Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
Yeah that fight is a hell of a thing, I needed to kill it multiple times for the armour (Artillery is a good damage buff for Charge Blades) and we did it seven times in one day without managing to kill it. That final chamber is also a nightmare. I'd suggest taking 3 Blastblight resistance decorations because every time you stand on the thing's slime it triggers blastblight even if it doesn't explode, so getting that immunity means you have less to worry about. Still a really tough fight though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Its also an excellent fight to bring divine protection or learning to stay down if hit once because he follows up often and then everything explodes too.

It’s a real fun fight. One of my favorite ones because of how aggressive and big he is. Focus on breaking the head so you get the reward even if you fail at the end.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

its quite fun on ps5. still get the odd crash tho and glitch in the ol eye cyberware matrix but uh yeah.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Cyberpunk 2077 is the best game ever made in the history of man

No, I will not be taking any further questions

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Rocket Pan posted:

Greetings PlayStation goons. I'm a developer from Nightdive studios and come from the far lands of the Early FPS Megathread and bear good tidings: https://twitter.com/NightdiveStudio/status/1364809208034590722

might triple dip just for the trophies.

well i guess quad dip if you count the original n64

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

just got a news report that anthem got cancelled? shame it never came out. :(

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

https://www.callofduty.com/blog/2021/02/Season-Two-Briefing-and-File-Size-Intel

Speaking of hideously unoptimised games:

quote:

Those who own a standard PlayStation 4 with a default hard drive of 500 GB may need to make room if they have the full versions of Modern Warfare®/Warzone and Black Ops Cold War with all modes and packs installed.

what the fuuuuck

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

This might be the first time since late era floppy disk games that a game might be having its bottom line impacted by the fact that it simply takes up too much space on the hard drive.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Sony's fault for hoarding 60 gigs....

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

fuckin lol

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

Sony's fault for hoarding 60 gigs....

wait until you get a ps5 and you see the "other" tab on the ssd randomly changing in size! mine was 90gb last i checked. :eyepop:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

the Other on my PS4 is over 100GB :thunk:

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Turok on N64 was one of my favorite games so I can’t wait to go back and see how much it actually sucks

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

boop the snoot posted:

Turok on N64 was one of my favorite games so I can’t wait to go back and see how much it actually sucks

1 is really good! It was maybe the first FPS I ever played back in the day so it was a blast playing it again on Switch.

2 is... not so good.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

And everyone laughed when Destiny 2 announced that it was becoming unmanageably large and the devs started taking content out themselves

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

And I thought that Battlefield 1 was huge at 121Gb...

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Call of Duty should just release their own COD console at this point.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Incredible. So much data wasted.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I know on PC some people manually do install footprint reductions with some strategic file manipulation and I wonder how low they got CoD games. There really is no excuse for that level of bloat, I think 100 gigs should be the ceiling for an install size and that's if you're doing elaborate cutscenes like The Last of Us 2.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

univbee posted:

I know on PC some people manually do install footprint reductions with some strategic file manipulation and I wonder how low they got CoD games. There really is no excuse for that level of bloat, I think 100 gigs should be the ceiling for an install size and that's if you're doing elaborate cutscenes like The Last of Us 2.

Ostensibly, next-gen consoles should help to mitigate gargantuan install sizes as game engines develop more proprietary tech to automatically scale image quality without having to make a whole bunch of duplicate files at varying draw distances.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

exquisite tea posted:

I love the running theme itt of PN and BP reposting that 40 minute GoW video to each other that nobody else will ever watch.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Rocket Pan posted:

Greetings PlayStation goons. I'm a developer from Nightdive studios and come from the far lands of the Early FPS Megathread and bear good tidings: https://twitter.com/NightdiveStudio/status/1364809208034590722

I remember as a kid just turning on all the godmode cheats and going to town lol

Rage Wars when :v:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

exquisite tea posted:

CP2077 has a lot of easily diagnosable technical issues, but once those are fixed people are gonna see that it offers a pretty hollow roleplaying experience as well. And that's really disappointing, because those aspects are likely never truly going to be addressed.

I wonder, did people feel similarly about Human Revolution? A successor to THE Deus Ex was heralded as the next wave of immersive gaming, and time has shown that ImSim FPS//RPG hybrids, combining RPG inventory and character progression systems with First-Person combat, have been mainstays in the environment ever since...

But Jensen, a good and pretty fleshed out and relatable character, IMO, doesn't radically differ depending on your actions. Whether or not you're a totally dehumanized cyborg slaughterhouse or silent and apolitical phantom weaving between the raindrops, the narrative of the games never really changes, and you don't adapt more than a few lines of dialogue at the beginning of or the end of major plot missions. Otherwise your RPG choices begin and end with "what gets all your praxis points first" and managing your tetris inventory. I seriously don't remember that thread really lamenting the linearity of the plot, which was kind of equally sad story about a man risking everything for girlfriend (and maybe his dog) only to discover that she effectively used him, betrayed him, and was more of a Hojo style mad scientist in the first place. Are the Adam Jensen games RPGs? Because if you compare Adam Jensen to Geralt of Rivia, I think you'll find two characters whose histories, personalities, and mannerisms are basically completely static throughout the narrative, regardless of where they end up. No one questions whether or not The Witcher in an RPG though, so i'm left to conclude that Deus Ex is also an RPG, since all of the social RPG elements are essentially delivered in the same way, through dialogue with the potential for stats and perks/augs to manipulate your outcomes.

It makes me wonder what people want from an FPS//RPG where the RPG is in the dialogue. How many styles of pre-recorded lines, how many personality types, how many dialogue based skill checks would satisfy them? Anything less than full Alpha Protocol just gets met with a resounding "this game is on rails" and honestly, that's TRUE! I really don't care how far back you have to go, if your choices are between a saintly Paragon and a violent and greedy Sociopath and basically never anything besides those two choices, does it ever really even feel like a meaningful choice? The game is usually just assigning you an ending based on which style of gameplay you prefer, as though stealthy people are morally superior, somehow, than violent snipers, even though all these digitized enemies are, like, Terminator Terrorist Nazis, or whatever.

2077 does all of things that both of these games do, but i think maybe there's too much sausage poking out from the casing and so people are maybe less willing to forgive "RPG" meaning a mostly linear character arc with separate personality responses all funneling to an identical critical path, even though the games people are describing when they talk about meaningful choices basically boil down to Alpha Protocol and New Vegas, and almost exclusively just those two games, and every other game is just "Are you Rude Cloud or are you Funny Cloud as you accept the next bounty quest from the innkeeper". It's weird, also, that all these games with 100% static characters with almost no personalization are viewed as better RPGs than 2077, a game with a character creator that includes two fully voiced readthroughs of the entire script.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

It makes me wonder what people want from an FPS//RPG where the RPG is in the dialogue

They don't know what they want. Everything for everyone. It's how you end up with scam poo poo like Star Citizen.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

RPG and linear storylines almost never work for me. Game needs to have a real good gameplay hook (or fun achievements) for me to go through the same story beats over and over again.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

All I know is that if you advertise your product as being some deeply reactive system-based open-world RPG and spend one 40-minute trailer talking about how differently all the missions can turn out based on player decisions, you shouldn't let yourselves get beat in the choice & consequence department by Assassin's Creed Odyssey.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

:barf:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
lmao there is no way the average Fortniter is old enough to know who Ripley is

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

That doesn't even really look like Sigourney Weaver

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

They already had the predator, right?

Release an AvP mode like the old games, cowards.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

I wish I could articulate the feeling that this gives me. It feels weird for some reason but I cannot put a finger on what.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
2001 AVP multiplayer > any battle royale game and it’s not even close.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

boop the snoot posted:

2001 AVP multiplayer > any battle royale game and it’s not even close.

2001 AVP MP is the perfect gaming experience. Nothing has come close.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

veni veni veni posted:

I don’t know what you mean by no one cares. Its still a really popular game in the niche it should have been marketed to in the first place. No it’s not like, a huge mainstream title but it never should have been marketed like that to begin with.

I don’t even really care for NMS but credit where credit is due.

It was that type of game on release and had it been able to keep its promises I think it could have stayed that popular.

I even say that as someone who the ideal NMS doesn’t appeal to at all

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

VideoGames posted:

I wish I could articulate the feeling that this gives me. It feels weird for some reason but I cannot put a finger on what.

Video Games experiencing hatred for the first time

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Bust Rodd posted:

Video Games experiencing hatred for the first time

Hahah, no not hatred.
Like I know revered media has been used in product placement for as long as advertising has been around, but there is something weird about this one that makes me do the confused face.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Anything about fortnite just goes right through me like we're not even in the same universe or something. I have absolutely no opinion of it

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

VideoGames posted:

Hahah, no not hatred.
Like I know revered media has been used in product placement for as long as advertising has been around, but there is something weird about this one that makes me do the confused face.

got some bad news friendo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

fortnite is the funkopops of gaming. endless trash!