Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
At least this has commentary where they talk about just how precise it has to be. Otherwise it just looks like dodging rain drops for 30 minutes straight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Can you get the SotC trophy for beating the game in under 5:40 on Hard in NG+ or does it have to be a fresh save?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Kilometers Davis posted:

Aw man I forgot how tense and spooky Bloodborne is. The first boss music nearly drives me to a heart attack.

The "poo poo just got real part" where it cuts out for a second and then gets really fast is so good.

In general them recording the Bloodborne soundtrack with an actual orchestra and choir really pays off. I like FromSoftware's music A LOT, like I listen to King's Field music and stuff even, but you can really feel the difference if you go directly from Bloodborne to any of the other ones.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Vials own and estus sucks dick.

:same:

Whatever game FromSoftware does next they should call the game's healing item estus lask and in all the footage/etc. make it look like it behaves how it does in Dark Souls but then in the actual game it's an item you gotta buy and they can just be like "Estus is working as intended."

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
Finally playing SOTC. I cannot believe I used to be good at this game when I was, like, 15. It took me an hour to take down the first two colossi (I forgot where they were and the 2nd one took me an embarrassingly long time to kill).

Having said that, I love this remaster, I love the updated controls (though they have taken some getting used to), I’m really enjoying this a lot.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

All games could use an "Insert Cat" option in their photo modes

Sorry I’m late but I’m laughing way too hard at the thought of this

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Morby posted:

Finally playing SOTC. I cannot believe I used to be good at this game when I was, like, 15. It took me an hour to take down the first two colossi (I forgot where they were and the 2nd one took me an embarrassingly long time to kill).

Having said that, I love this remaster, I love the updated controls (though they have taken some getting used to), I’m really enjoying this a lot.

:hfive: I spent at least half an hour looking for 7 before realizing I was in a completely wrong part of the map and needed to backtrack all the way to the central plain.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Gundam Versus has some real questionable balancing decisions here.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Neo Rasa posted:

The "poo poo just got real part" where it cuts out for a second and then gets really fast is so good.

In general them recording the Bloodborne soundtrack with an actual orchestra and choir really pays off. I like FromSoftware's music A LOT, like I listen to King's Field music and stuff even, but you can really feel the difference if you go directly from Bloodborne to any of the other ones.

From Software are the masters of soundtracks, and i really hope that they can still get Kota Hoshino to make the music for the next Armored Core

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Vials own and estus sucks dick.

This is just contrarian for the sake of being contrarian lol.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

even counting the bloodborne thread, I don't think I've ever seen someone like vials before now

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

Can you get the SotC trophy for beating the game in under 5:40 on Hard in NG+ or does it have to be a fresh save?

You can do it on NG+, that’s how I did it. It’s easy to rush through with the special weapons and upgraded stamina.

Note that time attack will always give you default stats, so you’ll have to earn those weapons the hard way.

If you want the weapons trophy, finish all the normal time attacks and get the weapons, then start NG+ from that file and do the hard time attacks. You don’t need to wait to pick them up at once or anything like some people think.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
I'm not getting bored with Monster Hunter World 200 hours in but I could really do with a pinch of Ace Combat 7 news.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

If there was a version of MH where fights took five minutes instead of twenty-five I could see myself playing it for a million hours but as it is it takes far too long to grind up the poo poo you want. I'll play til I hit credits then stop same as usual probably.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

MrLonghair posted:

I'm not getting bored with Monster Hunter World 200 hours in but I could really do with a pinch of Ace Combat 7 news.

You played a game for 200 hours in 3 weeks? :stare:

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Is it DS4 Windows or bluetooth that is trash because setting it up on PC is incredibly frustrating.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

It’s the dongle they want you to buy

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

poe meater posted:

Is it DS4 Windows or bluetooth that is trash because setting it up on PC is incredibly frustrating.

Bluetooth and possibly some unfortunate interactions with Steam's handling of controllers.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sakurazuka posted:

Nah Legend -> Underworld were cool and also better than Rise

Woah, check out this poo poo take right here! :eyepoop:

Anniversary and Legends are great, Underworld's merely okay. The ending is VERY rushed, and noticeably unfinished, not to mention climbing can be a little picky sometimes about what Lara will and won't hold onto.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

veni veni veni posted:

This is just contrarian for the sake of being contrarian lol.

I like nearly everything about the Souls games except for estus. I'm sorry, I just hate that lovely mechanic and it's just another reason why Bloodborne is the best entry in the Bloodsouls series, which is (estus or no) pretty much the best videogame series around.

Sakurazuka posted:

If there was a version of MH where fights took five minutes instead of twenty-five I could see myself playing it for a million hours but as it is it takes far too long to grind up the poo poo you want. I'll play til I hit credits then stop same as usual probably.

Many of the best system mechanics come late-game or post-game. High-Rank armor, decorations, gems/jewels, skills and set bonuses, charms/mantles, etc. The game is so much more fun in my own humble when you start amassing passive skillsets by the dozens that either buff your basic combat abilities or debuff the enemies. The real monhan begins at around the 40-hour mark.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Woah, check out this poo poo take right here! :eyepoop:

Anniversary and Legends are great, Underworld's merely okay. The ending is VERY rushed, and noticeably unfinished, not to mention climbing can be a little picky sometimes about what Lara will and won't hold onto.

I'm not much into modern Tomb Raider, and I thought Legend was merely okay...but what Crystal Dynamics did with Tomb Raider Anniversary was amazing, and it's up there with the recent SotC in terms of quality remakes.

Too bad it came out between console gens. :(

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Feb 19, 2018

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Honestly the ultimate system would just be “Blood Vials but you always spawn with at least 5 “Estus” vials”

I like Blood Vials more than Estus because it empowers you to go on longer stretches in a row without stopping if you’re in a densely packed zone with mobs that drop lots of them.

Blood Vials make sense as a mechanic and in game lore, Estus doesn’t really. What does the +1 represent, Estus with cane sugar instead of corn syrup?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Vials can be turned into bullets. Discussion over. :fuckoff:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm just very confused as to how blood vials, which become functionally identical to estus a short ways into the game once you have a stock pile of them handy, are good while Estus is poo poo :confused: it's the same drat thing except blood vials suck because they screw over new players when they are starting the game and some people get put off by farming them. It's such a bizarre thing to favor because the distinction is so trivial.

I like how Souls and BB do health management, some people might not. But liking one and not the other doesn't even make any sense.

Estus was one of the coolest additions I've seen in a game after farming grass in Demons. It's a very clever approach to Heath management.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Feb 19, 2018

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
I like MHW health management :cool:

veni veni veni posted:

You played a game for 200 hours in 3 weeks? :stare:

Yep, 7-8 hours a day average for 26 days, would love to be healthy enough to have worked eight hours a day instead of playing the GOTY but at least I'm not this guy on reddit who platinumed the thing with 352 hours on the clock. He cannot be in good shape after that.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

I like how Souls and BB do health management, some people might not. But liking one and not the other doesn't even make any sense.

You have to grind for one, so it's worse.

I liked DS2's estus over 1 and 3's though.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Both have their place but vials are way better for the kind of pacing and story and world that Bloodborne is.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I guess I like the faster usage and obviously blood bullets are cool. If someone says they like blood vials I immediately assume they meant they like farming them for some crazy reason. The distinction between them and Estus has always felt so trivial to me other than the farming/buying which was just a flat out bad idea imo.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

love 2 get stunlocked by the 14th Colossus :comeback:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

It owns because you have to constantly make the call of do you want to heal yourself or do you want set up more damage/some special effect. Estus flasks are great too but the concept isn't anything new, and plenty of dungeon crawlers have used the idea as an abstraction for the extra steps of finding shops in the middle of a dungeon to buy new stuff at.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Many of the best system mechanics come late-game or post-game. High-Rank armor, decorations, gems/jewels, skills and set bonuses, charms/mantles, etc. The game is so much more fun in my own humble when you start amassing passive skillsets by the dozens that either buff your basic combat abilities or debuff the enemies. The real monhan begins at around the 40-hour mark.

But enough about Diablo III and Warframe

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Liver Disaster posted:

It's weird because Monster Hunter has been around for fourteen years and popular across multiple platforms.
The Gamer emerges from under their rock, doritos crusted around their face, lost and confused. "I don't know, that looks pretty anime." they mutter to themselves, getting their bearings.

Ahh yeah only the woke ones have the intelligence enough to know about the amazing monster hunter ps2 and psp game series lmao

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Way to own that guy from like a month ago I guess

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Wildlands is the most extreme example I've seen Of how skilled Ubisoft has become at actually crafting open worlds and how much they refuse to put anything interesting in it.

It just looks and plays so wonderfully but everything feels like a rote icon hunt. Like, if they were just willing to say gently caress it and burn their formula to the ground they could be making some of the best games around.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Quantum of Phallus posted:

love 2 get stunlocked by the 14th Colossus :comeback:

Why are you getting hit by him at all? Just put obstacles between the two of you.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Best SotC moment is when you first see Avion dive-bombing you and you think "well ok, I guess we're doing this"

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

Best SotC moment is when you first see Avion dive-bombing you and you think "well ok, I guess we're doing this"

Is that #5? Played the game on PS2, PS3, and PS4 and it’s still my favorite fight.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

veni veni veni posted:

Wildlands is the most extreme example I've seen Of how skilled Ubisoft has become at actually crafting open worlds and how much they refuse to put anything interesting in it.

It just looks and plays so wonderfully but everything feels like a rote icon hunt. Like, if they were just willing to say gently caress it and burn their formula to the ground they could be making some of the best games around.

They make them that way to appeal to the lowest common denominator for max sales. They are good enough that you feel bad about hating it but lame enough that walmart impulse buyer never feels offput by anything complex or novel

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

I'm just very confused as to how blood vials, which become functionally identical to estus a short ways into the game once you have a stock pile of them handy, are good while Estus is poo poo :confused: it's the same drat thing except blood vials suck because they screw over new players when they are starting the game and some people get put off by farming them. It's such a bizarre thing to favor because the distinction is so trivial.

Estus was one of the coolest additions I've seen in a game after farming grass in Demons. It's a very clever approach to Heath management.

In addition to estus casting slower and not looking as cool I can't carry 20+ of them, can't make them into anything else (bullets), and because it's not a consumable/collectable but more of a refillable resource pool every time I top up the game feels the need to respawn every single enemy. Snore.

Vials, on the other hand, reinforce BB's theme and gameplay perfectly every step of the way, and I absolutely prefer them. Vials are good and estus is bad.

MHW has the best of both worlds in this regard, because you can craft your own but also are given free provisions of lesser quality at the start of every mission that can only be used on that mission. I like systems that emphasize scarcity on some level.

Oxxidation posted:

One of my favorite first-time game moments ever. My thought process at the time was

[he's not moving] > [shoot him with an arrow, now he's moving] > [I wonder if he'll come any closer or just circle forevooooooohhhh poo poo need to jump away] > [accidentally grip the grass out of pure panic instinct] > ["Do a barrel-roll" :getin:]

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Feb 19, 2018

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Personally I think those fan names are stupid and I always have to look up which colossus people are referring to. I always just say "colossus [number]" and I wish everyone else did too. The colossi don't even have official names. They're nameless.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

In addition to estus casting slower and not looking as cool I can't carry 20+ of them, can't make them into anything else (bullets), and because it's not a consumable/collectable but more of a refillable resource pool every time I top up the game feels the need to respawn every single enemy. Snore.

Vials, on the other hand, reinforce BB's theme and gameplay perfectly every step of the way, and I absolutely prefer them. Vials are good and estus is bad.

They are functionally so similar I just assumed you meant you liked that they are a consumable resource which seemed weird. I agree that all of that stuff works better for Bloodborne. By your own logic, estus works better for DS so it's a really odd thing to hate on or even have an opinion on imho. Estus works perfectly for DS pacing and more defensive/evasive gameplay.

...! posted:

Personally I think those fan names are stupid and I always have to look up which colossus people are referring to. I always just say "colossus [number]" and I wish everyone else did too. The colossi don't even have official names. They're nameless.

Ok I'm glad I'm not crazy. All these trophies were popping and I was like "I have never heard any of these names in my life". That also makes me feel better for not liking the names.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

...! posted:

Yeah, those names are bad, but some of the dev nicknames are loving cool

Minotaur A
The Mammoth
The Knight
Kirin
( )
Minotaur B
The Eel
The Gecko
The Turtle
Naga
The Lion
Poseidon
The Snake
Cerberus
Minotaur C
( )

veni veni veni posted:

They are functionally so similar I just assumed you meant you liked that they are a consumable resource which seemed weird. I agree that all of that stuff works better for Bloodborne. By your own logic, estus works better for DS so it's a really odd thing to hate on or even have an opinion on imho. Estus works perfectly for DS pacing and more defensive/evasive gameplay.

Estus annoys me, so I dislike it, especially when they have a better system for which to compare it to. I don't play DS defensively either, so I can't really say if it works better.