Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Samurai Sanders posted:

I figured it would be like the PS4 to the PS4 pro, where every game made after it's release will support at least some of its extra power natively, and for games from the past it will just be a matter of when the developer decides to patch it. Or never at all...I'm looking squarely at you, Bloodborne.

Yeah, there’s apparently a boost mode equivalent with many games that improves frame rate and load times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I assume that most PS4 games will never get an upgrade to haptic feedback or 3D sound though.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
I remember Sony had a program with PS3 to PS4 games that was also $10 to upgrade. It was only a few games that I think were getting released on both consoles at launch of the PS4.

Zongerian
Apr 23, 2020

by Cyrano4747

GreenBuckanneer posted:

How is 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim?

It sounds interesting, the art is kind of not appealing though.

Update in case your eyes aren't smoldering craters from reading all the awesome posts about spiderman compatibility in this thread, if you think you might like 13 sentinels you are probably right

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

In all fairness I guess that makes sense since PS5 games are going up to $70. Otherwise you could just buy the PS4 version, and play it for 10 bux off. It’s the same as just buying a Ps5 game outright.

It just kinda proves the $10 increase is total bullshit and not justified though.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Rad Valtar posted:

I remember Sony had a program with PS3 to PS4 games that was also $10 to upgrade. It was only a few games that I think were getting released on both consoles at launch of the PS4.

This is true, it was thankfully a short lived thing during the transition between consoles, which is always a headache with new consoles.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Snagged a copy today, the physical version has a nice little artbook included.

Anime...is good.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I said come in! posted:

It just kinda proves the $10 increase is total bullshit and not justified though.

As much as I hate to say it, I don’t think a 10 dollar price increase is unreasonable. Game prices have been static for like 15 years now while everything else goes up in price.

Of course I want to pay less money and not more, but a price increase seemed inevitable.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Anime...is good.
Did it come with a code for the digital art app thing like in Japan? I actually really enjoyed it.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

RatHat posted:

PS4 games won’t run better on the PS5 right?

Hopefully games with uncapped framerates/variable resolutions will run, look and load better.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Anime...is good.

My copy arrived in the mail today with the little preorder artbook. I have to wait till after work to play it though :negative:.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
i'm ok with 70$ games as long as they're complete and not another 30$ in DLC 3 months later, but that is unlikely to happen

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Do y'all think that game companies aren't making enough money or something? The only reason to increase game prices is "because we can" and maybe "gently caress you, you'll pay it anyway."

Oh excuse me, there's also "gently caress you pay me, and also please buy my funbucks"

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Final Fantasy 12 is on sale again in Japan, but even it's sale price is close to a full priced game, which seems bizarre to me as an upscaled PS2 game that's been out for like 3 years now. Is it really so good on the PS4?

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I am used how things work on PC.

On PC you have a game, and update your graphic card, and you can now play this game in high-res, high-refresh rate, high-resolution textures. You don't even have to reinstall the game.

With more VRAM and a beefier GPU, the existing game engine can do that.

I understand that console games are more intimally build for the hardware they have to run, that they use framerate limited phiysics* and use for(t=1;t<100000;t;) {t++;} to create delays.

That to use more VRM, they have to recompile the game. That the games are released with the resolution of textures that will be visible, and not more in most cases.

Is one of these things where is free and instant in PC, where in consoles cost money, is cumbersome, complex and annoying.

Edit:
* a faster CPU can break some things, like make the public in a sport game move x2 faster

Tei fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Sep 25, 2020

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Final Fantasy 12 is on sale again in Japan, but even it's sale price is close to a full priced game, which seems bizarre to me as an upscaled PS2 game that's been out for like 3 years now. Is it really so good on the PS4?

It's the same as any of the other ports (PC, XB1, Switch) now that they patched in class changing and having pages of gambits to switch between from the XB1/Switch versions.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Achmed Jones posted:

Do y'all think that game companies aren't making enough money or something? The only reason to increase game prices is "because we can" and maybe "gently caress you, you'll pay it anyway."

Oh excuse me, there's also "gently caress you pay me, and also please buy my funbucks"

I'm torn. The increase in price does seem like "oh its a New Generation so you're gonna pay New Generation Prices" which is horseshit since I don't want to pay $125 for a game. It turns it from a nice $70 treat for myself to an actual luxury item that I will have to make concessions for if I want to buy day 1. Like, an extra 50 bucks isn't going to kill me, but it's just feels like too much now. 3 figures for a toy every few months. It's like, a video game the same price as a food processor so it's just a mental hurdle.

but also bigger games require more artists and programmers and poo poo and if games are more expensive maybe they'll be paid more? and won't get fired the minute they launch a game? and won't be exploited by management?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Samurai Sanders posted:

Did it come with a code for the digital art app thing like in Japan? I actually really enjoyed it.

I don't think so :(

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

MechaSeinfeld posted:

but also bigger games require more artists and programmers and poo poo and if games are more expensive maybe they'll be paid more? and won't get fired the minute they launch a game? and won't be exploited by management?

Search your heart

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Samurai Sanders posted:

I wish FF12 had the same cheat/accessibility options as the PS1 remasters did.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Here in Spain on the european PSN shop. "Doom Eternal" is offered for 70 EUR. On the PSN shop is for sale at 56$ that is 51 EUR. On october 1 it will release on the game pass, so if you have game pass you don't have to pay to play it.

Europe PSN: 70 EUR
USA PSN: 51 EUR
XBox Game Pass: FREE

This is with the old price system, with the new price system it will be like this

Europe PSN: 80 EUR
USA PSN: 58 EUR

I think is that expensive in the european psn because taxes.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Achmed Jones posted:

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

OxMan posted:

Search your heart

lol

:(

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

I don't think so :(
That's too bad. I've never seen anything else like it for a PS4 game. Besides copies of all the in-game art, it has all the sprites and all of their animations, a bunch of deleted content like prototype sprites that didn't get into the final game, and it has a diabolical Where's Waldo type minigame with multiple goals and stuff. It was a really fun hour or two to go through that stuff.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Tei posted:

Here in Spain on the european PSN shop. "Doom Eternal" is offered for 70 EUR. On the PSN shop is for sale at 56$ that is 51 EUR. On october 1 it will release on the game pass, so if you have game pass you don't have to pay to play it.

Europe PSN: 70 EUR
USA PSN: 51 EUR

This is with the old price system, with the new price system it will be like this

Europe PSN: 80 EUR
USA PSN: 58 EUR

I think is that expensive in the european psn because taxes.

You can currently buy it for 16.99€ retail including taxes here in Germany. PSN is price gauging again.

Edit: You may be able to order it from Amazon.de for 20+shipping to Spain. Would be cheaper for you.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

veni veni veni posted:

As much as I hate to say it, I don’t think a 10 dollar price increase is unreasonable. Game prices have been static for like 15 years now while everything else goes up in price.

Of course I want to pay less money and not more, but a price increase seemed inevitable.
Prices have been static but the audience size has exploded. The industry does not need this boost, it just facilitates further expansion, not save jobs.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
It is a shame you cannot just buy upgrades for Spider-man (if you want a remastered copy) but a big difference between the two system makers is Microsoft want every game they release to work on all xboxes and PC - so this means going all the way back to the xbox one.

I do not recall Sony asking for that, only that every game from a specific month this year now work on PS5.

Free upgrades would be nice though and it is great every time I see a company do that. The amount of free upgrades I have gotten on Steam for remastered versions has been great and I think it would be great if all console gamers got that too.

If they are remasters and not remakes, free would be nice because that is usually a res bump and a faster frame rate. A full on remake I would love a big old discount for already owning the original. It seems fairer that way.

Getting a remake for free though? :getin: thank you for when this has happened!

In Spider-man's case, it would be a good idea to give people an option to upgrade rather than buy the whole MM package. I mean, look at the recent Control fallout. You do not need this negativity right now.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

That PS5 games are $10 more expensive but not guaranteed to be "next generation better" is not a great place to be in. You want to draw lines, do it.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pr892reErOM

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Right now there's a bigger variety of different prices of video games than I've ever experienced in my life and it's great. If AAAAA games that were made by 100,000 people across six continents are 10 bucks more, that doesn't bother me at all. I don't play so many of those games anymore anyway.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

I paid 80 or so bucks for three mostly unchanged ROMs so my idea of value is skewed

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Hopper posted:

You can currently buy it for 16.99€ retail including taxes here in Germany. PSN is price gauging again.

Edit: You may be able to order it from Amazon.de for 20+shipping to Spain. Would be cheaper for you.

Oh you mean retail- for a moment I misunderstood psn-

I guess retail prices can be much lower than digital- lack of competition on the digital market

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Samurai Sanders posted:

It's better than it was on ps2 but not by much :shrug:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I've just started The Outer Worlds. This might be the last fallout game I ever play!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It's bad

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

don't sign you are postss

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

fridge corn posted:

I've just started The Outer Worlds. This might be the last fallout game I ever play!
Get ready for a shitload of both sidesism about corporate feudalism. Maybe owning the town that all your workers work and live in and controlling every aspect of their life is bad, but maybe it's actually...good?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

I played it. I gave it every chance. I attacked no playtime negative posters in the thread and fended off the obnoxious loving Disco Elysium posters. I did the time. It was bad.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Disco Elysium is a boring game fight me on action mountain I will destroy you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

veni veni veni posted:

I have been of this opinion as well. Then again, it is rare that I just buy a new game straight up outright. But we have seen how games kind of tried to get through all of this through microtransactions and DLC, etc. Gaming has always been an expensive hobby for various reasons. I don't see any reason why that would change now.

As for the upgrade confusion about PS4 titles, isn't this going to be a temporary thing? I can't imagine that this confusion is going to last all that long into the next generation as more and more new PS5 games come out.

Akuma posted:

Prices have been static but the audience size has exploded. The industry does not need this boost, it just facilitates further expansion, not save jobs.

Yes, but is that audience size translating into most aspects of gaming? To me it feels like that audience is spread into many different niches with maybe a lot of overlap on heavily marketed titles like TLOU2. I think the niches of gaming are suffering the most, stuff like Outward that kind of fly under the radar except for some dedicated gamers looking for a very particular experience.