Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
How come nobody is talking about Ubisoft’s new entry into the hot up and coming battle royals market HyperScape? Are you not the cool kids?

Actually I tried it out over lunch, and since I never really played any other BR game, it seemed kind of fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Not sure if I want to get Avengers now. I saw some comparison to the PS4 Pro (Which I don't have) and it is noticeably better. And then it's supposed to get that PS5 version , and Spider Man won't even be in it until 2021.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Yeah I've pretty much resigned myself to the idea that if I ever want to try Avengers I'll just wait for the PS5 version after Spider-Man comes out. The only real reason I'm even remotely excited for the game is because of Spidey and if he ain't there I ain't there either.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

You could just get the PS4 version and upgrade to PS5 version for free. That's what a lot of people I know are doing.

https://blog.playstation.com/2020/06/22/marvels-avengers-confirmed-as-free-upgrade-to-ps5/

Astro7x posted:

Not sure if I want to get Avengers now. I saw some comparison to the PS4 Pro (Which I don't have) and it is noticeably better. And then it's supposed to get that PS5 version , and Spider Man won't even be in it until 2021.

Also I have a Batman Arkham Knight PS4 and Avengers had no issues on it. Well one cutscene had a weird issue where Kamala just kind of slid in next to Hulk as if she was on skates but it was kind of hilarious.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Aug 12, 2020

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
Actually, is there a The Last of Us thread anymore? Or was it closed like every other TLoU discussion on the internet for being too toxic? I feel like I need to talk about what just happened.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
We have two threads and a discord, it’s ok child you are safe.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3927582&perpage=40&noseen=1&pagenumber=80

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

ThermoPhysical posted:

You could just get the PS4 version and upgrade to PS5 version for free. That's what a lot of people I know are doing.

https://blog.playstation.com/2020/06/22/marvels-avengers-confirmed-as-free-upgrade-to-ps5/

This and the fact they've said they're not charging for new characters/content means I'm probably getting it at release.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Friendly Fire posted:

This and the fact they've said they're not charging for new characters/content means I'm probably getting it at release.

I think Marvel / Disney knows if they start charging for characters, no one will buy this game. But charge for costumes then you can drop like $5 or something on your favorite suit from the comics / movies and get money that way.

Though they also have plans for multiple years of this one game, like 2 - 3 or something like that. Suddenly the codes and costumes for Virgin Media, Verizon, and 5Gum all make sense. Plus it makes even more sense to go with Square Enix...they're no strangers to milking the gently caress out of promotional stuff like with FFXV... or anything Final Fantasy, really.

I could also see Marvel and Square Enix jumping into the Gameverse stuff from Funko and making pops of the characters different suits.

Oh, and Intel, forgot there's promotions for that too.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Aug 12, 2020

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Lumpy posted:

How come nobody is talking about Ubisoft’s new entry into the hot up and coming battle royals market HyperScape? Are you not the cool kids?

Actually I tried it out over lunch, and since I never really played any other BR game, it seemed kind of fun.

Tons of companies chased that MMO dragon, then MOBAs, now BRs. Easy to tune out I think.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Why on earth would you buy an XseriesX when PS is the world leader in third-person over the shoulder gaming??

Zushio
May 8, 2008

ThermoPhysical posted:

Also I have a Batman Arkham Knight PS4 and Avengers had no issues on it. Well one cutscene had a weird issue where Kamala just kind of slid in next to Hulk as if she was on skates but it was kind of hilarious.

I have the same model and have had basically no issues with anything in any game so far. My fans aren't even particularly loud. It's tricky to find exact information about, but I'm pretty sure its a slightly different hardware revision than later PS Poors. It is certainly handling things better than my friend's launch PS4.

Edit: At one point the wiki entry for PS4 Hardware revisions listed the Arkham Knight PS4 as having a totally different SKU than the one on mine. I also couldn't find my SKU on the list anywhere lol. That may have been updated, can't check my PS4 right now.

Edit Edit: Even the controller that came with it held up better than later ones I bought. The sticks don't really have any drift just a little bit of dead zone and one half of the touchpad sticks a little. I really love the colour too.

Zushio fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Aug 12, 2020

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Necrothatcher posted:

If I was starting FFXIV from scratch how long would it take to get to the good stuff I hear so much about?

As a goon who legit took this undertaking last year, listen.
*slides shades off*
https://ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/wiki/Main_Scenario_Quests
(These are the necessary ones to complete, IIRC, some of them only unlock after certain dungeons, events, levels, or sidequests are completed. )

Don't do this. Don't. Don't do this. It took a long loving time. You will burn out. There are long stretches of this game where you have to deliver pies and talk to gnomes and stuff. You have to play - it's mandatory - the in-between patches they came out with that added only fetch quests in between story patches. Which you have to play.

It's a loving lot. They said they are restructuring the game and honestly the early game needs it bad. It picks up about 40% of the way through, then slows down again. You can distinctly feel when the new expansions start because it's a big jump in quality (the vanilla game and first expansion are painfully boring), but it's not like modern WoW or something where you pass by a tour of past expansions.It's everything. It's a loving lot!!!!

It's 100% worth it in this game to skip to the endgame current content even though it cost money. I'd say watch a video on YT of the relevant stuff, but it's sprinkled so dryly and so sparsely that you'd more have to watch one of those primers where someone is explaining lore articles not included in the game itself to piece everything together and the end story result is not even that exciting. The best stuff is probably the class quests. There are a few really interesting characters that would be at home in an actual single player FF.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Aug 12, 2020

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Don't do that. The joy in something like Shadowbringers, the newest expansion, is that it builds on so much of what came before, in tiny and massive ways. The story is most of the reason I love this game, and every bit of it is going to be meaningless if you skip straight to the newest poo poo.

It's my favorite game that's super difficult to recommend, but it's absolutely worth the time investment. They did, in fact, just redo the 2.X quests to cut a ton of the cruft, and to make things even faster they added flight to the old zones once you clear the base game.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Blind Rasputin posted:

Why on earth would you buy an XseriesX when PS is the world leader in third-person over the shoulder gaming??

I felt insane the other day because I was sitting there looking at all these amazing games im playing and I was thinking "I could go for a really run of the mill, good fps" and realised that I would probably kill for the master chief collection on switch.

then I bought Doom 2, 3 and 64 on switch :pcgaming:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Firstborn posted:

*slides shades off*
(These are the necessary ones to complete, IIRC, some of them only unlock after certain dungeons, events, levels, or sidequests are completed. )

Don't do this. Don't. Don't do this. It took a long loving time. You will burn out. There are long stretches of this game where you have to deliver pies and talk to gnomes and stuff. You have to play - it's mandatory - the in-between patches they came out with that added only fetch quests in between story patches. Which you have to play.

It's a loving lot. They said they are restructuring the game and honestly the early game needs it bad. It picks up about 40% of the way through, then slows down again. You can distinctly feel when the new expansions start because it's a big jump in quality (the vanilla game and first expansion are painfully boring), but it's not like modern WoW or something where you pass by a tour of past expansions.It's everything. It's a loving lot!!!!

It's 100% worth it in this game to skip to the endgame current content even though it cost money. I'd say watch a video on YT of the relevant stuff, but it's sprinkled so dryly and so sparsely that you'd more have to watch one of those primers where someone is explaining lore articles not included in the game itself to piece everything together and the end story result is not even that exciting. The best stuff is probably the class quests. There are a few really interesting characters that would be at home in an actual single player FF.

Ah yes, interesting single player ff characters such as umaro, cait sith, irvine, quina, wakka, vaan, the entire cast of ff13, the entire cast of ff15, etc

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

fridge corn posted:

Ah yes, interesting single player ff characters such as umaro, cait sith, irvine, quina, wakka, vaan, the entire cast of ff13, the entire cast of ff15, etc

god you're tedious

Arist fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Aug 12, 2020

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
:laffo: if you didn't have an Umaro/Mog setup that could solo every dungeon

fridge corn cant even be pedantic right

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

fridge corn posted:

You seem to have shitposted incorrectly and just listed good characters.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

I may have misunderstood the post I was replying to but let my post instead stand as simply a list of bad ff characters

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

kirbysuperstar posted:

You seem to have shitposted incorrectly and just listed good characters.

Lies! Nobody likes Irvine

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
The cast of FF15 kicks rear end except for maybe Gladio

take three tablets
Nov 21, 2005

Hell Gem

Firstborn posted:

*slides shades off*

I would disagree completely. It’s all worth playing through, but it’s a lot. Don’t touch FFXIV unless you have a ton of time and a high tolerance for both MMO and JRPG bullshit. However, if that sounds like you, there’s pretty high odds you’ll get hundreds of hours of enjoyment out of it.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

I think Marvel / Disney knows if they start charging for characters, no one will buy this game. But charge for costumes then you can drop like $5 or something on your favorite suit from the comics / movies and get money that way.

Though they also have plans for multiple years of this one game, like 2 - 3 or something like that. Suddenly the codes and costumes for Virgin Media, Verizon, and 5Gum all make sense. Plus it makes even more sense to go with Square Enix...they're no strangers to milking the gently caress out of promotional stuff like with FFXV... or anything Final Fantasy, really.

I could also see Marvel and Square Enix jumping into the Gameverse stuff from Funko and making pops of the characters different suits.

Oh, and Intel, forgot there's promotions for that too.

Disney were the ones who freaked out on EA about the lootboxes in SW Battlefront 2, so "new characters, free, cosmetics, money" seems like the route they would go.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

fridge corn posted:

did you just talk poo poo on wakka? One of the best characters in the entire series?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Blast from the past:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ir6Av0FU7ZQ

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

fridge corn posted:

Lies! Nobody likes Irvine

He has a Very Human reaction with his big fuckup and uhh..well a shotgun I guess.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Wakka is a horrible racist and even his redemption arc is horrible. He's a bad character in every way.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
Nex Machina is great. It passed me by when it first came out, but I just finished the plat and finally killed the true final boss tonight. It was a whole lot of fun to git gud at.

Now I need to go back and check out some of Housemarque's other stuff. I messed around with Resogun a bit when it came out, but didn't play it a ton. Is its DLC any good?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
I platted Tsushima the other day and finally finished off Final Fantasy 7 Remake, now I'm thinking about trying Horizon: Zero Dawn again.

il serpente cosmico posted:

Now I need to go back and check out some of Housemarque's other stuff. I messed around with Resogun a bit when it came out, but didn't play it a ton. Is its DLC any good?

Yeah, it's a good time.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Wakka is a horrible racist and even his redemption arc is horrible. He's a bad character in every way.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah but he sounds like Bender with an accent and throws balls at people

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

take three tablets posted:

Don’t touch FFXIV unless you have a ton of time and a high tolerance for both MMO and JRPG bullshit.

Thanks for all the responses on this. I think it boils down to that quote above though. I have a loving tonne of games I want to play and not much time to do it in, so I don't want to put hundreds of hours into something I might vaguely enjoy.

However, if I ever end up in a horrible accident and am confined to a bed with just the use of my arms and eyes I will certainly consider playing FFXIV.

Sioux
May 30, 2006

some ghoulish parody of humanity

Necrothatcher posted:

However, if I ever end up in a horrible accident and am confined to a bed with just the use of my arms and eyes

Ahh yes, the dream of any true gamer.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Tbh I dont have much tolerance for mmo and jrpg bullshit but I thought ffxiv was good fun. :shrug:

Might depend on what class you play but I played Bard all the way through and was impressed with how involved the battle system is

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

fridge corn posted:

you talking poo poo about irvine!? umaro? and sazh, fang and lightning? my goddess of death? come at me bro, we're doing this. i cannot take this buffoonery any longer!

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
anyone got the fast and furious game, i am considering buying it full price and playing it until i see credits.

https://twitter.com/dbloodworth2/status/1293481917048733697

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Vikar Jerome posted:

anyone got the fast and furious game, i am considering buying it full price and playing it until i see credits.

christ on a crumpet

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It looks fun but not £50 fun

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

Vikar Jerome posted:

oh noo WAAAGh!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

It looks fun but not £50 fun

holy poo poo you werent kidding, thought shopto would have it cheaper but nope. hahah

its on Low availability too lmao