Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Ace combat 7 would be better if the host of every game I've joined tonight didn't just sit in their loving hangar until all the other players leave

e immediately after I posted this I got stomped into the ground by someone with a cheater airplane

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Jun 28, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Inspector Hound posted:

Ace combat 7 would be better if the host of every game I've joined tonight didn't just sit in their loving hangar until all the other players leave

e immediately after I posted this I got stomped into the ground by someone with a cheater airplane

It's the only multi player I play after souls games and it's incredibly amusing thinking this is how all videogame multi-player is.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Oscar Wild posted:

It's the only multi player I play after souls games and it's incredibly amusing thinking this is how all videogame multi-player is.

When it works it's great, it was just a particularly bad evening. I like getting out the Mig-31bis and smoking people in dlc planes with the cheapest jet on the menu. It's my very own cheater plane; with afterburners on it can do turns sharp enough to avoid most missiles. I died many times to bring you this information.

One thing that has made me sad is that if the lobby screen is telling me the truth, there's rarely ever more than 20 people playing multiplayer, and that usually means a game is near the end its lifecycle

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Jun 29, 2022

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
it's time for ac7 to go dance with the angels

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

They should give it away for free one month, it's really good and pretty much everyone that's going to buy it already has

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

My controller keeps freaking out and saying that the headset is disconnected. All I have plugged into it is a USB to the PS4 slim to charge it, has anyone else had this problem before?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

My controller keeps freaking out and saying that the headset is disconnected. All I have plugged into it is a USB to the PS4 slim to charge it, has anyone else had this problem before?

Did you try a different cable?

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Did u try turning it off and then back on again

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

RareAcumen posted:

have you checked the headphone port for any fouling

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

my ps4 has been having the same issue more often, like today, I played a game earlier today and it was fine, then I went to start it up again just now and it couldn't start. then i restarted and it said I needed to attach a USB with the installation file again. Which I did, but now I have to reinstall the game again. this has happened like 3-4 times in the last couple months, so very frequently, any idea why?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

My hunch is either your external drive is on the verge of dying, or there's some issue with it not getting enough electrical power (or B because of A).

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

univbee posted:

My hunch is either your external drive is on the verge of dying, or there's some issue with it not getting enough electrical power (or B because of A).

can you recommend a replacement drive? it's the original ps4 size, not the slim or pro

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Aug 22, 2022

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

actionjackson posted:

can you recommend a replacement drive? it's the original ps4 size, not the slim or pro

There are some official Sony ones, I think put out by Western Digital, but any new external drive should be good, they should all be USB 3.0 now.

If you want the type of drive that's physically smaller and doesn't have an external PSU, I wouldn't get anything bigger than 4tb. If you get a larger style of drive with external power, you can get up to 8tb.

You can pay more for the external to be an SSD for some faster loading but this isn't a requirement.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Death stranding fuckin rocks

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

univbee posted:

There are some official Sony ones, I think put out by Western Digital, but any new external drive should be good, they should all be USB 3.0 now.

If you want the type of drive that's physically smaller and doesn't have an external PSU, I wouldn't get anything bigger than 4tb. If you get a larger style of drive with external power, you can get up to 8tb.

You can pay more for the external to be an SSD for some faster loading but this isn't a requirement.

did you mean internal drive?

would either of these work? I'm not sure why the second one is so much more than the first

https://www.newegg.com/blue-wd10ezex-1tb/p/N82E16822236339

https://www.newegg.com/p/1B0-0020-00483?Description=playstation%20hard%20drive&cm_re=playstation_hard%20drive-_-1B0-0020-00483-_-Product

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Ah, when you mentioned external drive I thought that's where your games were but I reread and realize it was asking for a firmware install file which you don't normally use.

The first one definitely won't work, it's a 3.5" drive which is larger and intended for desktops or powered enclosures. The second one is a 2.5" drive which is what you need for your main drive. It can be either a traditional mechanical drive or an SSD. I think there's a 9.5mm height restriction which cuts off most drives larger than 2tb, so that's loosely seen as the largest drive you can stick into a PS4 of any model (they all use pretty much identical compartments for their hard drives).

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

univbee posted:

Ah, when you mentioned external drive I thought that's where your games were but I reread and realize it was asking for a firmware install file which you don't normally use.

The first one definitely won't work, it's a 3.5" drive which is larger and intended for desktops or powered enclosures. The second one is a 2.5" drive which is what you need for your main drive. It can be either a traditional mechanical drive or an SSD. I think there's a 9.5mm height restriction which cuts off most drives larger than 2tb, so that's loosely seen as the largest drive you can stick into a PS4 of any model (they all use pretty much identical compartments for their hard drives).

ah right good point, thanks. I would be replacing the internal drive like this https://www.playstation.com/en-us/support/hardware/ps4-upgrade-hdd/#1000

I haven't owned a pc in 15 years so I really know nothing about these kind of components. Does the RPM or SATA matter at all? I also was wondering about this one. thanks.

https://www.newegg.com/seagate-barracuda-pro-1tb-st1000lm049/p/1Z4-002P-009M2?quicklink=true

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Aug 22, 2022

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

The drive you linked should be good, and the instructions you found are correct. Higher RPMs means faster load times but more heat which may be an issue long term, stock PS4 drives are 5400rpm and all games are designed around that. I wouldn't pay much more than the cost of a 5400rpm drive unless it was for an SSD, but I think that one you linked is the same price more or less.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

univbee posted:

It’s a 7mm height limit, which means 2TB spinners or a $400 SSD if you want 4TB

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Now that Sony seems to have decided on sticking with x86 for the foreseeable future, is it likely that even if they shut down the ps4 game store, the games will still be playable/available on future consoles?

I’ve been buying used physical copies of my favorite games just in case and wondering if I should keep doing so or not bother

acksplode
May 17, 2004

There are reasons besides CPU architecture that could cause Sony to drop PS4 BC, like losing the controller touchpad or not wanting to bother with GPU compatibility. I wouldn't bet on continued PS4 BC only because we're talking about the distant future, but if I did, it would be because MS is running with BC as a competitive differentiator.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

acksplode posted:

There are reasons besides CPU architecture that could cause Sony to drop PS4 BC, like losing the controller touchpad or not wanting to bother with GPU compatibility. I wouldn't bet on continued PS4 BC only because we're talking about the distant future, but if I did, it would be because MS is running with BC as a competitive differentiator.

There's also the whole fact that digital purchases and having purchases tied to an account was sort of still a new concept for the ps3/360 Era. Now we know those are here to stay and they should be designing new console platforms with the idea of supporting their entire current marketplace and purchases (remember it wasn't too long that Sony wanted to shut down ps3/vita purchases and they actually succeeded in turning off the psp store).

Given the whole complex architecture the ps3 had I don't blame Sony for not supporting it with ps4 (and ps5) but I feel like there's too much 'history' with accounts and transactions and marketplaces that unless a game has the rights expire (see all the car or sports games) they will probably want to keep selling it and supporting it.

And like you said Microsoft pledged to it so as soon as Sony drops one generation, it's a big opening for Microsoft and I don't see them willingly letting MS have that.

I'm sure the (half hearted) support of the ps1 and psp classics with the new ps+ premium is to compete with that Microsoft can go back to the original Xbox games (though they only could get like... Under 50 and they said they won't be able to do any more)

I would say I feel 90% confident that ps4 and ps5 libraries go with us going forward.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

I somehow missed the trailer for Wanted: Dead earlier in the summer, but this thing just shot straight up my anticipation list. February next year is getting pretty packed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9w4r9aOqlhA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qITxSJGL3B4

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

just to check one more time, this would work right? it says laptop drive, but It looks to have the right specs. thanks.

https://www.newegg.com/blue-1tb-wd10spzx/p/N82E16822231550

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

actionjackson posted:

just to check one more time, this would work right? it says laptop drive, but It looks to have the right specs. thanks.

https://www.newegg.com/blue-1tb-wd10spzx/p/N82E16822231550

Yep that should be fine.

Before I go too much further, I just want to emphasize that my hunch about what's up with your PS4 isn't necessarily a failing HD (it's likely but not a 100% certainty). So I hope you're taking advantage of a space upgrade as well and not just gambling $60+ on my say-so.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

univbee posted:

Yep that should be fine.

Before I go too much further, I just want to emphasize that my hunch about what's up with your PS4 isn't necessarily a failing HD (it's likely but not a 100% certainty). So I hope you're taking advantage of a space upgrade as well and not just gambling $60+ on my say-so.

It looks like my current PS4 has 500 GB, which is already enough for me really, so 1 TB should be fine.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Installing an SSD in your PS4 is easy and a very good idea. I backed up all my data to an external HD and switched the drive and loaded the backup. Check my posts ITT.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I kinda want to play TLOU1 remake but I don't want to encourage more remakes of like 10 year old games by giving them my money for it......... sigh

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Just get it when it’s on sale for $20

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

mcmagic posted:

I kinda want to play TLOU1 remake but I don't want to encourage more remakes of like 10 year old games by giving them my money for it......... sigh

It’s a PS5 exclusive anyway, which given the thread we’re in might make this an easier decision for you. :v:

Weedle
May 31, 2006

my ps4 has started doing this thing where it seems to lose all wireless connectivity at once. last night and this morning i was using it when it lost connection to the internet and to my controller at the same moment. restarting the ps4 with the power button worked both times but it's certainly concerning. i've had this ps4 for a little under two years but it is the original kind so it is probably pretty old. is it nigh on time to lay my sweet prince to his eternal rest?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Weedle posted:

my ps4 has started doing this thing where it seems to lose all wireless connectivity at once. last night and this morning i was using it when it lost connection to the internet and to my controller at the same moment. restarting the ps4 with the power button worked both times but it's certainly concerning. i've had this ps4 for a little under two years but it is the original kind so it is probably pretty old. is it nigh on time to lay my sweet prince to his eternal rest?

Sounds like it's just getting too hot in certain instances. Dunno about your setup, but unlike the PS3 and PS5 which seem to ventilate better in a vertical position I found the best way to ventilate the OG PS4 was flat with nothing on the sides or back, as air is drawn in from both sides equally and vented out the back. If you have your PSpoor vertical you should use the official vertical stand which better allows air to be pulled through the downward side intake.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Sounds like it's just getting too hot in certain instances. Dunno about your setup, but unlike the PS3 and PS5 which seem to ventilate better in a vertical position I found the best way to ventilate the OG PS4 was flat with nothing on the sides or back, as air is drawn in from both sides equally and vented out the back. If you have your PSpoor vertical you should use the official vertical stand which better allows air to be pulled through the downward side intake.

that's weird. it's in the same place it's been the whole time. maybe i need to clean the fans, or maybe destiny 2 is just too much for it

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Weedle posted:

that's weird. it's in the same place it's been the whole time. maybe i need to clean the fans, or maybe destiny 2 is just too much for it

Yeah, I'd clean it out every once in a while. Also, modern consoles have a harder time in the summer if the ambient temp in your place is up at all

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I randomly downloaded Arkham Knight, and in the first five minutes of being Batman it establishes itself as one of the most unreasonably cool games ever

L1 - Even the odds

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
There is a major Silent Hill leak going around that contains spoilers for a new main installment FYI (this is separate from the Silent Hill 2 remake stuff) Code Name Sakura

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Noob Saibot posted:

There is a major Silent Hill leak going around that contains spoilers for a new main installment FYI (this is separate from the Silent Hill 2 remake stuff) Code Name Sakura

is it a real leak or a fake leak and are the spoilers good or bad

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Augus posted:

It’s a real leak of a project currently in development.

If you saw the leak a few months ago with the girl and the hallway covered in post-it notes it’s relating to that. Supposedly Konami is going to release a demo soon like they did for PT and Capcom’s RE7 and the leak spoils the story in the demo and the hook for the actual game which some reliable insiders is saying is actually good and wish the info didn’t leak

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Augus posted:

it looked insanely fake if it's the stuff in the ps5 thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

it looked insanely fake if it's the stuff in the ps5 thread

the stuff from months ago is real but newest poo poo in the past few days is kinda real.