Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I actually have a copy of King's Field IV... I should try it out one of these days
Its frigging rad, but very, very slow.

It's also a total troll game. If you're not careful you can die literally within the first two seconds before you've even saved the game, lol

Edit: it's not quite as bad as the first Shadow Tower, where your perspective when you first load in cunningly hides that you're standing on a 2 foot wide path suspended in the air so if you do anything except walk completely straight ahead you die. KF4 is similar to that tho.

FromSoftware love to gently caress with you

Akuma fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Feb 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Shadow Tower is so miserable. I remember falling off that loving bridge straight away because the controls were so weird.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Ok it’s raining cats & dogs here so I grabbed Dark Souls 3 for the day. What are the important things I should know/you wish you had known going in?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Akuma posted:

Its frigging rad, but very, very slow.

It's also a total troll game. If you're not careful you can die literally within the first two seconds before you've even saved the game, lol

Edit: it's not quite as bad as the first Shadow Tower, where your perspective when you first load in cunningly hides that you're standing on a 2 foot wide path suspended in the air so if you do anything except walk completely straight ahead you die. KF4 is similar to that tho.

FromSoftware love to gently caress with you

I haven't really played any of the pre-Demon's Souls From games so I'm intrigued. I actually just watched a video the other day that featured the infamous Shadow Tower death lol

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

Ok it’s raining cats & dogs here so I grabbed Dark Souls 3 for the day. What are the important things I should know/you wish you had known going in?

Don't get concerned with any of the NPC questlines because they're all fairly obtuse. Other than that, if you've played any of the other games you'll be fine. I didn't die for hours and hours into my first DS3 playthrough.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Bust Rodd posted:

That you should be playing Nioh 2 instead with me.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I beat the first boss in one go then died to the katana arsehole outside Firelink

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Yeah beyond the NPC quests DS3 is relatively straightforward for a Souls game. The only thing I can think of is that it's possible to fight a certain boss early on that's meant for much later in the game, and you can get through a bunch of the next area after that boss and reach a door that will be locked until you progress further in the game. But that probably won't happen on your first playthrough since you need to kill an NPC to do it

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Bust Rodd posted:

Not to start with caster class because it will be hours before you get access to a magic teacher and you'll be getting absolutely nothing out of all those souls you're investing in Intellect or Attunement until then.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I will never harm a hair on an NPC’s head, unless they intend to do harm to my other NPCs, then I paint the walls with their blood.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Bust Rodd posted:

I will never harm a hair on an NPC’s head, unless they intend to do harm to my other NPCs, then I paint the walls with their blood.

Same tbh.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

lol just lol if you didn't kill stockpile thomas within the first five mins of DeS

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Quantum of Phallus posted:

lol just lol if you didn't kill stockpile thomas within the first five mins of DeS

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Tales From the Borderlands is extremely, extremely good, and I'm saying that as someone who hates the humor in Borderlands.

It's really a step above and beyond all their other games, both in writing and in creative design. Their Batman games and Wolf Among Us are the only other ones I'd bother with these days

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The telltale strong bad email games were really good.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

also unless they patched it there's a glitch so you can respec whenever you want as long as you have one of the respec items (pale tongue) and that is the only reason I made it through DS3

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Finished Gravity Rush 2 and, well, I'm not too surprised his next project appears to be a straight up horror game

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i feel like i'm the only person who liked the telltale game of thrones game. probably colored by the fact that it was the first game my now-wife and i played together but i thought it was presented really well and told a good story at a time when the show was kind of bad

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

You mean the game lasted for 8 years? ((because the show was always bad, you see)(I've never watched Game of Thrones in my life))

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

exquisite tea posted:

You mean the game lasted for 8 years? ((because the show was always bad, you see)(I've never watched Game of Thrones in my life))

It was good for a little while. Really good even

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Iceborne going real good. Now I can hang out doing some events for decos and MR so I can maybe augment some of this prior to Fatalis where the real fun beings.

And speaking of games PS Remote Play, after working perfectly all this time, now instantly disconnects after 5-10 seconds. Apparently it's also an ongoing issue since people been posting about for months. Not great!

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

The telltale strong bad email games were really good.

Oh I forgot those, yeah

And obviously Sam and Max and Back to the Future are good

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

fridge corn posted:

Do I need a head set for voice chat or can I just use the dualsense built in mic? I use a pair of sony 1000xm3 headphones that I think also have a built in mic but I think it tends to pick up a lot of ambient noise. I've never played online games with voice chat so I have no idea what the preferred set up is

FYI: To use the xm3 with the ps4 as a headset you need a cable with an integrated microphone that you plug into the controller, as the xm3 doesn't transmit voice over cable and you can't use Bluetooth to connect to the ps4. Even if you could, like on PC, you can't transmit voice and audio via this connection because of Bluetooth technology limits.

If you need a recommendation, I use the V-Moda Boom Pro. Not exactly cheap but it has the mic on a flexible arm, inline mute and volume control and comes with an adapter for separate mic and audio connectors if you need them, e.g. for use on a laptop or PC.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Don't get concerned with any of the NPC questlines because they're all fairly obtuse. Other than that, if you've played any of the other games you'll be fine. I didn't die for hours and hours into my first DS3 playthrough.

Or do, but just google it. Like, at least do Siegmeyer of Catarina’s quest (the onion knight), because it’s not too absurd. But yeh there’s some NPCs who will be cool with you throughout like 2/3rds of the game and you consistently helping them out, until the moment you give a pale tongue to Rosaria to re-spec, which will make her mad and she’ll ditch you. And definitely draw out your true strength.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
I think it's worth it to look up the NPC quests, some of them are p. good and there's a lot of LORE in there, plus you have to pay attention to them for certain endings.

but yeah at least do Siegmeyer's quest, it's easy and you get a rad cutscene

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Thought I'd ask here rather than the TLOU2 thread since the title says it's spoiler chat now but I'm gonna have some free time soon to maybe finish up some games and was hoping to complete TLOU2 in the process. I stopped playing very early in the game when Ellie was putting flowers at Joel's grave and got distracted by other things and was wondering if anyone could share some general estimates at completion time for playing casually but not rushing? It sounds like it's definitely longer than the first game but if anyone had a ballpark figure for how many hours it would be appreciated.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Whole game is around 30 hours without rushing, I’d say.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Yeah my casual run where I missed several entire buildings was like 34 hours.

It's insane how much content the game has

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Meaty! Longer than I thought but that's no bad thing. I think I heard they continued what they started with Uncharted 4 and having much larger spaces to explore as well? Gonna take my time with this :D

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The ONLY part of TLOU2 that I thought felt padded was when you’re on the boat as Ellie going through the ruined buildings, I skipped through a lot of that.

Game rocks.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

SUNKOS posted:

Meaty! Longer than I thought but that's no bad thing. I think I heard they continued what they started with Uncharted 4 and having much larger spaces to explore as well? Gonna take my time with this :D

There’s one Lost Legacy-style big area early on where you can explore objectives in any order.
There’s other areas that are fairly open as well, it’s like what I’ve heard described as Wide Linear.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

I played on Hard, complete time was 35 hours almost exactly. Bump it down to normal and you're prolly looking at 30 hours exactly.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

SUNKOS posted:

There's only one area that feels like an Uncharted 4 style mini open world where you can chill and explore at your leisure. The environments are much larger than TLOU1, but they're still linear with a start and an end. The added space is more about making stealth and combat more varied and interesting than it is about letting you explore.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

SUNKOS posted:

Yeah, some of the combat arenas are the size of a city block and include several buildings. Several times bigger than the biggest arenas in 1.

There's also a good mix and pacing between areas like that and tight linear set pieces. The game is a master class in pacing.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I wouldn't really call TLOU2 padded as such, but I do kinda think it's honestly just too long for its own good. With games that keep piling on the misery like TLOU2 does, there's usually a point at which emotional exhaustion sets in for a lot of people and they stop really engaging with the story anymore. 30 hours is way too much and I've seen more than a few people say that by the time they finally got to Abby's half of the game they really just wanted it to be over already. TLOU2 could've told the same story in half the time without really losing anything and I think the game would've probably been better off for it.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

It's not too long, it's the right length. It's not padded, it's meaty. I'd also suggest bringing unspoiled story chat to the official thread.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

It’s a little long imo.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Pablo Nergigante posted:

It’s a little long imo.

Read Dead Redemption 2 is a little long. 2LOU is the right length.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

It's not too long, it's the right length. It's not padded, it's meaty. I'd also suggest bringing unspoiled story chat to the official thread.

It’s actually very long and could do with less fights. Like there’s just one too many encounters on like every other chapter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Finished hot new game Fear 2 on PS3 tonight. I’m keeping up with the fresh gaming zeitgeist.