Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Morby posted:

FF7 Remake will be a launch title for PS5 in 2020.
You're being too optimistic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Real hurthling! posted:

if ps4 library doesn't totally carry over i think they are very stupid. they got their do over and benefited hugely from xbox following suit in 2013, a mistake they realized and have clawed back but only after people sold entire collections and moved over, but to do it again would be a disaster.

if they do it i'll say the same thing then as in this post. i can't see it happening now but it'll be a shame.

Why do backwards compatibility when they can just make HD/4k ports next generation and resell people the same game?

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

You're being too optimistic.

FF7 Remake will be released with FF7 vs FFXVI on PS6 in 2025.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

katkillad2 posted:

Why do backwards compatibility when they can just make HD/4k ports next generation and resell people the same game?

Because it leaves them wide open to a competitor swooping in, like Sony did with Xbox 360 owners. If Sony's next console is backwards compatible, it's a straightforward decision to upgrade to it. If it isn't backwards compatible, maybe I'll take a look at the competition since I'm losing my library anyway.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i really think people overstate the appeal of backwards compatibility, there was probably a bigger uproar about taking the other os out of the ps3 and i genuinely dont think anyone bought an xbonx over a ps4 or switch because of it.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

katkillad2 posted:

This is me immediate thought too. For better or worse (worse)this gen publishers realized that name recognition sells and that its was easier to remake a thing the do a sequel.

See Shadow of the Collasis remake thrilling the hell out of everyone at E3. Gamers have shown publishers that we are happy as a clam buying the same content over and over. Its a huge incentive NOT to do backwards capatability.

Motherfuckers still buying Sky-loving-rim

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

rabidsquid posted:

i really think people overstate the appeal of backwards compatibility, there was probably a bigger uproar about taking the other os out of the ps3 and i genuinely dont think anyone bought an xbonx over a ps4 or switch because of it.

It's a nice feature, but it's not a dealbreaker for me one way or the other. I usually keep my consoles anyway.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

acksplode posted:

Because it leaves them wide open to a competitor swooping in, like Sony did with Xbox 360 owners. If Sony's next console is backwards compatible, it's a straightforward decision to upgrade to it. If it isn't backwards compatible, maybe I'll take a look at the competition since I'm losing my library anyway.

This is exactly what I did before this gen. And then Xbone had always online ridiculousness and wanted an always on Mic and camera in my room. Do they still even make Kinect games or have Kinect functionality? Soured me on the whole thing.

Sony could easily do the same thing.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

rabidsquid posted:

Xbone BC was too little and too late for it to impact the purchase decisions of early adopters. But if the Xbone played most 360 games at launch, I might have considered it over a PS4. I mained 360 last gen, so I wasn't looking forward to buying a new library and setting up a new friends list and stuff.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Morby posted:

FF7 Remake will be a launch title for PS5 in 2020.

Day 1.

Real hurthling! posted:

Part 0 prologue maybe.

First reactor run then credits

Day 1.

rabidsquid posted:

Backwards compatibility doesn't really matter if you have a system-seller (Soul Calibur, Halo 1, Uncharted 2), but it sure helps when your game library sucks, or has no clear draw.

The other option is INDIES wevegotINDIES!!!

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jun 26, 2017

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

acksplode posted:

Xbone BC was too little and too late for it to impact the purchase decisions of early adopters. But if the Xbone played most 360 games at launch, I might have considered it over a PS4. I mained 360 last gen, so I wasn't looking forward to buying a new library and setting up a new friends list and stuff.

i guess i dont understand how this is fundamentally different from buying a ps4 and continuing to play your 360, and dont see why it would incentivize you to buy an x zone.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Backwards compatibility doesn't really matter if you have a system-seller (Soul Calibur, Halo 1, Uncharted 2), but it sure helps when your game library sucks, or has no clear draw.

The other option is INDIES wevegotINDIES!!!

okay i do have to say that during that period where the only rpgs on xbox 360 / ps3 were that insanely bad game enchanted arms and the last odyssey that being able to play ps2 rpgs was really nice on the ps3. that rpg drought was bad.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

It matters at launch imo

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I literally rebuy games on ps4 that I own on 360 because I'm a lazy gently caress. My 360 is right next to my ps4.

Part of it is that I really like the DS4 over the 360 controller now.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

rabidsquid posted:

i guess i dont understand how this is fundamentally different from buying a ps4 and continuing to play your 360, and dont see why it would incentivize you to buy an x zone.

I don't like to keep a pile of consoles around, especially one from last gen that I'm not playing much but keeping around just in case I might play something on it. My media cabinet really only has room for two consoles, three at a stretch, at that should be more than enough.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Trine 2 and all DLC for $3 (digital code)

https://www.amazon.com/Trine-Complete-Story-Digital-Code/dp/B00GMPJKDA?tag=slickappfp-20&ascsubtag=691463a65ab211e7ae3c0640c0794e280INT

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I hate having to keep my PS3 around but I play Demon's Souls, Deadly Premonition and Buzz not infrequently, as well as Fifa 14 with my GF who just got a PS3. I'd kill for a PS4 with BC because the PS3 is such a loving awkwardly designed console, it's huge and you can't sit anything else on top of it.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i cant go back to the ps3 because everything is so miserably slow. i cant believe the tiny amount of memory they dedicated to the ui didnt entirely kill it last generation, the updates they did to all of that must have been herculean.

remember when the store on the ps3 was just a web browser that went to the playstation website. remember when you couldnt go to the dashboard if you were in a game without quitting the game

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

rabidsquid posted:

i cant go back to the ps3 because everything is so miserably slow. i cant believe the tiny amount of memory they dedicated to the ui didnt entirely kill it last generation, the updates they did to all of that must have been herculean.

remember when the store on the ps3 was just a web browser that went to the playstation website. remember when you couldnt go to the dashboard if you were in a game without quitting the game

the store is SHOCKINGLY slow these days. you're talking minutes just to load the UI . loving garbage.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Quantum of Phallus posted:

the store is SHOCKINGLY slow these days. you're talking minutes just to load the UI . loving garbage.

Yeah its insane. I dont know why they dont make it a streamlined page. Its terrible.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
I'd buy more games on my PS4 if there was guaranteed backwards compatibility for the next sony console whenever it comes.

As is, I only buy 'this will never come out of sony consoles' games. Everything else I get on PC :shobon:

(And if Sony didn't block all my credit cards for whatever reason. Needing to buy psn cards at the mall shuts down any drunken/impulsive buy)

Miss Mowcher fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jun 26, 2017

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

The website store is even worse. Who trough a website in 2017 need a loading animation? somebody at Sony.

https://store.playstation.com/

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Tei posted:

The website store is even worse. Who trough a website in 2017 need a loading animation? somebody at Sony.

https://store.playstation.com/

The loading animation is to give Sony time to turn the server on.

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The loading animation is to give Sony time to turn the server on.

It gives me time to run down to the massive human-sized hamster wheel that powers the Store and start panting and wheezing my way through your transaction. If it fails, you know I've fallen out of the wheel and have broken my ankle or something. (It's also checking all your entitlements so you don't end up re-buying a game you already own.)

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

are there any current plans to make the psn store not terrible?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

SamBishop posted:

It gives me time to run down to the massive human-sized hamster wheel that powers the Store and start panting and wheezing my way through your transaction. If it fails, you know I've fallen out of the wheel and have broken my ankle or something. (It's also checking all your entitlements so you don't end up re-buying a game you already own.)

I've seen your trophy list, you need the exercise.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Awesome! posted:

are there any current plans to make the psn store not terrible?

yes. its in a file marked "do not do until forced to" along with name changes

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I still find myself intrigued by Elite Dangerous. It may turn out to not be a game for me. I guess I need to find a good youtube that shows sort of an overview of the gameplay loop. I am presently playing pick up and play games like Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and ARMS, which are great, but are in the other room. I'd love an "I'm playing something a bit more involved while I sit at my desk with m PS4 next to my work computer but I find myself wondering if Elite Dangerous is just too "boring" for me. (I say that in quotes because clearly it is a good game, it's not you, it's me, etc...)

Off to try and find a good video or a writeup, I suppose.

[edit] Oh poo poo, it's only 29.99? Why? Not as much game? Just my good luck?

Funnily enough, the 29.99 version claims to be out at midnight EST.
The bundle for 59.99 claims to be out at 11 am EST tomorrow.

Feenix fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jun 27, 2017

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

The store UI on console and web are atrocious

At least you can use the DS4 with the PS3 though. The DS3 was horrendous

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The idea that Sony might have to include backwards compatibility or else Microsoft might swoop in is ludicrous because Microsoft has no games THIS generation. There is literally no reason to promote backwards compatibility (Xbox 5 can play... uh, 360 games and Titanfall!) because we will literally buy games we already own if they are prettier.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I'd be really interested in hearing about people's experiences with Elite Dangerous. I have a few friends on PC who talk about it in a way that makes me really want to play it, and it'd be nice to know if the experience transports well to console.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Yeah I'm probably gonna get it. I actually bought it last year for PC on the Steam Sale but it makes my computer cry for mercy so I figure the PS4 version would fit the bill. I hear a lot about how open-ended it is and what I hear from friends on it too makes it sound really fun.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

The idea that Sony might have to include backwards compatibility or else Microsoft might swoop in is ludicrous because Microsoft has no games THIS generation. There is literally no reason to promote backwards compatibility (Xbox 5 can play... uh, 360 games and Titanfall!) because we will literally buy games we already own if they are prettier.

You're missing the point. I don't care if Microsoft has backwards compat for their next console since I don't own an Xbone and likely never will. I do care if Sony has backwards compat for PS5, since I own a PS4. So if Sony adds BC, PS5 will almost certainly be my main console next gen, since it'd be a no brainer if I get to bring along my library. Without BC, there's a chance the next Xbox could draw me away since I don't have a strong reason to stay in the Sony ecosystem.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Also on the topic of E:D -- can someone explain the difference between the standard game for $30 on the PS store, and the $60 Commander Deluxe package? Which is worth getting?

illBilliam
Jan 8, 2006

Montalvo posted:

Also on the topic of E:D -- can someone explain the difference between the standard game for $30 on the PS store, and the $60 Commander Deluxe package? Which is worth getting?

The deluxe package includes the Horizons expansion, which allows for landing on atmosphere-less rocky planets and exploring them via a dune buggy kind of vehicle. The gotcha is that you can seek out engineers that can boost the capabilities of your ship. These engineers live in outposts on these planets so without the Horizons expansion you will be locked out of being able to engineer your ship to be better, stronger, faster.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I lost 90% of my interest in ED once it became clear PSVR support wasn't happening. It doesn't strike me as something worth diving into without it since it was clearly designed with that in mind (although I'll probably end up getting it anyway since I love spaceships).

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

A little late to the party but backwards compatibility is a pretty big deal to me. I'm tired of losing or rebuying my library

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

illBilliam posted:

The deluxe package includes the Horizons expansion, which allows for landing on atmosphere-less rocky planets and exploring them via a dune buggy kind of vehicle. The gotcha is that you can seek out engineers that can boost the capabilities of your ship. These engineers live in outposts on these planets so without the Horizons expansion you will be locked out of being able to engineer your ship to be better, stronger, faster.

Tell me more about this ship upgrading thing. Would you say it's vital? Is there anything else about Horizons that you'd say is like an essential thing? I haven't pre-ordered yet and I'm sitting here trying to figure if I wanna go base or get the Deluxe.

illBilliam
Jan 8, 2006

Policenaut posted:

Tell me more about this ship upgrading thing. Would you say it's vital? Is there anything else about Horizons that you'd say is like an essential thing? I haven't pre-ordered yet and I'm sitting here trying to figure if I wanna go base or get the Deluxe.

I'm not completely sure how vital it is. I played this on a macbook pro until Frontier stopped development for that platform when Horizons was released.

What I do know is that if you plan on pvp'ing (or just playing in open), yes it is vital because you could get easily outclassed by players with souped up murder-boats. Engineering also offers quality of life improvements for exploring with longer jump ranges with tweaks to the frameshift drive.

I'm not sure if NPCs have engineered gear or not if you don't have Horizons installed. If they do, then they outclass you by default, rendering the base game a $30 demo... in my opinion.

Edit: For the record, I bought the deluxe package. I stopped playing this game on the macbook because I couldn't participate in engineering.I don't see any point in playing this game without it.

Double Edit: If you get the game, please join us in the community group SpaaaaceGoooons. Send a direct request or hit up myself or Parkingtigers for an invite. My psn is illsense.

illBilliam fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jun 27, 2017

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Thanks for clarifying! I'm still on the fence, but it looks like I'll buy the package with the expansion in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Montalvo posted:

Or the Legendary disc edition for 49.99 at BB??!
[Ed] which seems to include the Horizons DLC.

Feenix fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jun 27, 2017