Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Why does H1Z1 look and play like a Saints Row 2 mod?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Quantum of Phallus posted:

*everything*

Goons - “this is bad and i'm going to continually post in great detail why it is bad and why I am so sick and tired of it, not like all the plebians that just enjoy things and move on”

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Manatee Cannon posted:

100% damage block shields break the game in half

Kite shield is this and obtainable early if I recall....

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

I wonder if cursing will be as scary for people now as it was for me the first time?

it sure was!
I was doing pretty well and found the game to be relatively easy compared to the others in the series. and then i got to the depths. those fuckers cursed me instanteniously. several times. and then it broke my streak and everything's been killing me forever after.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Bombadilillo posted:

Kite shield is this and obtainable early if I recall....

there are a shitload of them and a bunch can be obtained early. the generic shield hollows in the undead areas drop one and you can buy a tower kite shield (which is what the knight starts with) or cadeceus shield from andre. the later two are some of the better medium shields you can get. there's also the balder shield, which is way better than those early on but are a pretty rare drop from balder knights in the parish

later games teach you that shields are trash for babies but that's only because they were broken as gently caress in the early games and had to be nerfed heavily

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

*A wildly popular series loved by many with millions of sales across the globe*

Goons - “this is bad”

It's not the games that are bad. It's the fans.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I’m not going to try to change anyone’s mind on QD / Detroit but if you liked the other games, buy this asap. It’s their best by far and I’m in love with all three stories. The characters are great. Each story has a specific visual style and there are three composers, one for each character. The music is so good.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

Manatee Cannon posted:

there are a shitload of them and a bunch can be obtained early. the generic shield hollows in the undead areas drop one and you can buy a tower kite shield (which is what the knight starts with) or cadeceus shield from andre. the later two are some of the better medium shields you can get. there's also the balder shield, which is way better than those early on but are a pretty rare drop from balder knights in the parish

later games teach you that shields are trash for babies but that's only because they were broken as gently caress in the early games and had to be nerfed heavily

Yeah, I haven't used my shield much, since Bloodborne was my first foray into the series and it taught me to be super aggressive. I'd like to try to get good at the game without relying too much on shields.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

well fyi don't bother trying to dual wield because it's terrible in ds1. having like a catalyst in the offhand is one thing, but holding two swords is pointless

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Manatee Cannon posted:

the spider shield is also 100% physical, and you can start the game with that if you pick... bandit?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Waltzing Along posted:

It's not the games that are bad. It's the fans.

"If I drink concentrated OJ / can I think Consolidated's okay / it's not the band I hate / it's their fans"

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Manatee Cannon posted:

You can do a lot of things with shields, especially greatshields, in 2. You can do a whole lot of cool and dumb things in 2 that you can't really in the rest of the series though.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Yeah, pyro kills early game offensively, 100% shield kills it defensively

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

*A wildly popular series loved by many with millions of sales across the globe*

Goons - “this is bad”

But the idea was that christian gray was a vampire all along

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Kilometers Davis posted:

I’m not going to try to change anyone’s mind on QD / Detroit but if you liked the other games, buy this asap. It’s their best by far and I’m in love with all three stories. The characters are great. Each story has a specific visual style and there are three composers, one for each character. The music is so good.

Yeah I’m enjoying it a lot. I understand if it’s not people’s schtick but I can prove it’s a good game in two points.

- Lance Henrickson
- Clancy Brown

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Shields are so good in ds1 that even two hand builds benefit from having a buffing shield like grass shield on their backs at all times

I personally like that about the game tho. I like how enemies also abuse defense and the level design plays with that.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
It doesn't make any sense that upgrading shields reduces the amount of stamina they consume while blocking attacks but that's how it works.

edit: without increasing their weight or anything.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Samurai Sanders posted:

It doesn't make any sense that upgrading shields reduces the amount of stamina they consume while blocking attacks but that's how it works.

Making them more shock absorbent i guess

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Samurai Sanders posted:

They're lighter and better built, so they're easier to handle? :shrug:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Real hurthling! posted:

Making them more shock absorbent i guess
Like adding springs or gas compressible cylinders to them or something?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Spraying marshmallow fluff on them

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it's magic clearly

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Doctor Zero posted:

- Lance Henrickson
- Clancy Brown

You make a powerful argument....

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Doctor Zero posted:

Yeah I’m enjoying it a lot. I understand if it’s not people’s schtick but I can prove it’s a good game in two points.

- Lance Henrickson
- Clancy Brown

Yeah! I was so excited to see Clancy Brown. His character is awesome.

Also holy poo poo there are quite a few unsettling horror parts in the game :aaaaa: the graphic quality really adds to how hosed up it all is. I just ran into some legit silent hillesque body horror in a spooky mansion and it creeped me the heck out.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I can't believe I got God of war and I think I don't like it. I do not gel with this combat at all.
I can't get a hit in on the revenants at all, the only way I can survive those fights is by hanging back getting my boy to slowly plink away with arrows. I am aware I'm supposed to get close, throw a punch, get him to arrow the smoke and punch more but I just cannot move fast enough. I have successfully done it once in about 6 hours of playtime so far.
there are also so many fights where I'm getting stunlocked and can't dodge out of loosing 90% of my health bar. And most fights don't have any health pickups in the arena. One wrong move or unlucky mistake is basically the end of a fight and not worth continuing. What the gently caress is hard mode like instant kill??
Maybe I'm just poo poo at videogames but I am really not finding this fun. I'm pretty sure I died less in the entirety of bloodborne but at least this throws you back in pretty quickly.

I'm up to 10 retries on this ogre in the snowy clearing with a few regular guys and nothing I can do gets me anywhere. I'm getting loving pasted within seconds. I just tried a round where I did nothing but spam dodge and try to stay out of the way and I still got killed. Just don't understand how to play this game??

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 05:52 on May 27, 2018

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Arrow first then punch. Atreus can't hit the smoke.

E: furthermore, Atreus hitting them while they are corporeal keeps them that way for a time so they specifically don't become smoke again

Big Bowie Bonanza fucked around with this message at 05:55 on May 27, 2018

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Just put the game on the easiest difficulty? Not sure what else to say other than use your shield to block things and make sure you upgrade/change your armor/gems?

However if you aren't enjoying it. Just stop playing it. No one is judging you on whether you like the game or not. You are meant to enjoy playing games not dislike it. Hell I ended up bouncing off The Last of Us because I thought it was boring as poo poo but everyone raved about it.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

freeranger posted:

However if you aren't enjoying it. Just stop playing it. No one is judging you on whether you like the game or not.

I am, I bought a digital copy at full price.
I'm venting because I feel like I'm missing something, I finished bloodborne, played nier on hard - and I've got friends who found nier too difficult on normal starting a hard playthrough of God of war. Just can't figure out what I'm missing. I'm only a few hours in, I don't have any armor/gems to change. Almost every single fight in the game so far I've had to retry multiple times.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Also punch the ogre til you can ride him and always do that to ogres. Any fights with ogres in them are like little easy breaks from the more challenging enemies. Learn to love ogres.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

Also punch the ogre til you can ride him and always do that to ogres. Any fights with ogres in them are like little easy breaks from the more challenging enemies. Learn to love ogres.

What?
How do you dodge ogre moves? Any move I start to see play out, if I'm close double tapping dodge doesn't get me far away enough and I still get hurt. Getting close to one means I'm dead in seconds. I've tried dodging back, into it, to the sides. Nothing keeps me from getting hurt.
Maybe I was expecting something different but did other people find it this hard, is it a bloodborne kind of game and I just haven't cracked the systems yet?

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

The answer to that is mash that boy button. Atreus's arrows distract enemies long enough for you to get hits in.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Also real talk throw your axe more

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
^ I'm fighting an ogre, the axe throw doesn't hurt it. It bounces off.
E: that's another issue I have. Half the moves I have don't work against the vast majority of things I'm fighting. Revenants can't be hurt by axe, ogres deflect, etc.

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

The answer to that is mash that boy button. Atreus's arrows distract enemies long enough for you to get hits in.

I'm not finding that the case with this ogre, it completely ignores being hit by arrows. They take off a teeny tiny sliver of health but don't affect what it's doing. It doesn't react to much, it just powers through it's animations.
I tried sticking it on 'give me a story' and it's insultingly easy, everything died in one hit and there's a timer so when you get hit you're invincible and can't be hurt for some time afterwards. Actually tried dying and the boy finished everything off, didn't press a thing. That's not very fun either.
Really wish I knew what I was missing with this.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 06:18 on May 27, 2018

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Hitting the ogres in the head with your axe throw temporarily stuns them, just gotta be a bit more precise

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
If you’re starting on “Give Me God of War”, don’t. The game is a slow burn of introducing mechanics and new abilities, and while GMGOW is a really fun challenge once you know them all and all of your options that are gonna be available later, combining that with learning everything is just inviting pain the whole way through.

Honestly it still sucks that there’s no NG+ for that same reason. Starting over with everything available would be a game breaking good time.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

He's not on gmgow if he's changing difficulty

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Dewgy posted:

If you’re starting on “Give Me God of War”, don’t.

lol if I was playing on hard or give me God of war I wouldn't be complaining. I cannot get through a fight without dying on normal - on easy I can't die if I try.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I’m not very far into GoW but I also feel the tells from big enemies about the effectiveness of different strategies, and the range of their attacks, could be clearer.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Its not a perfect game, but if you are dying EVERY fight on normal then you are doing something so wrong that "cant die" easy is for you.

I say this as an old man who shamelessly easy's through lots of games for the story.

GOW has literal challange worlds, you should not be dying on normal enemies more than rarely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

tbf the game and combat is a bit tougher til you get enough XP to start investing in more moves.

Maybe take it down to easy til you get used to it/open up the skillset?