Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Rad Valtar posted:

The last report early in the year was that the cost to make one was around $450 so it would be really weird to sell it at $600 when they sold the PS4 at a loss initially. I’m guessing they will match Microsoft at $500 for disc and then discless will be either $450 or $400.

I wasn't aware of 450 manufacturing costs. I could definitely be wrong then. I'm really surprised it's actually that low.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

BitBasher posted:

I wasn't aware of 450 manufacturing costs. I could definitely be wrong then. I'm really surprised it's actually that low.

I take those numbers with a grain of salt. We don't really know the deals they sign with the manufacturers of all the components and the factories where the consoles get assembled. You also have to factor in the R&D costs that go into the console and even the marketing.

The bottom line is that the bean counters figure out how much of a loss they're willing to take on each unit (or what they want the profit margin to be) and set the price accordingly. Saying "The parts cost $450 so we'll sell it at $500" is not how it works at all.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

BitBasher posted:

Both consoles this generation are built around basically the same chip on the same node from the same company, so I really doubt Sony's gonna let themselves get undercut on equivalent SKUs.

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

This could get emotional...

lunar detritus posted:

Isn't the same as a pc with lower specs? Wouldn't turning down all the graphics to low be enough to keep it from limiting how good multiplatform games can be?

Again, from the 'principle engine programmer at id software'

https://twitter.com/JayDubcity16/status/1304188241852207104

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Does that mean Doom Eternal was significantly held back by the Switch?

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
I think the Series S is going to have problems within a year or two - if you look at the performance of games like Jedi Fallen Order on the One S you see some insane hangs when it has to pause for a few seconds to load the next area which you don't see on any other platform. But I don't think that's going to compromise games in general, you're just going to have a worse experience on the S.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

morestuff posted:

The Switch port was handled by another party so it's not really the same comparison.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
JFO had that on my Pro too tbh

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

morestuff posted:

we havent even seen gameplay of that yet. probably waiting until switch pro is out...

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I'm still going with $499 regular, $399 digital only

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I'm still going with $499 regular, $399 digital only

I'm guessing its gonna be $449/$349.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

wow i googled it and like half of america already has a 4k tv, loving crazy.

i think my point still stands though, 299 is a good place to be, especially when the market collapses in *checks watch* any loving second now.

It’s a good place to be to make numbers for initial quarterly reports. The console specs are phenomenally bad and will, I am fairly confident saying, cause way more issues than the few frame drops you think will be the sum of impact. This “running at 1440 with 1:1 features and performance parity” claim being made feels like defense lawyer talk; get an engineer to do some napkin math and say “in theory it could work, but...” then cut them off before they can finish that sentence, because the less you know the more confident you can be while saying stupid poo poo in public (example: our posts).

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Hey that Borderlands 3 PS5 thing got confirmed. Free upgrade for PS4 owners, 4K 60FPS, vertical split-screen and local 4-player co-op, a new DLC coming later in the year to expand everyone's skills. DLC and saves carry over and cross-play might be a thing next year.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

Bad Parenting posted:

:yeshaha: :getin:

The CPU is the same on the SSbox as in the others, until devs complain about the lack of RAM impacting gameplay features, as in "we wanted to have better AI or more complex physics but were hogtied by the 8 GB and so did all other versions", I don't give a poo poo about asset quality or RT whatevs (RT will already be half-arsed in consoles anyway).

I can barely tell a 360 game from a PS4 one anyway, just get me a Sandlot EDF game with the typical fully destructible buildings but now with active enemies onscreen reaching well into 4 digit figures running at 20 fps on the SSbox so I can play the PS5 or Xbox X versions at 60 fps tyvm

yay headroom

Storm One fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Sep 12, 2020

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Policenaut posted:

Hey that Borderlands 3 PS5 thing got confirmed. Free upgrade for PS4 owners, 4K 60FPS, vertical split-screen and local 4-player co-op, a new DLC coming later in the year to expand everyone's skills. DLC and saves carry over and cross-play might be a thing next year.
It ran like poo poo on my PS4 Pro

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I dont particularly care about fine details but if you can’t tell the difference between a 360 and PS4 you got some problems

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Bad Parenting posted:

I'm gonna need an example of what they could truly have done.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Has MS claimed that everything that runs on a series X will also run on a Series S for the entire duration of the console generation, or is that just something people are assuming?

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
people are assuming. they are not going all in on xcloud gamepass for nothing. people are forgetting thats their big focus. those late gen series x games will run fine (..well) on a series s. through xcloud.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

veni veni veni posted:

Has MS claimed that everything that runs on a series X will also run on a Series S for the entire duration of the console generation, or is that just something people are assuming?

AFAIK they haven't, and I'm assuming that games are allowed to be Series X only. I'm just unusually optimistic about the prospect of a too-sucessful-to-ignore underspecced model serving as an anchor on multiplatform games and counterbalancing the trend of "let's add even more detail at the expense of performance so it'll look better on screenshots".

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I'm sure Doom 3 will make approved ssds a requirement for the pc version.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Bust Rodd posted:

I really don't have a problem with SONY being the Ferrari of gaming

Sony opening up its preorders to only preferred sony customers very Ferrari-esque

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
My guess is that all games made for series X and PS5 will work on Series S but some will have performance issues.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

I'm gonna need an example of what they could truly have done.

what Microsoft could have done? It's actually really simple. Instead of splitting the RAM into two different speed run all 10 GBs at a slightly lower speed.

Rad Valtar fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Sep 12, 2020

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
I’m like 5 hours into Days Gone and I really wish that I could give this game to the TLOU2 team for like 4 months just to polish it. There are a lot of interesting ideas here but after coming from TLOU2 the seams really show on this one. Floaty guns, weak sound effects, etc. Nothing is likely to save the overly serious story that doesn’t deserve to be but I could look past that if the controls, animations and gameplay were just a little bit tighter. I’m still gonna play it through though because it has legitimately fun moments.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Rad Valtar posted:

My guess is that all games made for series X and PS5 will work on Series S but some will have performance issues.

what Microsoft could have done? It's actually really simple. Instead of splitting the RAM into two different speed run all 10 GBs at a slightly lower speed.

No, what new gameplay features are being held back by the xbox series x.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

veni veni veni posted:

It’d be extra stupid if it wasn’t a guarantee and you end up spending $299 now then, a few years later, spend another, say, $299 for the now reduced price X so you can keep playing games without them making GBS threads the bed and end up spending more overall.

I mean, at least this generation’s mid cycle refresh was an upgrade from the base spec, not to it.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

Rad Valtar posted:

The slower 2GB are almost certainly reserved for the OS and won't be used for games anyway.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Bad Parenting posted:

I'll take the engine dev at id's word over yours I think

Not saying these guys are wrong, but maybe devs will find a way and/or parity isn't always a must or depends on the publishers whims.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

No, what new gameplay features are being held back by the xbox series x.

you probably meant S (gently caress these xbox names) and if so :agreed:

mysterious frankie posted:

at least this generation’s mid cycle refresh was an upgrade from the base spec, not to it.

Hopefully, the de facto base spec now *is* the S.

EDIT: again, did GameCube or Xbox-only owners complain about PS2, an underpowered, different arch from the competition and hard to develop for console being the lowest common denominator? No, if anything they complained about the exclusives not being available on their system, and for the games that were they usually got the better version.

Red Warrior posted:

The slower 2GB are almost certainly reserved for the OS and won't be used for games anyway.
:emptyquote:

Storm One fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Sep 12, 2020

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
SOR4 is decent but I don’t get the “deep” combat system even after watching some YouTube videos. 2 buttons basically and the moves don’t really change even with directional combinations?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

An external ssd turns the load times in Marvel's Avengers into almost nothing... until you have to matchmake with everyone else.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.

Red Warrior posted:

Yeah that’s the issue. It’s already half the speed of the Series X RAM.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

bows1 posted:

SOR4 is decent but I don’t get the “deep” combat system even after watching some YouTube videos. 2 buttons basically

Attack, jump attack, special, jump special, forward special, grab, throw, back attack, star attack, charge attacks. Yep. 2 buttons basically but a lot of variety possible!

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

department store in spain might have leaked the price, or its a placeholder.

its the bottom two, in code names. 499 euros for the disc and 399 for no disc.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.

Vikar Jerome posted:

department store in spain might have leaked the price, or its a placeholder.

its the bottom two, in code names. 499 euros for the disc and 399 for no disc.

I’ll take an enigma please.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

Rad Valtar posted:

Yeah that’s the issue. It’s already half the speed of the Series X RAM.

If most of what you are loading in is textures at 1/2 to 1/4 the size then it should mostly even out.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

I'm sure there's some large retail conspiracy and that Sony has told stores the actual MSRP already and everyone's been really good about keeping the secret.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Thom12255 posted:

I think the Series S is going to have problems within a year or two - if you look at the performance of games like Jedi Fallen Order on the One S you see some insane hangs when it has to pause for a few seconds to load the next area which you don't see on any other platform. But I don't think that's going to compromise games in general, you're just going to have a worse experience on the S.

Fallen Order is a dog's breakfast of hosed texture load and poor optimisation. It fucks up like this on beefmaster PCs.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Fix posted:

I'm sure there's some large retail conspiracy and that Sony has told stores the actual MSRP already and everyone's been really good about keeping the secret.

If by "retail conspiracy" you mean embargo built into the wholesale contract then yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.

Red Warrior posted:

If most of what you are loading in is textures at 1/2 to 1/4 the size then it should mostly even out.

I’m not going to continue this here since the delusions of Xbox owners is already on display in the Xbox threads.