Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!
Since people want Smart TV talk, how is the input lag on the KS8000 when using HDR? Seems a lot of TVs introduce a lot since they require you to be in a movie setting rather than game setting. Was hoping to wait for the OLED's to drop to the $1500 range in a few years, but just bought a house and the 40" I have for the basement is going to be too small. May go for a 65" KS8000 or the like (though would prefer something in the 70" range).

Would like to get the new tv sooner and upgrade to a PS4 Pro when FF7 remake comes out (hoping for a special edition FF7 PS4 Pro).

edit: Also, i haven't play Bloodborne yet because I wasn't a fan of Dark Souls, but will give it a shot. UC4 is the most "must play" game I have played on the PS4 so far since most of the other games I have enjoyed have been on PC and/or XB1 as well (DQ Builders, DQ Heroes, FF15, GTA5, etc.). UC4 is definitely not overrated.

FireMrshlBill fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jan 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

bloodychill posted:

I respect your taste in games a lot and I want to play it but also my dog is pretty sick and probably won't make it to the summer and I don't want to play a game just now where I'm sure I'll get to see that poo poo play out and bawl my eyes out

I hear that. Last spring I had to have our cat put down and for the rest of the week after we put our daughter to bed and things quieted down, my wife and I were pretty miserable. So to occupy my mind I played the FF15 Platinum demo with the Carbuncle leading/following me around, it reminded me of our cat and was saddening when I finished the demo.

Now I play FF15 and am thinking "where the gently caress is my Carbuncle?" (Only on chapter 3 though I'm over 30 hours in... stupid side quests).

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

the last hour is a masterwork

unrelated: is infamous 2nd son combat supposed to be punishing? i beat first light 2 years ago and never died but i am having to be cheesy and snipe dudes peaking off ledges for like 10 minutes before i can even approach dup command center in this one. maybe i'm playing it wrong.

I haven't even touched First Light since SS turned me off from the series. It wasn't challenging, moreso poorly designed and wonky. They went with the cheap "multiply the enemies and increase their power" to up dofficulty rather than creating different and unique challenges. It was a game I begrudgingly finished even though I was tired of playing about midway through. I dunno, I put it in the category of the later AC or Batman Arkham games, repetitive gameplay and low skill mini quests to waste time on. It seems they can do 2 or 3 decent games before dropping the ball and I feel like I'm wasting time without quality storyline and/or gameplay as a reward.

Wow, rant over. I didn't even know how much that game made me mad until Insaw your comment. I just scroll by First Light in my library every couple months and say "na".

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Housh posted:

Would FF15 be a good first FF? Is the battle system easy enough for someone who plays Dragon Quest VIII?

The combat isn't turn based and is a little clunky. It has more open world elements than previous FF games, and not really representative of previous FF games as far as gameplay goes. However, I like it so far and would rank it pretty high among the others. As far as combat goes, FF10 and older are more like DQ8. So if you want a good RPG to play, go with FF15. If you want your first FF game to be a quintessential FF game, then I'd start with 7, 6, 9 or 4, and the only one on the PS4 is the FF7 port. The FF10 remake is on the PS4 as well and is a decent game, though I wasn't as big of a fan of it as others were.

So, FF15 is a fine first FF game, just don't expect it to be like the others.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

I remember people saying months ago that GameStop accepts broken DS4's (knowingly so they can refurb them, I'm not talking about being a dick and tricking them). Is that still happening? Was it ever true?

I have a broken DS4, and am moving on Sunday so I am at the point of trashing it or if I can any money whatsoever (legitimately, they know it is broken when i trade it in), then I will swing by tomorrow real quick. The left control stick is all wonky, and you will push up and it will jump from going up to down and back, so your character will stop running or will walk when you push it all the way forward instead of run.

Thanks!

GameStop's site says "Trades must be in full working condition to receive full value", I'm fine getting $5 instead of $21 or whatever good ones go for.

FireMrshlBill fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jan 14, 2017

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Neo Rasa posted:

Basically if you bring in a busted up system or a game that's scratched to hell they can still take it but just give you less for it. They're not supposed do that with accessories like controllers, headsets, etc. but the POS will still allow them to so a lot of times the employee will knowingly do it out of reflex/they don't know not to and I can say from having worked at GameStop for ten years that there's no real penalty to the employees or store for doing so. It only takes off a max of $4 for games and accessories (it will take off less if you're trading in a messed up game that's already only worth like $3) so go for it. The absolute most damage you will cause is that if the store manager cares they'll just tell the employee not to take in broken controllers anymore.

If store policy is to not take them, then I won't try to sneak. I just thought that I saw they would knowingly take them and just give you less because they were using various parts to refurbish them.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Neo Rasa posted:

It costs GameStop $00.50 to refurbish a PS4 controller so I wouldn't worry much about it, like I said many employees will knowingly do it, I'm not saying to try to be sly just bring it in and see if they take it even knowing that it's broken.

I took it to them this afternoon and told them it had issues and they gave me $20.50 instead of the $24.50 that you usually get. Picked up another XB1 controller since I only have one (though I play it maybe 1/10th the time I play my PS4).

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

I'm excited for the Switch. Playing Zelda in bed.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Taking a hiatus from gaming for a few months, and then when I start gaming again I'm cutting back on my gaming time severely.

So looking at my PS4 backlog, I'm wondering whether I will really get to all the games and would like input on realistic "must plays".
- Bloodborne
- Nioh
- Life is Strange
- FF Type 0
- Ratchet and Clank
- DQ Heroes 2

and some others.

The first game I will play when I get back from my hiatus is Horizon Zero Dawn (been playing Zelda, so it has been on hold). I didn't really enjoy the Dark Souls games, but didn't really give them the old college try either, so not sure about Nioh or Bloodborne. I didn't beat FF15, though I may at some point and have heard Type 0 is a bad port, not that fun. I enjoyed DQ Heroes 1, but I would have been fine not playing it (rather have a mainline DQ game, though DQ Builders was a lot of fun, though I wasn't a fan of Minecraft).

Horizon and the upcoming Uncharted game are the only PS4 games I am really excited about now. So considering selling off the others since I won't have time to play them all with my planned future gaming schedule (need to spend my time elsewhere in life, mostly family). So really looking just for "must play" level games. I feel like Nioh or Bloodborne are the only ones in that caliber on the list, but with my previous lack of enjoying Dark Souls games, I dunno. Has others not enjoy Dark Souls, but got into those games?

Thanks!

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Harlock posted:

In terms of quality: Bloodborne, Nioh, Ratchet and Clank, Life is Strange, DQ Heroes 2 ,FF Type 0.

I'm not a big Souls game fan, but I'm sure most people would tell you they are the ones you 'should' play. Life Is Strange / Ratchet and Clank / DQ Heroes are all solid games in their respective genre, but I wouldn't say any of them you need to go out of your way to play. Play whatever game you feel like. FF Type 0 is a bad game and probably should be avoided at all costs. This is from someone who finished it.

Thanks, I probably will hold onto Nioh for now, Bloodborne as well. I'll probably keep Rachet and Clank around too since my kids may enjoy watching me play it a bit, rather than some bloody violent game. DQ Heroes as well. Others will go. I think I have given up on playing all the FF games anyway at this point. Maybe just play the FF7 Remake and call it quits on FF.

Ya, my plan is 2-3 story based games a year, and maybe something like Mario Kart here and there. So basically 1-2 games on PS4 and 1-2 on Switch, and not buying any new consoles after. Have too much else going on, and kinda want to curb my gaming before my kids get older, don't want them spending as much time on gaming as I have. And definitely not as much money, haha.

Horizon, Nioh, Uncharted in August, and Rime on the Switch will probably last me until mid-late 2018 at this point.

JBP posted:

I never enjoyed souls games, but I really loved Nioh and still play Nioh. It's fast paced and as unforgiving, but provide you with tools to make the game way easier like magic talismans and ninja skills. Now I'm playing Bloodborne and really enjoying it too, even though I gave up on it early into my first try.

It's very dependent on mood though. If you don't feel like occasionally running into a massive difficulty spike and want a more beer and skittles experience I'd steer clear until you feel like that kind of game.

Thanks, will keep Nioh for after Horizon. May as well keep Bloodborne too since it really isn't worth much to sell anyways. With my goal of reducing down to 2-3 big games a year, and only playing in short sporadic spurts, not sure how much difficulty/frustration i'll want at that point.

FireMrshlBill fucked around with this message at 05:29 on May 29, 2017

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

You'll play the FF7 Remake in 2035 at the earliest if each Episode takes as long as they appear to take

Perfect! both kids should be in college at that point

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

So basically FF7 remake episode 1 and then the PS5 comes out before future episodes are released, kind of a waste of an exclusivity deal just to sell more PS4's right before a new console is released, probably would piss off that customer base too.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

I've decided the PS4 Pro and Switch are my last consoles I purchase for myself as I reduce my gaming time drastically. Any future consoles will be for my kids when they get older.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

I saw that Gamestop had the Uncharted 4 Sony Gold headsets (the gray blue that matched that special edition PS4 console and controller) for $70 while the normal Gold headsets are still $99 there and $85 at Amazon, even the UC4 edition headset is $113 at amazon and more than $70 on ebay. Grabbed a pair to use with my PC (have nice Turtle Beach XP510 for my PS4/Switch/XB1 setup). I am impressed, just been listening to music while I work and they sound decent. No 7.1 VSS on PC unless you use the built in VSS in Windows or a 3rd party app.

Box had the $99 New sticker on it and was dusty, so appears to be unsold stock recalled back to the warehouse and they are just getting rid of them.

Definitely worth the $75 incl. tax that I paid (used a free shipping coupon code). Haven't tested out the VSS on PS4, but they get decent reviews for a $100 price tag, so $70 is even better.

Just figured I'd give a heads up since the matte gray blue looks nice. Made me order a gray blue UC4 edition controller to go along with my PC setup to replace my 360 controller (already using the controller that came with my Pro and a 20th anniversary controller with my PS4, and a white DS4 with my PStv).

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Wow, didn't know I would trigger so many people. Just figured I'd pass along that the nice gray blue UC4 edition are in stock still at GameStop and being sold for less than the standard ones.

veni veni veni posted:

Did you make sure to pick up a roll of duct tape with it?

Haha, I have tons of electrical tape about. I did think about saran wrapping them as a prevention since I don't need them to fold ever and they will hang from a headphone hook on my desk when not in use.

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

here we go again

5 pages of people talking about their pos gold's headband breaking after a week and the rest talking about how it's their dog's chew toy and has lasted fine for five years wtf are you savages doing to your headset

also some people may or may not have a big or small head

Well, I have a pretty big head, so will see how they hold up. Don't intend on folding them up or tossing them around like some people do. As much as I think other people take care of their poo poo, I have seen enough cruddy used controllers and whatnot at thrift shops and out in the wild to know a large chunk of people are gross and abuse their poo poo.

That said, I did have a pair of bluetooth headphones that I literally just put down on my desk to take a phone call from my desk phone and when I picked the headphones back up, the headband was snapped and no amount of tape/glue could get them to hold correctly again enough to keep the left earphone against my ear. So you never know I guess.

homeless snail posted:

Here's the part in the headphone chat where I recommend buying a good pair of headphones and a good mic separately, instead of plasticy gamer junk, okay bye

Been there, done that, it isn't preferable to do. The surround sound on my XP510's sounds much better than stereo on my ATMH50 + mic + headphone/mic splitter from the DS4. I'd gladly pay the $99 I paid for my refurbished XP510's back in the day over using my more expensive headphones and a separate mic. Especially with all the monitoring and noise cancellation that the gaming headphones have for their mic. As well as sound profiles. But, to each their own.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

I actually like them, they just aren't built well. I don't regret paying $100 for them. They just fell to pieces about a week after the warranty was up. Not really even a huge deal if you don't mind them looking super ghetto from being taped up. The headband is just built like poo poo.

Ya, I have read that. Seems like they could have spent $0.10 on extra plastic or something to reinforce the hinge and prevent that.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Holy poo poo, wow. Good hack though. As long as they fit snug, that is all that really matters. I'd definitely be more pissed about these gray blue UC4 ones breaking and having to fix than I would with plain black ones I could just black electrical tape back up.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Have you checked out the PS vita headphones? They were like $10. Went up to$30 or so. Can find them in packaging on eBay for cheap tho iirc

They are really good for the price (I think I paid <$15).

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

E2M2 posted:

I just beat HZD, do I play Metal Gear V or Uncharted 4 next?

Uncharted 4

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Snak posted:

My point was that it's still a huge 50-80 hour game.

If I was planning to play both Uncharted 4 and MGSV, and had just spend 40 hours on HZD, I would spend 15-20. Hours knocking out a linear, storydriven game befire diving back into a giant involved thing. Just for variety.

This.

Just pop that UC4 disc in your PS4 and play that. You can play MGS5 later, same with buying Crash like everyone is recommending. UC4 is a must play either way, so just go play through it and enjoy the story.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Sakurazuka posted:

Lol at anything in first person being better with a controller

Cockpit and hood views on racing games are better with a controller than keyboard and mouse. Though racing wheel is the best.

VR experience is better with motion controllers (and normal controllers even) than kb/mouse

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Just grabbed Dark Souls 3 Fire Fades edition on Amazon Prime day for $29.99 with free same day shipping. They have Skyrim SE for $24.99, but I already have it on PC and if I got it on a console, I would go with the Switch version for some master sword action.

Dualshock 4 controllers are on sale for $39.99 for Prime Day.

PS4 slim UC4 bundle is on sale for $229 for Prime Day.

I tried getting Injustice 2 for $34.99, but it wouldn't add to my cart and the PS4 version shot up to $54 while the XB1 version stayed at $34 when only 8% of the game was claimed. So not sure what that was about.

I may try to get the AC Enzio Trilogy tomorrow and EDF 4.1

Nioh will be tomorrow morning, but I already own it

They will have Tekken 7 tomorrow night, but not really interested myself.

FireMrshlBill fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Jul 11, 2017

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Never played a souls game, how much will I regret that purchase

Thanks for posting the deals.

Looks like only the silver DS4 is $40, and the camo is $48. Seems like they're the latest iteration though

Looks like Nioh might be on sale soon

All of the controllers will go to $39.99 in checkout. As long as they are sold by Amazon. Tempted to grab a gold one, but I already have my 20th anniversary and the one that came with my Pro on my ps4, a white one on my PStv and the Uncharted 4 gray blue one on my PC. No reason to get another, but tempted..

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

revolther posted:

I imagine it's so they can use the cheapest 1x BR drives available. Compared to how much caching and reading of disks was done by previous systems and how the optical drives could be problematic components, they've probably reduced the amount of reads the BR drive does outside of installations to like 10,000 in it's lifetime.

I wonder if they saw their normal PS4 projections and had a bulk order of normal BR drives made, so when the Pro came out, they didn't want to waste their stock and said "screw it" and just kept it the same drive?

They probably knew about the XBoneS before it was publicly announced and that it would have had a 4k drive, so I don't get why they wouldn't have just nipped it in the bud unless there was an even bigger financial hit than the drive itself.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2017/09/13/bruce-straley-director-of-uncharted-2-and-the-last-of-us-is-leaving-naughty-dog.aspx

Bruce Straley is departing Naughty Dog, which pretty much means that TloU 2 represents the swan song of Naughty Dog's 3rd development generation, after Balestra, Richmond, Nate Wells, and Amy Hennig's departure.

Evan Wells remains as pres, but I gather he'll be out after Tlou 2 or at least be looking to Druckman to step up as co-pres, which will likely spell a new direction for the studio.

They'll be alright, they have done well after previous significant turnover, and it sounds like he has been MIA for awhile anyway. UC4 was great, I still have to play LL, but need to beat Horizon first (ya, I am behind). I have heard that LL was still amazing even though it was a B team's baby, so that is promising anyway.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

acksplode posted:

I have DOOM sitting unfinished on my PS4 but I'm already anticipating picking up the Switch port. And people out here wondering how Nintendo could threaten Sony......

I am worried how it will look and perform on the Switch. There was some benefit to going to the PS4 Pro and using boost mode, I cranked the field of view and still felt smoother. Will be interested to see how they pull it off.

KingSlime posted:

why lie we both know my bitch rear end is gonna get skyrim on release for full price

portables are good

I am tempted to as well. Though I skipped the PS4 release since I had it on PC and got the Special Edition for free... saw how crappy it looked compared to mods and then returned to the older version. However, on the Switch... its tempting

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Oh, yeah, I know they'll be alright. It just signals a coming shift in focus, similar to the switch between Crash >> Jak >> UC/TLoU >> ??? eras. Straley was never confirmed to be involved in TLoU 2, but he was co-director for the first game and has been there since the 2nd gen of the studio.

Naughty Dog doesn't have a 'B-Team', to be honest. They only work on one project at a time, with future projects usually spending extensive time in pre-production. Now that LL has launched expect the studio to go all in on TLoU 2 development, though I'd be surprised to see anything solid before GDC. PSX, perhaps, but that feels like a stretch.

They'll cheese it... Crash and Jak have to survive zombies while searching for the lost treasure of Keef the Thief

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

KingSlime posted:

Yeah it's extremely easy for me to justify it since I have yet to play any version of Skyrim.

Obviously a modded version would run absolutely beautifally on my PC in contrast to the switch (and probably play better too) but I can always save that for a future playthrough

Ya, if you don't have a comparison, then the Switch may be the way to go. Tons of people played it on the PS3 and 360, so you know it will be as good as those or better. Plus, the Master Sword. As long as the frame rate is acceptable that is

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Did anyone else get the Dragonball Fighter Z closed beta code?

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Crows Turn Off posted:

Why would you ever play non-Nintendo games on the Switch? All third-party games on the recent Nintendo consoles are by far, without question, the worst version of the games.

Playing a game on the Switch while on the shitter >>> playing a game on the Vita remote play on the shitter

just for the analog sticks alone, plus the sometimes bad mapping of L1/R1 and L2/R2 to the Vita's shoulder buttons and back touch pad

Awesome! posted:

do not try and argue with switch owners about their console. just sit back and enjoy the posts about literally everything being "perfect for the switch"

I love my Switch, but you'd have to be a mouth breather to not admit that it runs games at at much lower specs and fps than you'd get out of a PS4. Because of its portability, I'd rather get things on the Switch, but with stuff like how bad DQ Heroes ran on the Switch, the PS4 is still my main console this gen.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

rabidsquid posted:

i cant wait to play skyrim on the switch because driving is boring as poo poo and i should be able to play skyrim while doing so

This guy gets it

Elephunk posted:

Looking for the cheapest basic PS4 I can find online. Is there anywhere smarter to look than Amazon? I'm wary of buying a used one, not sure what other retailer would compete with Amazon's prices on new ones.

Just search everywhere. I know that Jet.com site used to give you a % or just $30 off your first order. Most places are usually comparable for new prices unless its a glitch (like the free XBone S bundles the other day).

Used isn't a bad way to go if you don't mind an OG PS4 since people upgrade to Pro's. Just be meticulous about finding a decent listing, if they have the original box and say they upgraded to the Pro, then they probably take care of their poo poo. The goon that got my launch PS4 got everything wrapped in their original plastic and twist ties, so just find another anal person like me.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

BonoMan posted:

Goddamn remove the camo and I'd love it. I'm a fan of that military drab. At least you (probably) wont' see the top a lot depending on your setup.

Ya, just the olive drab is sick. The camo looks cheesy. Camo wasn't used much in the Euro campaign since people got confused with German uniforms and were even shot by Allied troops. Even in the pacific campaign it wasn't universal to have camo.

Should have made it just olive or more of a ammo can green wth the white stencil print across the top.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Fil5000 posted:

BUT HOW WILL I FIND THIS IN MY ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE, IT IS GOING TO BLEND IN SO WELL

Your state's department of fish and game has rules on how big of an area needs to be covered in a neon orange

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

Mobile gaming rarely appeals to me, i like to zone in and sink into my games. I owned a PSP and a 3DS pretty much to just play Kingdom Hearts and the small God of War games, but the idea of playing Doom '16 like on the subway to school or whatever sounds AWFUL

poptart_fairy posted:

I have a deeply irrational attachment to Hero Clicker on my phone, but mobile gaming has never appealed to me as a general rule. I like to be settled somewhere comfy in my home for it - can't imagine going out, say, camping and still bringing all my electronics with me.

I was luke warm on handheld gaming and only played a handful of games on the handhelds I did buy over the years (maybe 90/10 or even 95/5 ratio console to handheld play time). Until I had kids. Now a large chunk of my gaming time is the 5 minutes I can lock myself in the bathroom. Handhelds are great!

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Liver Disaster posted:

Does the switch get better battery life than the vita now? Because that was a constant complaint about the Vita. Figured I'd ask in this, the Nintendo Switch thread.

Depends on the game. Better than OG Vita i think, but around the same time as the Slim. More demanding games drop it significantly (its 3 hours for games like Zelda, and 6 hours for indies).

Its pretty typical range for gaming handhelds, especially if you compare the Vita, Switch, Shield portable, etc.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Iron Crowned posted:

Is the Vita any good? My living situation for a little while might make it not a bad idea if I can play the PS4 in a different room at times.

The Vita is great. Remote play can be spotty depending on your connection and house arrangement (it can direct connect to the PS4, but then things like walls, other networks, and whatnot could be an issue).

My biggest complaint with remote play is the control scheme sometimes. Because the Vita only has one set of shoulder buttons, the others are assigned to the touch pad on the back. Some games have optimized remote play control schemes, but not all.

Also FPS are a paint to play on the Vita, for me at least.

Other than that, remote play is great. There is also the PStv, that with a DS4 is great if your network/etc handles it with little lag.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Liver Disaster posted:

So three hours for the games people are going to claim they play all the time on the go.

I like the vita, don't buy it if there isn't a decent list of games you'd like to have on the go. I have two so I don't have to swap memory cards. Remote play is really nice, most games have default touch settings that work well but you can change them to suit you. There is a little lag but I used to do savage/raids in ffxiv on mine and did fine so it's not that bad.

Ya, it may be 3.5 under normal conditions, and if you drop brightness all the way, put it in airplane mode and don't crank the volume, you may get closer to 4. And that is continuous play, its very efficient in standby with a game paused. Not great, but not bad either. The heat dissipation and on-board fan alone zaps a bunch of battery. About the same as a Shield Portable, considering that is the closest handheld spec-wise. People also use power banks to charge it on the go.

Ya, the more AAA games may not appeal to most people, but there are some great ones. The indie support is amazing and its easy to fill up a 64GB memory card pretty quick off of PS+ freebies alone. While my Vita splits workload with my 3DS and Switch, I'd replace it in a heartbeat if it broke.

FireMrshlBill fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Sep 14, 2017

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Pablo Gigante posted:

I always forget about the Remote Play Mac/PC app, that's maybe an even better solution because it lets you use a DS4 so the controls aren't constrained

Just have to buy the official Sony bluetooth receiver to use it, or plug it in via USB cable. Can't just use your computer's bluetooth or DS4Windows (so I just plug it in). However, the quality and lag I had with my PC wasn't tolerable, so I ended up picking up an Uncharted edition matte blue for a decent deal. Was using the matte blue UC4 PS Gold headset and a matte blue DS4 on my PC anyway. Have both the PS4 and PC on my monitor. Also, I realized after I sold my launch PS4 that I had in my basement after I got the pro, that I wanted the second PS4 to play Gran Turismo when it came out so I don't have to lug my racing wheel setup up and down the stairs.

I really wish Sony let you keep a game disk in one PS4, and if you play on a second PS4 with the same account, you should be able to authenticate the game over the network and play on the second PS4 without having to take the disk with you. Just lock the first PS4 while the second one is playing the game. My current network setup isn't great for remote play on my PStv or PC. I need to run some ethernet cables in my house, because my ethernet over power adapters don't have good enough bandwidth, and wifi is spotty depending on what others are doing at the time.

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Same but also same. I am not even sure what the unofficial xbox thread is because it's mostly just making fun of the thing. Switch thread is just the same circle jerk. Well, both are. Then again we bicker about mundane things here for pages .

The Vita thread is just an Anime porn thread 80% of the time. So I kinda of just think of the PS4 thread as the Sony gaming thread in general. Vita remote play and cross save between Vita and PS4 games keeps it relevant too.

FireMrshlBill fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Sep 14, 2017

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Attitude Indicator posted:

Isn't ff7 available on ps4?

Yep, its on pretty much every Sony console/handheld and PC. The PC and PS4 are based on the same build with higher res in mind. The rest are just the PS1 version.

I did a comparison and fired up my PSone connected to a PVM (so RGB), PS2 connected to a CRT via component, PS3 on my HD TV, PS4 on my other HDTV, PC, PSP and Vita to play FF7 at the same time on all of them to see which is best.

PC/PS4 looks the best (for obvious reasons), followed by Vita & PSone on a PVM (better screens and/or output quality), followed by PSP, followed by PS2 on my CRT, and then my PSN copy on my PS3 looked like poo poo.

FireMrshlBill fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Sep 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

I've used both quite a bit and I can't see much of a difference. The LCD looks really nice and I prefer the sleeker design. The OLED probably looks a little better but I really had to stack them side by side to see any difference at all. Overall I'd say the differences between the two Vitas are so marginal it's splitting hairs.

Also, vita 2000 doesn't use proprietary charging which is a huge plus.

Ya, the LCD on the 2000 looks great still. People overreact when comparing it to the OLED. If you don't hold them next to each other, you will be happy with the Slim's screen, maybe unless you had an OLED that you used for years that died and got used to the color saturation. Some people even prefer the Slim thinking the OLED looks too saturated.

Plus the Slim gets better battery life (I think 2 hours extra or so) and micro usb as you mentioned. Though the OLED version feels a little sturdier build-wise since it isn't plastic like the Slim. But the slims buttons have a slightly better tactile feel.

You hear people say the Slim has better speakers... others say the OLED... some say original Slim speakers were good but later versions weren't, so who knows.

The battery is what sold me on the Slim since I held off on the Vita until they sold the Slim's Borderlands 2 bundle.

They both do remote play... so that is all that really matters, PS4 on the can