Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Hello.

Our dvd player died so we decided to buy a ps4 instead of just another player. I've never owned a console before besides an atari 2600, and I haven't owned a gaming capable pc for about 10 years either.

I got Fallout 4 from the library and the controls kind of made me dizzy and were slow, so I think that's better played on a PC. Are there any games for both that are better played on a PS4?

Also if theres any advice for a new console owner, I have no idea wtf I'm doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Jose Oquendo posted:

Check out Doom. It controls really well on console. You won't feel handicapped at all.

This is a hard one because I have a lot of good pc memories, but fortunately the library has a copy I can try. :)

Dewgy posted:

Don't forget to get a memory card and rumble pak, they're essential for the experience.

I'm pretty sure this is a joke.

Real hurthling! posted:

You need tetris effect and nex machina

Doctor Zero posted:

Get horizon zero dawn and be amazed.

e: and Spider-Man

Noted! :)

I already got the big KH pack because I've always wanted to play it, and Spider-man and RDR2 are on the list.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Escobarbarian posted:

Try God of War (2018) too. What kind of games did you like when you were a PC player?

So embarrassing. Mostly I have cravings to play Diablo 2, original Tomb Raider, Zoo Tycoon, or old stuff like Star Control and Wing Commander 1.

Also Simcity 2000, Simcopter, original Doom, Halflife, Duke3d, Wolfenstein.

Tons of other stuff has come out since that I've really wanted to try. The aforementioned Doom16, Portal 2, Bioshock, Mass Effect. So many many things.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Thanks everyone for your advice!

Another question:

Our tv is 46" but it was hd early days, so we didn't get it. How big of a difference does it make, and is the op suggestion still current?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Doctor Zero posted:

How “early days”? How much are you willing to spend?

1080P is bare minimum. The good news is you can get big 1080P TVs very cheap now a days. (Hell if you’re in the Boston area I’ll give you one for free if you come get it). If you are cost conscious, I’d go as big as you can fit and 1080p, personally. Big screens are the poo poo yo.

Now, if you have the money I absolutely think 4K with HDR would be a massive jump and would pretty much make your head asplode but you’re looking at $1500-$2000 depending on how big you want to go.

Man this thread moves fast.

In checking, our tv is 1080p but I also discovered it's only 40".

I think I convinced my wife to upgrade to a 65" and I also hope to sell her on a 2018 Qled from Samsung. We'll see this evening!

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Real hurthling! posted:

Qleds have bad image quality from an angle so make sure if you get one you are going to have all seating right in front of it.

Thanks! Our living room is basically designed to have a tv and a couch, so we're set. I think I also read last night that the 2018s are a little better about that, but we're definitely going to look at all those things. Mostly my worry is input lag, but the 2018s are supposed to have a special refresh rate setting that fixes that too.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
For the record, we got a 65" Samsung Qled q9n and I've been holding off starting rdr2 because it'll arrive tomorrow. A few people have been down on it but I hope it's actually a good game?

I know oled is awesome, but our tv is in a sun drenched room so the added brightness should help.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

I'm looking forward to Bloodborne ever since I saw it in the Video Games exhibit in the Victoria & Albert museum. They were using it to showcase how they use different effects to manipulate your emotional response.

Goonswarm was also featured, but not by name.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
So this is one of the AVs you can pick from the list.

Does anyone know what game she's from or is she just something the PS4 people made up?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

veni veni veni posted:

Hm interesting story

ah yeah glad I listened to that

Ok I'm gonna gookay you are still talking

yup

yup

yup

allright you stopped talking for 5 seconds I guess it's...

...oh you're not done talking yet.

I have started rdr2 and I want to straight up murder Dutch because of his weird paranoid/hopeful rants.

Yes, Dutch, I will betray you in the end, given a chance.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I am enjoying the pants off of RDR2. I found an old pirate hat swimming between some islands and now people are making fun of me for wearing it.

I robbed some guy of a treasure map and figured the clues out without looking online.

I do wish every store didn't just sell the same things, and they could have been more subtle than a red locked symbol for things you're not allowed to have yet. There is definitely room for improvement all around.

But it's so much fun!

Thus far, my attempts to make it to the other side of Blackwater have been unsuccessful.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
More rdr2 complaints despite the fact it is one of my favourite games ever.

1. I can pet a dog, but I can't have a dog.

2. I can't even pet a cat.

3. I can't butcher either of the above and also horses. (I'm assuming with cats because I can't bring myself to experiment.)

4. There's a landmass I could reach by swimming, but I hit an invisible wall. Couldn't they have made impassable cliffs instead?

5. There's no visible metric that my bringing home animals has any effect whatsoever on the hunger index.

6. Can't steal living farm animals and add them to the camp.

7. Cant hogtie hogs.

The game is within spitting distance of perfection which makes the flaws more glaring.

I got DooM from the library but the controls feel so imprecise and the games so intense that I had to go back to exploring rdr2 for a few hours to regain my chill.

I have yakuza 0 coming next.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Sorry, I keep skipping pages and pages because the thread is fast and I'm busy playing rdr2 still.

gently caress fishing forever. I don't care about completion. I spent 30 minutes reeling in a fish and wearing out my right hand and it turns out it isn't even the legendary. No more.

Also, besides fishing, I think I have completely exhausted all the content before I absolutely have to go see Micah in his camp outside Strawberry. His mission is really fun, but I hated having in camp so much I reverted to a previous save soon after.

I feel like a fool for nearly drowning swimming to all the islands when boats became easily available at the very beginning of Chapter 3. And the iguana island where I got my awesome hat is directly next to camp.

Kind of proud though, too.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I got Horizon Zero Dawn from the library and am enjoying it so much I wish I'd paid for it. Still might.

However, why the gently caress can't I buy herbs in town? Nothing I like better than putting off the next mission for 30 minutes while I scrounge up herbs.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

mastershakeman posted:

Try to find the complete edition on sale somewhere. There's a few games with excellent dlc making it worth not renting/borrowing and that's one of them (bloodborne is the other)

For some reason I thought I had the Complete Edition, but it looks like maybe I don't? If I buy it now, will I get to continue with my save? It says I've put 70 hours in so far...

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

mastershakeman posted:

Save transfer over, complete edition is just base + frozen wilds dlc. At 70 hrs in you might have the complete - have you been to frozen wilds and fought scorchers and bears? Or easier to tell, do you have the skill tree labeled Traveler? The base game just has prowler, brave and forager.

I've done none of those things. As soon as I realised there was more content I decided that even if the save doesn't transfer I could go through the beginning story more organically. Fairly certain I shouldn't have been able to corrupt everything before Maker's End. Ordered, just waiting for the store to tell me I can pick it up.

I was impressed the game had dialogue ready for my already having collected all the machine data points.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Ok, I'm approaching the end of Horizon Zero Dawn and I don't think I have much RDR2 to go either. Please recommend me something kind of similar so I can continue mainlining dopamine directly into my brain.

I've tried the various flavors of Souls games and find them extremely stressful.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
What does the title mean?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I also just started Yakuza 0 but I literally cannot do karaoke. Should I continue?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

man nurse posted:

It's pretty much optional except for like one or two story points where you can fail it anyway.

This was my primary concern. I've continued on and now I'm wondering why a clown just gave me a ton of valuable stuff.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Wolfsheim posted:

Okay so I was finishing up some Yakuza 0 sidequests before moving onto a different game and how the gently caress is 'soy sauce face' the opposite of 'sauce face'

Oh my God I just came here to post this. Actually, I think it's 'sauce face' that makes no loving sense.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Yakuza 0: why am I tutoring a dominatrix in a children's playground?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Bust Rodd posted:

Because apparently a huge part of this series wacky charm is a near constant barrage of weird sexual subthemes

Someone behind the scenes definitely has a thing for balloons.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I have a choice of Witcher 3 or Far Cry Primal to follow up Yakuza 0 and horizon zero Dawn. Please advise.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Samuringa posted:

Far Cry Primal isn't anyone's choice

I got it from the library based on a "I finished HZD, now what?" list.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I'm a bit into Witcher III (haven't fought the griffon yet), and it feels a bit clunky and I suck at killing things. Have I been spoiled by H:ZD and RDR2? Do I just need to get a bit further?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Playing Witcher 3 as advised and just reached the city. The game's really making me feel like I should have read the books or played the previous games :(

How much more would I be enjoying things if I had?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I have finished Witcher 3 after 179 hours, burning the candle at both ends, getting less than 3 hours of sleep some days. I want more, but will have to settle for Spider-man arriving today.

Favorite moments:

1. Suddenly, a cow
2. Dawning comprehension at the Mancomb insult fight.

Cons: horses, gwent, the hood on grandmaster feline armour.

Also: I didn't like Yennifer from the very first moment, but the game still made me feel like I kicked a puppy when I got rid of her.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

lordfrikk posted:

I think you made a mistake by dumping Yennefer, their story just makes so goddamn sense, warts and all. I was a Triss fan, playing the first and second game, but going with her didn't feel right at all in Witcher 3.

I've never played the other games or read the books. Yennefer treats him very badly, while Triss was very supportive and nice to everyone. I'm probably only ever going to play the game once, so yes, I'm going with the perky redhead 100%.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Oxxidation posted:

triss' apologetic, altruistic behavior is partly because over the course of the last two games she took advantage of an amnesic geralt by telling him that she was his old flame and not yennefer, while also inadvertently kicking off the mage pogroms in her misguided efforts to protect her fellow sorceresses

there's baggage

Ok, well this does shift things around some. Too late now, but at least I know she loves me enough to be a total psycho about it. :wink:

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Also, the lighthouse sex scene was really funny.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
:ohdear:

I'm not following this :spidey: tutorial at all. Everythings going so fast and I don't know what's happening when I press x while swinging and they told me the combat things once and then people were shooting so I just hit square an X a bunch of times and now I'm dead.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
How long do you give a game before giving up? Does the number change if it was free?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

BisterdDave posted:

:same:

Although sometimes I can be bored with a game and only play a little bit, only to come back to it months later and be completely enthralled.

This is what gives me pause. I almost gave up on Witcher 3, but forced myself to continue and ended up absolutely loving it. I'm thinking about setting a limit where I have to play for like 3 or 6 hours before giving up.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Wolfsheim posted:

Its worth noting that HZD's legendarily bad cutscene wasn't really inaccurate because most of the sidequests in the game are absolutely mediocre, it's just that the core premise of bowfighting robot dinosaurs in beautiful lush wilderness is cool as gently caress.

HZD had a bad cutscene?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Vikar Jerome posted:

to be fair, the awesome and incredibly gay john barrowman said during a talk show (think it was ross, uk) he only said that line, that wasnt in the script, to make the actress laugh because she had been down/bad mood or something like that, if i recall, since the scene had ended and the production left it in the film without telling him.

themoreyouknow.gif

It was actually because the director asked him to get any kind of an emotion out of the actress, who had been entirely wooden.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Ok, so with Spider-man I read somewhere that street crime increases in difficulty as you go through the game. Are there certain missions that act as checkpoints? That is, what events make things harder when you complete them?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Today in :spidey: I couldn't rescue someone from a burning car until a pigeon flew more than 200m away.

Also, I really suck at catching them.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
:spidey: update: :asoiaf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Lobok posted:

That could apply to several things. What part are you at?

The entire sequence starting with Rikers, then the Raft, Sinister Six, but mostly the state of the city post that cutscene.