Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

E3 2010 is why Konami stopped making games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Is playing ace combat 7 with the ds4 a viable option or do you need one of those expensive twin stick flight sim set ups that are only for right handed people?

Also is it a worthwhile single player experience or is it mostly geared for multiplayer?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Ace Combat 7 is not a flight sim, nor are any of the Ace Combats. You do not need anything other than a controller.

If you’ve never played an AC before the single player may not grab you for $60 but I would say it’s mainly a single player game. It’s sort of the equivalent of the “silent protagonist” FPS single player but with a much stronger sense of the world and people around you. There is multiplayer and it’s okay but it’s not an especially robust mode.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
gently caress Hollow Knight is a cool game. Every time I think I've got the map figured out there's another really interesting new area. This is honestly one of the best games over played in a while. So hard to put down. The boss fights are wonderfully done.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Kibayasu posted:

Ace Combat 7 is not a flight sim, nor are any of the Ace Combats. You do not need anything other than a controller.

If you’ve never played an AC before the single player may not grab you for $60 but I would say it’s mainly a single player game. It’s sort of the equivalent of the “silent protagonist” FPS single player but with a much stronger sense of the world and people around you. There is multiplayer and it’s okay but it’s not an especially robust mode.

Cool, I'll check it out when it gets cheap

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I am actually enjoying Inquisitor: Martyr quite a bit but I am so sick of console ports with absolutely garbage performance. Playing Martyr in multiplayer is shocking. It just runs like trash. I was also really looking forward to playing ECHO and the framerate was so bad.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
PS3 gen also largely killed off the racing genre

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
How’s the VR in Gran Tourismo Sport? Is it limited to a few things like AC’s or is it a way to play the whole game?

Rinkles posted:

PS3 gen also largely killed off the racing genre

There were some great racing games that gen. The GRID series was fantastic.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Ugly In The Morning posted:

There were some great racing games that gen. The GRID series was fantastic.

Problem was most of them didn't sell.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Maybe racing fans don't need many games, only 1 good one.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Maybe that's just the fault of racing games being incredibly boring

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Yeah but some have cool menu music

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

How’s the VR in Gran Tourismo Sport? Is it limited to a few things like AC’s or is it a way to play the whole game?
Limited. Your best choice for VR racing on PS4 is probably Dirt Rally

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

It’s a separate, shorter campaign. VR is pretty cool because you actually turn your head to look in the rear view mirrors, but because of PSVR’s limited resolution the image you get in the mirrors is tiny. On the other hand I feel so much more urgency to keep my eyes on the road in VR that I hardly ever peel my eyes away to look in the mirrors.

It’s super fun overall but the resolution limitations are pretty obvious

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Tei posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1vmrMAqeWM&t=494s

Oh god that guy looking at the other guy at 8:14.

This is the funniest thing I’ve ever seen

I can’t stop thinking about it

It’s going to haunt me

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Sakurazuka posted:

Forza is an incredibly good game. It's all things to all people though, so maybe that's why it does so well. I really enjoyed it on PC even though setting up mp with friends was dogshit

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

You can drive any car on (I think) any track, but only in time trial or versus one CPU driver.

It's amazing, but..yeah there's not much to it sadly.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Earthfall: I got this for 10$, I trough.. how bad it can be?

Is pretty rough, bugs, primitive interface and most important, the movement and shooting lack finesse. It feel like a bad FPS, and these are rare since most FPS get the shooting and movement right, then add everything else.

If this where Steam, I would ask for a refund.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

All this Rock Band talk has got me thinking how neat it'd be to combine it with PSVR.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Just remembered I was waiting for Rock Band 4 to fail miserably so I could snap a set up cheap later but instead it seemed to have been scoured from the face of the earth.

Or I just forgot about and never checked.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Welp monster hunter world has its hooks in me

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

:siren: HYPERBOLE ALERT :siren:

It's the polished culmination of a decade's worth of development techniques from the post-9/11 era of gaming. It's sort of a dinosaur in some ways for sure but it's also an example of nearly everything that was good about games between 2006-2014 specifically, all rolled up in a package that delivers on all fronts. Apart from everything that has been said about the story/SP it also shipped with the single most compelling and original multiplayer mode of the last 2 decades, and later dropped a story DLC chapter that blew the debate doors off of what types of themeatic content were seemingly allowable within the framework of a mainstream studio release. So much analysis has been written about the game at this point that TLOU design critique is pretty much its own genre. Try replaying the game and then watch The Rootwork Building, a critical analysis of the thematic and interactive structure of the game, where a bunch of the psychological design techniques of the game are sussed out and explored in fine detail.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
gently caress it, slapping down hard cash right now for that last of us remaster, gotta see this dlc stuff and that 60fps. think i might pick one of these higher modes like grounded from the get go (if its unlocked already) i played on normal on ps3.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Why don't major game companies have a few professional actors/presenters on staff full time, whose job is present at events when the time comes and study the material the rest of the time.

It seems like a pretty cheap fix to this problem.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Policenaut posted:

If you want a mostly uninterrupted look then

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ye3aF_eNtUQ

It's the one non-tutorial mission that was in the Alpha, although a bunch of it seems to look different than how I remember it being.

Maybe? From the sounds of things short term all they're doing is finishing the season pass content and making it easier to get into it while long term goals are nebulous.

They really ripped off Warframe with some of these character designs.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Nah we don't need no special presentator just shove that beardo dude out who barely knows English to awkwardly shuffle around with his hands in his pockets on an E3 stage it'll be fine

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

The Human Crouton posted:

Why don't major game companies have a few professional actors/presenters on staff full time, whose job is present at events when the time comes and study the material the rest of the time.

Not everyone can be Sega

https://twitter.com/piplupfan77/status/974374362294796289

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

That's exactly what devolver digital does

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKgEsuEBhqI

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Can someone help me out with this understanding this post? Not sure I see anything in Konami's 2010 press conference that needs "fixing" :confused:

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Little shocked that some of you started up one of the newer Assassin's Creed games then dropped it because it was too similar to the older games. I was in the mood for an AC game a few months ago so I started Origins. I came very close to dropping it because it plays almost nothing at all like the older games, especially early on. It did start feeling more familiar once I got fairly far in the game but the combat, the loot/upgrade systems, even the drat menus are completely different. I eventually began to like it but it's absolutely not Assassin's Creed. For a very long time, to me the game felt like it started out as a completely different game that they just slapped the Assassin's Creed name on midway through development.

I'm honestly baffled that anyone could play it and think it's much like the old ones at all, especially near the beginning. Any similarities there are really don't begin to show themselves until halfway through. :confused:

I really hope they eventually make more in the old style at some point. I'll definitely play Odyssey eventually but if I'm actually in an Assassin's Creed mood, I'll replay the Ezio trilogy, Black Flag, Rogue, or Syndicate.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Yeah the recent Asscreed games are a real departure. They're more like action RPGs now. You can certainly spec assassination skills so that your backstabs and long range options are deadly enough to clear out places unseen, but there's a much bigger emphasis on combat and numbers going up.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

They still have the core of the games but yeah when Origins was being developed they overhauled and changed just about everything in some way. They still scratch the itch that the old ones did but imo everything is much improved. If you spec for being a stealth assassin it feels like the old games but much better. Here’s a helpful article about getting that old assassin feel. When I pick up the game again I’m going heavy into that direction.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Loser dev Ubisoft doesn’t have much confidence in Assassin’s Creed games. The new ones play almost nothing like the old ones! Sad!

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
So Ace Combats VR is separate from the campaign? Is it a different plot or just standalone missions or what?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Loser dev Ubisoft doesn’t have much confidence in Assassin’s Creed games. The new ones play almost nothing like the old ones! Sad!

The all look like dreck to me!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm not bothering with AC again unless they really step up their mission design from origins. They had most of the puzzle pieces for a good game there. But it still boiled down to Ubisofts low effort mission design. Everything I have watched from odyssey looks liek more of the same. Even if I sort of want to play it, I know I'll get bored after about 8 hours like I have with literally every other AC game.

To be fair I think I enjoyed Origins for a good 15+ hours before I dropped it. Making it my most played AC ever.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
It's an ubisoft game, it doesn't matter how good an idea is since they're going make you do until you hate it or are bored to death.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I know I've said it before, but Ubisoft just makes me mad because they have hit the point where they make such nice looking open worlds and I really want to play them, but to me there is just nothing compelling to do in them. or even if it is, it gets old eons before you are done with any of it.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

veni veni veni posted:

I know I've said it before, but Ubisoft just makes me mad because they have hit the point where they make such nice looking open worlds and I really want to play them, but to me there is just nothing compelling to do in them. or even if it is, it gets old eons before you are done with any of it.

To be fair I doubt you’ll ever like them and I don’t see Odyssey being for you. The Ubisoft/AC flow is like crack to me and a lot of people but if it doesn’t click then it doesn’t click. Odyssey has far better missions than Origins but it’s still the same general formula.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It took me over 90 hours to platinum rear end Odyssey and while I wouldn't say it bored me I was very ready for it to be over way before that.