Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Jesus it's £90 here and made in Unity lol

E: guess it defaults to the 'Deluxe Edition' to redeem on PS+ but does not give you the the deluxe edition bonuses

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Aug 5, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Sakurazuka posted:

Jesus it's £90 here and made in Unity lol

E: guess it defaults to the 'Deluxe Edition' to redeem on PS+ but does not give you the the deluxe edition bonuses

It looks insanely bad, my golfers eyes are clearly not pointing in the same direction. Between this and BF2042, I think it's obvious they're just dumping free AAA failures to boost player counts. Games being roughly the same price in the US and EU/UK has always been a terrible scam, I can only console you by reminding you that our healthcare system is as broken as the swing system in this golf game

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
There's nothing wrong with it being made in Unity in and of itself but it's still surprising

2k are also the biggest scamlords

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Not sure what happened to the MSRP for Golf, since they also had a bundle of both it and NBA 2K23 for like $30 on sale a few times now, with that bundle explicitly giving you the PS4 and PS5 versions of both games.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I'm not a big sports game person anyway, but other than not looking spectacular it lets you play multiplayer, do career mode, and there's a few different tours, and that seems like pretty much what you'd expect from a sports game. Maybe it's because in golf you can't directly compete with the other players, ie steal the ball or whatever, or maybe people crave the mind shattering complexity of that one soccer games menus

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Aug 7, 2023

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

How often is there a sale on yearly psn subs? Is it just black friday?

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

During E3 the Summer Games presentations too

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Was Driveclub any good

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Not really.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
$3 saved from the used game store, then

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Inside is on sale for $5 and is a rocking good 3 hour game, like a horror version of Journey or a modern Another World.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Yeah, there's a good sale on PS Store right now, some excellent classics for $5-30. The best deals are probably Rainbow Six Siege for $10 and the PS2 GTAs for $30, but that's just my opinion. RDR2 and GTAV are both $20. Shadow of Mordor is $1.99. It's the first of the two games, so it's smaller than Shadow of War, but it's definitely worth more than $1.99 and the time you'll spend downloading it. Scroll through, I never got to the bottom and there's a bunch of good ones.

If I buy Skyrim VR, does it upgrade the version I have, or am I starting the game over fresh?

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Aug 31, 2023

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Skyrim vr is separate so yes it's fresh.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Yeah it's an entirely separate VR-only app which has a variety of subtle tweaks for the sake of being in VR (e.g. certain cutscenes there's a fadeout-fadein to teleport you where you need to go instead of you moving), so it's completely independent from the other non-VR Skyrim game app. You can actually leverage this because certain classes don't lend themselves well to PSVR 1's primitive Move controllers (e.g. I think most melee classes) but stuff like bows and casting spells can be great.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, bows now require you to make a draw gesture (this is very hard to get used to but can also be really satisfying) and spells allow you to aim each hand independently so you can Emperor Palpatine lightning everywhere. Plus a couple of fun minor things like being able to reach onto the front of your shield to retrieve arrows stuck in it

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Steve Yun posted:

$3 saved from the used game store, then

Driveclub is still worth playing. The handling feels as good as Gran Turismo, but the cars have unnaturally high grip so you can push them a lot harder. Super cars are extremely fun to drive since you don't need to be perfect to avoid flying off the track.

All the environments and weather effects still look stunning and it's a crime we never got a 4K HDR 60fps update or an open world sequel.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

That loving Sned posted:

Driveclub is still worth playing. The handling feels as good as Gran Turismo, but the cars have unnaturally high grip so you can push them a lot harder. Super cars are extremely fun to drive since you don't need to be perfect to avoid flying off the track.

All the environments and weather effects still look stunning and it's a crime we never got a 4K HDR 60fps update or an open world sequel.

Ok maybe I’ll try it out then

I was mainly intrigued by how good the weather looked in this:

https://twitter.com/truegamer1111/status/1695749103890678009?s=46

But the replies bring up that it had arcadey physics, 30fps, etc

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

I remember the game being a technical marvel that was absolutely demolished by Sony hype as a promised ps+ title and then subsequent rampant server issues at launch. The game failed hard and the studio was sunk because of it, but a lot of premium racing game veterans were working on it and released very cool DLC afterwards. Now all of them work for EA.

Huge mismanagement by Sony. I think after DriveClub bombed they started to go harder on dev outreach for big titles because seriously I remember bad DriveClub news dominated internet gaming headlines for like 6 solid months until Bloodborne came out and everybody forgot about it. It was like the Redfall situation but worse imo

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
In case anyone hasn't heard already, the price of PS Plus is going up in a few days. if you re-subscribe now you can still get it at the current price

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

Paperhouse posted:

In case anyone hasn't heard already, the price of PS Plus is going up in a few days. if you re-subscribe now you can still get it at the current price

only the yearly lol

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

greedy sony

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
Got around to trying Trek to Yomi (one of the PS+ free games from a few months back). Jury is still kinda out on the game as a whole, but A+ on the Kurasawa film aesthetic; even down to the subtle flicker of a projector lamp. The fixed camera works really well too, and frames some very cinematic looking fights.

I've gotten back into studying Japanese in the last year so nice to have a bit of listening practice as well.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

If I had a dollar for every time a JRPG being released in the first part of 2024 would let me ride a segway around a beautiful beach resort town I would have two dollars, which isn't a lot but it's strange it happened twice.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I haven't scrolled through all the deals yet, but there's already some interesting ones. Under $5 I saw Titanfall 2, star wars battlefront 1 & 2, the Jedi one everyone liked, and a couple metal slug games. Once I was up near $10 it got more a little better, there's some older (older.) AAA titles including Bloodborne, horizon zero dawn, fallout 4, and a couple others that might appeal to individual weirdos. The games get better from there, not a terrible sale unless you're looking for something that's come out in the last year or two.

e gta v and Skyrim are both $15, that's like 900+ hours of gameplay right there if you haven't tried those.

:siren: Sifu is $15 :frogsiren:

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Nov 24, 2023

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

All the Batman: Arkham: Press Square games are bundled for $5.99. I say do it if you haven't played them and your PS4 still works

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Keep in mind that all the Arkham games are locked to 30fps even on PS5. If that's the only option, it's worth it, but if you could play it on PC then I would recommend that.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

When do we get chemical computers with one continuous frame per time you turn on the photo screen

e the real question: should games with a film grain option be locked to 24 fps when film grain is turned on?

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jan 19, 2024

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Sorry to revive a dead thread, but does anyone have any recommendations for some sort of grip extensions for a PS4 controller? I have big man hands and after Steam Deck gaming for so long I’d like an option to use my controller but without terrible cramping.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
I don't know about grip extenders, but as a fellow big hand haver I've been using those KontrolFreek stick extenders plus a back button attachment. Those things combined make the DS4 bulky enough to be more comfortable.

My other rec would be a HORI FPS+ controller. It's bigger and laid out like an XBox pad. The downside is it's wired and has no rumble or motion sensor, and no back buttons either. They were only released in Japan, but I haven't had trouble getting one on Amazon. They used to run $40 but I think they're more expensive now.

This bad boy right here This is the red one. There's blue and black as well for a few bucks difference either way.

Paying2Lurk fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Jan 29, 2024

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Volte posted:

Keep in mind that all the Arkham games are locked to 30fps even on PS5. If that's the only option, it's worth it, but if you could play it on PC then I would recommend that.

i think the first 2 are 45fps lol

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Quantum of Phallus posted:

i think the first 2 are 45fps lol
Wow, that's bizarre. Designed for VRR before VRR even existed??

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Paying2Lurk posted:

I don't know about grip extenders, but as a fellow big hand haver I've been using those KontrolFreek stick extenders plus a back button attachment. Those things combined make the DS4 bulky enough to be more comfortable.

My other rec would be a HORI FPS+ controller. It's bigger and laid out like an XBox pad. The downside is it's wired and has no rumble or motion sensor, and no back buttons either. They were only released in Japan, but I haven't had trouble getting one on Amazon. They used to run $40 but I think they're more expensive now.

This bad boy right here This is the red one. There's blue and black as well for a few bucks difference either way.

Man, that HORI controller looks great but I need something wireless (afaik) for my Deck. Still might pick one up though, that’d be great for replaying actual PS3/4 games. What are the back extensions you’re using? I already found those stick things, thanks for the recommendation.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

Last Celebration posted:

Man, that HORI controller looks great but I need something wireless (afaik) for my Deck. Still might pick one up though, that’d be great for replaying actual PS3/4 games. What are the back extensions you’re using? I already found those stick things, thanks for the recommendation.

It's the official Sony back button attachment. Just search for that and it will pop up. They were clearing them out for like $15 before the PS5 came out, but I think they're back up to $30 now. You plug it into the headphone jack of the DS4 and it adds back buttons / paddles to the controller. They're awesome, and it's hard to go back to a controller without them after you use them. I set them to L3 and R3 as default and it's so much better than clicking in the sticks.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Paying2Lurk posted:

It's the official Sony back button attachment. Just search for that and it will pop up. They were clearing them out for like $15 before the PS5 came out, but I think they're back up to $30 now. You plug it into the headphone jack of the DS4 and it adds back buttons / paddles to the controller. They're awesome, and it's hard to go back to a controller without them after you use them. I set them to L3 and R3 as default and it's so much better than clicking in the sticks.

Thanks!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Volte posted:

Wow, that's bizarre. Designed for VRR before VRR even existed??

Arkham Asylum Remastered is 1080p/45fps

Arkham City Remastered is 1080p/30fps

:eyepop:

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

They're still much prettier than some of the games that came out after them, and the combat is very satisfying. Batman is mean to criminals

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I got two sets of back buttons (for my 2 Dualshock4 I have working rn) and they're amazing and worth the money. Easy to set up and they don't break if taking them apart. The only downside I've experienced is that they will slowly drain the battery of the gamepad when they're off and stored. Like I had a gamepad for two weeks without it and still at full charge but if I leave the back button plugged it'll drain a fully charged gamepad in the same period. Not an issue if you use them often.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Inspector Hound posted:

They're still much prettier than some of the games that came out after them, and the combat is very satisfying. Batman is mean to criminals

They’re also really well up-ported to Unreal 4 from Unreal 3, though it makes the prerendered cutscenes in Arkham Asylum look kinda rear end by comparison.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I hope this thread is still around when the ps6 launches

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Paying2Lurk posted:

I was kind of surprised they didn't build that into the PS5 controller.