Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Much like many other things under late stage capitalism, an absolutely insane amount of money is being made off of games, and you can be drat sure that most of that isn't going back into making them or paying the people doing the actual work. Meanwhile the "rising costs of game development" makes a convenient excuse for publishers to continue sticking ever more transparent mtx schemes into even offline, single player games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
i haven't spent more than £25 for a single game except when I stupidly bought ffxv at launch

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

I remember the pod racing game that came out around the Phantom Menace being pretty fun actually?

Much better than the movie, iirc.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Ausgoons:

If you want to get Assassin's Creed: Origins on launch day, Big W's going to be massively undercutting JB and EB Games by selling it for $64AUD.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

DrNutt posted:

Much like many other things under late stage capitalism, an absolutely insane amount of money is being made off of games, and you can be drat sure that most of that isn't going back into making them or paying the people doing the actual work.

This late stage capitalism sure sounds exploitative. We should try to go back to the cool, early days of capitalism.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

rabidsquid posted:

you hear this a lot but considering poo poo like the recent voice actor strike or all of the talk about crunch and you realize that the games industry doesnt pay the people involved poo poo and nobody gets any royalties and they've been taking money for in game sponsorships and ~side hustle~ poo poo and i am seriously skeptical that the costs are up and the income is down

I've been saying this for a while. Sure, support devs you care about with your dollars...but in the end this is a 90 billion dollar industry. gently caress these greedy motherfucking publishers and their bullshit sob stories.

Lobok posted:

This late stage capitalism sure sounds exploitative. We should try to go back to the cool, early days of capitalism.

Screw off with this line.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Just finished MGSV

People who say that game is awful are morons. That is a brilliant, wonderful game.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I, too, find mediocrity, repetition, and a complete lack of payoff to be fascinating. All games should gut interesting characters and plots, tbh.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Kirios posted:

Just finished MGSV

People who say that game is awful are morons. That is a brilliant, wonderful game.

Happy to be a moron :thumbsup:

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I thought the payoff was pretty good, actually.

The minute by minute gameplay is unmatched by any open world or stealth game. The amount of sheer options you have at your disposal, for me, made the game entertaining from start to end.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Kirios posted:

I thought the payoff was pretty good, actually.

The minute by minute gameplay is unmatched by any open world or stealth game. The amount of sheer options you have at your disposal, for me, made the game entertaining from start to end.

Yeah, the systems are incredible. It's a shame the world design and mission design is repetitive and lame, and that the game only has a few boss fights, most of which aren't particularly interesting. It's a game with great systems and the lamest possible game design.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Instant Grat posted:

Hell, we were talking about EA originally, didn't they take the ending of Dead Space 3 out of the base game and sell it as DLC?

Yup, some other prominent (when they were getting released) games to do this were the 2008 Prince of Persia game as well as Army of Two. Like they didn't make additional DLC they just straight up made the complete game, and then cut ending content out of the main game. Mafia 2 was the worst offender though because they wanted the game to have DLC but didn't want to pay any more $$$ to create DLC so they just locked out a huge amount of content from the main game and made it "DLC" missions. To the point where even before that was known the game was noticeably barren and reviewers/players were questioning why it was even an open world game when it had barely anything happening in it besides the main story missions.

MGS5 is so divisive to me to this day. There's a lot to love there but the story is just flat out broken because it was so clearly unfinished. I'm not just talking about the "CHAPTER II" stuff I mean like, look at how complex and cool like three of the outposts/missions are compared to how simple every other area in the entire game. Or the total lack of vertical space outside of the mansion, the final area, and the recon outpost. Or the EXTREMELY well done mergings of cutscene and some basic walking around of the game's intro and the cassette IV reveal later compared to the ride in the jeep. Or the way Mother Base was built with all of these areas clearly meant for you to go to interact with Huey/etc. regularly but without anything to actually do in them. Like you have some great content and a fantastic system combined with stuff was so half-assed it shouldn't have even been in the game. Like there isn't a single area in the game that's even close to how good Ground Zeroes' compound is, partly because the AI is noticeably not as perceptive, like the game is just rushed in a lot of stupid ways its type of game really shouldn't have been.

The few boss fights are really bad too. Like when you first confront Quiet, that fight is intense and really good and the area it's in is great, but everything else was pretty lame.

MGS' boss fights, you could sort of say they're all terrible from a system standpoint, but they had cool characters and dialogue and crazy things going on that made many of them memorable and awesome. But with Phantom Pain's, the Quiet fight is the only one that actually takes advantage of the systems they give you to work with, the rest are like video game 101 "avoid, hit a weak point" stuff that could have been done in any action game.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Oct 18, 2017

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Dead Space 3 had a better ending than the DLC

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Prince of Persia didn't get its ending cut for DLC. It got an additional ending added as DLC but that was more of a Mass Effect 3 situation where the ending was widely despised and they were hoping to salvage it with a DLC. The ending PoP has is thematically appropriate and sensible (the protagonist repeats the same mistake because he fell in love with the female lead and decides to continue the cycle rather than letting her die) and then they shoved in a new ending which was like "No actually it's totally different!! We'll explain how, uh, later" and then no sequel ever happened.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Funny story; EA Vancouver is mainly the EA Sports branch of the company.

My dad worked on FIFA at EA Vancouver​ for many years and couldn't give any less of a poo poo about soccer, like most North Americans. Star Wars would've been much more up his alley.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I don't remember what happens at the end of stock DS3 other than you succeed in killing the moon monster apparently.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Lobok posted:

Hey, if you actually want to debate the merits of capitalism, head on over to D and D. However, I think you will find that "actually, things were worse in the past" is not a compelling argument against changing lovely things in the present.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

haveblue posted:

I don't remember what happens at the end of stock DS3 other than you succeed in killing the moon monster apparently.

DS3: you kill the moon before he can summon the other moons and die heroically in the process. Humanity may still be doomed, but you’ve bought a lot of time, maybe even centuries of it.

DLC: actually you didn’t die. Also the moon summoned the other moons before he died. Also you fell for their trap and by the time you get back to earth to warn everyone the moons are eating it. The end.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The biggest publishers have been piles of poo poo at least since early last gen. At least we a have the saving grace that indie and mid tier titles are much more accessible to make and release now, so interesting concepts and ballsy game design will probably never die, and we have hit the point where it doesn't require the use of pixel art, which is nice.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

DrNutt posted:

Hey, if you actually want to debate the merits of capitalism, head on over to D and D. However, I think you will find that "actually, things were worse in the past" is not a compelling argument against changing lovely things in the present.

I'd love it if lovely things in the present were changed, too! I wasn't arguing for inaction or indifference. I've just seen more and more people lately tack on "late stage" as if capitalism all of a sudden developed a rotten core. Sometimes it applies. But siphoning profits to the top and leaving nothing for the workers or long-term health of the company isn't a new flavour. It's Capitalism Classic.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Lobok posted:

I'd love it if lovely things in the present were changed, too! I wasn't arguing for inaction or indifference. I've just seen more and more people lately tack on "late stage" as if capitalism all of a sudden developed a rotten core. Sometimes it applies. But siphoning profits to the top and leaving nothing for the workers or long-term health of the company isn't a new flavour. It's Capitalism Classic.

It's not late stage because it's bad it's late stage because it's reached its end point. Capitalism cannot reconcile itself with zero-value machines and products which are so prevalent today and are only going to become more and more widespread into more and more markets.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Lobok posted:

fridge corn posted:

It's not late stage because it's bad it's late stage because it's reached its end point. Capitalism cannot reconcile itself with zero-value machines and products which are so prevalent today and are only going to become more and more widespread into more and more markets.

Yeah, personally I'm optimistic that we're at late stage capitalism but pessimistic about our ability to transition to something better anytime soon. Are we going to take brave steps into a post-scarcity society or are we heading back to serving feudal lords with a fresh coat of paint?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I'm going to play through The Evil Within a second time before picking up the sequel, but I never played any of the DLC. If I get the season pass for it does that cover everything?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Neo Rasa posted:

I'm going to play through The Evil Within a second time before picking up the sequel, but I never played any of the DLC. If I get the season pass for it does that cover everything?

Follow up question: is the DLC worth it/story relevant?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

DrNutt posted:

Yeah, personally I'm optimistic that we're at late stage capitalism but pessimistic about our ability to transition to something better anytime soon. Are we going to take brave steps into a post-scarcity society or are we heading back to serving feudal lords with a fresh coat of paint?

I think said anxiety with regard to "what's next?" is widespread. It would certainly explain the perpetual fascination with zombocalypse themes in popular media, the idea of some mystery disaster pitting all against all.

Then again, most of the metaphors present in zombocalypse stories actually work to explain the daily conditions of living under unregulated market capitalism, too, so...:shrug:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

fruit on the bottom posted:

DS3: you kill the moon before he can summon the other moons and die heroically in the process. Humanity may still be doomed, but you’ve bought a lot of time, maybe even centuries of it.

DLC: actually you didn’t die. Also the moon summoned the other moons before he died. Also you fell for their trap and by the time you get back to earth to warn everyone the moons are eating it. The end.

I think it's implied that humanity was already megafucked because of what happens in the intro too; Isaac's good friend Carver the Man Potato suggests the government has fallen, the monolith things are turning everyone into necromorphs super quick and his crew are mostly what's left they know of.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

why in farcry 4, did they make the last area of the map, just when you're getting really bored of the game, insanely bland and dull to look at?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I guess I didn’t care for the super fatalistic ending where ultimately nothing you did mattered. I don’t have a problem with that in a book or a movie but it feels a little more insulting in a game, although that might just be because there’s three of them.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

I think it's implied that humanity was already megafucked because of what happens in the intro too; Isaac's good friend Carver the Man Potato suggests the government has fallen, the monolith things are turning everyone into necromorphs super quick and his crew are mostly what's left they know of.

They do mention "EarthGov is gone" but I always took that to mean "The Unitologists took over".

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Neo Rasa posted:

Yes, there are two story DLC and one stand alone combat thing I thought sucked, the season pass gives you all of those.

DrNutt posted:

Follow up question: is the DLC worth it/story relevant?

Two are story relevant and 'worth it' depends on how much you like the story and the stealth system, there's very little combat. Didn't play the third long enough to gain an opinion other than 'meh'.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

HGH posted:

They do mention "EarthGov is gone" but I always took that to mean "The Unitologists took over".

Yeah but most of those guys are hopping on the zombie train too and pulling the rest of humanity onto the corpse pile caboose.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

fridge corn posted:

I was responding to the stuff about not paying workers or reinvesting in the company, which is old. I swear I wasn't trying to start poo poo with people. Was just being overly sarcastic about greedy corporations.

When it comes to me seeing the term more and more lately, this article sums it up if anyone else has noticed the same thing:

Why the Phrase 'Late Capitalism' Is Suddenly Everywhere

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

ImpAtom posted:

Prince of Persia didn't get its ending cut for DLC. It got an additional ending added as DLC but that was more of a Mass Effect 3 situation where the ending was widely despised and they were hoping to salvage it with a DLC. The ending PoP has is thematically appropriate and sensible (the protagonist repeats the same mistake because he fell in love with the female lead and decides to continue the cycle rather than letting her die) and then they shoved in a new ending which was like "No actually it's totally different!! We'll explain how, uh, later" and then no sequel ever happened.

I don't know if the DLC was cut content or not, but I still have no idea why people like it better than the original. Yeah, it was sad, even depressing, but it was actually extremely interesting and original, whereas the DLC ending is just a tepid, lukewarm "save the princess" stereotypical ending.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CordlessPen posted:

I don't know if the DLC was cut content or not, but I still have no idea why people like it better than the original. Yeah, it was sad, even depressing, but it was actually extremely interesting and original, whereas the DLC ending is just a tepid, lukewarm "save the princess" stereotypical ending.

It's a pretty interesting situation honest.

Basically thematically the ending makes sense and their big flaw was leaving control in the player's hand. What happened is that they found there was a huge disconnect between what the players wanted to do and what the character wanted to do. This can be a valuable thing in games but PoP flubbed it because it designed it under the assumption the player and the characters would share a motivation there and instead it ended up with an ending that was heavily disconnected from the players.

It's the danger of trying to do those sorts of stories with player interaction. if you mess it up it can damage things really badly because the story itself relies on the player's actions to help give the character's actions extra motivation and weight.If it had just been a cutscene of the Prince doing it, taking control away from the player, then it probably would have worked better because it would have just been the end of the Prince's arc. By making the player do it without giving them a reason it just ended up causing the big backlash.

It's also why the epilogue isn't really satisfying. They tried to fix it by making it 'happy' but the genuine complaint wasn't that it wasn't happy but that the player had no reason to be complacent in it being sad. Instead you get something that undermines the dramatic narrative in favor of 'poo poo people were unhappy! Make it happy!"

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

Yeah but most of those guys are hopping on the zombie train too and pulling the rest of humanity onto the corpse pile caboose.
I still don't get how everyone was so susceptible as to follow a religion whose ultimate goal is "convergence" into a giant loving meat ball with teeth. There's even a part in DS2 where they test applicants and go "Hmmm these guys are too smart to be emotionally manipulated by our blatant brainwashing, better get rid of them".
It's just such an intensely obviously evil religion but no one really does anything about it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

HGH posted:

I still don't get how everyone was so susceptible as to follow a religion whose ultimate goal is "convergence" into a giant loving meat ball with teeth. There's even a part in DS2 where they test applicants and go "Hmmm these guys are too smart to be emotionally manipulated by our blatant brainwashing, better get rid of them".
It's just such an intensely obviously evil religion.

It's Scientology with zombies.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

ImpAtom posted:

It's a pretty interesting situation honest.

Basically thematically the ending makes sense and their big flaw was leaving control in the player's hand. What happened is that they found there was a huge disconnect between what the players wanted to do and what the character wanted to do. This can be a valuable thing in games but PoP flubbed it because it designed it under the assumption the player and the characters would share a motivation there and instead it ended up with an ending that was heavily disconnected from the players.

It's the danger of trying to do those sorts of stories with player interaction. if you mess it up it can damage things really badly because the story itself relies on the player's actions to help give the character's actions extra motivation and weight.If it had just been a cutscene of the Prince doing it, taking control away from the player, then it probably would have worked better because it would have just been the end of the Prince's arc. By making the player do it without giving them a reason it just ended up causing the big backlash.

See also: The Last of Us

haveblue fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Oct 18, 2017

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Lobok posted:

I was responding to the stuff about not paying workers or reinvesting in the company, which is old. I swear I wasn't trying to start poo poo with people. Was just being overly sarcastic about greedy corporations.

When it comes to me seeing the term more and more lately, this article sums it up if anyone else has noticed the same thing:

Why the Phrase 'Late Capitalism' Is Suddenly Everywhere

That article clearly explains where the term "late capitalism" comes from, why it's a useful descriptor, and specifically refutes the idea that it has anything to do with "as if capitalism all of a sudden developed a rotten core", so I'm not sure what you're getting at here

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

haveblue posted:

See also: The Last of Us

The Last of Us, I think, handled it better because the very last bit takes control away from Joel, which emphasizes the idea that maybe Joel was in the wrong there. It disconnects the player from him, which is where PoP screwed up. TLoU was smart enough to know that its audience would be split over what Joel did while PoP clearly though its audience would be onboard.

I think another good example is Far Cry 3 where the entire game attempts to be a critique of the Mighty Whitey/Chosen One archetype (and fails miserably but that's neither here nor there) and then has a big ending where the obvious intent is for the player to buy into the narrative and get the ending the writer intended... except since they gave you a 'walk away' ending almost everyone took that and it undercuts the intended idea entirely because it turns out players weren't onboard and had no problem walking away from the promise of power and hot ladies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

That article clearly explains where the term "late capitalism" comes from, why it's a useful descriptor, and specifically refutes the idea that it has anything to do with "as if capitalism all of a sudden developed a rotten core", so I'm not sure what you're getting at here

The article was not submitted in my defence. Just thought if anyone else noticed the same thing I was seeing around that it was a good read that covers everything. Like Beanpole suggested I'll just screw off.