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

What’s the PS5 doing with SSD that’s revolutionary? I haven’t heard of that. Also, haven’t really heard much about how PS5 and Xbox are becoming different. It seemed to me that they were both aiming for a high performance gaming PC basically. Xbox is definitely more home entertainment minded, and forza minded.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

Blind Rasputin posted:

Barring this being the PS4 thread, what are people’s thoughts on which nextgen console will be the best option to purchase? I have always been an Xbox person and do love a lot of things about the console and UI, the console is often just slightly more powerful and capable than its PlayStation. Gamepass is incredible too. However, it has no exclusives, and as I’ve learned since buying a PS4 two months ago.. exclusives are really really good. So good that since purchasing the PS4 and playing through all these adventures I’m kind of sold on getting the PS5 now. If they have exclusives anywhere near to the level they do now.. well it’s hard to beat. Also, the PS5 is bringing some serious capability to the table with its triangle and raytracing engines.

Wondering what other people are thinking, or how they’re approaching this. Just to stave off the inevitable comments no I’m not asking wether either console should be bought day 1.

Exclusives are the biggest factor for me, and Sony is the only major publisher imo that's doing very interesting stuff in the AAA space, and they also publish a lot of cool exclusives in the AA and indie spaces as well. Just based on Sony-published titles alone, I would already be convinced for PS5, not that I wasn't already.

Nintendo is pretty good too and I like some of their stuff, but I honestly think Sony is a more consistent and higher-quality overall publisher of titles that I am personally interested in. It's not even a contest.

HampHamp
Oct 30, 2006
Ps5 is the only one with a chance in hell of getting a Bloodborne 2 so its a no brainer really.

I think Ghost of Tsushima looks like fun! Nothing revolutionary but the combat sounds decent, which will elevate it above most other open world games.

I just started playing the Last Guardian again, which was one of my favourite ps4 games. I had forgotten how absolutely obnoxious the pop up tutorials were, I dont usually get annoyed at little things like this in games but these are incredibly out of place. They're huge, they repeat all the time, and there's no way to disable them. For such a magical game, these loving things are an absolute travesty.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Blind Rasputin posted:

What’s the PS5 doing with SSD that’s revolutionary? I haven’t heard of that. Also, haven’t really heard much about how PS5 and Xbox are becoming different. It seemed to me that they were both aiming for a high performance gaming PC basically. Xbox is definitely more home entertainment minded, and forza minded.

Absurdly high read/write speeds, beyond what's available in the PC market right now and double the new Xbox Series X one: https://www.tweaktown.com/news/71340/understanding-the-ps5s-ssd-deep-dive-into-next-gen-storage-tech/index.html

acksplode
May 17, 2004

morallyobjected posted:

I don't think trying to continue the idea that they are consumer focused/friendly (regardless of whether they are) that they used to great success when Microsoft hosed up back at the beginning really shows that they hate money. A significant part of their huge lead over the Xbone was due to their perception of respecting customers and their purchases as opposed to Don "If you don't have an internet connection we made the Xbox 360" Mattrick

I agree, I was being sarcastic. That's a fine example, Sony didn't do the short-term defensive money-chasing thing and earned goodwill that made their platform the dominant winner, allowing them to make bank on licenses for the large number of PS4 games sold in the long run.

Dewgy posted:

Absurdly high read/write speeds, beyond what's available in the PC market right now and double the new Xbox Series X one: https://www.tweaktown.com/news/71340/understanding-the-ps5s-ssd-deep-dive-into-next-gen-storage-tech/index.html

That's a good article but it gets one significant detail wrong: it says the SSD throughput is 5.5 GB/sec of decompressed data. It's actually 5.5 GB/sec of compressed data. This is significant because there's a disk controller in front of the SSD that's silently decompressing that data as it comes out (and compressing it as it goes in), so the effective throughput is closer to 8-9 GB/sec.

acksplode fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jul 14, 2020

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

The Xbox is getting a few exclusives. Halo, sennus’s sadness, and the only game I’m actually curious about : scorn.

https://youtu.be/i9eg7Pzk15g

Seriously, if scorn is actually good and not a goth emo mess it would sway me towards Xbox.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
reading that article about the PS5's SSD, I didn't realise the Series X was using proprietary memory chips lol. One of the happiest days of my life was when I didn't have to buy more memory cards for my PS2

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
On PC, having even the highest speed SSD versus a regular bargain bin one won't have almost any difference because 1. at some point the bottleneck is not the disk but everything between the disk and CPU, and Sony worked specifically on that, 2. nobody bothers or even can afford to optimize anything for SSD because you don't know if the buyer has 5400 RPM spinning rust or $2000 NVMe drive, Sony can guarantee that for exclusives

But my actual hope is that we will see more games made specifically for SSD speeds in general because PS5 and XSX will both have them.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Blind Rasputin posted:

The Xbox is getting a few exclusives. Halo, sennus’s sadness, and the only game I’m actually curious about : scorn.

Seriously, if scorn is actually good and not a goth emo mess it would sway me towards Xbox.

Exclusive in that they wont be on the PS4, but they will be on the PC. I'm going to stick with Playstation, if theres something I desperately need to play that is "Xbox ecosystem exclusive" or whatever they are calling it I'll get it on PC.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

Blind Rasputin posted:

wtf is this??

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Rasputin you ain't fooling poo poo, you've always been a diehard xbox dude

You bored or something

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Baggot posted:

wtf is this??

Technology has finally allowed us to turn the complete works of H. R. Giger into a video game

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Bad Parenting posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POFPMwhedS4

I usually agree with easy allies reviews and they are mostly positive on it, main complaints that stealth is too easy because the stealth AI is dumb and your tools are pretty OP, both of which don't bother me.

Looking forward to playing on Fri

Looks decent, but I think I'll pass ftm

haveblue posted:

It's probably a bad idea to play Tsushima immediately after Sekiro anyway, unless they absolutely nailed the combat

Yeah that feels like it would be a recipe for disappointment

acksplode posted:

They do but it can be done, my second playthrough was frustration free. You just have to accept that the game values realistic animation over responsive controls, it's like the opposite of Mario.

Yeah also don't forget the 'look at trico'-button is actually an important game mechanic, not only because you're supposed to give attention, but also because sometime trico will catch on to things in the environment and partially solve puzzles for you and be trying to tell you about it but if you're too busy nosing around in the bushes you'll miss the signals.

VideoGames posted:

Also I am rocking ps-poor too. I did try clean it out the other day, but there was no dust in it so I am not sure why it is jet engining all over the shop.

Either the ambient room temp or the surface it's sitting on (for example ps4 horizontal on wood generates a lot of heat)

Avicus posted:

He's all I have left to beat now. I'm prepared to die a lot.

(Isshin, not Miyazaki)

enojy posted:

It felt especially jarring in TLOU2. Most everything else is so well done, yet there's still some arbitrary "notice an entire human being's shape pretty obviously moving through some knee-high grass" meter above their heads, giving you well over a second before that person even thinks about checking things out. If that can be tuned to be less video gamey, I'd like that.

Turn up the difficulty if you dare

Ulio posted:

Apparently there is a rule at Fromsoft that Miyakazi should be able to complete the game or else it's considered too hard.

Basically Miyazaki telling you "git gud".

I would love to read the quote on this one :allears:

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Definitely the first one, had a look at the wiki and I didn't reach Fountainhead Palace which is a bugbear for me because what I saw of that area looked gorgeous

Yeah and the boss there is incredibly epic and beautiful. It'll be worth revisiting for you eventually.

Oxxidation posted:

i had to remind myself to breathe when fighting a lot of sekiro's bosses

Apparently this is called auto-erotic asphyxiation

acksplode posted:

That's a good article but it gets one significant detail wrong: it says the SSD throughput is 5.5 GB/sec of decompressed data. It's actually 5.5 GB/sec of compressed data. This is significant because there's a disk controller in front of the SSD that's silently decompressing that data as it comes out (and compressing it as it goes in), so the effective throughput is closer to 8-9 GB/sec.

Word? That's wild.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Rasputin you ain't fooling poo poo, you've always been a diehard xbox dude

You bored or something

Not at all. Yes, I had an Xbox for years and years but the past 6 months had seen nothing new at all come out on the platform. So I got a used ps4 pro for cheap. Since then, I’ve played some of the best games I’ve ever played. There’s a lot that the Xbox UI does a lot better imo, but Sony clearly works very hard with developers to support and bring forward really good exclusives. I honestly can’t believe I nearly went my entire adult life without playing the last of us. Looking forward, yeah choosing the next console is much harder! I also do not have a gaming PC. I have the Best Buy all-in-one for my kid’s school work, but I’ve never been much of a PC game player and I don’t see that changing. Those things are expensive, and I honestly like chilling on the couch with the fam while playing games.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Blind Rasputin posted:

Biggest complaints I’ve heard enough times from enough different people about Ghosts of Tsushima is that the main story is bland and nothing spectacular (takes itself very serious while not going to any extremes so.. yeah bland) and one reviewer said he doesn’t even remember 70% of it because it just kind of wet farted by him. That’s a definite negative for me because I love a good plot and creative story, sounds like this is more generic storywise than AC Origins.

Other consensus seems to be that it can be kind of a mediocre open world side questing and collecting experience, but despite the mediocrity it’s not a Bad one at all. This sentiment is just a byproduct of us gamers being exposed to way too many of these at this point.

Last consensus is that the stealth is pretty basic and can be super stupid at its worst. No interaction with cover or walls or anything, no death from below or grabbing someone from around a corner, very few animations (is why killing someone crouched they stand up to go through the animation) nothing else cooler than either stab from behind or death from above. And the death from above looks hilariously over forgiving. I saw one player jump off a roof, activate death from above in the edge of its range, and float/levitate laterally like 5 feet to close the gap and activate the animation. And then if you get spotted the entire AI goes Tropic Thunder levels of stupid and makes various janky mistakes like dog piling through doors after you just to all die, or all doing thar thing where they surround and walk around the building your on the roof of while doing nothing to hurt you.. just to forget you’re there if you lose LoS with them for 30 seconds and walk away.. Like really, the stealth is very bad. Like it must be running the AC Unity stealth AI engine. And it sucks because it’s a major required aspect of most missions.

I think if you like this genre and Japanese stuff and have nothing else to do rn then play it. It will undoubtedly be a great time, everything else except the above stuff is amazing and the combat actually sounds super dope. Those are three complaints above, but legitimately the only three that seem to come up over multiple reviews. That’s.. pretty great for a game this big.

If you haven’t played TLOU2 or HZD or Death Stranding then play those while you wait for the price of this to come down a bit. There’s definitely absolutely better 40 hour experiences on PS4 right now than this.

Nice massive post about a game you haven't played

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Baggot posted:

wtf is this??

Its just a shooter inspired by HR Giger and Beksinski.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

I haven't had a gaming PC since the mid 2000s, but now I have two gaming PCs at home for work (desktop, laptop) but I still never use them for games because I work with them all day, I don't want to fiddle with that poo poo just to play games. So I'll get both consoles! Gimme all those 'scluseys.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Word? That's wild.

Don't take my word for it! This is timestamped to right when Cerny explained that in his presentation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ph8LyNIT9sg&t=1053s

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

haveblue posted:

Technology has finally allowed us to turn the complete works of H. R. Giger into a video game

Jerkface posted:

Its just a shooter inspired by HR Giger and Beksinski.

Yeah was definitely thinking of Zdzisław while watching this. Too bad it's a shooter, for some reason that makes it less interesting to me.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

SSD speeds deteriorate over the span of a few years, so what's not clear at the moment is whether the speeds they're touting are what it actually does out of the box, or whether they're being conservative and giving the speed it'll be at in 5 years of heavy use. I don't think either company has addressed that yet.

Have either said if the drives are user replaceable?

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

Is Scorn a shooter? I've not seen anything that Baguley resembles gameplay yet, it could be a walking sim, a turn based tactics RPG, a stealth hider like Alien Isolation or it could be a CYOA like the Telltale games from the trailers I've seen.

Edit: phone what the h*ck is a Baguley, I typed vaguely

Edit: this is what I get for phone posting while the missus is on the PS4

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Akuma posted:

SSD speeds deteriorate over the span of a few years, so what's not clear at the moment is whether the speeds they're touting are what it actually does out of the box, or whether they're being conservative and giving the speed it'll be at in 5 years of heavy use. I don't think either company has addressed that yet.

Have either said if the drives are user replaceable?

SSDs develop write amplification as they're written to over time, which reduces write throughput, but read throughput should stay consistent over the life of an SSD. Game performance is more likely to be bottlenecked by reading stuff off disk than trying to write to it. And your PS5 SSD will probably be read from much more than it's written to, so it shouldn't wear very quickly.

Sony said for sure the PS5 SSD is user-replaceable, I think MS said the same for Series X.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Seedge posted:

Is Scorn a shooter? I've not seen anything that Baguley resembles gameplay yet, it could be a walking sim, a turn based tactics RPG, a stealth hider like Alien Isolation or it could be a CYOA like the Telltale games from the trailers I've seen.

Yes its a shooter. It has been on steam for a while now and I think Steam may still have it but there was something like X minutes of gameplay, and its basically just a creepy shooter. Your guns are all weird penis poppers and you gotta pop em open to see how many worms you got left to shoot out.

edit: the 2nd video on steam is like either the first 7 minutes of the game or a vertical slice and you can see him use the pistol and shotgun type gun.

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jul 14, 2020

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

Seedge posted:

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

I found this footage of Scorn, yeah it’s a shooter. Which I didn’t know either until I found these videos. The game looks.. very weird. While the trailers do feel Belsinski inspired, the actual level designs just feel like generic alien goop hallways.

https://youtu.be/5bXpqc9QTcY

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

acksplode posted:

Sony said for sure the PS5 SSD is user-replaceable, I think MS said the same for Series X.
Not quite, as I understood it, the SSD is custom and definitely not user-replaceable.

However, there will be support for:

1. external storage, HDD or SSD, for running PS4 games, and maybe for moving out PS5 games installed to the internal SSD and back in without having to re-download them, and

2. expandable internal storage, SSD only, non-proprietary (unlike Xbox' memory cards), presumably with the same functionality as the custom SSD but with strict performance and form factor requirements in order to meet the baseline PS5 specs, ie, nothing that exists right now (PC SSDs max out at <4 GB's throughput)

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Storm One posted:

Not quite, as I understood it, the SSD is custom and definitely not user-replaceable.

I think you understand incorrectly. The SSD isn't custom, it's just a M2 NVMe SSD, and you can replace it. Sony will provide a list of supported drives that fit the enclosure and passed their testing. The video I posted above goes into it. All the fancy custom stuff Sony is doing is in the disk controller and in the rest of the system to eliminate bottlenecks.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I’d probably buy scorn if it came to PlayStation but I’ve always been a little put off by how blatant it is with its influences.

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

This could get emotional...

There's zero Xbox exclusives that I care about enough to even consider getting a series X. What do they have apart from halo, gears and forza? The last good halo game was what, reach? You can play all those on PC as well if you want.

MS have said there won't be any series X exclusive games for like the first year, which means everything they release that year will be playable on the xbone s, so I can't see them doing anything revolutionary tech wise when everything needs to be able to run on the old consoles.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Seedge posted:

Is there absolutely any indication whatsoever this will be a thing? I only ask because I've seen no indication whatsoever this will be a thing.

they've said its up the devs if the ps4 games get ps5 patches, theres no way they would let microsoft get away with offering that.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Arist posted:

gently caress I kinda wanna get Tsushima now after listening to GB talk about it

GB?

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

George W Bush lives in Dallas and is a huge gamer. Also a pretty good painter. But on his YouTube channel he does reviews sometimes and they’re pretty good. Hth

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Probably Giant Bomb.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Still don’t understand why anyone consumes any Giant Bomb content let alone loving paying for it

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

Still don’t understand why anyone consumes any Giant Bomb content let alone loving paying for it

I only like Gerstman, but yeah pretty much this

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

Same but this forum

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

free hubcaps posted:

u can take naps w/ your horse

:homebrew:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Escobarbarian posted:

They're fun to listen to, you don't gotta be weird about everything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Arist posted:

They're fun to listen to, you don't gotta be weird about everything

Untrue!

edit; ;)