Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Pablo Nergigante posted:

What the gently caress

gently caress the what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

How could anyone possibly say a DMC game is bloated

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I kinda understand what he means in a way. I think DMCs controls are just a bit too complex and I don’t use like 30% of the tools I have because I like simplicity. That said the game doesn’t punish you for playing like that unless you absolutely have to have the highest score every mission.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
DMC5 is basically a fighting lego set that kicks demon rear end.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

veni veni veni posted:

Don’t get me wrong it has a fantastic sense of exploration like all of their games do but saying it’s denser is just not correct. Not that it’s objectively a bad thing but the nature of the gameplay means a lot more empty space, non interactive doors, buildings that are just facades etc. it’s still a super fun game to explore but I think a little bit of that “what’s behind the next door/down that hole” From is known for is downplayed.

I’m finding secret paths, hidden walls, secret items absolutely everywhere so :shrug:

Comparing these games to John Wick vs the Transporter is so perfectly apt. Two of my favorite movies and the two of my favorite games.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

man nurse posted:

It's pretty much optional except for like one or two story points where you can fail it anyway.

This was my primary concern. I've continued on and now I'm wondering why a clown just gave me a ton of valuable stuff.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Beachcomber posted:

This was my primary concern. I've continued on and now I'm wondering why a clown just gave me a ton of valuable stuff.

that stuff was originally dlc in the japanese release i think, the western releases have it packed in

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Beachcomber posted:

It's basically dlc stuff that was bundled in. Don't worry about using it, it gives you a leg up in the early chapters but isn't that valuable in the grand scheme of things.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Man I hope Sekiro has some Old Hunters level DLC in store for the future.

e: also I love that Team Ninja/Koei-Tecmo are basically just holding all their horses on Nioh 2. Once this Sekiro business dies down I'm expecting a character customisation heavy gameplay trailer.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Been playing Sekiro for a couple of hours. I think I hate it? The combat isn't gelling for me at all. I don't feel like I learn anything from my deaths and the deflect window is so incredibly tight that I rarely manage to deflect anything, even when it seems like I do it just as the enemy hits. Bosses one or two shot me, so I have no idea where I should be going. I have four shinobi arms right now but I don't feel any more powerful or specialized since they don't really do much of anything to any of the regular enemies.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Jimbot posted:

Been playing Sekiro for a couple of hours. I think I hate it? The combat isn't gelling for me at all. I don't feel like I learn anything from my deaths and the deflect window is so incredibly tight that I rarely manage to deflect anything, even when it seems like I do it just as the enemy hits. Bosses one or two shot me, so I have no idea where I should be going. I have four shinobi arms right now but I don't feel any more powerful or specialized since they don't really do much of anything to any of the regular enemies.

Hold block and release it then hold again to deflect so you're always blocking. There is not penalty for this. The prosthetic is useful in certain conditions, which bosses are you up against? Get some tips if you want, I'm about half way through the game and really loving it, but the start is hard as gently caress.

VVVV the parries feel great to me, it's worth practicing at the home base as well, the training options are very useful

JBP fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Mar 25, 2019

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Jimbot posted:

The axe arm ends a long, slow dance with any shielded enemy.

Also, to each their own but as a slow old gamer who usually sucks at parry timings, I found the parry windows to be (in my opinion) crazy generous.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The shinobi tools are 99% for rock-paper-scissoring minibosses and bosses, because every enemy dies in 2-3 normal sword hits if you’re parrying and deflecting.

The shurikens instagib wolves and chickens though.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I know the axe works against the shield and the fire works against red eyed guys. The red eyed guy who kills you with one grab (the one from the previews) and the other boss from the previews is where I'm hitting the wall mainly because if you mess up once you're dead.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The items that reduce vitality damage make a huge difference for difficult encounters.

Also the key to literally every single miniboss is to start the fight, kill all the adds, then run away until the mini loses aggro, then backstab them on their way back to their post. It’s the true Shinobi way.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Bust Rodd posted:

The shinobi tools are 99% for rock-paper-scissoring minibosses and bosses

The only exception to this is the axe, which is always an axe and destroys more or less everything in it's path.

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

Jimbot posted:

The red eyed guy who kills you with one grab (the one from the previews) and the other boss from the previews is where I'm hitting the wall mainly because if you mess up once you're dead.

I beat that dude by staying close range and just going ham on him. 3-5 swings, dodge, 3-5 swings, dodge, etc. He ends up flinching a bunch when you're super aggressive and it makes the fight shorter so there's less possibility for error.

If you fail to dodge a grab you usually live if you have a full life bar. If he gets you with that throw grab and sends you over a cliff still alive you can grapple back over to him.

Incidentally one of the things I've enjoyed about Sekiro is this pro wrestler ogre dude doing drop kicks and powerbombs and the people's elbow and poo poo.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Can any attack be deflected unless it has the red icon thing? That's the trouble with having bosses that are huge with massive weapons that track you with Dark Souls 2 precision.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Jimbot posted:

Can any attack be deflected unless it has the red icon thing? That's the trouble with having bosses that are huge with massive weapons that track you with Dark Souls 2 precision.

Yes. You only need to read and think about perilous attacks, anything else can be dealt with using deflection or mobility, whatever you feel like is better. Bear in mind that loving up a deflection or blocking something enormous will crush your guard really quickly.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I wish i could fight another, harder chained ogre

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Kilometers Davis posted:

Sekiro is a million times less stressful than the Souls games and quite a bit less stressful than Bloodborne.

my main stress in Bloodborne was needing a bit more checkpoints/shortcuts, how is that in Sekiro? I'm a lazy and often fatigued gamer who needs decent checkpoints so I can stop playing after like a 40 minute session

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

So how long til Sony's Direct?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
March 25

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Someone's gonna have to update this when the new version gets revealed.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

random thought: any reason to make a new PS4 thread? We’re at 2779 pages now. I suppose if the search function still works it serves as a good & accessible resource

Someone could write a new OP or some such but lol who reads those anymore?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The Walrus posted:

I wish i could fight another, harder chained ogre

There better be meaty NG+ because I haven't even finished and I am ACHING to apply my gear and moves to some of those early game motherfuckers.

DLC Inc posted:

my main stress in Bloodborne was needing a bit more checkpoints/shortcuts, how is that in Sekiro? I'm a lazy and often fatigued gamer who needs decent checkpoints so I can stop playing after like a 40 minute session

They're extremely frequent and you'll never feel like you've lost a lot of progress returning to an idol (which will probably never happen outside of you choosing to save some cash/xp from death penalties). I haven't seen a single boss run that's longer than maybe thirty seconds either.

double edit: I'm going to go ahead and say that I think Sekiro is extremely session friendly gaming. You can bash down a troublesome boss or miniboss in an hour or you can progress your exploration fairly significantly. I like the world design a lot, knowing when to stop is actually the hardest part :)

JBP fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Mar 25, 2019

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

If an attack doesn't have a red icon you can literally just hold down block and you'll take no hp damage. Of course depending on how strong it is you may lose a lot of posture if you don't deflect, and eventually your guard will break and you'll take damage. So it's about learning to read enemies and parrying as much as possible, but it's ALSO about acknowledging what attacks are too much trouble to parry and just blocking them. The Wolf is tough, he can take it.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Okay so I was finishing up some Yakuza 0 sidequests before moving onto a different game and how the gently caress is 'soy sauce face' the opposite of 'sauce face'

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Bloodborne didn't feel stressful to me but Sekiro does with how obnoxiously difficult some of these boss fights are. But unless the difficulty jumps the shark completely past this point I'll probably finish it or should I say, be able to finish it. The traversal is so far the best part about this latest iteration. Jumping around huge rear end Japanese castles is dope, yo.

And this is probably a controversial opinion but I would be 100% more satisfied if all the oponents were humans with swords or similar. So far all the battles I actually enjoyed were all those. Maybe Nioh 2 or Ghost of Tsushima will scratch that itch more for me. Just hoping they won't get overshadowed too hard by Sekiro.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

random thought: any reason to make a new PS4 thread? We’re at 2779 pages now. I suppose if the search function still works it serves as a good & accessible resource

Someone could write a new OP or some such but lol who reads those anymore?

I don’t see the appeal of a single general topic billion page swamp that drags for centuries so yay from me

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Wolfsheim posted:

Okay so I was finishing up some Yakuza 0 sidequests before moving onto a different game and how the gently caress is 'soy sauce face' the opposite of 'sauce face'

I think it's comparing ketchup and soy sauce. So one's thick and bold and the other is thin and flat? I think it's basically saying westerners have much more prominent noses and other facial features than the Japanese. Least that's what I got when I looked it up similarly confused playing Y0.

It's a weird old kinda racist saying that is awkward and old fashioned even in Japanese.

A Sometimes Food fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Mar 25, 2019

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

veni veni veni posted:

It’s gonna be a polarizing game for sure. Moreso than bloodborne because it’s a much bigger departure from Souls. It’ll probably be some people’s favorite game and a lot of people are gonna bounce off it because frankly it can feel pretty brutal and you can’t just co-op to make it easier.

Personally I’m loving it, but I do find souls/BB more thematically appealing and the dense exploration is the main thing I dig. At this point I don’t think it’ll be quite up there with bloodborne or Souls for me personally but I still think it’s great and I’m glad they tried something new. I’m still fearing I will hit a point where there is a boss I just flat out can’t beat but that hasn’t happened yet.

Doesn't this game have voiced Cutscenes, no leveling system, a jump button, a grappling hook, no equipment descriptions that tell a story over time you need to go to youtube to piece together

Like I get what people are saying but the only reason people are saying "Souls game" is because From made it

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It has bonfires and Estus

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Quantum of Phallus posted:

It has bonfires and Estus

DMC5 has bonfires.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
Fast travel checkpoints and health potions.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Doesn't this game have voiced Cutscenes, no leveling system, a jump button, a grappling hook, no equipment descriptions that tell a story over time you need to go to youtube to piece together

Like I get what people are saying but the only reason people are saying "Souls game" is because From made it

It doesn't have leveling specifically but it has progression tied to gathering experience. It has item descriptions that expose more of the story. The only thing that I would say strictly differs from "classic" Souls-type game is much enhanced verticality and a different combat system that, instead of being built around stamina, is built around posture and ways of damaging it. The other notable difference is no equipment drops.

I would say it's more like a spiritual sequel but even then it's not hard to see and feel like you're playing a Souls game despite all that. And it absolutely has everything to do with the fact that it's made by From. There's all kinds of little details that immediately expose them as the dev behind the game.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Jimbot posted:

the deflect window is deceptively generous, press it a little before the attack hits you instead of trying to press the button the instant you get hit, that way even if you fail to get the deflect you’ll still block the attack instead of getting hit.
if an enemy has a really fast attack their sword will flash white, press L1 as soon as you see it (or O if it’s a thrusting kanji attack) and you’ll get the deflect (or counter if it’s blah blah blah)
don’t be afraid when you see a new enemy to run away from their attacks instead of going for deflects so that you can observe their patterns from far away.
the game has a steep learning curve but once you get a grasp on all the mechanics it’s incredibly smooth and satisfying

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Wolfsheim posted:

Oh my God I just came here to post this. Actually, I think it's 'sauce face' that makes no loving sense.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Sekiro is at least as much of a Souls game as Bloodborne.

It’s like there’s a camp of people who don’t consider Nioh and The Surge to be Souls-likes and then there’s a camp of people whose brains work correctly and can clearly see the multiple, obvious mechanics either mirrored or lifted wholesale.

Sekiro has the same enemy spawn mechanics, bonfires, Estus, mist gates... and on and on. Saying it’s not a Souls game is being purposely obtuse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

lordfrikk posted:

Bloodborne didn't feel stressful to me but Sekiro does with how obnoxiously difficult some of these boss fights are. But unless the difficulty jumps the shark completely past this point I'll probably finish it or should I say, be able to finish it. The traversal is so far the best part about this latest iteration. Jumping around huge rear end Japanese castles is dope, yo.

And this is probably a controversial opinion but I would be 100% more satisfied if all the oponents were humans with swords or similar. So far all the battles I actually enjoyed were all those. Maybe Nioh 2 or Ghost of Tsushima will scratch that itch more for me. Just hoping they won't get overshadowed too hard by Sekiro.

Honestly anyone that has the dedication and is willing to understand the game mechanics and get past the first 25% of the game (to the top of the castle tower) can finish the rest of the game.