Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I think both Odyssey and Valhalla just run poorly. From what I understand they cause issues on PC even with the best hardware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Valhalla more so than Odyssey. Odyssey ran smoothly on my (currently) pretty outdated PC - I've got a motherboard and CPU so old, they don't even sell them anymore. Valhalla is just overall buggy and badly optimized. It's one of the worst Ubisoft games in recent memory in that regard.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Odyssey generally runs fine on PC despite being more CPU-intensive than most. Valhalla is probably the single buggiest game I've ever played on release. I crashed to desktop at least 50 times over the past week just trying to finish the stupid game.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

twistedmentat posted:

Okay, other than getting a disk system, I can pretty much go straight from ps4 to ps5.

I'd think some of the bigger games won't have those weird coding tricks.

Because I am pretty sure cyberpunk would melt my computer and probably make my ps4 fan spin faster than the speed of light, I think I might treat myself with Yakuza like a dragon.

There are literally only nine games that don’t work

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

better luck next time Afro Samurai fans!

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Augus posted:

if you adored the experience of running around the map cleaning up question marks in Witcher 3 and stabbing one wolf in the rear end for an hour because you're too stubborn to lower the difficulty but wished it had less of that "good writing" getting in the way then Odyssey is the game for you

This is uncharitable but I would say if you're coming from Witcher 3 to definitely lower your expectations in terms of writing/narrative/choice/etc. Think less 'investigating this murder uncovered the town's dark secret' and more
'kill 10 wolves for farmer'.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Wolfsheim posted:

Think less 'investigating this murder uncovered the town's dark secret' and more
'kill 10 wolves for farmer'.

I can’t do games with these kinds of quests. I see a number in a quest description and I have to stop. I just can’t stand that sort of MMO style play.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

That’s basically why Ubisoft games are so dull in a nutshell. The activities aren’t wildly different from something like the Witcher or red dead but the context makes it feel like crossing off a checklist vs having and adventure.

That type of game also seems to be extremely low on enemy types. In Tw3 there’s all sorts of baddies and monsters. You play an ubi game and it’s all various stages of the same mooks the whole time and maybe a bear once in a while.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

There's a farting boar in Odyssey.
It's the toughest enemy in the game.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Hahahaha that's pretty much the end of Mass Effect.

https://kotaku.com/bioware-studio-head-dragon-age-producer-both-leave-stu-1845802859

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The end of BioWare IMO , they haven’t had a good game in nearly a decade and are coming off one of the biggest stinkers in recent memory. I’d imagine they’ll go the way of many EA-devoured studios soon enough.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

They could just take all the characters from ME:A and make them wizards and say it’s Dragon Age 4 and probably no one would notice.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I sometimes stare at my PS3 copy of Dragon Age Origins and think of how much fun I had with it. It came with the Awakenings expansion and I swear I played that thing for like a hundred hours. The way each different race had a totally different opening level was soooo cool and you rarely see it in RPGs these days. I know Cyberpunk will have three different starts, that’s really cool.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

veni veni veni posted:

That’s basically why Ubisoft games are so dull in a nutshell. The activities aren’t wildly different from something like the Witcher or red dead but the context makes it feel like crossing off a checklist vs having and adventure.

That type of game also seems to be extremely low on enemy types. In Tw3 there’s all sorts of baddies and monsters. You play an ubi game and it’s all various stages of the same mooks the whole time and maybe a bear once in a while.

Kassandra's a pretty good lead, and there are lots of great characters, but it's all stretched too thin. Like I said, it'd make a hell of a 30 hour game, but it's not that.

For people that can handle the open world bloat, though, I'd still recommend it. It's a game I really want to love in spite of itself.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

As far as I'm concerned all I want is that mass effect legendary collection. Bioware will have to prove they're worthy by releasing a game that's actually well reviewed and loved by many. Otherwise I will pass on any future projects.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I sometimes stare at my PS3 copy of Dragon Age Origins and think of how much fun I had with it. It came with the Awakenings expansion and I swear I played that thing for like a hundred hours. The way each different race had a totally different opening level was soooo cool and you rarely see it in RPGs these days. I know Cyberpunk will have three different starts, that’s really cool.

Alternative starts dependent on race/class is really cool I wish it happened more, it’s rad that cyberpunk will have it. I had a mod for skyrim that did a similar thing (orc starts at orc town, mage character gets off the boat near magetown, rando adventurer wakes up in a cabin in the woods) and it really improved my time with it.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Rinkles posted:

Kassandra's a pretty good lead, and there are lots of great characters, but it's all stretched too thin. Like I said, it'd make a hell of a 30 hour game, but it's not that.

For people that can handle the open world bloat, though, I'd still recommend it. It's a game I really want to love in spite of itself.

I have no problem with bloat. I did drat near 200 hours in this game.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Some people just have a much higher tolerance for that stuff. I'm the type of person that will play something like Spider man and do 15-20% of the extra side stuff, play the main story and quit. If side content in a game feels inspired and piques my curiosity I'll go all in on it, but if it's a bunch of little distractions to pad out play time I'll just avoid them, and the game makes them required I'll just shelf the game. There's too much stuff out there to play to spend my time finding backpacks.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
My own tolerance tends to peter out in direct proportion to how many new interesting abilities and game mechanics the game keeps giving me. I don't mind having a big world to gently caress around in, so long as it keeps giving me new cool things to do (and to do to the world). Odyssey is a bit... mediocre in that regard. There isn't anything that is quite as fun as releasing a biological weapon in the streets of Alexandria and watching people keel over by the literal truckload.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Mr Snips posted:

I started playing odyssey again recently after getting burnt out long before I finished the story a year ago, and I forgot how loud it makes my PS4s fans go. I don't have any other games that make it run that loud
CoD Cold War makes my PS4 Pro's fan rev up so much and get so loving loud. Like I don't need a PS5 because I already have a couple of the games available for it on PS4, but it sure would be nice to have since it runs quieter.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

veni veni veni posted:

Some people just have a much higher tolerance for that stuff. I'm the type of person that will play something like Spider man and do 15-20% of the extra side stuff, play the main story and quit. If side content in a game feels inspired and piques my curiosity I'll go all in on it, but if it's a bunch of little distractions to pad out play time I'll just avoid them, and the game makes them required I'll just shelf the game. There's too much stuff out there to play to spend my time finding backpacks.
Back when open world games were new I loved looking for all that stuff just for its own sake, but it’s been staple of the genre for so long it’s just transparent padding unless it’s a very small number of them and they are very cleverly hidden.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

It's more fun to look for collectables on a GTA3 sized map rather than a GTAV one.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I think it’s only padding if there aren’t meaningful rewards. I happily hunted down every spray tag or precursor egg because those unlocked powerful weapons that persisted and changed the way you could play. Nowadays Assassin’s Creed is like “go find 300 feathers for a silver achievement and a brown cape with no stats”

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I only enjoy collectable hunting in games with enjoyable movement. Stuff like Spider-Man or Batman make it a lot easier for me to go collectable hunting because I enjoy getting around the city. Anything that makes me groan at the idea of even trying is a no-go.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

It's more fun to look for collectables on a GTA3 sized map rather than a GTAV one.

Man, it's wild to look at the San Andreas map without distance fog and realise how close together everything is

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

ImpAtom posted:

I only enjoy collectable hunting in games with enjoyable movement. Stuff like Spider-Man or Batman make it a lot easier for me to go collectable hunting because I enjoy getting around the city. Anything that makes me groan at the idea of even trying is a no-go.

sixty hours into odyssey, i was praying for a late game/dlc animus hack that would let me do infamous: second son style wall running or a pegasus that i knew wouldn't come

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Yeah it was cool when Bioware made unique stuff instead of chasing trends and hitting them years after everyone has moved on.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Cardiovorax posted:

My own tolerance tends to peter out in direct proportion to how many new interesting abilities and game mechanics the game keeps giving me. I don't mind having a big world to gently caress around in, so long as it keeps giving me new cool things to do (and to do to the world). Odyssey is a bit... mediocre in that regard. There isn't anything that is quite as fun as releasing a biological weapon in the streets of Alexandria and watching people keel over by the literal truckload.

This is more or less where I am as well. Interest in Odyssey and Valhalla both fell off precipitously once I had all the cool abilities I wanted.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Failboattootoot posted:

This is more or less where I am as well. Interest in Odyssey and Valhalla both fell off precipitously once I had all the cool abilities I wanted.

More broadly on the same topic, I gave Agents of Mayhem an honest go because I picked it up for like :10bux: and my interest fell off a cliff immediately once I realized I'd seen literally everything the game had to offer after the tutorial.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

More broadly on the same topic, I gave Agents of Mayhem an honest go because I picked it up for like :10bux: and my interest fell off a cliff immediately once I realized I'd seen literally everything the game had to offer after the tutorial.

Haha I'm pretty sure I got that game for free and I played it for about an hour before giving up.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Same, although I think I didn't even make it an hour before deleting it and never looking back.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Hope everyone has a good weekend :)
What's everyone playing?
I've been going through Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay (WHAT a cool title for a game) on the OG Xbox. It's one of my favourite games ever, the voice acting in it is A+. It's really interesting seeing the DNA of what would later appear in the new Wolfenstein games.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

What's everyone playing?
I've been going through Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay (WHAT a cool title for a game) on the OG Xbox. It's one of my favourite games ever, the voice acting in it is A+. It's really interesting seeing the DNA of what would later appear in the new Wolfenstein games.

knack, on ps5. been too busy to really play anything all week so its go time baby

also usf4, bloodborne, vf2, garou: mark of wolves, dark souls. maybe miles.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Vikar Jerome posted:

knack, on ps5

:eyepop:

reminds me of when I did work experience in a law firm and the dude there bought a €3,000 Dell XPS to check his emails

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
The blast processing on those @ symbols must have been psychedelic!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

He was probably younger than I am now, had a sports car and wanted 16 year old me to start the car (I did not have any sort of license) and maybe drive him to court where he was contesting a charge because he had a driving ban.
looking back it was pretty wild haha

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

What's everyone playing?

Started playing Doom Eternal on PC last night, holy crap the soundtrack is awesome!!! The gameplay is pretty fun, but I had to knock the difficulty down to easy just to enjoy it more. I was playing on normal (Hurt Me Plenty), and was just constantly on the edge of dying. My old man reflexes aren't what they use to be I guess.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

BisterdDave posted:

Started playing Doom Eternal on PC last night, holy crap the soundtrack is awesome!!! The gameplay is pretty fun, but I had to knock the difficulty down to easy just to enjoy it more. I was playing on normal (Hurt Me Plenty), and was just constantly on the edge of dying. My old man reflexes aren't what they use to be I guess.

The music is soooo good. I started playing Eternal on Nightmare and then by the end I was just on easy mode, it’s so difficult.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I'm currently playing Siralim 3, which I got for PC during the recent sale. It's a series of games that is basically ultra-complex roguelike Pokemon on crack, with more of just everything - RPG mechanics, light base building, random dungeons, crossbreeding, item crafting, equippable spells for your monsters, monster traits that synergize across your entire team... you name it, it has it. It's available for the PS4 as well and I thoroughly recommend it if you enjoy that style of game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

What's everyone playing?

I will be trudging through the checklist of activities in Spider-Man, maybe finishing Bugsnax (!!!!!!!!) I think I'm near the end, maybe a little fifa or maybe get back into outer wilds.. lots to choose from!