Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

bull3964 posted:

If your console is using 2.4ghz rather than 5ghz, it absolutely can interfere with bluetooth at high utilization. Bluetooth uses 2.4ghz as well.

Oh good point I never thought about which WiFi my ps4 was using!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
What's the root cause of controller drift? My right stick and left stick seem to drift from time to time; does that dead zone get set when the controller initially connects? Turning it off and on doesn't seem to fix it, it's mostly right stick drift noticed mostly in Minecraft and Saints Row IV.

For whatever reason, the hard-reset button on the back isn't working, nor is the PS+share or PS+options or whatever it is. I just don't want to have to reposition the camera every 3 seconds while driving so that I can see where the gently caress I'm going, y'know?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

D34THROW posted:

What's the root cause of controller drift? My right stick and left stick seem to drift from time to time; does that dead zone get set when the controller initially connects? Turning it off and on doesn't seem to fix it, it's mostly right stick drift noticed mostly in Minecraft and Saints Row IV.

For whatever reason, the hard-reset button on the back isn't working, nor is the PS+share or PS+options or whatever it is. I just don't want to have to reposition the camera every 3 seconds while driving so that I can see where the gently caress I'm going, y'know?

If it's the common stick drift (as in leaving the stick untouched and still getting imputs, bad deadzones) the only fix is to replace the stick entirely, they're super cheap to purchase and relatively easy to replace.

If the problem is just weird imputs from time to time, cleaning the contacts inside the stick (above and this one require opening the gamepad) with alcohol works a charm.

I fixed the 2nd (weird imputs) by replacing a small white coil inside the stick, not the whole thing and has been working perfectly for more than a year:

My DS4's left stick freaked out when doing certain movements like doing semi-circles or going from left to right slowly, making the cursor or whatever go up fast for a moment, after replacing that small coil everything was perfect.

Guillermus fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Feb 25, 2022

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

oh man, I tried switching to my 5 ghz wifi to avoid bluetooth interference issues, but the original ps4 doesn't support it :smith:

another reason to get a ps5 i guess

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Guillermus posted:

If it's the common stick drift (as in leaving the stick untouched and still getting imputs, bad deadzones) the only fix is to replace the stick entirely, they're super cheap to purchase and relatively easy to replace.

If the problem is just weird imputs from time to time, cleaning the contacts inside the stick (above and this one require opening the gamepad) with alcohol works a charm.

I fixed the 2nd (weird imputs) by replacing a small white coil inside the stick, not the whole thing and has been working perfectly for more than a year:

My DS4's left stick freaked out when doing certain movements like doing semi-circles or going from left to right slowly, making the cursor or whatever go up fast for a moment, after replacing that small coil everything was perfect.

Yep, if I'm sitting still in SRIV or Minecraft, the camera drifts slowly around, all horizontal motion.

Probably gonna break down the existing one anyway (since the R2 spring/switch is shot and GTA5 doesn't work properly without remapping) so I'll take a look at that while I'm in there after a replacement arrives. Thanks!

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

actionjackson posted:

oh man, I tried switching to my 5 ghz wifi to avoid bluetooth interference issues, but the original ps4 doesn't support it :smith:

Or a sufficiently long ethernet cable. I have a feeling this is an unacceptable alternative though. Worth it for science maybe.

nitsuga fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Feb 25, 2022

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

nitsuga posted:

Or a sufficiently long ethernet cable. I have a feeling this is an unacceptable alternative though. Worth it for science maybe.

when I had a tv I could easily hardwire it, but now no haha

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

actionjackson posted:

Unfortunately yeah, 5 GHz support was absent on wedge PS4s, and only introduced with the Slim and Pro.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

AC: Unity is $9 on PSN right now. I had an easier time finding four randos to help me beat a mission than I usually do in Division 2 or Breakpoint

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
I'm having a hard time finding a straight answer online: what happens if you move to a different region as far as access to your PS+ account? I'm trying to weigh up what I should do in the future when I move from Australia to the US for a couple of years.

I understand that you can't switch the region of your account (this apparently has to do with licensing, etc).

Could I buy a PS4 or PS5 in the US and log in with my Australian account, and continue to buy stuff from the Australian store? Or would it block me due to coming from a US-region PS4?

Would bringing my Australian PS4 over help get around this, or would I still be blocked on the basis of my US IP?

Not really keen to start over with a US account; not that I've got many achievements/trophies or whatever, but I would rather not lose access to the year's worth of PS+ games on that account, and the handful of titles I've bought digitally. Fortunately I own physical copies of pretty much all of the games I play regularly, which I understand should play OK (less DLC, maybe?) in a PS4 from a different region.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Could I buy a PS4 or PS5 in the US and log in with my Australian account, and continue to buy stuff from the Australian store? Or would it block me due to coming from a US-region PS4?

At some point you're going to be locked out on the basis of your debit card, rather than any specific region!

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
The consoles aren't region locked but everything that's touching money is.

For example you won't be able to buy US DLC for your australian physical copies

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

goblin week posted:

At some point you're going to be locked out on the basis of your debit card, rather than any specific region!

Fortunately it's only for around two years; I'm planning on maintaining my Australian bank account and keeping the bulk of my cash here (unless this somehow keeps me an Australian tax resident or something), so I should still have access to an Australian source of funding while I'm in the States. Out of curiousity, would it not let me add a US credit card to an Australian account?

goblin week posted:

The consoles aren't region locked but everything that's touching money is.

For example you won't be able to buy US DLC for your australian physical copies

I'd still be able to buy it through the Australian store on my Australian PSN account though, even if I'm in the USA/on a US model PS4?

I guess it would rule out buying US physical copies if I wanted any DLC, although tbh there are only a handful of games I'm interested in playing I don't already have.*

*I'm both kinda picky and have a decent backlog with not a lot of time to get through it right now.

Ethics_Gradient fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Mar 2, 2022

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Out of curiousity, would it not let me add a US credit card to an Australian account?

I’ll be honest, details of how it checks for bank nationality elude me; I definitely could not add an euro credit card to a US account despite never having problems using it online elsewhere. Likewise with paypal.
It might work the other way around, because american exceptionalism, but I would not count on reliability of it!

quote:

I'd still be able to buy it through the Australian store on my Australian PSN account though, even if I'm in the USA/on a US model PS4?

Yes, no worries there. Your account is immutably locked into the original country (Australia) you set it up as, and will only be able to buy from Australian PS Store.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah a store wont let you buy anything using a card not from that region, including using PayPal as a middleman. If you did want to use a US card the easiest way would just be to make a new US account and use that, its trivially easy and once downloaded games can used by any account on the system. It would also let you download DLC for any US physical games you might get.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Yeah many people have multiple accounts for different regions. My sister in-law has a Japanese account for her VNs for her Vita, I have a US and Taiwan account - sometimes you get sales in one region but not the other, etc. As long as they just have one primary console, and I just buy PSN cards, I haven't had a problem for 6 years.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Ethics_Gradient posted:

I'm having a hard time finding a straight answer online: what happens if you move to a different region as far as access to your PS+ account? I'm trying to weigh up what I should do in the future when I move from Australia to the US for a couple of years.

I understand that you can't switch the region of your account (this apparently has to do with licensing, etc).

Would bringing my Australian PS4 over help get around this, or would I still be blocked on the basis of my US IP?

Not really keen to start over with a US account; not that I've got many achievements/trophies or whatever, but I would rather not lose access to the year's worth of PS+ games on that account, and the handful of titles I've bought digitally. Fortunately I own physical copies of pretty much all of the games I play regularly, which I understand should play OK (less DLC, maybe?) in a PS4 from a different region.

Given the temporary nature of your move it might make sense to just maintain your US account and not bother with an Australian account. You can freely use your US account on an Australian PS4 or PS5, the only gotcha is that only US wallet codes and payment options will work for it; PSN outright refuses to allow the usage of payment options that don't have a strict in-country billing address, so you can't pay for things on a US account except with credit/bank cards from the US. You can also create a separate Australian PSN account that's only for Australian digital purchases and that you never actually "play" on, you just have it activated as the primary and then exclusively play on your US account.

In a broad sense, games typically have three or four different regions (sometimes more) for software SKUs. Your North American games are "Americas" versions of games, and in Australia they generally have the same version of the game that's sold in Europe, although due to Australia's aggressive age classifications some games have special censored Australia-only versions (e.g. Saints Row IV is like this).

The differences in versions tend to be largely benign, they in some cases only boil down to being a different SKU and a different "level" for age rating purposes (e.g. a lot of T for Teen games are 15+ in Australia I think), and because they're European versions they'll offer more/different languages (e.g. German and Italian will also be available), and games will be larger as a result.

If you buy Australian discs then you will need an Australian PSN account to redeem any DLC for them including things like microtransactions and pre-order codes; buying the equivalent DLCs on your US account will not work. Likewise, any US games you install (disc or digital) will have to work solely with your US account for DLC purposes. That said, if you only play with what's on the disc and never get DLC then you can just do whatever. Bear in mind that different PSN accounts will have different saves, and different editions of games will also handle saves differently usually (i.e. saves for a European/Australian version of a game will not be recognized by a US version and vice-versa), and this will also apply for games that eventually get PS5 upgrades and do save transfers (e.g. importing an Uncharted 4 save into its PS5 version only works if the PS4 save matches the region of the PS5 version). This could also make things confusing and messy when you eventually get a PS5 because your US account's "library" might list Australian versions in its history if you've played them and cause errors if you try to access them in the store from there.

There are occasional games that do unique things, like I think some of the older Dark Souls games have each region's SKU only connecting to that version's servers (so US copies could only play with people in the Americas, and Europeans couldn't force-play on those servers without actually buying a US copy), but I think that's very rare these days.

univbee fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Mar 2, 2022

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Basically there's no hardware difference between regions, it all comes down to your account/location and the software you use. So as long as you're buying AU games off your AU account (or importing AU/PAL discs) you're good on that front. US discs would require a US account to purchase DLC.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

kirbysuperstar posted:

Basically there's no hardware difference between regions, it all comes down to your account/location and the software you use. So as long as you're buying AU games off your AU account (or importing AU/PAL discs) you're good on that front. US discs would require a US account to purchase DLC.

This isn't entirely correct, although close enough for these purposes. Here are hardware differences to be aware of:

- The region coding on the console for DVDs and Blu-rays will be set according to the region. So while a US PS4 will have DVD Region 1 and Blu-ray region A, an Australian one will use DVD Region 4 and Blu-ray Region B.

- US PS4s do not support PAL output resolutions so aren't able to play PAL DVDs or Blu-rays even if they're region-free (in the case of Blu-rays this generally only applies to non-American TV content that was PAL originally). I suspect the same is true for PS5 but I'm not 100% sure. I think you might be able to set PAL consoles to output at 576p but you can't with US PS4s.

- PS4s in Asian territories have O and X flipped for confirm/cancel purposes, but they've standardized X as confirm and O as cancel worldwide on PS5 so that isn't different there.

Also the power cord will be different depending on the region, but this is only a difference in the cord, I think all modern consoles are 100-240V and 50/60Hz capable in all territories.

univbee fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Mar 2, 2022

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Thanks for all that, folks!

I'll probably bring my games sans cases and Nacon controller but not the console in that case*. Had forgotten about gift cards, that's another good option.

*Hopefully I can find somewhere to store some of my stuff, have built up a nice little assortment of controllers/accessories and would be nice to be able to come back to everything.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

e: wrong thread

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Time to evangelize the thread to Paradise Killer; it's getting a PS4/PS5 release next week. I 100%'d it on the Switch, and I'm gonna do the same on the PS4. :colbert: Soundtrack is very close to my heart.

My favorite game of 2020, with Bugsnax as a close second.

Original trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYUt9_Macns

PS4/PS5 version trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWMwYPecV7M

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Far Cry 6 was free for me last night, I guess it was because of that outage? Did anyone else see any unexplained free games out there?

Apathetic Artist
Dec 23, 2010
Was is the free trial?

I can definitely still see that for free, but the standard edition still costs money.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I don't think so, but I guess it might be? I haven't noticed the word "trial" once, but I've occasionally not noticed things in the past

e huh, weird, I did find the "actual" game for $50-70, depending on how much your mom says you're allowed to spend. I really don't remember seeing the trial thing (which I also now see, in the store but nowhere on the icon on my home screen). I wonder how many people are going to think they got it for free and then lose their poo poo when it disappears/becomes unplayable. It even just took me through the standard Ubisoft Connect thing I go through every time I play one of their games (semi worth it for cosmetics. Be Altair in games where it doesn't make any sense!). This is going to make some people angry lol

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Mar 25, 2022

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I think it’s a free weekend on all platforms

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Is there a new PS4 thread or has everyone else just moved to the PS5 thread now?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
PS5 thread. Join us! You don’t need to have a PS5 to post there. It’s the cool new place for friends! And there’s still plenty of PS4 discussion on the discord

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Escobarbarian posted:

PS5 thread. Join us! You don’t need to have a PS5 to post there. It’s the cool new place for friends! And there’s still plenty of PS4 discussion on the discord

If I go in there I'm going to exclusively talk about PS4 and people will get mad at me

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Inspector Hound posted:

If I go in there I'm going to exclusively talk about PS4 and people will get mad at me

Not at all, many of the games are cross-gen, and I update the OP with any significant releases regardless of whether they are PS4 or PS5

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

PS threads should be merged

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Yeah, I'll keep posting here until it's closed/merged.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
PS5s might as well not exist in AU lmao

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Says the guy who made a PS3 thread

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Quantum of Phallus posted:

call it PS9

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

Says the guy who made a PS3 thread

i didn't know there was a retro forum when i made that :shobon: mods plz move it there ty

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

That's how the thread ends... with applause! Or something. Star Wars!

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

GoutPatrol posted:

call it PS9

and put this in the first post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyPQVsdCuRk

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

thread ded