Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

:rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Thread can make fun of me if it wants, and I'm def not the kind of person who listens to orchestral versions of Squaresoft music performed by the London Philharmonic or whatev, but there were certain moments in FF7R where one of the arranged tunes would start playing at a specific moment right as the camera focused in on Tifa or Aerith's face (specifically themes from Kalm, Tifa's theme, and main theme)...and it just made me well up with tears. I can't explain it. Maybe because it was delivering a novel yet familiar emotion after 20+ years of nostalgia build-up in the middle of what were already some huge emotional world events...I dunno. FF7R was big time cathartic for this particular videogames manbaby.

Tbh having just played the bit where you crash land on top of I guess it's officially aerith now flowers and cloud has a flashforward(?????) and her theme was playing I had to fight back the tears too

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Bust Rodd posted:

Assassin’s Creed: Bust Rodd

“Busterio, you just take this imperial Galleon and-“
“Nah gently caress boats”
“-I’m sorry?”
“Boats are lame, this is gonna be a long rear end boat mission, gently caress that”
“-what I”
“Dude I’m just gonna parkour from Italy to Austria, dress up like one of his favorite dancing girls, and strike!”
“-dancing girls?”
*applying lipstick, flinging himself from a parapet* “oh yeah Schnitzel here I come”
So you're being daft, but I was poo poo at the boat missions for the cult members in Odyssey, but I was good at the stealthy stabby stabby, so I'd start the boat mission, then get near the boats, then jump in the water, climb on the boats, and stab them all by whatever means. Then swim back to my boat, shoot their boat until it exploded, then move on to the next boat.

And it let me do it. Odyssey was really quite good at letting you tackle things how you wanted. To your point about the sync bonus stuff I know what you mean - but at least they let you know ahead of time. GTAV came out after with basically the same system but didn't tell you what the gold condition was until you'd finished the mission and that was so much worse that it made me long for Assassin's Creed. Did my head in. I still got all the achievements in GTAV...

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

Necrothatcher posted:

Unlike some other console threads that shall go unnamed, I don't think anyone here would make fun of you for having an emotional response to a video game.

Well, maybe QoP would, but that's it.

Those people should be forced at gun point to play titanfall 2.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Ngl now that aeris has a voice and facial expressions and a personality the end of disc one is gonna hurt

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I’m not too hard to please. You got some towers you want me to climb game, show me what you got. I hate surprises so don’t make me triangulate the position of your hacking minigame. Just give it to me fair and square and let’s see if it’s any good! When people are like “BOTW is so great, you have to mark everything yourself” that is like a worst gamer nightmare for me. Here I am now, entertain me!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

fridge corn posted:

Tbh having just played the bit where you crash land on top of I guess it's officially aerith now flowers and cloud has a flashforward(?????) and her theme was playing I had to fight back the tears too

you aren't the only one :qq:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FO5eeBWqpXU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Some more thoughts on video games:

I started Erica and quickly realised it wasn’t my bag. The smartphone controls are really cool and it’s very well-done for an FMV game, but the story didn’t suck me in anywhere near enough to make up for the minimal amount of control.

Moved onto Hellblade, which I had a very complicated relationship with. The psychosis element was extremely evocative and incredibly well-done, and definitely the highlight. I wish it hadn’t been mixed with this Norse story though, because I really find it hard to take any of that poo poo seriously, which is why I prefer the presentation of it in something like God or War as opposed to this where it’s all super dramatic. The actual gameplay I didn’t think was much cop at all either. The environmental/perspective puzzles were pretty tedious on the whole, while the combat was dull, generic, and frequently too overwhelming as it went on. The sections where you’re having to run/escape something and the voices are making GBS threads themselves were the highlight of the gameplay imo.

Yet I’m still pretty glad I played it. Even though I don’t like the genre I did end up finding the story very effective, and Senua is a phenomenally well-written and performed character. It’s a great story about mental illness and it having a framing device I personally find incredibly overwrought didn’t take away from that. Plus it really is stupidly impressive that such a small independent team made a game that could stand up to almost any AAA title graphically.

Want something less miserable next so I might play Oxenfree or Luigi’s Mansion on the Switch

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

xxEightxx posted:

Those people should be forced at gun point to play titanfall 2.

It's more effective if everyone gets threatened to play Mass Effect Andromeda if they don't play Titanfall 2.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Escobarbarian posted:

Want something less miserable next so I might play Oxenfree or Luigi’s Mansion on the Switch

You should probably play Luigi's Mansion then

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

haveblue posted:

You should probably play Luigi's Mansion then

Thinking more about general presentation than story content. Oxenfree at least has nice cartoons and poo poo

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

fridge corn posted:

Ngl now that aeris has a voice and facial expressions and a personality the end of disc one is gonna hurt

Well...maybe. There's evidence to suggest poo poo is going to go off the rails in the sequels. Hopefully not so off the rails that we don't get to tool around Junon and have to do a bad marching minigame because that's my favorite bit of the original, but we'll see!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Wolfsheim posted:

Well...maybe. There's evidence to suggest poo poo is going to go off the rails in the sequels. Hopefully not so off the rails that we don't get to tool around Junon and have to do a bad marching minigame because that's my favorite bit of the original, but we'll see!

Junon was loving great. I hope we spend 40 hours there

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
Fall Guys is so loving funny

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Guillermus posted:

It's more effective if everyone gets threatened to play Mass Effect Andromeda if they don't play Titanfall 2.

give a man a mediocre bioware rpg and he'll beat it in a day, give him the greatest multiplayer first person shooter ever and he's got a game for life

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Junon was loving great. I hope we spend 40 hours there

I imagine Junon will be the main hub of 7R2

Stream is a pro-watch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9XnVPPcorU

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Aug 9, 2020

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
okay I don't often fall in love with a game like this but

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMR2PzhlHOM

i mean how can you not

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
ff7r has extremely powerful cat technology

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Pro use of the FF7 main theme

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

So yesterday Sam Lake posted that Remedy is currently working on a game in what the studio is calling the 'Remedy Connected Universe'

No other details but I would imagine that the upcoming AWE expansion for Control is going to be the springboard for that. So we may not get 'Alan Wake 2' but we may get 'Control 2 with Alan Wake'

https://www.remedygames.com/awe-the-first-remedy-connected-universe-crossover-event/

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The return of Quantum Break...

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Unless something changed recently, MS still owns the rights to Quantum Break

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I've won 2 Fall Guys matches out of like 6 attempts total so it's definitely gud gittable. I guess somehow I developed expertise at controlling a slow weak blob that's liable to topple over at any time and can barely jump without falling on its rear end? Idk

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Escobarbarian posted:

and Senua is a phenomenally well-written and performed character.

Interesting backstory:

Melina Juergens, who Senua is modelled after and who did the facial mo-cap as well has been a video editor at Ninja Theory for six years.

When the scheduled actor for Senua dropped out, they asked her to be a stand-in for some facial mo-cap equipment tests and she completely nailed the part, so they cast her instead.

Boom, 2018 BAFTA Games Award for best performance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFhzVtHwJjA

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Aug 9, 2020

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

So yesterday Sam Lake posted that Remedy is currently working on a game in what the studio is calling the 'Remedy Connected Universe'

No other details but I would imagine that the upcoming AWE expansion for Control is going to be the springboard for that. So we may not get 'Alan Wake 2' but we may get 'Control 2 with Alan Wake'

https://www.remedygames.com/awe-the-first-remedy-connected-universe-crossover-event/

I want to go one more adventures with Jesse. She's probably my favorite of all of Remedy's protagonists so far.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

acksplode posted:

I've won 2 Fall Guys matches out of like 6 attempts total so it's definitely gud gittable. I guess somehow I developed expertise at controlling a slow weak blob that's liable to topple over at any time and can barely jump without falling on its rear end? Idk

(I know this is already the joke but I wanted an excuse to post that.)

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

Oxxidation posted:

ff7r has extremely powerful cat technology

Except for the part where three calicos have identical patterns! Immersion ruined!!!!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The random cat interlude up on the plate was Very Good

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I'm playing gears of war 5 on PC and it's strongly reminiscent of TLOU2 right down to the "open world" find a building with an upgrade zone and all the daddy issues.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

It is done! I have transcended the hunt.

(Spoiler tagged photo album out of respect for those hunters)

A final prayer before the end

The time has come, old man

Didn’t appreciate my diet of umbilical cords, I see

Even in Yharnam
When I hear the church bell’s sing
I dream of Yharnam

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

The music in the Avengers beta is so uninspired I hope these are temp tracks to be replaced in the final game, can't imagine Square Enix releasing a soundtrack album of this poo poo. Sounds like the filler music in Guild Wars 2

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Cross posting in the hopes someone has an answer.

Gonna ask a question probably no one has an answer to, but here it goes. I bought the recent Telltale Batman Shadow Edition for $30 a little while ago. It bundles the two games and some optional noir filter for both of them. I was able to download all the first game’s episodes and play them. However, when I go to my purchased games in my library and go to the second game Enemy Within, it acts like I still need to buy the first episode with no option to download it. It shows episodes 2-5 as being free, but the season pass itself and episode 1 are still asking me to buy them, rendering me unable to install the game and add the rest of the episodes.

Anybody know what the hell? Restoring licenses didn’t work, and hitting download on the store page for the collection just cues up two downloads of the noir mode dlc, one for each of the games.

What a mess

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

man nurse posted:

Cross posting in the hopes someone has an answer.

Gonna ask a question probably no one has an answer to, but here it goes. I bought the recent Telltale Batman Shadow Edition for $30 a little while ago. It bundles the two games and some optional noir filter for both of them. I was able to download all the first game’s episodes and play them. However, when I go to my purchased games in my library and go to the second game Enemy Within, it acts like I still need to buy the first episode with no option to download it. It shows episodes 2-5 as being free, but the season pass itself and episode 1 are still asking me to buy them, rendering me unable to install the game and add the rest of the episodes.

Anybody know what the hell? Restoring licenses didn’t work, and hitting download on the store page for the collection just cues up two downloads of the noir mode dlc, one for each of the games.

What a mess

Try using the PS website? I’ve had a bunch of issues like that, usually when I’ve played a game on PS Now before I owned it or it was given out for free on PS+, or I tried it on disc then owned a digital copy.. or some combination of those things, and usually that seems to fix it. I also asked this thread when it happened and that was what someone suggested and it’s worked every time for me at least.

Blind Rasputin posted:

Even in Yharnam
I dream of Yharnam

Nice work! Now onto the chalice dungeons to get the platinum :v:

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Blind Rasputin posted:

Even in Yharnam
I dream of Yharnam

Fine work good hunter! Now it’s time for gimmick builds!!

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I'm sure Fall Guys will recede into an occasional memory as the population drops but I just popped an achievement for "bumping into another Fall Guy 1000 times" in maybe one hour of play and I hope at least a few of us cherish this brief moment.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Every time I read more about the Avengers game I think, they're making a Destiny-like, but with superheroes? And only the Avengers? What? Why?

I feel like there's something I am really missing here.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

Every time I read more about the Avengers game I think, they're making a Destiny-like, but with superheroes? And only the Avengers? What? Why?

They will almost certainly be adding a lot more heroes over time, but yes my interest in this game is pretty minimal because I just hate the GaS games so much

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Samurai Sanders posted:

There's 7 types of video game design you can strive for these days and you can throw a different skin over them and try and get people obsessed with them.

Also, much like how some people can't imagine a world without capitalism, I've forgotten what games looked like before everything was an open world game with bandit camps to wipe out and towers to climb, what did games use to look like? Looking through my collection I'm all over the place: Viewtiful Joe, Hulk: Ultimate Destruction, The Incredibles, Assassin's Creed up to 3, Rayman Origins, XCOM Enemy Unknown, Borderlands 2, Metal Gear Rising, etc etc the list goes on longer than anyone wants to read.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Also, they said there's a social hub, but does that mean 150 Iron Mans and 73 Captain Americas etc walking around, or something else?

edit: music games are my respite from the current mainstream of video games. There's no towers to climb or bandits to kill in Groove Coaster.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Aug 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Is it still the thing where if you group up with someone you can't have two Hulks, that would seem bad in a Destiny-like