Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

:3: YOU DIED :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

CordlessPen posted:

getting rid of the stupid pop in from 30 feet in front of you

I'm on a PSPoor and get that for grasses while riding on Agro.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Is anyone having weird texture streaming issues in SOTC toward the end? The LOD on the environment looks really low and VERRY slowly starts to improve. A restart of the game helps but not for long. Only started after maybe 13 or 14

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Paracelsus posted:

I'm on a PSPoor and get that for grasses while riding on Agro.

Even on my Professional PS4, yeah, the shading (or the LOD) on the grass pops in really close to the camera, and the camera angle when riding Agro really doesn't help hide it, but it's nothing compared to the weird 2D>3D thing that the original had going for it.

Edit to ask:

I'm really, REALLY tempted to get the Yakuza 0+6 bundle, but I'm also really curious about Celeste, and I don't really want to get both. Yakuza seems like the better deal, but having never played one, it's still a 100$ gamble that I might lose.

Exactly how good is Yakuza 0, and how good is Yakuza 6 going to be? Is Celeste a better choice?

CordlessPen fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Feb 19, 2018

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Everyone's talking about From making a cute game but I'm talking about From making another game like Metal Wolf Chaos.

edit: which is cute in its own way I suppose.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Feb 19, 2018

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Sequel to Cookie & Cream when

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

CordlessPen posted:

Exactly how good is Yakuza 0,?

Potentially the funniest game ever made

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What is Yakuza 0 like gameplay-wise. I’m already very sure the humour is my thing

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Because Da Bloodborne Boys are a gang and if you ain't with us then you against us. :clint:

I want to join da boys but boy do I ever suck poo poo at this beautiful game.

Escobarbarian posted:

What is Yakuza 0 like gameplay-wise. I’m already very sure the humour is my thing

beat em up + slice of life open world adventure game + fun minigames

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

Its a brawler. Imagine the evolution of River City Ransom

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Kilometers Davis posted:

I want to join da boys but boy do I ever suck poo poo at this beautiful game.

I gave up on it after the first five minutes, then the first twenty minutes and then finally I was like "all these nerds in the thread keep saying it's good" and I forced myself to keep at it. Something clicked in my brain after an hour or two and now it's legit my favourite PS4 game and the only one I've Plat'd

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I gave up on it after the first five minutes, then the first twenty minutes and then finally I was like "all these nerds in the thread keep saying it's good" and I forced myself to keep at it. Something clicked in my brain after an hour or two and now it's legit my favourite PS4 game and the only one I've Plat'd

What part clicked? Around launched I toughed it out through the cleric beast and the g-father. That’s it though. This time around cleric is packing my poo poo in and the frustration/anxiety is doing a number on me. I feel like I’m always panic playing instead of having a real footing in the game. I’ll keep fighting either way.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Bust Rodd posted:

Guacamelee and Hollow Knight are the only metroidvanias that look interesting to me, the DS castlevania games have such ugly sprites and all the space metroidvania’s lean on the same ugly Sci-Fi backgrounds for everything and remind me more of Cave Story than anything else.

Guacamelee and Hollow Knight just ooze character and personality, and they both have a MUCH better grasp of movement abilities=fun than any of the other games mentioned, which focus more on your guns than your dude.

The thing about Guacamelee is that there's a very sudden difficulty spike at one point. There are some platforming sections that require using so many different abilities in rapid succession that my reflexes are nowhere near good enough. After spending about an hour trying to get past one point I got frustrated and ended up just dropping the game. I have no idea what they were thinking.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ok yeah I may have to get Yakuza. Either that or Bayonetta 2 for the Switch hmm

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

...! posted:

The thing about Guacamelee is that there's a very sudden difficulty spike at one point. There are some platforming sections that require using so many different abilities in rapid succession that my reflexes are nowhere near good enough. After spending about an hour trying to get past one point I got frustrated and ended up just dropping the game. I have no idea what they were thinking.

The spike that knocked me out was a boss fight. The boss would have a color-coded shield to tell you what attack to use. The colors were something like red/orange/green. That’s kind of a no-go when you’re colorblind. TBH I probably still wouldn’t have been able to beat that guy though, I got decent-ish at getting the right color (better than chance, iirc), but even then it was way too hard

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I still remember hearing something weirdly familiar about the Tree Tops theme in Guacamelee and then the dawning horror as I realized it was probably homaging Super Meat Boy.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Just finished SOTC

The ending has me in shambles 😭😭😭

Ueda the GOAT.

Crazy how old this game is and there's been so little that even approaches it.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Kilometers Davis posted:

What part clicked? Around launched I toughed it out through the cleric beast and the g-father. That’s it though. This time around cleric is packing my poo poo in and the frustration/anxiety is doing a number on me. I feel like I’m always panic playing instead of having a real footing in the game. I’ll keep fighting either way.

Basically stay mobile and don't lock on for a lot of big beasts. Don't over reach by attacking heaps (this is where I fall down). Father G is fine once you punch your brain into submission and either learn to parry with the gun or learn to nearly always dive at the thing attacking you, since diving backwards is almost always going to get you caught in a follow up.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Kilometers Davis posted:

Accept that death is inevitable and does not matter

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

Did you play Sleeping Dogs or Shenmue back in the day? Yakuza games are basically beat em up/slice of life games with a ton of effort put into plot, worldbuilding, and mini games. They are a solid 80+ hour title due to this.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Sakurazuka posted:

Right but what about the game

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

e: ^^^^lmao :cheers:

Sakurazuka posted:

Gotcha, now let’s discuss Bloodborne tips.

JBP posted:

Basically stay mobile and don't lock on for a lot of big beasts. Don't over reach by attacking heaps (this is where I fall down). Father G is fine once you punch your brain into submission and either learn to parry with the gun or learn to nearly always dive at the thing attacking you, since diving backwards is almost always going to get you caught in a follow up.

Thanks for the no lock on tip. I assumed I should always be locked on bosses.

I think in general if I stick to shorter combos + aggressive forward dodging I’ll have more success. I like to bait the enemies to attack me but I often dodge back and then close in for an attack. That tactic makes avoiding another attack tricky sometimes.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

tbh I don't agree with not locking onto bosses because the dodge roll sucks. it does make the camera wonky against cleric beast tho

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Because Da Bloodborne Boys are a gang and if you ain't with us then you against us. :clint:

The BB Boyz ain't nothing compared to us Fallen Friends.

stop laughing

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Manatee Cannon posted:

tbh I don't agree with not locking onto bosses because the dodge roll sucks. it does make the camera wonky against cleric beast tho

It depends on the boss for sure, but Ive had greater success not locking on for cleric beast sized bosses. You miss out on quick step but I make greater use of sprinting in those large boss battles.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Kilometers Davis posted:

e: ^^^^lmao :cheers:

Gotcha, now let’s discuss Bloodborne tips.

Thanks for the no lock on tip. I assumed I should always be locked on bosses.

I think in general if I stick to shorter combos + aggressive forward dodging I’ll have more success. I like to bait the enemies to attack me but I often dodge back and then close in for an attack. That tactic makes avoiding another attack tricky sometimes.

Dodge forward. You will literally 'anime' through their attacks and then have a clear shot at their butt, except Vicar Amelia, who's butt is ever-indecipherable because she's a true maiden and not some filthy dog-woman.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Manatee Cannon posted:

Yeah. I mostly lock on but I'll pop it off if I need a better angle.

Also most of the beast bosses, especially the early ones will miss attacks if you dodge into their right armpit.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
You know what, gently caress bowling. gently caress the turkey, gently caress Miri and gently caress the goddamn Mach Bowl, they can loving have it, I don't give a poo poo anymore.

I also can't believe a single Media King property is around 1billion, this is going to be a hell of a grind.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Samuringa posted:

You know what, gently caress bowling. gently caress the turkey, gently caress Miri and gently caress the goddamn Mach Bowl, they can loving have it, I don't give a poo poo anymore.

I also can't believe a single Media King property is around 1billion, this is going to be a hell of a grind.

You can reliably bowl a strike every single time by placing the cursor in just the right spot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9B9cZM-X8U

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Dodge forward. You will literally 'anime' through their attacks and then have a clear shot at their butt, except Vicar Amelia, who's butt is ever-indecipherable because she's a true maiden and not some filthy dog-woman.

yea the thing you gotta realize about dodging is that it gives you iframes so you want to dodge through attacks, not away from them. dodging into an attack will take you safely behind the enemy; dodging backwards away from an attack will keep you in front of the enemy and open to follow ups. this is how you get combo'd to death

Samuringa posted:

leave the game on in the background while you stand in the real estate office. check in to get your money periodically. you'll have billions within an hour if your buildings are upgraded

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Basically only dodge away in BB if you are trying to get the gently caress out of dodge, not to avoid attacks.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

veni veni veni posted:

Basically only dodge away in BB if you are trying to get the gently caress out of dodge, not to avoid attacks.

Yeah you are basically always safer being up in shits grill than a few metres away.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Didn’t realize we were dealing with iframes, nice! I’ll surely eat a bunch of deaths experimenting with the timing but it will be worth it.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
My experience with Yakuza 0 has been:

Oh god this game is amazing
Oh god Majima is so much more fun
damnit, now i'm back to playing Kiryu

and then I got distracted and played other things. I really should get around to finishing it since I think I'm probably still in the very beginning.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

They should put Kiryu and Majima in the new Soul Calibur.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Kilometers Davis posted:

Didn’t realize we were dealing with iframes, nice! I’ll surely eat a bunch of deaths experimenting with the timing but it will be worth it.

Also, even if you take a hit, just hit back. I'm sure you already know about regain but getting up in an enemies poo poo is the only way to exploit that.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Cinnamon Bear posted:

My experience with Yakuza 0 has been:

Oh god this game is amazing
Oh god Majima is so much more fun
damnit, now i'm back to playing Kiryu

and then I got distracted and played other things. I really should get around to finishing it since I think I'm probably still in the very beginning.

That's how I felt about kiwami. Majima fun was the most fun. Until you get tiger drop and you just play Dr. Dickpunch with him.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Kilometers Davis posted:

every souls game has iframes on the dodge move but bloodborne is the most straight forward of the lot. the only thing you have to worry about is whether you're locked on or not because that changes which dodge you get

the free look dodge roll takes you further away so it's good for safely creating space between you and the thing that's trying to kill you. when attacking, the lock on dodge is much better. I believe it has more iframes for starters, but it's also much faster and you recover from it faster so it's much easier to follow your dodge with an attack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

veni veni veni posted:

Also, even if you take a hit, just hit back. I'm sure you already know about regain but getting up in an enemies poo poo is the only way to exploit that.

Yeah I know but that means I can’t be a coward about it and run away :ohdear:

Real talk though that mechanic is soooo good with how it fits in the feel of the game

Manatee Cannon posted:

every souls game has iframes on the dodge move but bloodborne is the most straight forward of the lot. the only thing you have to worry about is whether you're locked on or not because that changes which dodge you get

the free look dodge roll takes you further away so it's good for safely creating space between you and the thing that's trying to kill you. when attacking, the lock on dodge is much better. I believe it has more iframes for starters, but it's also much faster and you recover from it faster so it's much easier to follow your dodge with an attack

I’ll have to spend time with both of them and get comfortable for sure. I can see it being a disadvantage to stick to one or the other full time.

Thank y’all for Bloodborne schooling my chump rear end <3

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Feb 20, 2018