Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

lordfrikk posted:

What's not as cool is fighting him in a phone booth-sized space with the camera getting stuck on geometry, your lockon breaking constantly and his moveset being so fast most of the time you cant even make head or tails of what the gently caress is going on.

I mean it's a From game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

DLC Inc posted:

Yakuza 0 is still my favorite of the series and it's been tough to play Kiwami/6 afterwards since I really love the dual characters of 0 alongside each having 3 fighting styles and kind of a bigger moveset. The story of 0 also feels like the best one I've played in the series so far, and afaik the amount of side content in 0 also felt like the most/best. The gang warfare of 6 is cool but 0, besides the real estates/hostess rpg just has SO much poo poo.

Play Kiwami 2 if you haven't, that one and Zero are the absolute pinnacles of the series imho. I mean, play all of them because there is no such thing as an underwhelming mainline Yakuza game, but Zero and Kiwami 2 are desert island games for me.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

lordfrikk posted:

Another poorly designed part also rears its head constantly and thats having perilous moves all using the same graphic. Its a system which requires you to read the opponent and react accordinly which is great. Having the graphic be the same for for 3 different things and often covering the enemy completely fucks with the player IMO, moreso in a game like this where one poor reaction means youre dead.

I don't know if I'd say it's poorly designed. The symbol means "you can't block this attack". it's not a warning of what specific attack it is.

I agree it's kind of hard to use effectively though. The window is pretty unforgiving.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

veni veni veni posted:

I don't know if I'd say it's poorly designed. The symbol means "you can't block this attack". it's not a warning of what specific attack it is.

I agree it's kind of hard to use effectively though. The window is pretty unforgiving.

Yeah that bit doesn’t bother me too much. It’s just saying a special parry opportunity’s coming up, but making sure you do the right one is all on you.

Honestly I’m excited to see a video of someone in a few months who’s gotten REALLY good at the combat. Watching speedruns of this is going to be intense.

Biggest tip I’ve learned so far: Holding block for a few moments recovers your posture way faster, and especially when you have full health. I know the game teaches you that really early on but it’s super easy to forget about it until a bit later when you need to do it.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I feel like the enemy tells in the game are crystal clear, I always know the specific way in which I’ve hosed up.
I will say I have already died to the camera more than I have probably across all of my Bloodborne playthroughs and I’m not even at the third boss

Edit: also I don’t understand why people are repeating the “no RPG systems” the game has like 3-4 different kinds of skill tree there’s tons of character progression.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Mar 24, 2019

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Same on the camera.

I’m stuck on two mini bosses and a real boss and not sure how to beat them.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I also just started Yakuza 0 but I literally cannot do karaoke. Should I continue?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Beachcomber posted:

I also just started Yakuza 0 but I literally cannot do karaoke. Should I continue?

yes. i mean you can fail karaoke as much as you want and i'm pretty sure the only thing that changes is people's responses

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Beachcomber posted:

Karaoke in the original games is terrible, so continue with the game, but don’t do karaoke until you play Yakuza 6.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Beachcomber posted:

It's pretty much optional except for like one or two story points where you can fail it anyway.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

bows1 posted:

Same on the camera.

I’m stuck on two mini bosses and a real boss and not sure how to beat them.

Don’t sleep on firecrackers they are crazy good on an any human or animal enemy, and sneaking up on Mini-Bosses is a huge deal.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

I've been getting lost in Sekiro for the last two days. Verdict:

It's REALLY fuckin' good

I wasn't really digging the traditional Japanese asthetics, but there is enough cool stuff done in the setting (so far) that I don't really mind. And, hey, it could still get really wild in the later parts. Right now, I'm at the very top of Ashina Castle, and I killed Lady Butterfly (that is an extremely well-done fight, and it's amazing how fast you can blaze through it once you really know what you're doing!). It's quite a different beast than Dark Souls; breaking stamina with parries & blocking in general is MUCH more important for some enemies, and you kinda have to get used to different enemy types to properly use special counters. I still have no idea how to handle the spear monk guys.

Now I have to decide whether I should kill General Ashina, or see what I can find in the Abandoned Dungeon...

Choices!!!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Now that it's out and I've seen some gameplay videos I can definitively say I absolutely am not going to get Sekiro because I will get absolutely nowhere in it lmao

I've gone this long without parrying properly I'm not starting now

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

Now that it's out and I've seen some gameplay videos I can definitively say I absolutely am not going to get Sekiro because I will get absolutely nowhere in it lmao

You can just dodge ;)

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
You can tell you're playing a From game when you've found the poisonous swamp.

Right now stuck on O'Rin of the Water. Feels doable when she's not comboing me from full HP twice in a row.

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

I love Souls and Bloodborne as atmospheric dungeon crawls where the dungeons have an element of danger that adds to the atmosphere. For me, the bosses are at best neat setpieces to mark the end of dungeon segments, at worst very finicky "get good" style encounters that break the flow of the game.

Sekiro by comparison feels like a boss rush that leaned into the "get good" mantra, all the challenge is wrapped into the very frequent minibosses. And the setting isn't doing anything for me.

I don't think it's a bad game, but it is extremely not my jam.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It’s gonna be a polarizing game for sure. Moreso than bloodborne because it’s a much bigger departure from Souls. It’ll probably be some people’s favorite game and a lot of people are gonna bounce off it because frankly it can feel pretty brutal and you can’t just co-op to make it easier.

Personally I’m loving it, but I do find souls/BB more thematically appealing and the dense exploration is the main thing I dig. At this point I don’t think it’ll be quite up there with bloodborne or Souls for me personally but I still think it’s great and I’m glad they tried something new. I’m still fearing I will hit a point where there is a boss I just flat out can’t beat but that hasn’t happened yet.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

RBA Starblade posted:

I've been really enjoying watching people play it on Twitch, but yeah, I still have zero desire to actually play it myself right now. It just seems so much more stressful than BB or DS games. I'm hoping once this semester ends at school then I'll feel more relaxed enough to pick it up.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Sekiro is so much denser and fully realized than any other FROM game. The verticality and mobility allow levels of exploration that are impossible in the other games.

I think it’s also less stressful than previous titles because your character has so many more options to engage and disengage. The power fantasy starts strong I cannot imagine how monstrous I’m gonna be at the end of the game.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Mar 24, 2019

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Sekiro is a million times less stressful than the Souls games and quite a bit less stressful than Bloodborne.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i keep finishing boss fights in sekiro out of breath because i forget to breathe in the middle of them

only Laurence got that reaction out of me in bloodborne

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Kilometers Davis posted:

Sekiro is a million times less stressful than the Souls games and quite a bit less stressful than Bloodborne.

How so?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
tfw your opponent's Posture meter is near full and flashing red and you've got a sliver of life and no heals left and a wicked little devil in your brain is going "choke, choke, choke, choke, choke, CHOKE, CHOKE, CHOKE"

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Oxxidation posted:

tfw your opponent's Posture meter is near full and flashing red and you've got a sliver of life and no heals left and a wicked little devil in your brain is going "choke, choke, choke, choke, choke, CHOKE, CHOKE, CHOKE"
That's actually the voice of Hidetaka Miyazaki.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I can’t really explain it. The Souls games make me miserable. Bloodborne hosed with me forever until I got decent and still stresses me out a ton. Sekiro hasn’t really been like that but to be fair I’m still early in the game. It just seems like a lot of the bullshit feeling HARD parts are actually only hard until you learn the systems and what the game is trying to communicate to you. The game gives you an absolute massive set of tools and options for dealing with enemies and not having to worry about stamina at all is huge.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Bust Rodd posted:

Sekiro is so much denser and fully realized than any other FROM game. The verticality and mobility allow levels of exploration that are impossible in the other games.

I think it’s also less stressful than previous titles because your character has so many more options to engage and disengage. The power fantasy starts strong I cannot imagine how monstrous I’m gonna be at the end of the game.

Don’t get me wrong it has a fantastic sense of exploration like all of their games do but saying it’s denser is just not correct. Not that it’s objectively a bad thing but the nature of the gameplay means a lot more empty space, non interactive doors, buildings that are just facades etc. it’s still a super fun game to explore but I think a little bit of that “what’s behind the next door/down that hole” From is known for is downplayed.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Oxxidation posted:

Much like Bloodborne, 90% of winning Sekiro battles is making that voice confidently yell "FINISH HIM" instead.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Oxxidation posted:

This is exactly me except it's my wife chanting it as she watches me play.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Lobok posted:

This is exactly me except it's my wife chanting it as she watches me play.

I got my GF to watch this midgame fight against Guardian Ape and she took great joy in me freaking the gently caress out and said "serves you right for picking on the nice monkey" when he picked his loving head back up, then the sword and proceeded to annihilate me because I used all my items and tools thinking I'd one shot him. The game even says Shinobi Execution lmao

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
https://youtu.be/sp7Ofgpfxoc

Potential Sekiro spoilers

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Bust Rodd posted:

Pretty much agreed.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Pretty much agreed.

It basically trades in all the things I didn't like in souls (essentially attack and skill variety, the "RPG" system) and keeps the great poo poo (world design and onus on the player to discover information or draw conclusions). The combat is also light years ahead of souls for someone like me that has been hanging out to really fight poo poo in a game. The clash of steel and sense of being in a fight with an enemy that is fighting you right back is incredible at times.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

JBP posted:

It basically trades in all the things I didn't like in souls (essentially attack and skill variety, the "RPG" system) and keeps the great poo poo (world design and onus on the player to discover information or draw conclusions). The combat is also light years ahead of souls for someone like me that has been hanging out to really fight poo poo in a game. The clash of steel and sense of being in a fight with an enemy that is fighting you right back is incredible at times.

The combat is lightyears ahead of EVERY game.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I just played dmc5 tho

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

I just played dmc5 tho

Bloated.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

BP you gotta play DMC5 sometime it’s SO much fun.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

DMC5 is a lot more fun than Sekiro to my mind, but it's like comparing John Wick to The Professional or something. Both own but the combat tone is vastly different. I'll be returning to both games throughout the year without a doubt and love what both of them have to offer.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

What the gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

DMC5 has a sword with a throttle.

Pablo Nergigante posted: