Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sioux
May 30, 2006

some ghoulish parody of humanity

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Redfall isn't a hero shooter, they literally described it as an "open world immersive game from Arkane that you can play completely solo, or co-op"

I don't know, but it gives off really weird Borderlands vibes to me. Especially the mysterious sniper with the bird and the little yellow robot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

trust Arkane :)

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

weird that nobody seems to be saying that about Deathloop, the game that actually looks cool

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

saying what

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

saying that

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

you can't blame me if people in the PS5 thread aren't saying "Trust ARkane"
I can't wait to play Deathloop, it looks great

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Never let me down yet

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I'm not blaming you. I also think it looks cool.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

i'm 5 chapters into Like a Dragon, it's really really good.

also, against my better judgment, I bought Far Cry 4 on sale and it always blows my mind how Ubi spend so much work developing their enemy characters, getting good voice actors, whereas the player character always has the most bland, awful voice actor going.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

My first Arkane game was 'The Adventures of Sir Kicksalot Deathboot in the Land of the Conspicuously Placed Spike Racks' and I loved it. After that I played Dishonored, Prey and patched Arx Fatalis and they've been a 100% great games for me.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Quantum of Phallus posted:

also, against my better judgment, I bought Far Cry 4 on sale and it always blows my mind how Ubi spend so much work developing their enemy characters, getting good voice actors, whereas the player character always has the most bland, awful voice actor going.

they solved that in FC5 by making them mute

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I also can't get over how there's absolutely no sense of urgency whatsoever in what's going on. There's no big main quest markers or anything, it's just a few lovely icons on the map that say "Go here and get lots of XP" and somehow that's your motivation for continuing the story. Rubbish!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

I also can't get over how there's absolutely no sense of urgency whatsoever in what's going on. There's no big main quest markers or anything, it's just a few lovely icons on the map that say "Go here and get lots of XP" and somehow that's your motivation for continuing the story. Rubbish!

they solved that in FC5 by dragging you kicking and screaming into cutscenes, whatever it is you might have been doing at the time. like i legit think this is the complaint they thought they were addressing

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

HIT EM WITH THA BLISS BULLETS

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Farcry 4 had the minicopter and grenade launcher sidearm which is all the justification that game needs

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Guillermus posted:

My first Arkane game was 'The Adventures of Sir Kicksalot Deathboot in the Land of the Conspicuously Placed Spike Racks' and I loved it. After that I played Dishonored, Prey and patched Arx Fatalis and they've been a 100% great games for me.

Dark Messiah of Slippin' and Slidin' is real fuckin good

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I loved the voice acting in DMOM&M

"Impalll him, Sareth!"

That was a great looking game at the time, they went absolutely wild with the fake HDR bloom that had been added to Source. The enemy character models still look really good.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I liked Arkane since I played Arx Fatalis and Dark Messiah but it only became amazing with Dishonored and Prey, the latter of which is an absolute gem of a game. Dishonored 2 was too much of a retread/remix story-wise (though the levels were still great) and Death of the Outsider felt unnecessary, I didn't even finish it.

So I'm really excited for both Deathloop and Redfall.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

It runs great in widescreen resolutions on PC, no messing around needed and in my opinion, the gameplay holds up really well once you realise that the devs went nuts with the physics being the deadliest thing.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I love Arkane but yeah Dishonored 2 didn't quite click like the first one did, the levels are as good, maybe better but the story just didn't have it in the same way

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I love Arkane but yeah Dishonored 2 didn't quite click like the first one did, the levels are as good, maybe better but the story just didn't have it in the same way

Yeah I waited for years to grab Dishonored 2 on the cheap and when I finally got it I played 2 levels as Emily and went “yeah that’s cool I guess”

Deathloop… I dunno, it seems so, so, so lame to me! It just screams “VIDEO GAME” to me in big glowing neon letters, I don’t want that, that’s not an immersive feeling.

Returnal is a game about time loops and murder but it doesn’t feel corny or forced. Deathloop seems more like some kind of weird cosmic game show, or like a Gary’s Mod PvP map. Absolutely no hype for me on Deathloop.

Sioux posted:

I don't know, but it gives off really weird Borderlands vibes to me. Especially the mysterious sniper with the bird and the little yellow robot.

Yeah god forbid they emulate an extremely beloved and fun to play franchise like Borderlands! Borderlands but with Bethesda’s writing and no Randy Pitchford sounds… amazing?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Bust Rodd posted:

fun to play franchise like Borderlands!

que

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

snorederlands

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Boredlands

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Dishonoured 2 has the best maps in any game ever imo. Huge, interesting and fun to explore, multiple paths, multiple goals, different ways to complete the same goal. That game was a masterpiece.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Trying to make them more relatable to the player

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Toot toot!

Japanese Rail Sim: Journey to Kyoto is out at least in the Americas, for $60US.

https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP0079-CUSA28207_00-1359332952711598

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

univbee posted:

Toot toot!

https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP0079-CUSA28207_00-1359332952711598

drat, that's extremely my poo poo but full price? Oof.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

univbee posted:

Toot toot!

3x the price of the assuredly superior 3ds version. sad!

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

I love everything Ive ever played by Arkane, but I keep bouncing off Dishonored 2. Ive tried to play it 3 times now, and I've gotta probably half way through it, but I can't bring myself to beat it. I'm glad Im not the only one who feels that way about it.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

univbee posted:

Toot toot!

Still waiting for that dang Densha de Go PS4 release to come out instead.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah god forbid they emulate an extremely beloved and fun to play franchise like Borderlands! Borderlands but with Bethesda’s writing and no Randy Pitchford sounds… amazing?

Imagine saying 'Bethesda writing' like it isn't a huge negative to anything it's applied to.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Veeg TLOU2 I’m at work so can’t think of funny things sorry https://www.twitch.tv/videogamessa

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Bust Rodd posted:

:kstare:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I saw a robot today

Annoying creatures, I avoid them whenever I can

The Neal!
Sep 3, 2004

HAY GUYZ! I want to be a director
Trying to get into 13 sentinels and I'm liking it so far but I'm a little confused about how checkpoints and the flowchart is meant to work. It seems like I can go back to scenes and do different things instead but am I meant to be doing that during the first run of the game or are they like different choice paths that will change the story if I redo them? Also kind of confused by what keywords are (more options in the thought cloud maybe?) and why I should be seeking them out?

Otherwise it seems like a pretty interesting story, enjoying piecing it together from the weird fractured narrative structure it's presented in

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The Neal! posted:

Trying to get into 13 sentinels and I'm liking it so far but I'm a little confused about how checkpoints and the flowchart is meant to work. It seems like I can go back to scenes and do different things instead but am I meant to be doing that during the first run of the game or are they like different choice paths that will change the story if I redo them? Also kind of confused by what keywords are (more options in the thought cloud maybe?) and why I should be seeking them out?

Otherwise it seems like a pretty interesting story, enjoying piecing it together from the weird fractured narrative structure it's presented in

The story won't change, you're going to be seeing every scene to progress. If you're wondering how that works, all the "mutually exclusive" scenes take place sequentially on different days. That's not a spoiler, it's just kind of confusing.

Keywords are basically Thought Cloud items, you're correct. Certain keywords, as shown in the flowchart, are needed to progress to certain scenes, though you can only unlock certain keywords by seeing other scenes, so the game's a bit more linear in that fashion than it appears.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
I wish I could erase my memories and play 13 Sentinels again

Same for AI The Somnium Files and Obra Dinn

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The Neal! posted:

Despite what the flowchart implies those are not branching paths. It's not that kind of game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

Just noticed the PS4 version of Cyberpunk 2077 is back on the PSN store (in Australia at least) at a slightly reduced price. I figure I might get it on sale sometime, but am I correct in assuming it's patched up enough to play now?

(edit: sorry I should have read the previous page more thoroughly and didn't see it brought up)