Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I would rather have had a select button TBH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Wait is the ps4 really in its final phase of life? Maybe I should get a xb1x instead?

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
The Options button did take a little bit of getting used to, yeah. Maybe calling it select next time would work better.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Morby posted:

The Options button did take a little bit of getting used to, yeah. Maybe calling it select next time would work better.

Then I would have needed a Start button!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Wait is the ps4 really in its final phase of life? Maybe I should get a xb1x instead?

:suicide:

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Lol, xbox is even closer to the end. They will desperately release one and force ps to respond.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Bombadilillo posted:

Lol, xbox is even closer to the end. They will desperately release one and force ps to respond.

Isn't that exactly what happened with the Wii U releasing way way before any other next gen console and well.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the only decent uses for the touch pad have been as a big, worse than average regular button. it'd be better if they just had real buttons so the options/share buttons could not be minuscule

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
DS4 triggers are two goddamn sensitive and the touchpad is too big, the DS4 is not the future proof perfect controller some believe

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Final phase means several years of shrinking sales growth (like 16 million sold in a year vs 18 million) and lots of games coming out to the consoles matured install base. Its the best time for software

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Is anyone else getting strong MGSV but with freakerszombies vibes from this gameplay footage, or is it just me?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40hxU-dZhUU

Also love that they're still calling it a horde, which is a zombie trope, even though they've gone to such lengths to call them freakers :allears:

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
I said to someone at work they should get a PS4 because it’s the most powerful console completely forgetting that the Xbone One X Box X was released. That’s how loving forgettable that poo poo was.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

They call them freakers because they arent dead their like rabid animals or whatever and the head guy there is really anal about his sons of anarchy fan fiction lore

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

DS4 triggers are two goddamn sensitive and the touchpad is too big, the DS4 is not the future proof perfect controller some believe

Triggers suck and are a curse. Make them go away.

The touch pad could be half as wide and accomplish the same purpose, and give me back Start/Select.

The colored light bar was designed to work with the Playroom and nothing else. It's novelty for the sake of novelty. I'd rather have a little PS3 style 1/2/3/4 light on the front.

The battery life sucks.

The analog sticks need durable, tactile rubber that doesn't wear off.

The rumble is good, though occasionally powerful in a distracting way.

The shape and weight of the controller are good and the face buttons are good.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Infinitum posted:

Is anyone else getting strong MGSV but with freakerszombies vibes from this gameplay footage, or is it just me?

Also love that they're still calling it a horde, which is a zombie trope, even though they've gone to such lengths to call them freakers :allears:

It's a shame this actually looks halfway decent (and gorgeous to boot) because everything about the presentation is insanely off putting. I wish this had been more of a COYA thing where you could have played as your own character and not been stuck as "totally not Jax from SOA original character DO NOT STEAL."

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Infinitum posted:

I get a strong poo poo game vibe from that video, so the polar opposite of MGS:V.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Infinitum posted:

This game looks really fun, and the setting is fantastic.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Almost like Metal Gear Survive on a bigger budget. :thunk:

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

VideoGames posted:

I would love to have a VR set up, but the price is just far too high.

I expect that is true for a lot of people like me (most casuals) that we want to play VR games and mess around with the capabilities but cannot afford it at all.

late but :same:

I had a blast with my bro's Oculus. VR is hella cool. If I had a pro I would prob drop the cash on a PSVR for Super Hot and RE7 alone.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

The best thing is the L1 R1. Playing souls or ac:o on pc, anything with the bumpers as a primary button on a xbox controller is loving terrible.

I have trouble getting ps4 controllers to work over bluetooth on pc but I wish I could get it working.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Wow people were not kidding about Uncharrted Lost Legacy being real good. I'm sure that having already seen LPs of the mainline games wasn't helping my enjoyment of them compared to going in fresh but still, this one really got me. Mainly because Chloe and Nadine are a much more interesting team than Nathan and his forgotten not-dead scumbag brother. Super got me with the swerve on Asav too.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

KodiakRS posted:

Well....gently caress. So if my bricked PS4 gets refurbished and sent back to someone else how screwed am I? I have 2FA on my PSN account and the only games I own are physical copies. I use amazon prime/hbo go so I'll need to change their passwords which should effectively disable those. Since I have no digital content and never even gave Sony my CC number I'm probably not going to get hosed by whoever ends up with my PS4 right?

Or is the deactivating thing important because I'll need to deactivate my current (dead) PS4 before activating my new one?

They're not going to repair your PS4 and send it still activated to your account to someone else. They totally wipe it. Why would they?

The deactivation thing isn't a big deal, just mention it in the information you send them with the RMA. It'll be fine. Relax!

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

anyone know how ESO works if i have the physical gold edition but purchase the morrowind upgrade? does it become digital or i still need to use the gold edition disc

You most likely still need the disc. It probably just acts like DLC. You could probably contact Bethesda Online Services and ask, though.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Manatee Cannon posted:

the only decent uses for the touch pad have been as a big, worse than average regular button. it'd be better if they just had real buttons so the options/share buttons could not be minuscule

The touch pad actually had a lot of potential but no one seems to use it, so Im fine with losing it if it means more battery life. Having multiple extra potential buttons and gestural controls is actually a pretty cool forward thinking thing for a controller. They could have probably used it to make RTS more viable on consoles even.

Unfortunately most games are multiplatform and aren't going to design around it, and most PS exclusives have no need for it.

E: They could have just made start and options the corners of the pad too and got rid of the buttons all together.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 06:19 on May 23, 2018

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

As long as the DS5 keeps the headphone jack I’m happy. I don’t use it that much but love it when I have to - and it’s some weird black magic because it’s so good.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

The way things have been going in Android and iOS-land you will probably be on the lookout for a Bluetooth headset when the PS5 hits.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I've still got my worthless Bluetooth PS3 headset that came with socom I think lol. It was great for barely hearing people talk and not turning on sometimes.

The addition of standard 1/8 inch headphone jacks this gen was the best thing controllers have ever done.

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

Dog controls your destiny.

Speaking of where controls are going in the near future, I really hope gyro aiming becomes the norm sooner than later.

I was never a PC gamer, so I never really understood why mouse+KB people hated on stick aiming so much, then I tried stick + gyro aiming and holy poo poo. Stick aiming is no longer fun and feels like poo poo after experiencing that.

It's possible for developers to do it with the DS4 as far as I know, but it feels really late in the console's life cycle for a feature like that to catch on.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Yeah the most I have ever used the gyro is when I have to use the onscreen keyboard, seems like a waste not to have done more with it besides dumb gesture stuff

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yeah the most I have ever used the gyro is when I have to use the onscreen keyboard, seems like a waste not to have done more with it besides dumb gesture stuff

In Yakuza 6 you can use the gyro to play with a baby

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I love seeing all the Horizon talk.

It is my 5th favourite game of all time and everytime I think of it I get the biggest, goofiest grin. Just all round a wonderful surprise!

For those curious:
5- Horizon Zero Dawn
4- Mass Effect 3
3- Quake 2
2- Super Mario Brothers 3
1- Portal 2

:D Not sure yet where Nier: Automata will fall in the top 20, but it is looking like it will knock something off.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I was a real big fan of HZD at first but going back to do the dlc a year later felt like a massive chore

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

VideoGames posted:

It is my 5th favourite game of all time and everytime I think of it I get the biggest, goofiest grin. Just all round a wonderful surprise!

For those curious:
5- Horizon Zero Dawn
4- Mass Effect 3
3- Quake 2
1- Portal 2

:D Not sure yet where Nier: Automata will fall in the top 20, but it is looking like it will knock something off.

Cripes. Amazing how similar and different people can be at the same time.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

VideoGames posted:

For those curious:
5- Horizon Zero Dawn
4- Mass Effect 3
3- Quake 2
1- Portal 2

SMB3 is one of those crown jewel games.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Manatee Cannon posted:

vr this gen is proof of concept that it can work. still gotta work on that motion sickness problem if they want it to really take off tho

I don't think VR will ever take off. I think it's a fundamentally unappealing product. I don't want to strip anything to my head to play video games and I don't expect the masses to, either. At this point, it's clearly a fad that has tapered off hard and quick.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
SMB3 is wonderful in every way. To look at it and SMB1 and know they were on the exact same console. Also the music. Also the way you could go through the world however you wanted to.

It was the first game I ever completed. (I even beat it before SMB1!)

I have been writing about my top twenty and why I like them so much. It has been fascinating to me, to analyse what games do right for me as well as taking into account the environment of the time and my own current mental wellbeing. I have been loving it :D

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Lambert posted:

I don't think VR will ever take off. I think it's a fundamentally unappealing product. I don't want to strip anything to my head to play video games and I don't expect the masses to, either. At this point, it's clearly a fad that has tapered off hard and quick.

I feel the same way but I also consider that I am old and younger people won't have the same barrier to strapping on vr or having an eye replaced with technology.

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax
I just got a PSVR (for the European equivalent of $200; not that expensive anymore), and I'm super impressed by how well it works. It's not just a fad, it's the most immersive videogame thing I've experienced in a decade. In another ten years it will be the standard way of playing videogames.

Also, the Beat Saber game that was mentioned a few pages ago is coming to PSVR too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gV1sw4lfwFw

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Aardark posted:

I just got a PSVR (for the European equivalent of $200; not that expensive anymore), and I'm super impressed by how well it works. It's not just a fad, it's the most immersive videogame thing I've experienced in a decade. In another ten years it will be the standard way of playing videogames.

Also, the Beat Saber game that was mentioned a few pages ago is coming to PSVR too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gV1sw4lfwFw

:hellyeah: That's awesome news.

Guess I might be picking up a PSVR in the future

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Aardark posted:

In another ten years it will be the standard way of playing videogames.

There is quite literally no chance of that being true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
I like to strap something to my head and play because I tried it and I like VR and bought it. The one and only downside is getting sweaty in the summertime, but if you get sweat where it shouldn't be, Sony will help you out unlike the Vive support department.

I only see VR taking off on console, ever. MS delivered Windows Mixed Reality and it looked all fine, then they tied it to a pole in the backyard and left it, sometimes they bring it water and chow. Oculus and Vive are just for nerds with even more money than that, and then there's how fucky the pricing is outside of the US where WMR sales hit $199 a bunch, PSVR was $199 twice IIRC, while our WMR kits are $500 like the standard Vive kit. Then there's PC component costs and how boosted their prices are due to treehuggers and extra taxes.

It is no wonder that they downgraded their adoption rate outlook on the entire industry of VR. It's only realistic.

Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to practice my Revolver Ocelot moves in Rec Room PSVR ahead of the free Battle Royale VR test coming this weekend.