Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

One thing about playing online last night was that I was listening to the stream while playing so there was this super delay between what I was doing and then hearing your reaction to it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Quantum of Phallus posted:

One thing about playing online last night was that I was listening to the stream while playing so there was this super delay between what I was doing and then hearing your reaction to it!

Yeah :( This is why I was streaming Dead Space 2 via discord to just my bestie because it was instant! I wish there was no twitch delay.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

VideoGames posted:

But good enough to help a hunter ;D !!

Coincidentally, I did a quick listen to the stream and wow that microphone is better.

As such, does anyone have any recommendations for a cheap headset (£20 - £30) that is USB with a microphone that you can swivel up and down? The one I used last night was awesome, but is about 8 years old and is one I borrowed from Lady VG. I cannot find that model anymore and it only cost me £15.

Any recommendations would be surper! :D

https://www.amazon.com/NUBWO-headsets-Headset-Headphones-Canceling/dp/B07KXMMXKP?th=1&psc=1
These are okay, I’ve heard myself watching random old streams that I did with friends and it sounds fine, but they’re surprisingly comfortable. And I had basically this pair but without the volume adjustment thing, the pop filter was stupid and just slid onto the mic, *over* the mute button so I had to take it off if I wanted to mute my mic. But the one I linked appears to have fixed that but everything else looks identical and are genuinely as good as overpriced like $100 headsets my friends have had that they got from GameStop. But also someone recommended a little mic attachment, and that’s what I would do but yeah I was surprised by these, mine were like 20 bucks as well, so you can maybe find something similar to that model but even cheaper.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

hahah yeah that was very funny

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

VideoGames posted:

Yeah :( This is why I was streaming Dead Space 2 via discord to just my bestie because it was instant! I wish there was no twitch delay.

Maybe we could do a party chat or something. I kept losing where you were as well and I was afraid to go ahead :ohdear:

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Maybe we could do a party chat or something. I kept losing where you were as well and I was afraid to go ahead :ohdear:

Sure! I have no idea about parties. Mostly I play games solo because of panic about letting fellow teammates down. Video gaming performance anxiety if you will ;)

But yes I am up for psarty stuff if it makes voice chat easier! I was exploring and wandering off constantly and realising you guys were elsewhere and thinking I had gone the wrong way a lot!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
But then BP wouldn’t be able to watch cos he’s so whiny about discord

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

You can still stream it to Twitch, though

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Oh yes the gameplay would still go to twitch. I do not have the hardware for going in via pc or any of those cool streamer setups. I am doing this just for fun because I have discovered I love playing this game this way with you all :)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah I just meant using the PS4 party chat!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Escobarbarian posted:

But then BP wouldn’t be able to watch cos he’s so whiny about discord

Just put an empty can of corn with a string attached to it next to your computer and he will be able to find his way there.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.
Looking at the xbox expanded drive versus the compatible options for the ps5 the prices look to be around the same at 1tb like for like. How much difference the increased speed will make isn't as easy to work out at this point, it might be that only Sony exclusives will make full use of the hard drive and everything else will just baseline to the series x/s speed.

PST fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Oct 29, 2020

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
At least I have nothing to compare the new party chat to! Never used the old party system. Is it still weird to those who have used both?

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

VideoGames posted:

At least I have nothing to compare the new party chat to! Never used the old party system. Is it still weird to those who have used both?

It feels janky, it's never been great though (edit: but better than it is now. Twice this week we've had it saying someone's joined, but they haven't, and then 5 mins later they're in, so not sure what's up with that.)

PST fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Oct 29, 2020

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Never using the perfectly functional, common sense PS4 party chat before will probably give you the distinct advantage of not wanting to throw your ps4 out the window while using the new, heinously bad one.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

RareAcumen posted:

Jesus Christ that's nearly as much as a PS4 Pro!

They did put a state of the art SSD in the new consoles, after all. Even for PC gamers the PCIe 4.0 drives are a new thing. The more I think about it the more I'm surprised they actually went so overboard with it. They could have just put even a regular SATA SSD in there and if the games were optimized for it, it should have still blown everything we're used to out of the water.

Not that I'm complaining — I'm glad this generation consoles won't be dragging everything down because they put an old HDD in there or something.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Crossposting from PSVR thread

:siren: If you're grabbing a PS5, you will need an adaptor to get your headset working on it. :siren:
The adaptor site went live today, and after a little delay seems to be working finally.

https://www.playstation.com/camera-adaptor

Punch in your PSVR serial numbers + address details and they'll mail you a free adaptor.
Even if you're not planning on getting a PS5 until later, it's probably worth your time getting the adaptor now.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
I'm watching VG's bloodborne journey because I can't watch it as it happens and I keep trying to type in the chat for jolly text cooperation

:(

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

morestuff posted:

Yeah, but that's still probably a few years from now and assumes the price will never drop on the MS card. And also you still have to pry open and unscrew your console

You should go back and look at how the Vita memory card pricing was relative to microSD card prices. The SRP of a 32 gig microSD card was roughly what the cost of 32 gig Vita memory cards were in early 2012. Guess what happened to microSD prices and what happened to Vita memory card prices after that.

The issue with a proprietary format is that it's proprietary, and in the case of Microsoft's storage people have no reason at all to buy one unless it's for Series S|X game storage. As there are people out there who will never expand their storage (especially at this price), the absolute best-case scenario for sales numbers would still be less than 1 storage card sold for every Series S|X sold (some people will be weird and get multiple but they won't be outdone by the people who never buy one).

The SSDs that are fast enough for a PS5 can also be installed in laptop and desktop PCs, which puts their theoretical sales numbers well above 1:1 for PS5s sold (e.g. anyone building a gaming PC today would want an M.2 SSD, and will get one that's PS5-level speeds if their budget allows for it). That, coupled with the fact that multiple manufacturers can make this type of SSD and force price competition between them, means there's a lot more market forces pushing the prices to lower than there are with the Series S|X storage cards.

In terms of raw storage capacity, both Series S|X storage and PS5 storage are roughly equivalent pricing per TB right now, although the PS5 storage is a few times faster than the Xbox's storage. A comparable speed M.2 SSD to the Series S|X storage is a lot cheaper, in fact I paid less for 2tb of storage when I did my gaming PC upgrade 2 years ago than what Microsoft wants for a 1TB card that's faster than the storage I got, but minimally so.

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

This could get emotional...

PST posted:

Looking at the xbox expanded drive versus the compatible options for the ps5 the prices look to be around the same at 1tb like for like. How much difference the increased speed will make isn't as easy to work out at this point, it might be that only Sony exclusives will make full use of the hard drive and everything else will just baseline to the series x/s speed.

The difference being that the PS5 compatible drives will drop in price as time goes by, SSD storage prices have dropped massively in the last few years.

It's a pretty safe bet that the proprietary drives the xbox is using will never see a price drop

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011
Forget pricing, this is what matters:

univbee posted:

The issue with a proprietary format is that it's proprietary, and in the case of Microsoft's storage people have no reason at all to buy one unless it's for Series S|X game storage.

The SSDs that are fast enough for a PS5 can also be installed in laptop and desktop PCs

Also when the PS5/XS are retro, it'll probably be easier to find brand new SSDs that meet the PS5 specs than the discontinued proprietary sort MS uses.

EDIT: other than that, the Xbox cards are actually much better on practice, plug and play is definitely a huge plus. I still prefer the annoying but flexible PS5 solution any day, though.

Storm One fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Oct 29, 2020

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Wonder if/when someone will make an adapter for the Xbox cards or will it have to be homebrewed like an SD2Vita.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I love my little SD2Vita card.
I have a 128gb micro SD in my vita that cost me £16 and it has all my games on there.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

univbee posted:

Microsoft's storage people

Like the People Under the Stairs but even more shut-in, twisted, and evil.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Escobarbarian posted:

Great VG stream tonight! Shoutout to fellow summoners Vikar, Guillermus, and QoP, and a big FU to the invader who hid and killed me right before Veeg met Logarius lmao

lol is there no item like in ds2, where you can turn the enemies against invaders or trick them? that was so cool trolling them in ds2, hiding in plain sight either by dressing up as enemies or using that spell.

VideoGames posted:

That was an amazing six hours of Bloodborne.

We knocked out Shadow of Yarnham, Ron the vacuous spider and the reborn one.

Logarius I took off half his health on my first attempt before I died and called it a night. I also feel fine about letting 20k echoes go. I have realised that it is not about echoes but about the hunt. There will always be echoes to collect as long as there are beasts to hunt.

Thank you so much Esco, Quantum, Vikar and Guillermus for multiplaying with me and providing me support and strength! It is a boost feeling like a powerful gamer with a powerful crew! I think I might rep the gang tag once I complete the game :3: maybe sooner! I wonder if there is a Kirby bloodborne graphic I could have as an avatar hehe.

Also thank you to all those who watched and commented and had fun with me. I love streaming!

What a game!!!

it was tons of fun! after i left i ended up beating Rom and i'm just wandering around soaking things up, knocking on doors. sounds like you already shot way past lol

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

yeah i noticed that too haha it was super weird.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Vikar Jerome posted:

lol is there no item like in ds2, where you can turn the enemies against invaders or trick them? that was so cool trolling them in ds2, hiding in plain sight either by dressing up as enemies or using that spell.

it was tons of fun! after i left i ended up beating Rom and i'm just wandering around soaking things up, knocking on doors. sounds like you already shot way past lol

I got pointed in the direction of a really neat castle, but with flea enemies who squick me out.

Some of the enemies in this game have been tough to battle against because of my phobia!

And the cheeky invader who got Esco was hiding in such a cheeky place! I just legged it out of there straight into a boss fight. And I got Logarius down to half health on my first go without any help, so my thoughts on my skill levels are definitely in the positives now :D Every enemy is just a little more practice away from being hunted!

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

the dream still lives

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Infinitum posted:

Crossposting from PSVR thread

:siren: If you're grabbing a PS5, you will need an adaptor to get your headset working on it. :siren:
The adaptor site went live today, and after a little delay seems to be working finally.

https://www.playstation.com/camera-adaptor

Punch in your PSVR serial numbers + address details and they'll mail you a free adaptor.
Even if you're not planning on getting a PS5 until later, it's probably worth your time getting the adaptor now.

Note that if you are in the US / Canada / Mexico you have to use this URL: https://global.support.playstation.com/s/pscamera-adaptor?language=en_US

And also, note that for the first 1-50 times your put in your serial number and hit "Next" it will say "Oops, and error occurred". Just keep deleting and pasting your serial number back in and hitting "Next" again. Do not reload the page! Eventually it will work and show you the address form.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Never forget.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

i wanted that so bad. still kinda do.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

exquisite tea posted:

Never forget.

I genuinely would use something like that, especially if it was as comfortale as the WiiU pad. I like my arms being far away. Sometimes when I play switch I lie back on the sofa with my arms stretched out like a starfish and play with each joycon that way.

Not often, because the joycons are not particularly nice to use, but I appreciate that aspect.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I am legitimately hoping Cyberpunk 2077 has KBM support on the PS5

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Infinitum posted:

I am legitimately hoping Cyberpunk 2077 has KBM support on the PS5

Congrats buddy, CDPR saw this and now the game is delayed another six weeks :argh:

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Congrats buddy, CDPR saw this and now the game is delayed another six weeks :argh:

hahahaha

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Oh no octuple crunch! :ohdear:

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
Any idea why I can't get PS Remote play to work on my laptop? I downloaded it last night and it won't even open. Looking online it seems a lot of people had this problem after updating windows 10, which I did a while ago. I tried changing the compatibility to windows 8, 7, and whatever else like people suggested online. But that didn't work. Turned off my firewall. Redownloaded the app and microsoft visual c++ and still nothing. Works just fine on my phone.

Running a dell laptop with nvidia geforce 920m.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=C7NqSTQvRBw

More DeS remake gameplay. Looks nice. Too bad I won’t be able to play it for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frosteh
Apr 30, 2009

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

Any idea why I can't get PS Remote play to work on my laptop? I downloaded it last night and it won't even open. Looking online it seems a lot of people had this problem after updating windows 10, which I did a while ago. I tried changing the compatibility to windows 8, 7, and whatever else like people suggested online. But that didn't work. Turned off my firewall. Redownloaded the app and microsoft visual c++ and still nothing. Works just fine on my phone.

Running a dell laptop with nvidia geforce 920m.

What CPU do you have? I believe the minimum requirements were updated when they released the new version of the app. It looks like if you have anything older than an Intel 7th Gen CPU it will not work.

I had the same problem, and was using an old laptop to play remotely with an older CPU. I bought a new laptop for a good deal during the Amazon Prime Day sale with an Intel 10th Gen i3 and now the app works great.