Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Is it still the thing where if you group up with someone you can't have two Hulks, that would seem bad in a Destiny-like
That is the case, yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I'm just disappointed in what this game ended up being despite it being in development seemingly forever.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Up into a few days ago I thought it was a straightforward (and ultimately boring) setpiece-based action game. I guess it's slightly more appealing to me now (I like Ultimate Alliance 3) but there's still a million other games I'd rather play instead.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

I’m not totally against ongoing games. I put a lot of hours into destiny and destiny 2* enough to say that my experience with them ranged from: Having Actual Fun to Dogshit. The issue I have is that Destiny feels good to play, shooting guys is good and then you get to maybe get a new weapon to shoot guys better with. That’s videogames baby!

I haven’t seen anything of avengers that looks like it will be as fun to actually play. unless it actually plays like Spiderman or Hulk: ultimate destruction and I just have no idea. the only thing I know for certain is that they’re going to do an xmen dlc and have an achievement called ‘I’m the juggernaut bitch’ and everyone is going to laugh and laugh

*Destiny 2 less so cos I spent forty bucks on a dlc and it was garbage and then another one came out and I just couldn’t be bothered so actually it’s bad

e: marvel heroes let you have like a hundred iron mans running around a hub and no one cared. Not letting that happen just means someone’s gonna be pissed they’re stuck as Hawkeye instead of who they wanted

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

man nurse posted:

I reinstalled Spider-Man since I’m like two trophies away from platinum but I forgot that it means getting gold or silver in most of the challenges in order to buy all the suits, which sucks rear end, so maybe not after all?

If my old rear end can do it, you can.

Am I inspirational or what?

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

If my old rear end can do it, you can.

Am I inspirational or what?

I went ahead and did it. Right after platting Tsushima as well. Then I played a Telltale game to completion, netting me my third platinum in the last couple days. It’s been a productive weekend.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

RareAcumen posted:

There's 7 types of video game design you can strive for these days and you can throw a different skin over them and try and get people obsessed with them.

Also, much like how some people can't imagine a world without capitalism, I've forgotten what games looked like before everything was an open world game with bandit camps to wipe out and towers to climb, what did games use to look like? Looking through my collection I'm all over the place: Viewtiful Joe, Hulk: Ultimate Destruction, The Incredibles, Assassin's Creed up to 3, Rayman Origins, XCOM Enemy Unknown, Borderlands 2, Metal Gear Rising, etc etc the list goes on longer than anyone wants to read.

It’s crazy to me that MGS5 did “let’s make a series open world for no reason” really, really well. I was doing Ghost of Tsushima bandit camps trying to be stealthy and remembered how good base stuff was in mgs5

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I played Fall Guys enough today to be amused at its whole deal but to know it wasn't gonna hold my interest past a few rounds. Then I showed it to my girlfriend who's super competitive and she's been playing it all night so at least someone is getting something out of it.

I also recently rewatched Brotherhood of the Wolf and it has such a strong Bloodborne aesthetic at parts (it's about a pair of hunters in tricorners and cloaks hunting a wolf-like monster and there are even a couple trick weapons in the mix) I couldn't help but start a new game. For whatever reason I get absolutely murdered if I ever start with the saw cleaver but seem to actually do great with the axe and even moderately well with the cane. It feels weird to be so bad with the gamer's signature weapon :shrug:. I even managed to beat Gascione in one try for the first time ever this time using the axe (though Cleric Beast killed me three times and guy-with-pitchfork like four times).

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

MechaSeinfeld posted:

I’m not totally against ongoing games. I put a lot of hours into destiny and destiny 2* enough to say that my experience with them ranged from: Having Actual Fun to Dogshit. The issue I have is that Destiny feels good to play, shooting guys is good and then you get to maybe get a new weapon to shoot guys better with. That’s videogames baby!
It's pretty similar here. The actual fighting system is Spider-Man (same controls, limited enemy snapping) and finding new ways to juggle enemies midair is real fun
then it asks you to manage three zones to stand around in or avoid telegraphed environmental hazards like it's a third-person DOTA clone
It's fun when it allows itself to be, I guess. Judging from the progress bar the setpiece-laden campaign is just gonna be six missions, but maybe there's other threads

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Brotherhood of the Wolf is one of the best action movies ever and I’ve seen it easily 20 times

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Did they come up with the whip-sword before Soulcalibur

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
Fall Guys is the only game I've ever played where even griefing people feels good spirited

I always push people off platforms in the memory game who are too focused on memorising to notice what I'm doing

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Judgment is like 12 euros on PSN. Never played Yakuza but this one is supposedly pretty good right?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Fall Guys is better than I initially gave it credit for. It's quite a bit of fun but unless they go bonkers with content updates it seems like it's shelf like could be short. They need to patch that invert Y in though, some of the levels are barely playable for me. luckily it's nbd in all of the race ones since you can just set it and forget it. In the team games it's a pain in the rear end.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

WaltherFeng posted:

Judgment is like 12 euros on PSN. Never played Yakuza but this one is supposedly pretty good right?
It is, and you don't need to have played a Yakuza at all. If anything it's probably a good gateway drug :D

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Did they come up with the whip-sword before Soulcalibur

Soul Calibur didnt even come up with the whip sword first

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

WaltherFeng posted:

I haven't started it but it just takes place in the same city as Yakuza, it's not related to the Yakuza story at all. It's supposedly a really good standalone game for that reason

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Remember when you could sort of keep up with video game releases? Those were the days. There's too many games now, man.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

veni veni veni posted:

Remember when you could sort of keep up with video game releases? Those were the days. There's too many games now, man.

I bought Judgement and didn't start it, because I wanted to finish Yakuza 2

But i bought Ghost of Tsushima and i didn't finish Yakuza 2

(To be fair ff14 was taking a lot of my gaming time)

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Ruffian Price posted:

It's pretty similar here. The actual fighting system is Spider-Man (same controls, limited enemy snapping) and finding new ways to juggle enemies midair is real fun
then it asks you to manage three zones to stand around in or avoid telegraphed environmental hazards like it's a third-person DOTA clone
It's fun when it allows itself to be, I guess. Judging from the progress bar the setpiece-laden campaign is just gonna be six missions, but maybe there's other threads

so it’s fun combat until it tells you to do some finicky bullshit. Destiny is back. Peter Dinklage should voice vision

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

WaltherFeng posted:

You're basically Bruce Lee, if Bruce Lee had decided to become a Private Eye.
And you solve cases by beating people up.

Actual ingame screenshot

This gives you a good overview of what to expect and the general tone.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhXmWu3edKQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAGe6bXrrC8

It's a really really good story, and I really hope it sees a sequel.

Infinitum fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Aug 9, 2020

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Oh looks like Pierre Taki is finally off the persona non grata shitlist in Japan after doing The Drugs, cause all the Denki Groove music videos are back on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPUyybTsnRg

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

WaltherFeng posted:

Yeah it owns.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Infinitum posted:

Oh looks like Pierre Taki is finally off the persona non grata shitlist in Japan after doing The Drugs, cause all the Denki Groove music videos are back on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPUyybTsnRg

was telling an actor friend about this and they were straight up mortified by it and scared shitless about going to japan for work cos they smoked a blunt once, they thought i was just loving with them. Good to see it doesnt last forever.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Blind Rasputin posted:

It is done! I have transcended the hunt.

(Spoiler tagged photo album out of respect for those hunters)

A final prayer before the end

The time has come, old man

Didn’t appreciate my diet of umbilical cords, I see

Even in Yharnam
When I hear the church bell’s sing
I dream of Yharnam

I imagine you destroyed him but I hoped you liked the end boss!

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Vikar Jerome posted:

was telling an actor friend about this and they were straight up mortified by it and scared shitless about going to japan for work cos they smoked a blunt once, they thought i was just loving with them. Good to see it doesnt last forever.

Legitimately downloading all their music videos I was missing just in case this poo poo happens again.

Japan having a scorched earth policy for The Drugs will never not be weird to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZgP3-zcjA8

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

MechaSeinfeld posted:

so it’s fun combat until it tells you to do some finicky bullshit. Destiny is back. Peter Dinklage should voice vision

The finicky bullshit is mostly kept to the side missions, for the most part, it's just 'defend a point' or 'destroy specific targets' in the multiplayer. The single-player stuff is just good old fashioned brawling.

The more intensive multiplayer content is Destiny-like in terms of objectives, though.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I'll buy the avenger game if Dinklage does the voice of modok

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I'll just stick to Destiny

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

lol, rip

JBP posted:

I'll buy the avenger game if Dinklage does the voice of modok

That Inhuman came from the blue area of the moon!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

do not promote self harm in this thread

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Deep in my dreams and I still hear her callin'
If you're alone, I'll come home.

The Discord invite in the OP seems to have expired, and the discordgoons.com site looks like it's been hijacked? Does anyone have an updated invite or is the server dead?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Here’s a new one

The discord server in the OP isn’t used anymore, this is a newer one

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Bust Rodd posted:

I've never been able to wrap my head around Marvel games based around loot. That's not how the Marvel characters do things in the comics or the movies. Spider-Man and the X-Men and the Avengers all are mega-genius superscientists, they painstakingly craft their weapons and gear to suit their abilities. Tony Stark and Bruce Banner aren't picking through scraps to min max scattershot accuracy 5%

Spider-Man makes total sense scrounging for loot. PS4 SM is completely broke all the time and no matter how smart he is he can't make a transistor or a computer board from scratch. Just think of him as kitbashing together enemy parts into something for him.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
The boss battles in ff7r are actually really loving tedious

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

fridge corn posted:

The boss battles in ff7r are actually really loving tedious
Counterpoint: they were probably the most interesting action RPG battles I've ever experienced.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I think I enjoyed all the boss battles. Which ones overstayed their welcome?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Hell House was too long if you didn’t gear up for it correctly. Even if you did going back and fighting it on hard is a grind

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Hell House was too long if you didn’t gear up for it correctly. Even if you did going back and fighting it on hard is a grind

It's this one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I was thinking hell house, but all you need to do is equip materia and the colour commentary makes it repayable for me. I laughed like a moron at its new hard mode trick the first time. I loved it. It's quite fast if you have minimum 3/4 elemental materia, which I always tend to do.

The end boss is probably too long in that it's basically a series of fights.