Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

JodorGOATsky

imho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Flatpanelshd.com is my goto website for anything TV or monitor related. It's a great website with reviews, suggested calibration settings and latest news.

Here's their review of the LG CX: https://www.flatpanelshd.com/review.php?subaction=showfull&id=1585020920

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!

XtraSmiley posted:

Can you tell me what model you had and also what your OLED light setting is on?

I have a C9 and I have it set to 50 (out of 100) and it's plenty bright enough, but I think the ones in the OLED burn in tests were set to 70 or something a little higher, so I'm hoping this mitigates my issue. I have my TV on all the time too.

Model# is LG OLED55B7A. I can check the light setting when I get home.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
https://youtu.be/uL99NDUWJ0A The documentary about the making of Fitzcarraldo, Burden of Dreams is tight and it’s peak Herzog at his most Herzogean. That Jodorowsky clip reminded me of it.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

So right now I’m between the 85” Sony X900H LED or the LG CX 65” OLED.

I understand Oled produces better blacks and colors, but I’m wary of burn in. Would the difference in picture quality also be worth losing 20 inches of screen over?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Imhotep posted:

https://youtu.be/uL99NDUWJ0A The documentary about the making of Fitzcarraldo, Burden of Dreams is tight and it’s peak Herzog at his most Herzogean. That Jodorowsky clip reminded me of it.

Burden of Dreams is one of the top 3 documentaries ever made imho

zorch
Nov 28, 2006

I've had a 65" LG EG9600 for four years and have yet to have any issues with burn in :confused:

Heavy usage, OLED light setting is at 60, brightness is at 50

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

man nurse posted:

I understand Oled produces better blacks and colors, but I’m wary of burn in. Would the difference in picture quality also be worth losing 20 inches of screen over?

Do you have a giant tv room? Like most people who own one, I am an LG fanboy. On my second 65" 4k, first was Samsung, and it isn't close. Sony seems to be worse than Samsung.

If you don't have a giant tv room I'd go with lg.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

JodorGOATsky

imho

R a p i n g! our collective eyes and minds, ...but with love, with love.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

man nurse posted:

No, IMO. I'd rather have a great 85" vs a smaller OLED.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

zenintrude posted:

OLED has perfect black levels and better color than LED/QLED... what you want your TV to do, it does better/more accurately.

Lots of QLEDs have more vibrant lights than a lot of OLEDs with comparable if not quite as good blacks - current QLEDs are basically a super LED until the actual ones come out a year or two from now (and will probably be more expensive than OLEDs). Anything in that range is pretty much fine for film and gaming use. If I was gonna go 80+ though, I'd do OLED since most of those are pretty future proof for a while at that size, while LEDs are just trying for a cheaper option.

Darko fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Sep 18, 2020

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

man nurse posted:

The extra 20" in diagonal width means the TV is actually nearly twice as big. I'd take that over perfect blacks and theoretical 120 fps, but that's just me.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

fridge corn posted:

I didnt believe any of the rumours lol. Ff16?? Nah theres no way. I literally yelped out loud when I realised what I was looking at though. When main theme of FF started playing I got goosebumps

You know, I like a positive fridge corn post. I could get used to this.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean every game is flawed you aren’t going to find a perfect game.

I know people are going to say their favorite is perfect but that game probably has flaws you ignore because you enjoy the rest so much

Yes that's how love works

Imhotep posted:

I gotta say, I’m not as into Tim’s non-Kotaku stuff, it’s a bit too self indulgent, even for Tim Rogers. But I watched a stream of him watching his own review of Death Stranding and he was just belly laughing at his own jokes, and it was pretty funny, it reminded me of this good video where he dumps on DKC for like an hour, but at 22 minutes he shows a video of him telling a story about a DKC shirt he got as a pre order bonus and laughs the same way he was in the stream and it’s great https://youtu.be/utTt0su6WMM (it’s at 22 minutes, I’m on mobile and never figured out how to manually add time stamps)

And I don’t think he’ll ever do stuff like this again with his own Patreon page or whatever https://youtu.be/43a2H7LQ1Xs

I dunno, that FF7R vid was pretty god drat legendary imo

Necrothatcher posted:

I wish I'd bought DS3 on PS4. For whatever reason the PC version is completely broken on my computer (which is way above the recommended specs) with massive frame drops and no solution. I gave up when I made the game run like this and The Ringed City DLC was STILL at 5fps.

Knowing what that area really looks like that picture makes me want to cry

blackguy32 posted:

This looks like it was made in Dreams.

Dreams looks leagues better

Sioux posted:

PC Master Race :laugh:

lawl

exquisite tea posted:

From's PC history is sloppy and shameful!

ftfy

well, not much one can say to that but 'ouch'

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Inspect your Gadgets has a fairly helpful home theatre thread if you really wanna dive deep.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

man nurse posted:

I cant even fit an 85 anywhere in my loft really, but I'd get one over any 65 if I could. The loss youre taking in quality is more than balanced by the larger size and advantages there.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

acksplode posted:

I'm miffed at not getting a Sony preorder invite after buying digital games off their store like a sucker all generation. That's fine, two can play this game, I'm not inviting Sony to my birthday

Same. I bought digital games constantly this generation. I grabbed something nearly every sale. I'm their perfect customer.

I feel slighted.

zorch
Nov 28, 2006

edit: nvm

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

man nurse posted:

Are you going to play games on it?

What is more important, movies or games?

If it is movies, then get the OLED.
If it is games, then get the OLED.

Why? Because the OLED is better at EVERYTHING than the Sony. The only thing the Sony has is it is bigger. The OLED is cheaper, too. Especially if you watch slickdeals every day. You can get the 65 OLED for $1500 or so. It's pretty consistently around $2k, but it does drop down to $1500ish.

Go to Best Buy and look at the OLED in person before you make a decision.

I was considering getting the TCL that people like so much. So I went and looked at it. Then I looked at all the others. Then I looked at the OLED. Now I have an OLED.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/geoffkeighley/status/1307029165279862784?s=21

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

As if Jim Ryan doesn't have one delivered to Keighley in a limo.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

I sort of regret using Amazon for a purchase this year because the most reliable source of getting a product on release has always been Best Buy same day in store pickup. Unfortunately they hosed up big time so it wasn't in the cards.

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

ShoogaSlim posted:

ADVICE for anyone buying a 65" TV: do not be a dumb idiot like me and attempt to set it up and get it on your TV stand completely by yourself. i'm amazed the thing didn't snap in half while i barely hoisted it up. moving is going to be fun

Assuming you're talking about LG's OLEDs specifically this is so true. It's absolutely nerve wracking moving them since the top half is paper thin and visibly wobbles whenever you touch it. It's such a pain in the rear end to get the base on, as well. The instructions say to put it face down, but that doesn't work since the base extends beyond the front of the panel. I had to have my friend help my guide the panel onto the stand as it was place on top of my TV console.

I moved after buying a C9 and I'm insanely glad I kept the box with the custom molded styrofoam. No idea how I would have moved it otherwise.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Euphoriaphone posted:

Assuming you're talking about LG's OLEDs specifically this is so true. It's absolutely nerve wracking moving them since the top half is paper thin and visibly wobbles whenever you touch it. It's such a pain in the rear end to get the base on, as well. The instructions say to put it face down, but that doesn't work since the base extends beyond the front of the panel. I had to have my friend help my guide the panel onto the stand as it was place on top of my TV console.

I moved after buying a C9 and I'm insanely glad I kept the box with the custom molded styrofoam. No idea how I would have moved it otherwise.

I'll take this to moving my old JVC i'Art tube television that weighed probably 150 pounds by myself and having my entire leg that I rested it on become one massive bruise :/ Times have changed for the better.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

XtraSmiley posted:

Can you tell me what model you had and also what your OLED light setting is on?

I have a C9 and I have it set to 50 (out of 100) and it's plenty bright enough, but I think the ones in the OLED burn in tests were set to 70 or something a little higher, so I'm hoping this mitigates my issue. I have my TV on all the time too.

fwiw HDR cranks the brightness up all the way, and HDR is going to always be on when you're playing games.

Tomathan
Nov 6, 2006
They won't let us wear our baggy pants
I recommend gaming on a 150" projector screen. But I value the size over the color quality by a lot.

Just for fun this is a 65 inch screen vs 150 inch screen
http://displaywars.com/150-inch-16x9-vs-65-inch-16x9

Tomathan fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Sep 18, 2020

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Wonder if the pope ordered via Wario64s midnight link, too

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Same. I wonder if they got told they're gonna get fewer systems than they were promised for launch when they opened pre-orders.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
Everyone I know that preordered got the same email. I think Amazon just sent it out to everyone.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Waltzing Along posted:

Are you going to play games on it?

What is more important, movies or games?

If it is movies, then get the OLED.
If it is games, then get the OLED.

Why? Because the OLED is better at EVERYTHING than the Sony. The only thing the Sony has is it is bigger. The OLED is cheaper, too. Especially if you watch slickdeals every day. You can get the 65 OLED for $1500 or so. It's pretty consistently around $2k, but it does drop down to $1500ish.

Go to Best Buy and look at the OLED in person before you make a decision.

I was considering getting the TCL that people like so much. So I went and looked at it. Then I looked at all the others. Then I looked at the OLED. Now I have an OLED.

Saying the CX is cheaper than the X900h when you’re talking about a set that’s 20” smaller isn’t making much of a point. Also good luck finding the 65” CX at $1500, even on Greentoe.

New LED TVs are really good. OLEDs generally cost about twice as much. OLEDs are better, but I don’t know if they’re twice as good, especially if you’d have burn in paranoia like I would.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I’m having a hard time deciding. Also what’s the goon recommend one that’s thrown around a lot? TCL something, right? I’m assuming that doesn’t have HDMI 2.1 though

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

JodorGOATsky

imho

Tomathan
Nov 6, 2006
They won't let us wear our baggy pants
Here is God of war playing on an epson 3800 projector. Playstation vr for scale.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

man nurse posted:

I’m having a hard time deciding.
OLED

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

man nurse posted:

I’m having a hard time deciding. Also what’s the goon recommend one that’s thrown around a lot? TCL something, right? I’m assuming that doesn’t have HDMI 2.1 though

Go to BB and see them in person.
And you haven't told your usage. How much gaming vs other? Do you care more about size or technique? Oh wait, that's something different.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

man nurse posted:

The TCL 6 Series. It's a really good TV if you're on a budget, but since you were ready to spend 2.4k on a TV we stepped in and offered OLEDs. It's entirely up to you. Personally, I don't put much stock in TV size. Mine's 55" and it's a wonderful TV. Some folks like them bigger. OLED, however, is the hotness right now and will be a pretty great TV to playing video games on and watch movies.

But yeah, head to a local Best Buy and see one in person if you can. They tend to be the showcase of the whole department.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Hello! I have missed the last 10 pages or so because I have been obsessively playing Mario 64. I hope you are all well and that there haven’t been too many posts from people who didn’t manage to snag pre-orders talking about how it’s a conspiracy.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Here ya go:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-88-class-zx-series-oled-8k-uhd-smart-webos-tv/6401911.p?skuId=6401911

Not only is it bigger than the Sony, but it is OLED AND most importantly, it is a future proof 8k!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Shammypants posted:

I sort of regret using Amazon for a purchase this year because the most reliable source of getting a product on release has always been Best Buy same day in store pickup. Unfortunately they hosed up big time so it wasn't in the cards.

I'm getting it shipped from Best Buy because it didn't look like in-store pickup was an option. That's what I wanted to do as well.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I will never buy an OLED because I will forever be just one random night where my wife forgets to turn it off when she goes to bed away from having the OSMC UI burnt into it forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Get a Trinitron and make sure it has a component input.