Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Another review I read said that you can't cut down the bamboo. That represents a massive laps of judgment that couldn't Not appear in the rest of the game.

I'll buy it later when it's cheap or something I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

This could get emotional...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POFPMwhedS4

I usually agree with easy allies reviews and they are mostly positive on it, main complaints that stealth is too easy because the stealth AI is dumb and your tools are pretty OP, both of which don't bother me.

Looking forward to playing on Fri

Avicus
Aug 31, 2007
Gentleman Bastard
Grimey Drawer
I'm going to pass on sushi. I've still got FF7, Judgment and Sekiro to finish (+ too many PSVR games).

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It's probably a bad idea to play Tsushima immediately after Sekiro anyway, unless they absolutely nailed the combat

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’m looking forward to an intentionally slower and more deliberate swordplay than Sekiro. I love that game’s combat, but you have to be totally plugged in, sitting forward in your seat, your mind humming with the electric rhythm of GAMING, in order to perform.

Sushi Ghost looks more like a game I can just sort of... play

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
just started TLG. I like it so far but man these controls are goin to take some getting used to.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

bows1 posted:

just started TLG. I like it so far but man these controls are goin to take some getting used to.

Ive been playing it for 2 days and they still suck outloud. I will buy the inevitable bluepoint PS5 rerelease but this game is held together with chewing gum and string

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

this game is held together with chewing gum and string

And yet... it's still got more imagination and love in it than 90% of other games!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

They should have made Infamous 4 instead

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Actually it sounds good!

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
As long as the combat and traversal are fun I don't mind an open world collect-a-thon.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

My homie liked it.

https://youtu.be/Tr7A-M3LFQY

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

Your land has been invaded by the Mongols and there’s only one way to reclaim it: war crimes.

I'm starting to run out of games to play that DON'T involve war crimes

e: I'm not going to play this one but still

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jul 14, 2020

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
yeah if it feels better than an AssCreed Im going to play the hell out of it. I like open world games if they are made well as this seems to be.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

quote:

Insta-fail stealth missions? Yep. Tail a man at a certain distance? You bet. A bit where you’re stripped of all your gear and you have to use the barebones stealth? Of course. Red barrels you can ignite with arrows? drat straight. Missions where you can walk slightly out of bounds and trigger a game over? Yeppers

Going to sit Tsushima out. I still haven't played H:ZD so I'll do that instead.

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

This could get emotional...

One thing I read said the combat was more refined than AC combat, and compared it to Tenchu/Onimusha.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Ghost of Tsushima looks tepid and humdrum, i can't think of anything less exciting about videogames in 2020 than yet another third person open world game with icons on a map, its just dull

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

RBA Starblade posted:

I'm starting to run out of games to play that DON'T involve war crimes

e: I'm not going to play this one but still

This seems like a dumb pseudo-woke gripe from the reviewer considering Mongols hurled plague corpses into the walled cities of Cirmea when they were laying siege to them. One of the reasons lots of these European or Japanese cities got curbstomped is because they were operating under lots of outmoded conceptions of honor or fair play while the Mongols were like "lol". One of the things that was appealing about GoT was the protag realizing that approach to fighting the Mongols was stupid and suicidal.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Bad Parenting posted:

main complaints that stealth is too easy because the stealth AI is dumb

This is just a complaint that should be levelled at all games that feature stealth though, AI is always too stupid for it to be even worth featuring as gameplay. It's the same dumb, bullshit loop which you may have to switch up slightly for a different enemy. Pretty much all of them will forget about seeing you 30 seconds later though.

Stealth sucks because having decent AI would make stealth virtually impossible meaning you'd be restarting levels constantly thus it's dumbed down and buttpoop in everything.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Only positive things to say about my Last of Us 2 experience so far. The sound design is so unbelievably crisp, best I've heard since Red Dead 2.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Kull the Conqueror posted:

Only positive things to say about my Last of Us 2 experience so far. The sound design is so unbelievably crisp, best I've heard since Red Dead 2.

The sounds when you're tinkering around at a workbench :kiss:

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Someone was asking if Ghosts treated the mongols as actual people and the answer seems to be no:

"The biggest flaw of the story is that besides the Khan the Mogols are totally anonymous. There are no other Mogol characters and you might as well be fighting robots because they’re just mindless aggressive enemies."

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Megasabin posted:

Someone was asking if Ghosts treated the mongols as actual people and the answer seems to be no:

"The biggest flaw of the story is that besides the Khan the Mogols are totally anonymous. There are no other Mogol characters and you might as well be fighting robots because they’re just mindless aggressive enemies."

Looks like I'm waiting until it's $20 or less.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
stuff that sounds cool-
    game built around the lack of a minimap and compass. this is a major issue i have with modern games, it's not just aout ui obscuring the screen, it's how we interact with the entire game. subconsciously we learn to pay attention only to markers and shiny bits.

some abilities have to be learned from specific individuals. can't magically self learn techniques (...except for the ones in your skill tree)

related to the above, it sounds like every side quest or activity comes with some kind of unique reward besides xp. there's a fair bit of variety in the side stuff (haiku writing) and apparently there's tons of cosmetics.

bad-
    self serious story

on normal, combat's trivial

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

So is there a lethal difficulty I can gently caress around in ala Bushido Blade and Way of the Samurai?

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

Ghost of Tsushima is sitting at 84 on Metacritic and OpenCritic, which is very solid. I'm looking forward to playing it on Friday!

https://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/ghost-of-tsushima

https://opencritic.com/game/9592/ghost-of-tsushima

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Tsushima reviews were good enough for me to buy it. Apparently it’s still fun to play even if it relies too much on typical open world trappings, and the island sounds gorgeous. Seeing good things about the characters, too.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

bows1 posted:

They do but it can be done, my second playthrough was frustration free. You just have to accept that the game values realistic animation over responsive controls, it's like the opposite of Mario.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Rinkles posted:

stuff that sounds cool-
    game built around the lack of a minimap and compass. this is a major issue i have with modern games, it's not just aout ui obscuring the screen, it's how we interact with the entire game. subconsciously we learn to pay attention only to markers and shiny bits.

some abilities have to be learned from specific individuals. can't magically self learn techniques (...except for the ones in your skill tree)

related to the above, it sounds like every side quest or activity comes with some kind of unique reward besides xp. there's a fair bit of variety in the side stuff (haiku writing) and apparently there's tons of cosmetics.

bad-
    self serious story

on normal, combat's trivial

I'll take less demanding combat as an option. Sekiro is fine, but not everything needs to be built around that Cruel Tutelage of Miyazaki style gameplay.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Bust Rodd posted:

I’m looking forward to an intentionally slower and more deliberate swordplay than Sekiro. I love that game’s combat, but you have to be totally plugged in, sitting forward in your seat, your mind humming with the electric rhythm of GAMING, in order to perform.

Yeah I get what you mean. Sekiro is one of my favorite games ever but you better be in the mood to TRY. The game was good enough that I bothered trying bosses for an hour before I beat them, most games I’d just think gently caress this and turn it off

Tsushima looks nice for the turn your brain off run around open world talking to foxes stuff. Like I still load up Spider-Man and web around the world for 30 mins sometimes.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

mysterious frankie posted:

I'll take less demanding combat as an option. Sekiro is fine, but not everything needs to be built around that Cruel Tutelage of Miyazaki style gameplay.

miyazaki kicks in your door and hurls a rock at your head

"hesitation is defeat!"

Avicus
Aug 31, 2007
Gentleman Bastard
Grimey Drawer

Oxxidation posted:

"hesitation is defeat!"

He's all I have left to beat now. I'm prepared to die a lot.

(Isshin, not Miyazaki)

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Not every game needs to be a ball buster. Tsushima sounds chill and fun

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah. Sekiro has great combat but it's also probably the most demanding game I've ever played in what it expects from the player. Not every game needs to be that, so I don't get why so many people seem to feel the need to compare the two. I don't see anyone expecting the same thing from like, The Witcher or Skyrim as Dark Souls despite thematic similarities.

Still on the fence on GOT tbh. Combat looks fun to me and the world looks very pretty, but I don't know if I'm excited enough to get it now or if I'll just wait for a sale in a few months. Just got back into Nioh 2 after finishing TLOU2 so I should probably finish that first.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Sekiro is IMO too demanding, there's no room for flexibility or experimentation. You beat the fight as intended or you get destroyed and there's very little available to tweak the playing field, other then the occasional one premade weakness to a certain tool.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Oxxidation posted:

miyazaki kicks in your door and hurls a rock at your head

"hesitation is defeat!"

*watches me rush into a really bad decision*

MIYAZAKI:...well, that's defeat too.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I keep reading GOT as game of thrones and getting really confused

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Man, getting the grenade launcher in TR Rising is a real "I have a machine gun hohoho" moment. Like there's all these set pieces where the game wants to do, like a portion where you should be emerging from ice holes to pull guards into the water, but ya know, grenade launcher. It doesn't help that ammo is plentiful and easy to craft on the fly

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Olympic Mathlete posted:

This is just a complaint that should be levelled at all games that feature stealth though, AI is always too stupid for it to be even worth featuring as gameplay. It's the same dumb, bullshit loop which you may have to switch up slightly for a different enemy. Pretty much all of them will forget about seeing you 30 seconds later though.

Stealth sucks because having decent AI would make stealth virtually impossible meaning you'd be restarting levels constantly thus it's dumbed down and buttpoop in everything.

It felt especially jarring in TLOU2. Most everything else is so well done, yet there's still some arbitrary "notice an entire human being's shape pretty obviously moving through some knee-high grass" meter above their heads, giving you well over a second before that person even thinks about checking things out. If that can be tuned to be less video gamey, I'd like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Policenaut posted:

So is there a lethal difficulty I can gently caress around in ala Bushido Blade and Way of the Samurai?

I don’t think so but the review I watched said that the higher difficulty you go the more the enemies will attack together and on the hardest they are relentless.