Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Samurai Sanders posted:

MGR is great but it still doesn't feel like a finished game to me, same as MGS5.

We needed a throw Huey into the pool part of MGSV

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

ElwoodCuse posted:

How is the Gran Turismo ps4 not a pro, isn't it like super optimized for pro?

Digital Foundry did a video on the beta and it does run a little better on Pro, no idea how the difference will be when the final version comes out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXZPUUE6wT0

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The problem is it's not an exclusive, it's a launch exclusive, which no-one is buying into for a second. The odds are not in favour for it on XBone, because it requires owning or buying an XBone. Nevermind one that's much more expensive than the standard model. It's going up against a customer base that almost certainly has a gaming PC that'll run it, or at least a PS4. They either get it on Steam, or just wait out the exclusivity window.

Sony needs to partner with Valve for exclusive rights to Steam. I know some Steam games can't be supported on PS4 but future systems can be fully integrated. Valve already tried to do the Steambox thing but obviously didn't work out because their market is PC gamers who already owned PCs. Which meant they had to carve out of the console market for their Steambox, which didn't work going up against loyal PS, Nintendo, or XBOX fanbase. Now partnering with Sony, that could be good. But we will see.

And yes I agree with you that trying to force people to buy an XBone is poo poo.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Hey, remember Umbrella Corps

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

Manatee Cannon posted:

what would have happened with the ps3 launch if the 360 wasn't around? or the bone launch without the ps4

The PS3 launch was a bit of a disaster... vastly overpriced compared to the 360 which came a year before it, initially sold better as a cheap Blu-Ray player than a games console (Blu-Ray players were very expensive around the time).

I had a 360 last-gen and it was awesome, but switched to PS4 this-gen and it would take a lot to shift me back to Xbox at this point. They've burned lots of bridges and the 'X' is in a weird position of being to close-to-next-gen but still shackled to the One's legacy.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The one guy I know who bought a Bone says it's been sitting there unplayed while everyone else in the apartment uses their PS4s.

The only games they seem to have are Halos and Gears of Wars.

My brother bought a bone and I think the only game he's bought in the last half year is Gears.

quote:

I am definitely not a fan of Microsoft anymore, though. That I can say. I loved my Xbox and I started off enjoying my Xbox 360 until the changes that the dashboard underwent. From what I've seen of the division, though, and the decisions they've made I don't see them having really done anything to change.

Yeah same. I still think their controller is better than the DS4, but the 360 dashboard's gotten a lot worse, and the Xbone's is a laggy lovely mess. The UI is horrible. He brings it over and we play Halo still, but Halo 5 is pretty crappy compared to earlier titles (but still better than 4 I guess). I bought Gears on PC, Halo 6 I guess will be PC, I have Forza on PC, they've killed Fable (seriously what the hell did they do), do they even have anything else?

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Aug 22, 2017

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
I've been using PS4 Remote Play on Windows, but the picture seems to eventually stop refreshing after a few minutes, meaning I have to close it and restart. Anyone used it and know any fixes? Sounds seems to keep running just fine though.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

BTW speaking of Dragon's Dogma, what's up with Deep Down, the game everyone thought was going to be DD2? Is it dead?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Vg, they made the new xbox because hardware has good roi. Phil spencer can show his boss how pro got millions of ps4 owners to upgrade and get a new premium box greenlit.

He has zero games that he can use as examples of xbox exclusives being worth the investment and so ms studios have been cash starved.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

I've got an Xbone and a Ps Pro (and VR). Got an Xbox Eite pad, would've spent plenty of money on other games and peripherals, but just didn't find any of it interesting. Don't think it's even plugged in at the minute. I'm pretty sure I only bought the Bone in the first place because my Rock Band stuff carried over.

Which is weird, because last gen I was the opposite, played the 360 but sold my PS3 due to a lack of use.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

When it came down to it, I was using my Xbone to mostly replay some 360 games I was itching to replay. By the time I got that done, they announced the cancellation of Scalebound, and Switch preorders started so trading in the Xbone was a no-brainer.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Real hurthling! posted:

Vg, they made the new xbox because hardware has good roi. Phil spencer can show his boss how pro got millions of ps4 owners to upgrade and get a new premium box greenlit.

I didn't even consider that. That makes a bit more sense.

Also it would have been cooler if they'd used that 2 billion for Minecraft and made 40 AAA games (assuming they cost $50 million each).

I guess I'm saying please can you make new versions of Motocross Madness and Midtown Madness!!

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I wonder if they made their money back on the minecraft deal

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

RBA Starblade posted:

BTW speaking of Dragon's Dogma, what's up with Deep Down, the game everyone thought was going to be DD2? Is it dead?

Unless it has a Nioh style resurrection for PS5 yeah probably

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I just want an Infinite Space sequel :sigh:.

If anything it looks like their next round of releases are probably going to be porting their WiiU titles to the Switch, judging by their twitter feed.

Wonderful 101 deserves your and everyone else's money. IMO it is better than even Bayo 2, or Revengeance.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Manatee Cannon posted:

I wonder if they made their money back on the minecraft deal

That was a way of transferring cash they couldn't spend & didn't want to pay tax on into an asset that has value. microsoft are sitting on 100 billion that they refuse to bring into the US.
The alternative was leave it in an overseas bank (alongside the other 98 billion) making next to no interest, so to give them a higher rate of return than what they would otherwise do with it minecraft only had to make $25m or so. It probably did do that.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Aug 22, 2017

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Tax evasion is so cool

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That tends to happen when you've driven out all your creative talent. Don't forget that they went with releasing the Dragon Dogma MMO exclusively in Japan, where the game sold the worst.

Cue Capcom going all in with their Monster Hunter IP on home consoles, where it will crater in its home market and probably have a tepid reception in the western hemisphere.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Healbot posted:

Cue Capcom going all in with their Monster Hunter IP on home consoles, where it will crater in its home market and probably have a tepid reception in the western hemisphere.

All those people that got ps4s for dqxi in japan gotta play something next

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Manatee Cannon posted:

multiplayer isn't the exclusive right of mmos

I mean, it's not really an MMO, it's more like PSO or MH but with bigger lobbies.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Real hurthling! posted:

All those people that got ps4s for dqxi in japan gotta play something next
Why would they have done that if they already had 3DSs?

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

Samurai Sanders posted:

because it looks better

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Samurai Sanders posted:

Idk but i heard reports that it moved consoles

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Moved their consoles to Gamestop Japan for a trade-in, that is.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I heard that while they 3DS version didn't underperform, they were saying it met the lowest part of expectations or something like that.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

MGR is great but it still doesn't feel like a finished game to me, same as MGS5.

Agreed. It was a fun game, but Bayonetta and Vanquish feel like their most fleshed out and memorable work to me. MGR felt like it needed more time in the oven. Felt that way about Nier:A as well but we wont go down that rabbit hole.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Shenmue staying true to it's roots by looking like a dreamcast game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxbfvlgJ7eE

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

veni veni veni posted:

It's going to kick rear end.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

veni veni veni posted:

Huh, I think their heads are the HD-ish heads from the original game's Passport disc with better hair.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QKCW4EhI0c

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Sakurazuka posted:

Honestly MGS 1&2 and maaaybe 3 haven't aged that well, or at least the control scheme hasn't, which feels very unintuitive if you haven't been playing them since 1998

MGS3: Subsistence is so much better than the other games in the series that not even 5's perfect control scheme can unseat it 3 from its throne. Every lovely thing Kojima ever did in his life is worth it for MGS3's existence. It is the foremost gem and crowning achievement of tactical espionage action, and is very unlikely to be unseated in our lifetimes, if ever.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

MGS3: Subsistence is so much better than the other games in the series that not even 5's perfect control scheme can unseat it 3 from its throne. Every lovely thing Kojima ever did in his life is worth it for MGS3's existence. It is the foremost gem and crowning achievement of tactical espionage action, and is very unlikely to be unseated in our lifetimes, if ever.

Hell, it's both the best MGS game and classic spy film game.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I'm kicking myself a bit because the Surge was just on sale and I only just now played the demo and wow, this game is far and above better than I expected. Even the relatively positive goon buzz wasn't quite the same as seeing it in action -- it's got really solid mechanics, and the level that the trial showcases has real depth, tons of tucked away hidden zones, vertical areas, and a great sense of exploration. I found a split path a ways in and explored it while undergeared, there's a section with some tougher drones right near the start that's cleverly labelled as dangerous, and overall the whole game feels so much more polished and cohesive than Lords of the Fallen.

I'm still gonna wait for it to go on sale 'cause I can't drop 60 bux on anything right now, but this isn't like a one-level wonder, right? The rest of the game is as good as the first zone, right?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

Agreed. It was a fun game, but Bayonetta and Vanquish feel like their most fleshed out and memorable work to me. MGR felt like it needed more time in the oven. Felt that way about Nier:A as well but we wont go down that rabbit hole.

Vanquish's campaign was flatly awful and the only other content was a handful of lackluster challenge maps. If any game needed more time in the oven it was that one.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Oxxidation posted:

Vanquish's campaign was flatly awful and the only other content was a handful of lackluster challenge maps. If any game needed more time in the oven it was that one.

:chloe:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Vanquish owns.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I knew Nex Machina would be fun, but I didn't anticipate just how rewarding it feels to play. While I originally felt that randomized levels would be more fun, going through the same series of levels over and over again and feeling yourself improve is incredibly rewarding. Triple Dash + Dash Explosion + Sword owns bones.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Oxxidation posted:

Wow, look at this terrible opinion.

JBP posted:

Vanquish owns.

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

I'm going to try to beat uncharted 4 before kiwami comes out. I don't like it from what I've played (just started chapter 9) but I can see why everyone else seems to like the series and what makes the game good.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Oxxidation posted:

Good God

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CDHiggs
Dec 16, 2016

That night in Point Pleasant. Those red eyes Richard Gere would never forget.
UK Goons, here's a Jak and Daxter PS4 code to use. Let my CDKeys.com fuckup be your gain!

JTHA – GRNG – 33RM