Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Minotaurus Rex posted:

I got the slim and it’s both dope and funky fresh. I missed out on the whole last gen so these modern games are pretty mindblowing - picked up Bloodborne, MonHun World, Nier: Automata & Slay the Spire. Any recs for other good starter PS4 games or must-plays? Having a blast with this :D

Dark Souls III is pretty much my favorite game ever. You got Bloodbourne, and Nier, but DS3 is peak Soulsbourne.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Guillermus posted:

There was a GR: Wildlands but it's archived and none made a Breakpoint thread either (or is dead and archived already), post your questions in here! The few that play it enjoy talking about it!

I think I beat the last boss first and now I have no idea what I'm supposed to do. Going to about half the bivuoacs starts an assassination mission from the last third of the game. I'm just sort of bumming around getting parts for guns and solving treasure hunts, which is fun enough, but I have no idea how things like Rainbow 6 or the loving Terminator or whatever Amber Gas is factor in here or where to go next to just keep going with the campaign. I did a raid and one of the assassination missions, both are fun enough but holy buckets the raids are like two hours long. I like the game overall, I'm maxing out all the skills and guns, but I'm still a long way from having everything.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Inspector Hound posted:

I think I beat the last boss first and now I have no idea what I'm supposed to do. Going to about half the bivuoacs starts an assassination mission from the last third of the game. I'm just sort of bumming around getting parts for guns and solving treasure hunts, which is fun enough, but I have no idea how things like Rainbow 6 or the loving Terminator or whatever Amber Gas is factor in here or where to go next to just keep going with the campaign. I did a raid and one of the assassination missions, both are fun enough but holy buckets the raids are like two hours long. I like the game overall, I'm maxing out all the skills and guns, but I'm still a long way from having everything.

The seasonal events only factor the world when active, and only one at a time can be active. Do them, they're cool and give nice rewards.

You can mix missions from the acts and you'll only be locked from a few end game ones for plot purposes until you do the pre-req ones.

I personally started last year playing without gear score but ended using it because that way you use more guns while leveling up or finding something that gives you better stats. I got the base game for super cheap (5€) and then did some loops to get the ultimate upgrade on PC for 11-12€, but still prefer to play it on PS4 as my chill murder game.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Yeah I switched to having a gear level too, even though I didn't think I'd want it. Still never turning on injuries, ever. Alright, I'll start on the assassination missions too, the one I did was neat and there's a ton of them I've just been ignoring thinking I was right about to find some scripted event that would kick me forward. I guess there was some glitched update that caused it to unlock all the missions at once for everyone? I found a tweet or something referencing it. I didn't even know that the guy from The Walking Dead was the last boss until I googled something else, I just kind of naturally figured out where he was and went and iced him, even with his little drones. :ubisoft:

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jan 4, 2022

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I played a bit on PS4 with a friend with full simulation settings over voice being total tryhards and is great fun too (don't do this solo or with bots). Took us an hour to take a Skell outpost between fighting, hiding to not get blasted, crawling because of a leg injury but was super rewarding as enemies drop as fast as us.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Minotaurus Rex posted:

I got the slim and it’s both dope and funky fresh. I missed out on the whole last gen so these modern games are pretty mindblowing - picked up Bloodborne, MonHun World, Nier: Automata & Slay the Spire. Any recs for other good starter PS4 games or must-plays? Having a blast with this :D

as mentioned, Horizon: Zero Dawn is one of the best PS4 games. Spider-Man, Ghost of Tsushima, and God of War are others that I'd considered must-plays.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Deptfordx posted:

Horizon Zero Dawn looks and plays amazing and was my game of that generation.

Seconding this, also recommending Insomniac Spider-Man. Can't say about Miles Morales because I haven't played it, but H:ZD and Spidey made me cry.

Also there's something amazingly :black101: about slaying giant machines with bow and arrow and spear.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Minotaurus Rex posted:

Red Dead Redemption 2 and Ghost of Tsushima for sure. God of War is a verrrry strong showing of the PS4 and just a fantastic game in general. Horizon as mentioned above, definitely a must play. You have so much fun gaming to look forward to if you missed the last gen. Enjoy!

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Psychonauts 2 correction: Raz's youngest sibling is dope. That song your fellow campersinterns play over the pirate radio really makes me want to play Tony Hawk.

I know Hades is the roguelike of choice around here, but how is Going Under?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Read After Burning posted:

Psychonauts 2 correction: Raz's youngest sibling is dope. That song your fellow campersinterns play over the pirate radio really makes me want to play Tony Hawk.

I know Hades is the roguelike of choice around here, but how is Going Under?

It's fun, not particularly deep in its mechanics but solid enough with some funny writing and characters, in a bizarro corporate world of startups and internships. I enjoyed playing through it, I'd say if you like that kind of genre and it's cheap, it's worth a shot.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Morpheus posted:

It's fun, not particularly deep in its mechanics but solid enough with some funny writing and characters, in a bizarro corporate world of startups and internships. I enjoyed playing through it, I'd say if you like that kind of genre and it's cheap, it's worth a shot.

I'm actually not super familiar with the genre. I'd been eyeballing Hades but I like the artstyle of Going Under a bit more, and the "bizarro corp world" element reminds me of a less-creepy Yuppie Psycho.

Thank you! I'll give Going Under a shot, and will play Hades afterwards if I enjoy it.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Minotaurus Rex posted:

Yakuza 0. Start there and if you like it there are a gazillion more hours of content.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Minotaurus Rex posted:

Death Stranding and Phantom Pain.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Last of us 1/2

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

The Talos Principle. It’s been around a while, but you should probably just buy it. Also Celeste.

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'
Thanks for the recs o ye kindly goons, just one more question for the moment, I don’t suppose any of you know what I need to grab to get started on FF14 when it opens back up?

I can see a “complete” edition which includes the first 3 expansions, but that’s about as complete an edition as I can see on the UK Amazon (tho I will get off eBay because :argh: Bezos). Is that the one to grab for an aspiring stupid noob such as I?? Can’t wait to finally give FF14 a whirl

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Minotaurus Rex posted:

Thanks for the recs o ye kindly goons, just one more question for the moment, I don’t suppose any of you know what I need to grab to get started on FF14 when it opens back up?

I can see a “complete” edition which includes the first 3 expansions, but that’s about as complete an edition as I can see on the UK Amazon (tho I will get off eBay because :argh: Bezos). Is that the one to grab for an aspiring stupid noob such as I?? Can’t wait to finally give FF14 a whirl

The $19.99 Starter Edition includes the first expansion, I'd just start there. You won't miss anything by not having the later expansions right away - you can't unlock the expansion jobs until you progress through the main story anyway. If you enjoy the game you can buy the Endwalker expansion for $40, which includes all of the other expansions too. So it costs the same either way, you're just not dropping the full $60 up front.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Isn't there a free trial? Or is that PC only?

Is your account tied to a platform?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

There's a free trial for PC or PlayStation, but you can't sign up right now because the servers are on fire. You can play on either PC or PS and your account will work across both, though (but you have to buy the game for both as well)

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

don't come a knockin'
How will I know when they’re gona let new folks on to the hallowed FF14 servers :ohdear: .. man I just can’t wait to finally fantasise!!

Minotaurus Rex fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jan 6, 2022

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

don't come a knockin'
Ah I have plenty to be getting on with but still! Those FF14 write ups over in the GOTY thread are mighty convincing

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

axolotl farmer posted:

Dark Souls III is pretty much my favorite game ever. You got Bloodbourne, and Nier, but DS3 is peak Soulsbourne.

:hellyeah:

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Dammit, of course there's already a Jurassic World Evolution 2. The sequel and the original are basically the same price, and they're both more expensive than Battlefield 2042. I don't really know which developer looks worse there.

As for the free games this month, Dirt seems straightforward enough, the trailer for Persona 5 is mostly just confusing (F...Felix the cat??), and just what exactly is Deep Rock Galactic?

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Inspector Hound posted:

what exactly is Deep Rock Galactic?

your a dwarf space miner, its very pretty but i think its meant to be played co op

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Inspector Hound posted:

Dammit, of course there's already a Jurassic World Evolution 2. The sequel and the original are basically the same price, and they're both more expensive than Battlefield 2042. I don't really know which developer looks worse there.

As for the free games this month, Dirt seems straightforward enough, the trailer for Persona 5 is mostly just confusing (F...Felix the cat??), and just what exactly is Deep Rock Galactic?

Persona 5 Strikers is actually a sequel to Persona 5 so yeah it's gonna be pretty drat confusing if you haven't played it. If you are remotely interested and have a PS5 P5 is one of the "we're giving it away free" games.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

JollyBoyJohn posted:

your a dwarf space miner, its very pretty but i think its meant to be played co op

It's a fun game where you do runs to mine space rocks and also giant space bugs attack you while you zipline or grapple hook around the place, unlocking new equipment and mods for your dwarf classes (you can play as one of four). The game works in single player, as it gives you a little robot buddy that mines and fights for/with you, but the game is absolutely made for multiplayer - four different dwarves running around blowing up bugs traversing these large procedurally-generated caves while yelling "ROCK AND STONE" at each other is when it really shines.

Oh also the entire world is made of rock/stone and destructible/minable.

It's got no plot, just progression on your dwarves, collecting cosmetics, ranking up and prestiging.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I might have played that, or something similar, on XBox. I was a dwarf, underground, and an anonymous player patiently helped me operate a machine of some kind until I fell down a hole and quit. I feel like they've definitely forgiven me though, wherever they are

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
I just beat Yakuza 4. Yakuza continues to be awesome.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

So, after a false start I decided to play Sekiro again but I'm missing something or need some kind of tips.

I get the controls, I get the parry system and posture but unlike the previous FROM games, I... don't like it? right now I don't like how the movement feels or the combat and I'm still at the starting zone (got the 2nd seed for the gourd).

I've been dicking for two hours and whenver I play more than 20-30 mins I just want to switch to another game and I'm tempted to play any other soulsborne instead, hell, I got Nioh 2 on christmas and it has the FROM feel of the gameplay with the japanese theme but I'm bouncing hard off Sekiro :(

Guillermus fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Jan 9, 2022

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don’t understand what exactly your issue is, so it’s hard to give tips.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

It's me for sure but feel the movement is too floaty compared to the previous games and I don't like the gameplay changes. I know that I should leave my soulsborne muscle memory but that is going to be hard.

Edit: I read on beforeiplay this 'Some controller users prefer moving the "Use Item" to the face buttons and "Switch Prosthetic Tool" to the d-pad to make item use in combat easier.' gonna try this too.

Guillermus fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Jan 9, 2022

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Wolfsheim posted:

So I ended up loving Spider-Man Miles Morales enough to 100% it on New Game +, a thing I literally never do. It helps that it's pretty short and zipping around the city never gets old, and it's a nice touch that depending on when you do various side missions there are minor dialogue changes so you can at least switch it up on the second time through.

I never touch Photo Modes either, but there was a trophy for this one and it made me curious enough to dabble, and soon enough I was snapshotting Spider-Man all over Manhattan. It never even occurred to me until looking online that people use it for action scenes, I literally only took shots of SM just hanging out. Here's a few that I think turned out well:

SM getting coffee:

I only took this shot because of that mouse just inexplicably chilling on the hood of that car behind them:

ASMAB:

Fun fact on this one, they gave SM a bunch of little dance animations for this small part of this side mission that's never called attention to and never used again:

Missed opportunity for a Spider-Longshoreman outfit imo:

There are three Spider-Mans in this picture:

Here is SM seconds away from scaring the poo poo out of the meals-on-wheels guy doing a high speed turn in heavy traffic during a blizzard:

Is SMMM the best winter holiday vibes game of all time?

Something I really loved with Spider-Man was how well Insomniac leaned into the "Friendly Neighbourhood" side of Spider-Man. He's not doing the aloof Avenger-in-a-Tower/Cave/Lair deal like some superheroes, he's taking the subway to get around New York (and generally not even close to being the weirdest thing on the train) and stopping to talk to folk everywhere he goes. If not take a selfie with them.

ReVerve
Jul 13, 2001

Select and make your first pick.

Biscuit Hider

Guillermus posted:

It's me for sure but feel the movement is too floaty compared to the previous games and I don't like the gameplay changes. I know that I should leave my soulsborne muscle memory but that is going to be hard.

Edit: I read on beforeiplay this 'Some controller users prefer moving the "Use Item" to the face buttons and "Switch Prosthetic Tool" to the d-pad to make item use in combat easier.' gonna try this too.

Just a reminder that (insert It's Not a Souls Game gif).

It really isn't. There's no stamina, stealth kills exist, you can jump and grapple hook. Your primary goal in combat isn't really just health damage, it's pressure, posture damage and learning enemy tells. It's part rhythm game. There are a lot of shinobi tools/skills for certain situations.

It's my favorite From game and I'm glad it's so different from a regular Souls game.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I hope it ends clicking because right now is at the back of the FROM bus and I've played the clunky rear end Armored Core 4.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Guillermus posted:

I hope it ends clicking because right now is at the back of the FROM bus and I've played the clunky rear end Armored Core 4.

it's important to hesitate less

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

My partner said the garden DLC in House Flipper is "basically half the game", so I went ahead and got it while it's also on sale. This hole game was made for me. :cheers:

I also got Procession to Calvary, which appears to be a short adventure game with a cool artstyle (based on Renaissance paintings).

I almost got Toem, but noticed that it's PS5-only. Boo!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Let me know how Procession to Calvary is, I've had it in my wish list for awhile and can't decide if it actually looks fun or not lol

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

it's important to hesitate less

Edit: Update

Hirata Estate: Found an axe and a gun for my augmented arm... I didn't ask for this :v: I killed two shield dudes with the good old baiting and faced a spear miniboss that I ran away from when I noticed that I had enough points to spend on mikiri counter. I fit the new stuff on my arm and now I can shield break (literally). I guess this is more of a combat puzzle game than I thought.

Coin purses are important, right? to keep from losing money.

Guillermus fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jan 9, 2022

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Read After Burning posted:

My partner said the garden DLC in House Flipper is "basically half the game", so I went ahead and got it while it's also on sale. This hole game was made for me. :cheers:

What’s the garden dlc like? I love gardening and plants etc irl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Oscar Wild posted:

Yakuza 0. Start there and if you like it there are a gazillion more hours of content.

And then once you're done with those gazillion hours you can move on to the other games in the series.