Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Why have they not done any re-releasing of FF8? Is it that hated even in Japan, or by SE themselves?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I think the amount of work needed to make that game not look like digital barf is probably substantially higher than any of their other remasters

Also it sucks and everything about it lame and abandoned and they took all the best parts of it and made them into FFX, which was a mega smash hit success and probably carried them into the next console generation

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

MrLonghair posted:

Why have they not done any re-releasing of FF8? Is it that hated even in Japan, or by SE themselves?

It's the least critically acclaimed/popular of that era, and probably down there with FF2 overall.

That being said, it's on PS3/P/V and got a re-release on Steam after 7 did (as a touch up of the old Eidos port, same as 7), so hey.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

fridge corn posted:

I've got a 500gb ps4 and never had any problems with space? If I run out of space I just delete a game ive finished cuz its not likely that I'll play it again anyway? 🤔

What on earth would you need a 2tb drive for

I can download 525GB of poo poo a month. Think I want to redownload every new game that's 50+ gigs now?

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

fridge corn posted:

What on earth would you need a 2tb drive for
To have all the PSVR games I own installed at the same time along with a handful of bloated AAAs :v:

Plus there's the improved loading times that should help a lot when it's time to goodbyerealworld with Skyrim VR. (it will all further improve with a PS4 Pro purchase next year)

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Oct 22, 2017

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Norns posted:

I can download 525GB of poo poo a month. Think I want to redownload every new game that's 50+ gigs now?

Idk i only buy physical copies of games cuz im not about to be mugged off by the Sony shop

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

fridge corn posted:

Idk i only buy physical copies of games cuz im not about to be mugged off by the Sony shop

i've got some bad news for you, friend from 1997. video games have patches now.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Prey is really good, god drat. They shouldn't have released that buggy-rear end demo

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

rabidsquid posted:

i've got some bad news for you, friend from 1997. video games have patches now.

Huh? He was talking about pricing.

I miss the 2tb I had in my OG PS4, but I mostly buy discs too. I delete stuff off my pro all the time, but then it's like 5 minutes to reinstall if I want to play again.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

veni veni veni posted:

Huh? He was talking about pricing.

I miss the 2tb I had in my OG PS4, but I mostly buy discs too. I delete stuff off my pro all the time, but then it's like 5 minutes to reinstall if I want to play again.

he was saying he didnt have to deal with downloads because he buys games on discs

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Not in that post though. He was referring to digital being more expensive.

But yeah, honestly patches make it less easy to just get up and running, but for most games discs save me an immense amount of time since a disc can have like 50 gigs on it and that's a full day of downloading on my lovely internet connection.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Yeah if you gotta reinstall a game it's way better to have it on a disc but then I've never had to reinstall a game ever

Games currently on my system :

Xcom2 (waiting to be deleted)
Witcher 3 (haven't played dlc yet)
Horizon (waiting for dlc)
Doom (waiting to be deleted)
Bloodborne (bloodborne)
Shadow of Mordor (currently playing, can be deleted when finished)
Farcry 4 (currently playing, can be deleted when finished)

The only reason I haven't deleted the games waiting to be deleted is because I don't need the space yet. A 2tb hard drive would just end up with a lot of useless clutter and games I don't play anymore

Edit: also the most expensive game on that list was Horizon which I bought for £27

fridge corn fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Oct 22, 2017

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

fridge corn posted:

Yeah if you gotta reinstall a game it's way better to have it on a disc but then I've never had to reinstall a game ever

Other people play games differently, how are you only just finding this out? Its fine you play 1-2 games at a time then move on and never look back, but other people replay bits of their back catalogue when the mood takes them, or have different games for different moods, or whatever.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.

veni veni veni posted:

Not in that post though. He was referring to digital being more expensive.

How is it even possible to lose a thread in two posts?

fridge corn posted:

Norns posted:

Unless fridge corn forgot mid-post that he was replying to a comment about game space and download limits, in which case I guess you're not incorrect on a technicality.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I was talking about myself my guy

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

TheDarkFlame posted:

How is it even possible to lose a thread in two posts?

person one: I dl 500Gb of games a month
Person two: I buy discs because I don't want to pay PSN store prices
person three: games have patches now

there ya go. The conversation didn't even make any sense it doesn't matter.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Please only talk about the designated topic and only one at a time

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I don't care if it's all over the place. That guy just seemed confused so I was laying on the table for him.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

For me it's all about that convenience. I have a 2TB drive, I likely won't fill it (I think I'm at like 1/3rd full) but I have every digital game I could possibly fathom wanting to play on it right now and if the mood does strike me when it's there. I'm not gonna play Everybody's Golf or LET IT DIE or whathaveyou every day, but it's there so I don't go "aw I have to re-download it" later.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Don't forget the bug (feature?) that doesn't let you download comparably small files if you don't have over 100GB free. Much bigger hassle with the smaller drive.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Rinkles posted:

Don't forget the bug (feature?) that doesn't let you download comparably small files if you don't have over 100GB free. Much bigger hassle with the smaller drive.

Haha yes, that's a good one, Sony.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

MrLonghair posted:

Gonna grab a 2TB Seagate Firecuda SSHD next week and a dock along with it and do the HD transfer thing, I will not need to de-authorize this hd+ps4 combo for each account, right?

I didn't deauthorize anything when I transferred to my Firecuda 2TB. I only have 1 account though. Just copied to my 3TB USB3 drive, swapped drives, installed firmware on new drive via the thumb drive method, then restored from my 3TB drive. It took awhile, but was worth it.

Also:
a) 500GB is not enough if you have a few replayable games (racing game, Madden or Fifa, a FPS of choice, etc.) and then whatever AAA story based game(s) you are working on (especially if you are waiting on DLC for one and don't want to reinstall all the patches in a couple months), then add in indies at 5-20GB a pop, 1TB isn't even enough.

b) If using a SSHD, I would rather have it as the internal drive and move the original HDD to external, right now my original 1TB that came with my pro is set aside while I wanted to make sure my transfer of P.T. went smoothly (even though I won't play it again) and the Firecuda doesn't die since it seems from reviews that it will either die within 6 months or last the normal lifespan of a SSHD; but if the 2TB gets full, then the 1TB will become and external add-on,

c) I am glad they let you claim your PS+ games now without having to download when you go through the console instead of the website, it used to be annoying when it auto-downloaded. The XB1 went the opposite way with only claiming before and now auto-downloading, and my 500GB + 1TB external on that is 97% full just from Gold freebies, and

d) I hate using the front USB ports for anything permanent, it looks like poo poo. I am glad the Pro has a back USB port that I use for some USB fans to push hot air out of my TV stand cubby and pull cool air in. So hoping I never have to add on the other external drive because then it will make it look messy.

FireMrshlBill fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Oct 23, 2017

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

FireMrshlBill posted:

I didn't deauthorize anything when I transferred to my Firecuda 2TB. I only have 1 account though. Just copied to my 3TB USB3 drive, swapped drives, installed firmware on new drive via the thumb drive method, then restored from my 3TB drive. It took awhile, but was worth it.

Also:
a) 500GB is not enough if you have a few replayable games (racing game, Madden or Fifa, a FPS of choice, etc.) and then whatever AAA story based game(s) you are working on (especially if you are waiting on DLC for one and don't want to reinstall all the patches in a couple months), then add in indies at 5-20GB a pop, 1TB isn't even enough.

b) If using a SSHD, I would rather have it as the internal drive and move the original HDD to external, right now my original 1TB that came with my pro is set aside while I wanted to make sure my transfer of P.T. went smoothly (even though I won't play it again) and the Firecuda doesn't die since it seems from reviews that it will either die within 6 months or last the normal lifespan of a SSHD; but if the 2TB gets full, then the 1TB will become and external add-on,

c) I am glad they let you claim your PS+ games now without having to download when you go through the console instead of the website, it used to be annoying when it auto-downloaded. The XB1 went the opposite way with only claiming before and now auto-downloading, and my 500GB + 1TB external on that is 97% full just from Gold freebies, and

d) I hate using the front USB ports for anything permanent, it looks like poo poo. I am glad the Pro has a back USB port that I use for some USB fans to push hot air out of my TV stand cubby and pull cool air in. So hoping I never have to add on the other external drive because then it will make it look messy.

You know you can cancel a download, right?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I need a 2tb drive to hold all these giant posts arguing about storage habits

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

You know you can cancel a download, right?

Yep, still annoying.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I'm about to jump in to TLoU multiplayer for the first time ever. Any tips I should know right of the bat? And is anyone up for playing? I have a mic.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

rabidsquid posted:

because there's something wrong with my brain i've wanted to replay FF8 recently too. i think my favorite part about that game is that in order to totally break it you have to do some extremely counter intuitive poo poo, primarily never leveling up and secondarily never healing out of danger

Spamming square to refresh the battle window at low health in order to use constant Limit Breaks is one of my favorite parts of that game.

Bust Rodd posted:

I think the amount of work needed to make that game not look like digital barf is probably substantially higher than any of their other remasters

Also it sucks and everything about it lame and abandoned and they took all the best parts of it and made them into FFX, which was a mega smash hit success and probably carried them into the next console generation

Actually, it's a pretty fun game to play, even today, if you're into Active Time Battle stuff, and its systems have a ton of flexibility for customization.

kirbysuperstar posted:

It's the least critically acclaimed/popular of that era, and probably down there with FF2 overall.

That being said, it's on PS3/P/V and got a re-release on Steam after 7 did (as a touch up of the old Eidos port, same as 7), so hey.

At the risk of kicking the hornet's nest yet again defending a 20 year old JRPG that most on this forum dislike, FFVIII is the second best selling Final Fantasy game of all time. It was critically lauded in its day as a major technical achievement and was incredibly popular during its console generation.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Oct 23, 2017

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Snak posted:

I'm about to jump in to TLoU multiplayer for the first time ever. Any tips I should know right of the bat? And is anyone up for playing? I have a mic.

Interrogation is the best mode. Don't make noise

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Snak posted:

WHAT? :vince:

Holy hell, yeah, we have plenty of tips. Play with Veni Veni Veni and I sometime, thursday or friday nights. We'll show you the ropes!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Interrogation is the best mode. Don't make noise

I've seen some people say this, and while I've had good rounds in Interrogation and Supply Raid, I think the entire multiplayer experience is balanced around Survivors. It feels like the heart of the game.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Oct 23, 2017

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
What faction should I choose?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Snak posted:

one, then the other for the trophies

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Interrogation is the worst mode by a mile imo. At least I never got the appeal. Survivors is the best if you have a team and supply raid is just basically deathmatch but it's fun.

But yeah, me and beanpole still play once a week or so. just hit us up. PSN is Monostat7 if i'm not already on your friends list. I'm not very good at it anymore though lol. Don't play it on weekend late nights the players are loving insanely good.

Choose Hunters because Fireflies are dweebs.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Snak posted:

Hunters. Always Hunters. The Fireflies are a bunch of motherfucking tourists.

tips:

- get good with the revolver
- don't buy armor right before the end of the round only to get it shot off
- play support builds if you suck at shooting (medic/gifting/spotting/reviving)
- try to have a shiv on hand at all times, use Covert 2 while you're a noob, and agility 2 also rocks
- clicking down R3(?) while you aim at someone will mark that person for your entire team, but also expose your position
- try to upgrade your pistol within the first round of every game using parts from the combination of execution/downs/marking/crafting/healing/revives
- when you are crouched behind an object and you have your hand on the wall you are practically invisible
- if your hand isn't touching the wall then someone will be able to see your nametag from the other side
- smoke is incredibly useful for covering team movement, obscuring sniper fire, inhibiting marks, and setting people up for shivs
- if you're not using Covert 2 then don't stick too close to your team mates as you may give their position away
- there are different levels of 'sound' in the game. The Covert 2/3 ability masks visible onscreen sonar 'noise-pools' that show up during Listen Mode. There are other skills that actually mask player-audible footsteps and vaulting noises. Remember that they are distinct from each other.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
How do I upgrade guns?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Touchpad brings up a menu where you can upgrade guns, buy armor, buy purchasable weapons/ammo as well as craft (but you can also craft in game) anything you do in the game earns you parts you can use to buy these various upgrades.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

you buy upgrades from a menu ingame. they're per game iirc so you have to upgrade every round from what you get

the team that's behind gets more stuff so don't worry about not getting anything even if you suck to begin with

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Also the purchasable shotgun is the most op weapon in games history so if you are having trouble killing dudes just use that, although people will probably yell at you.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Aww, thanks for all the tips!

I'm garbage, but at least the shooting feels really good, unlike Fortnite.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Snak posted:

Aww, thanks for all the tips!

I'm garbage, but at least the shooting feels really good, unlike Fortnite.

Remember, the game is as much about stabbing, punching, and bat-swinging as it is about shooting! :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

At the risk of kicking the hornet's nest yet again defending a 20 year old JRPG that most on this forum dislike, FFVIII is the second best selling Final Fantasy game of all time. It was critically lauded in its day as a major technical achievement and was incredibly popular during its console generation.

I'm talking about now. By "of that era", I mean out of 7/8/9.