Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

This could get emotional...

Feenix posted:

Man, I do not loving understand For Honor.

I get that I'm supposed to block where the indicator says. Ok, no problem. So I do that a bit and then a viking does his throw move where he runs me back on his shoulder and throws me on the ground and then it's game over. I just don't understand. Either they don't explain poo poo on how to play, or their game is just a "pick the one beast character, hope for best..."

It's frustrating because at it's core this could be something good. Instead it just makes me mad to have some fuckstick beat up on me helplessly.

There's a HOW TO PLAY option on the main menu, where it has tutorials that teach you stuff like how to counter throws. It also has a bunch of videos explaining each class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

I've played on PC for the 2 previous For Honor alpha/beta tests, but tried PS4 for the current one and the netcode seems fine to me on the PS4, whereas every game in the previous tests it was either laggy as hell or the host would disconnect etc.

I'm in the UK and every time I've lost a fight it's because I hosed up, not because of lag or netcode, stuff like countering guard breaks all works fine, and I've been playing the new assassin style character that relies on dodging into attacks to counter with no real issues, just had to learn the timings on the other guys attacks.

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

verbal enema posted:

I'm going to assume that's considered cheating by Sony so don't so that right?

Dang

It's only considered cheating by other people playing the games, you're not going to get a ban or in trouble in any way shape or form for using it.

I played shooters on PC for years and hate playing FPS with a pad so I bought a XIM, used it for battlefields, overwatch, CoD and other stuff without issues.

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Blizzard will get mad at you if you use a XIM to play Overwatch

They might get mad but there's nothing they can actually do about it as it stands, as far as I'm aware

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

For honor is great, I played in the alpha, closed beta and then open beta and went from not really interested to pre order over that period.

There is a lot of depth to the combat and despite it being p2p connections I've never really seen laggy matches (I'm in the UK).

The dual battles are really intense and if you want something more casual you can jump into the 4v4 battlefield hold the area type modes. People saying it's a moba-like are talking poo poo, there's literally one control point out of three points on a map you have to hold, in one game mode out of 4(?) that involves killing fodder to get your fodder to hold that point.

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

Feenix posted:

UnfortunateSexFart (And anyone else who was hot on For Honor...)

This is not a callout. Just a genuine curiosity...
a week later, how do you feel on For Honor?

I gameflyed it but haven't even taken it out of it's mailer in 6 days because NIOH SO loving GOOD (and also I'm a dad with limited time...)

The souls series of games + bloodborne are probably my favourite game series ever.

I started Nioh and it is undoubtedly awesome, but it has been temporarily shelved because grouping up with 3 of my friends and throwing people off ledges, into spikes and lava and other assorted activities have been the funnest times I've had in a MP game in a long time, and I've played all the CoD's, Battlefields, Titanfall, Vermentide, Space Hulk Deathwing, Overwatch, Killing Floor 2 and many other games across PC and PS4.

Getting in on the early days of a game like this are the best, compared to a mainly single player experience like Nioh that I can go back to any time.

In other words it's great and a week in I'm enjoying it more now than I was a week before.

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

I'm playing through both Horizon and Zelda at the moment. I work away in the week and play Zelda on my switch while in the hotel, but when I'm home at the weekend I'll play Horizon over Zelda any chance I get to take over the TV. I'm just at the point of the story where I'm finding out about 'zero dawn' and it's got me hooked, whereas I'm 2 dungeons in in Zelda and as far as I can tell it's just going to be more of the same with minimal actual storytelling, just make your own fun stuff.

Controversial opinion?

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

hey so i've been playing through yakuza 0 and at various points it keeps saying something along the lines of "at some point in the story you can swap between characters at the phone in your hideout" or something. when exactly is this point because i'm at like chapter 14 now and i still haven't done it yet

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

is there a new game plus or anything because i feel like i've been missing out on a lot of stuff to see where the story goes?

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

okay cool because in the early chapters i feel like i was trying out a lot of the stuff like baseball and karaoke but as the story progressed i felt a kind of urgency to keep going and forget about all that stuff. as such i've hardly unlocked any moves and there's loads of abilities locked behind some kind of mesh wall still

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

2016 LG OLEDs are amazing if you don't mind spending a bit more, they also have HDR game mode now so the display lag is pretty good too. Can often find good deals on them these days.

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

I slept through the sony presentation, started at bloody 2 am here. Is there any new stuff thats available to download now? I gathered there's a MvCI demo, anything else?

Hyped for monster hunter on ps4

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

Trojan Kaiju posted:

How did things go with The Last Guardian fetch?

The last guardian was one of the best games of 2016 (?). if you are a normal human being who has ever owned a pet of the cat or dog type, and played through the entire game, slowly earning trico's trust until the finale, there is no better ending to a game and it genuinely almost made shed an actual human tear.

Yeah the controls might not be super sharp but you're controlling a clumsy kid, and the animation is top notch. If you actually pay attention to trico you can pretty much always understand what it's thinking, and people who complain about the AI not instantly doing what you want it to have obviously never owned and felt the love of an actual living pet.

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

Loved my dog. The ending was really nothing special, aside from the almost comical amount of brutality inflicted on Trico himself.

I find it hard to believe you went through the entire game with your dogcatbird bro trico, and didn't feel anything for him whatsoever by the time the ending rolled around. If say you that infact, that was the case, either you have a heart of stone and are incapable of human emotion, or you didn't actually play the game all the way through, watched the ending on YouTube and are infact full of poo poo.

Bad Parenting fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jun 14, 2017

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

You've got mental issues, friend.

I've been assessed by a team of top doctors who all agree I'm of sound mind, however they also said that you sound like massive douchbag who uses lovely, derogatory slurs and should probably just stick to playing CoD and Gears of War.

Good day to you!

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

I can't wait to buy and play monster hunter on ps4, switch and probably pc as well because why the hell not

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

So my friend bought a PS4 and gave me his PS3 for 30 bucks. I have eighty PS Plus games and I'm buying Demon's Souls. What exclusives that aren't available on PS4 should I grab I'm not thinking of?

Not an exclusive but Vanquish if you didn't play it last gen or don't have a pc

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

This forum/thread will give you a completely warped perspective of what games are successful. NBA 2k17, FIFA, Ghost Recon, etc are huge. Goon favs like Soulsborne, Nier, Hitman, Yakuza, Persona etc. are a blip on the radar in comparison.

successful != good

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

Going back to the backward compatibility chat from before, what's the best way to play God Hand these days? I have a ps3, ps4, vita and a PC.

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

I dunno what you guys do with your headsets that make them bust apart but I've had a set of the gold's since they were released and they are in the same fully functioning state they were in when I took them out of the box 3(?) years or so ago.

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Paladins is a shameless and disgusting attempt to cash in on overwatch.
The other two are Ok

Paladins was in development at roughly the same time as overwatch and some of the similar characters and abilities showed up in Paladins first.

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

Some people in this thread that can't tell the difference between 1080p / 4k and HDR/SDR must have broken eyes and/or brains. Or a TV that doesn't properly display HDR.

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

Yakuza Kiwami is out next month

e: also looking forward to matterfall, absolver, new wolfenstein and shadow of war this year

Bad Parenting fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jul 13, 2017

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

The story of horizon was pretty slow at the beginning when it's all tribal politics but it really picks up once you start getting into discovering why the world is the way it is. It's one of the few games I felt compelled to listen to every audio log and read all the lore fluff on every collectable

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

I'm old and I still like physical media. I was watching Planet Earth 2 on UHD Blu-ray today and it looks so much better than anything you can stream at the moment.

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

Hopper posted:

I am a PC gamer, last PS I owned was a PS2, now I am building a small library of PS4 games while waiting for a good offer on the Pro.

What are the 5 good exclusives for the PS4? (Already played through Uncharted: A thiefs End that when dogsitting for my sister last winter, which is what got me interested in the PS4)
Please don't suggest JRPGs, I am not a JRPG person.

1. Horizon
2. Bloodborne
3.?
4.?
5.?

Yakuza 0, The Last of Us, Nioh, The Last Guardian

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

The Last Guardian was awesome but only if you aren't in a rush to blast through it ASAP, trico actually behaves like an animal and won't instantly do what you want it to do. That can be frustrating at times but I enjoyed it a lot overall, and the ending was really good

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

WaltherFeng posted:

The time I played The Last Guardian (Haven't finished) I enjoyed more when I was playing with my friend who knew the game well. I didn't necessarily enjoy the puzzle aspects, just the overall style, pacing and atmosphere. It's definitely the kind of game I'd just enjoy watching and talking about.

Yeah if there was any particular section I was stuck on for more than 5 mins I looked up how to progress in a walkthrough. It can be hard to tell if you're doing the wrong thing completely, or trico is just being trico at times

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

Is anyone playing it right now? I'm wondering how the performance is on PS4, does it run at 30 or 60 fps? I might grab it on steam if it's the former.

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

Pro users can get 60fps in Performance Mode scaled down to a lower resolution (I'm guessing 1080p) or 30fps @ 1440p. PSPoor just gets the 30fps.

I'm playing it on Steam and with a 980ti and i5 I get a consistent 45-55fps @1440p on Very High settings. You definitely need a pretty good system to max out everything on PC.

Thanks for the info, I might get it on PC then, splurged on a 1080ti recently and it would be nice to give it something to stretch its legs on.

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

Reporting on TLG:

Goddamn how to you develop a game for 10 years and gently caress up something as basic as character movement ? You have the option between tiptoeing at a snail's pace or spazzing around like a kid on a sugar rush with absolutely nothing in between, talk about enjoying the atmosphere and the scenery ! I get that you're actually playing a kid but gosh that's still a really dumb thing to screw up.

I dunno, I never found the movement to be that much of an issue, it felt like I was controlling a kid rather than a ninja or soldier or whatever other highly trained dude who should have pixel perfect precision, and none of the platforming is that taxing either.

The camera was a bit of a pain at times but not enough to ruin my enjoyment.

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

Guillermus posted:

A code for another friend:
577D KJNJ EH9*

Took this one, thanks.

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

Is absolver out yet? If so anyone got any thoughts on it?

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

Haven't played for a while but I'm sure battlefield 1 runs at a solid 60fps, on the pro at least

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

Bombadilillo posted:

Citation needed. But its supposed to be locked at 30 on PC. Sooooooooooo

Pretty sure no one has ever said it's gonna be locked at 30 on pc, just that they are targeting a stable 30 on consoles.

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

Bombadilillo posted:

There's sources in the MH thread. But I ain't got time for that right now.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3783088
There's the thread.

I read the MH thread from time to time and the jist of that thread recently seems to be it's running on the same engine as Dragon's Dogma and a few other games and none have been locked to 30 and some support 144Hz + frame rates.

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

going back to the vr talk, but i honestly thing the majority of vr naysayers are people who have never tried it. i took the jump on psvr and it led to me buying the rift for my pc. for me vr is not something that will replace normal non-vr gaming, but something else entirely. literally every friend i have (4) that tried vr bought the headset within a month. some nights after a long day at work i just want to liberate the galaxy and have fun times in heat signature, chilling out and having a good time sat in front of the tv/monitor, but other times when i feel slightly more energetic i'll slap on the psvr for some trippy polybius times or jump around to a bit or gorn or rez on the pc/rift the experence is really nothing like anything you can get on a normal flat screen sat on your fat rear end. open your minds goons

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

I never played dragon's dogma on ps3 but i've got over 100 hours in the pc version on steam, by the end i was playing some broken magic archer build that just obliterated everything with homing missiles or i could climb all over monsters and stab them in their eye(s) with daggers. one of my fav games ever and i'll probably pick it up on ps4 again even though there's so much other awesome stuff coming out this month

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

Yep, but it's a great game and i'll buy it on every platform i own in the hope that one day they will make a sequel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

How's the dragon's dogma performance on a slim? 60fps? Are there any improvements on the pro?