Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

I just finished The Last Guardian. The game didn't grab me at first the way Ico or SotC did, but about hairstyles through I couldn't put it down and the finale was really amazing and upsetting - stop hurting my buddy, you evil bird dogs!. I loved it. I don't think I've ever bonded with a game character the way I did with Trico. They did an amazing job of giving him a personality and reinforcing the bond between the boy and the Beast.

My only complaints: I kept over thinking puzzles, which is part of what slowed me down. Once I started looking it up if I got stuck too long it got better, but sometimes I had a hard time figuring out what I could interact or climb or what I could get Trico to jump to. Second, I had multiple deaths from jumps that I thought were fine but were a little bit off. That got old. Third, it was hard to let go of Trico or the other Beast that attacks you and I kept getting stuck on them when I didn't want to.

Best parts of the game : the little dance the boy does when you call Trico, petting Trico, feeding Trico, using Tricos LASER TAIL on the statue robots. So cathartic!

My wife got into it near the end but was really disappointed when Trico flew away instead of becoming part of the village, and when the post credits scene didn't have little baby Tricos show up. She wanted it to be cuter.

I don't know when I'll play it again, but I'm going to keep it, the way I'd keep a really great book on my book shelf.

Are there plans to release Ico in any way for the PS4?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I jumped on that right away. I loved Arkham Asylum but only got to play it once by borrowing someone's ps3 so having the whole trilogy for $20 is a big fat yes.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I picked up a PS4 in March thanks to a tax return, along with Little Big Planet 3, Neir Automata, The Last Guardian and HZD.
LBP3 was pretty disappointing, but everything else was amazing, and with the sales this month I got a bunch of games I've been itching to play for much cheaper than expected.

I never had any interest in an Xbox. I owned a PS2, then a Wii, then a 3DS, then the PS4. I know the 3DS isn't technically a console, but it was my main way of playing games until I lost it on a plane.
I chose a PS4 over a Switch because of the backlog of games, including PS3 rereleases I'd missed out on, the older games being so cheap, and Kingdom Hearts 3 coming out in the vague future, because I'm a sucker for that series.

I'm renting Monster Hunter World because I've heard good things about it. I got through the first two missions and am exploring the forest, but so far it's not grabbing me. Does the combat get more interesting than wacking the monster a bunch? I thought this game had monsters with weak points and disableable attacks or something, similar to HZD. Am I barking up the wrong tree? Is this just the grindiest game for those who like to grind?

Do I need PS plus to get the most out of this?

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I finally got my hands on Bloodborne, very excited to hunt vampire squid from outer space. I picked the saw as my starting gear. I died to the initial werewolf and then did ok with weapons until I got to a big guy with an axe. I love all the guys lying down or hiding, the game definitely requires you to pay attention.

Any tips for my first time through? I know being aggressive is vital but beyond that I'm not sure how to handle things. I never played any Souls games. How do I parry?

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I rented Bloodborne to see if it was worth all the hype. The last couple of days I got stuck at the Central Yarham lantern, trying to fight my way through that giant huddle of hunters around the bonfire. I kept killing EVERY. LAST. ONE. and then moving forward and getting ganked by a troll or a werewolf or one of the stupid dog packs ganging up on me. I was about ready to call it quits and return the game, this loop I was stuck in was SO frustrating, and then this morning, I decided to try just running past 90% of that big group of hunters. Wow! So much easier! And then I found the other side of the gate next to the Central Yarham lantern and opened that shortcut up, and then I found my way to some sewers and found a Madman's Knowledge and now I can level up and then I ran away from some weird corpse-zombie things and got killed by a giant pig in a tunnel and I love this stupid game. :bloodborne:

I was looking at the PSN sale. I remember hearing...something? about Trine. Is that any good? The trilogy is on sale for ~$10.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

You’re at the point where I thought I was liking it and getting the hang of it. Give it to the first boss before you make a definite decision.

Having trouble gathering the will to play Y0 again not because I don’t like it but because it’s just very slow. I swear I could finish entire novels in the time it takes to pan down to characters at the beginning of certain cutscenes, and as a fast reader I like to skip through the parts once I’ve read the subs, but it’ll frequently not allow me to until a character has spent 10 full seconds walking across a room or whatever. It really brings out my impatience, especially because I know how long the game is.

I got to the Cleric Beast and beat it on the first try, and now I'm getting stuck on Father Gascione's second form. I have no problem with his first form, but the second is just SO fast and SO aggressive, I keep getting stun-locked into oblivion. I can parry his human form all day, but I miss the timing on the Beast form and don't get a second chance.

Did you get stuck on the first boss and call it quits? I'm not crazy about the run to the boss door (it's not TERRIBLE, it's just a little tedious) but I think with more practice and, if all else fails, grinding up some extra levels will get me through him, and I am really enjoying the boss fight up until the point where he transforms, and I loved exploring the rest of Central Yharnam. The other enemy encounters have been challenging, but nothing as awful as the bonfire crowd, and I'm getting a better sense of when to attack and when to dodge and when to just run the hell away.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

No, I didn't get a music box anywhere.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I beat Father Gascoigne by the skin of my teeth, very intense and frenetic damage race there at the end. You stop to heal and you'll EAT IT! Thanks for the tip about the music box. That sidequest was really depressing...I saw the item on the roof where you fight Gascoigne, grabbed it, and :smith: Then I returned it to the little girl, expecting some kind of reward, and :negative:

I got through a chunk of the Cathedral ward without too much trouble, got ganked by a werewolf, explored a different path, beat the really big giant with the axe, then got ganked by messing up parry timing on one of the smaller giants with a brick. I like this game! It is really spooky and unnerving, and it's amazing how moving from Central Yharnam, which had become familiar and predictable, to a new area brings back that initial sense of fear and anxiety. You have no idea what's waiting for you and it'll probably kill you before you can react.

Also I got a top hat!

If I save up and buy the version that comes with the DLC, will my save carry over? I'm going to return this, I've got other games I want to finish and I'd like to own BB so I can take my time with it. The challenge is fun, but doing it with the time limit of a rental, not so much. If I'm going to play this game I NEED the DLC. I need some of that Shadow over Innsmouth goodness in my Vampire+HP Lovecraft horror.

Shoot, I'd love to see a Souls style sci-fi/horror game set somewhere like the Mountains of Madness. I know BB has, like, little grey space men or something in it, but I mean a whole game about ancient astronauts. Or a game in the style of something like Ico or Soma could work really well. I've never really sat down with any of the games based directly off of Lovecraft's work, they always seemed a bit iffy.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

Is Titanfall worth picking up without PS+? It sounds like 90% of the game is the multiplayer.
Same question for Star Wars Battlefront 1. And do either of them have local multiplayer?

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

PSN flash sale!

I'm picking up Bloodborne. I've heard good things about Rayman Legends, is that any good? Any other must play games or hidden gems?

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

Kilometers Davis posted:

Nope I’m only up to micolash! First playthrough. Saw tons of stuff before and then looked at the bosses because I thought I would never finish it :( and then I got really into it and pushed through!

I'm there on my first playthrough too! I love the exploration and tackling new areas but I am just not digging the boss fights. Some of them are really cool but a lot of the deaths in boss fights feel like BS. Git gud, I guess. I want to keep going with the game but I just don't have the time to muddle through something tedious and punishing like Micolash.

I did find pushing through earlier hard spots did make me feel more confident about taking on other difficult things that weren't game related! It's neat.

So far my favorite moment was beating Rom, appearing in Cathedral Ward with a psychedelic Blood Moon overhead, Amygdalas all over the places and then making it to the area right before the One Reborn and finding the streets and walls covered with screaming corpses. It just really sells the escalation from "Spooky werewolves" to "weird snake people and aliens?!" to "Cosmic Horrors" at Byrgenwyrth (the eyeball fly that ambushes you scared the crap out of me, just because of the design) and then you finally see that everything is much much worse than you thought it was.

The rock-throwing giants can eat a dick.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

Punishing isn't the right word. I just keep getting blasted by his spells or getting ganked by a skeleton I missed. And then I get impatient because I don't have time for this! It's tedious.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I loved the combat in HZD, there's tons of options and tools and approaches to each encounter. Each robot enemy is more of a puzzle than a straight encounter like in Batman. I usually used stealth and distance to snipe or trap everything because I am a big chicken and you're fairly squishy most of the game.

There's nothing like scraping out a win on your first Thunderjaw or Storm bird and then later just roping them down and brainwashing them.
I hope the sequel lets you ride the big nasty robots, or give them commands like a squad.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

Yeah, the tearblaster became my default first-shot weapon. It was great pumping shots into things and watching parts go PWAROOOO off into the distance. At once point I hit a Longleg with a blast that blew up its sonic weapon and it just blew apart at point blank range.

Bloodborne update! I beat Micolash! And then died by falling off trying to cross a narrow beam, because if there's one thing Bloodborne doesn't do well, it's platforming!

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Narrow....beam????

After the Micolash fight I used the next elevator and found the secret area where you pull the lever to drop the Brain of Mensis, and then dropped through a hole into a room with two narrow beams over a wide gap. I tried to cross one and promptly slid off. My deadliest enemy: gravity.

How does that tie into the post capitalism narrative?

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I got big fat headphones mostly for Bloodborne because the easiest way to notice enemies early is their audio cues. It's really brilliant how well the lack of music and the specific sounds of each enemy gives you awareness of their positioning in a very organic (and spooky) way.

But I'm also a big wuss and can't handle scary games, so I play Bloodborne and the Arkham games with happy music like the Beatles or whatever in the background. :spooky::skeltal::zoid:

It's nice because my wife can sit next to me and watch a show without being interrupted by screaming hags or "Grant us eyes! GRANT US EYES!"

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I tried out the Prey demo today. Why is is better on PC? Is it just easier to select things using the mouse instead of the joysticks? I got up to the gloo-gun and died to a Phantom. I'm real bad at these kinds of games.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

PS4 thread, please make decisions for me:
God of War for $25
or Spiderman for $35

For the sake of argument let's say I can only buy one of them.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

Thanks PS4 thread! I went with both. Ya'll are awesome, random slapfights and all.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

If you played the Last Guardian and thought the platforming was the point, you missed the point of the game.

The Last Guardian is the ultimate pet simulator.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I got fed up with trying to beat Master Logarius in Bloodborne (two NPCs and he's still busy constantly wailing on me!?) and the general merciless boss grind in that game, so I decided to start up GoW instead.

:tviv:
The graphics! The acting! The dialogue! The action! The setting! It's so good!

I really appreciate the easy mode option. The first few encounters were kicking my butt, and it's so nice to be able to ratchet things down a notch and get on with the story and exploring. I still got one shotted by a guy that popped out of a hole in space at the lake.

Is there some way to get back to the shop when I have more money?

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I've played it, it was fun! You take turns attacking monsters /bosses, if you die you lose all of your blood echoes, so you want to sacrifice a turn to "return to the Hunters Dream" and bank your points. Every time you go to the dream or die you pick up a new weapon or item card to add to your personal deck. Player with the most blood echoes after all bosses are defeated wins.

It's a solid game, I'd recommend it if you're a big board game enthusiast and like bloodborne. I played it before I'd played the actual game and enjoyed it.

Speaking of which : anyone have tips for surviving Logarius? I want to see the rest of the DLC, I reaaaally want to get to the fishing hamlet for some of that Shadow Over Innsmouth goodness, but I keep getting two-shotted. 30 vitality, level 80ish. Using the Holy Sword at rank 10. Is there a damage type I should focus on?

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

Whoops, yeah. Ludwig. The horse dude. In a game full of body horror that's the first design that made me feel genuinely sick. It's a fantastic design. The weird mouth thing full of eyes?! :cry:

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

rabidsquid posted:

this might be kind of a bummer to hear but ludwig was the first boss i felt like there wasnt any "trick" to and you just had to learn the move set and do the fight a million times. i actually got it a little faster than i thought i would, maybe a half hour? that fight was crazy. well if you're arcane there's a weirdo trick i guess but most people arent arcane enough for it and its not worth it just for this one fight.

theres a weirdo dying skeleton thing on the fence outside of the ludwig fight that has something like 5 or 10 blood vials which is something i didnt know when i was beating my head against the fight, and is useful if you run out of vials while working on it.

What's the weird arcane trick? I'm built strength /arcane, so it wouldn't be much more tedious to grind up arcane instead of grinding the boss itself. I have, uh, almost 30 in arcane, I think. Totally worth it for the tiny tonitrus and flamethrower so far.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I spent a lot of time on my character and regretted it once I got some armor options and realized 90% of the hats cover a big chunk of your face as well as the rest of your head.

I mean, I've got a pretty sweet look going on with the Cainhurst armor and the Holy Blade and the tricorn hat, but it really doesn't matter what I look like underneath.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

The Human Crouton posted:

I'd say that you should save Horizon: Zero Dawn for when you have a drought. I beat it last week, and it's good, but I never got the hang of it. I could not figure out how the game wanted me to fight. Was it supposed to take 10,000 arrows to take down an enemy?

It's also paced weirdly, system-wise. They have intermediate weapons, but only 30 minutes of grinding can get you the best weapon. The crafting and inventory system is all over the place.

It's the kind of game where you play two hours and think "This is okay, but the sequel is going to be awesome."

You'll be happy you played it, but you won't be happy playing it.

Gonna have to strongly disagree there, man. Fights are all about learning how to weaken/disable each enemy, using multiple tools to deal damage quickly and disable the really dangerous attacks. I had an absolute blast with the combat in that game.

The crafting and inventory were pretty drat rough, though, and the upgrade pacing was wonky.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

Kilometers Davis posted:

On that note is there a preferred order to play SotC and TLG?

They're not directly related, so it really depends on if you want to stab giants first or help a cat-dog-bird escape a giant castle first. If you're really unsure I guess go in order of release?

I hopped back into Bloodborne to try Ludwig again. I got him down to 3/4 health and he dumped this giant multiwave Arcane attack and swamped me. What the hell!? I guess I need to book it to the other side of the room, but it was a very rude gotcha after his other, smaller shockwave attacks.

Is it better to use bolt paper on a holy blade stacked for physical damage or to use it on a holy blade less stacked for bolt? Is there a point to using anything besides physical on this guy? I feel like the bolt paper helped but I'm not sure.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I finally killed Ludwig in Bloodborne! I got a handle on his moves and then realized, I can drop an oil urn on him, use fire paper, and boost my DPS. Worked beautifully, I was able to keep him pinned down for long stretches and end it quickly.
Then I died to the two hunters in the next big room. :darksouls:
Thanks for the encouragement, everyone!

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm about halfway through it, the Bloodborne DLC is a no-brainer. If you like the game, the DLC gives you more levels, that are tougher than anything in the base game, and more weapons/tools as a reward. I do agree Ludwig is kind of a big brickwall, but the game gives you several NPC options if you want to try him with some help, so it's not COMPLETELY leaving you to the wolves.

I just pushed the lever in the Research Hall. It's been an incredibly difficult area, I keep either getting killed by the ferocious enemies or accidentally falling off of the edge, but it's been really fun exploring. This area feels complex, and I like the verticality- I've fallen to my death a lot, but it's not hard to get back up with the elevator, and it's fun using guns or spells to knock enemies off of the stairs or rafters and watch them fall to their death. SUCKERS.

Spoilered for the guy asking about the DLC, just in case

The atmosphere and design in the DLC so far is top notch, it's like the moment in the main game right before you fight the One Reborn, you walk through an archway and suddenly the street is lined with the petrified bodies (or sculptures?) of hundreds of men, women and children, fleeing from something that happened here. It's chilling and subtle.

Similarly the Hunter's Nightmare has you stumble upon a bajillion creepy half-dead bodies, on top of which is Ludwig, who is a loving masterpiece of creature design, and then above this drainage ditch full of corpses is a lab full of screaming, insane deformed research subjects. Where do you think the corpses came from?

I get really cheesed at the combat but drat, the storytelling and design in this game keeps me coming back,

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

So I took a break in Bloodborne from trying to beat Lady Maria (I've got the first phase down but I am really struggling with my parries on her second form) and took another crack at Amygdala with my new toys from the Old Hunters areas. I've got 28 arcane and a Black Sky Eye and I went POP POP POP and suddenly he was dead! Cheesing a boss was nice after the grueling fights with Ludwig and Maria.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

InsertPotPun posted:

Guys why did no one tell me God of War was so good?

Am I going to Egypt in this game or the next? I'm getting an "Egypt" vibe in the treasure room.

And can someone explain the dramatic "about to drink the wine" moment where he puts the cork back on all dramatic?

It's come up, this thread is why I picked it up on one of the November sales. I could not get enough of the story and lore.

I can't wait for the rest of "Kratos kills all of the Norse Gods" and I'd be OK with Kratos & BOY murdering all of the Egyptian gods, Mayan, Hindu, just murdering through a world tour of mythology, if it was as well made as this game. The relationship between Kratos and BOY is so well done, that really grounded all of the big mythic stuff like fighting gods and dragons and so on.

Bloodborne question:
All I've got left is Lady Maria and the part of the DLC that follows her. I've only done the first Chalice dungeon. Do I have to go through each type of chalice dungeon to get to the deep ones that give good blood gems? It looks like I can't skip ahead to a harder dungeon because of the materials needed. The chalice dungeon is a neat idea but it feels more like work to me, exploring is just not very interesting in them. I want to get to the good rewards in them but if it's going to take a lot of dungeon diving to get anything worth using, I'll just ignore it and focus on finishing the DLC and base game.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I beat Lady Maria after many many tries and shouted gently caress YOU at my TV and felt like a big dork. It was great.

Stepping through the clock and hearing the thunder in the distance and the rocky sandbar leading to this moldy, rotted port was a hell of a set piece. I had to put on some music because the ambient noise was making me too nervous.

Is there an element I should be using in the Fishing Hamlet? Everything here seems resistant to physical.
Those shark giants are mean!

Zonko_T.M. fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jan 6, 2019

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm at level 105, with 50 strength, using a rank 10 holy sword. It still kills the little guys in three quick hits, so it's not bad, but I need a way to kill the giants faster. The range on those is unreal.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

Seaside Bloodborne trip report: I swapped gems around and specced my +10 Ludwig Holy Blade for fire and moved all of my high physical gems to my +9 Holy Moonlight Sword (I like big swords) and they both are doing pretty great against the normal fishmen. I've been avoiding the shark giants, which is what I did with the giants in the first area of the Hunter's Nightmare. I did get eaten by one, that was rad. I got to the second lamp by just booking it, and then snuck back once everyone had gone back to their original positions and backstabbed everything so I could get the loot. I grinded up to 32 arcane and have been abusing the Moonlight sword and the Blacksky eye, it's really satisfying to see enemies out of reach and then snipe them instead of having to avoid their attacks until I can find a way to reach them. Slashing someone with the transformed Moonlight blade's R2 is :krad: I know there are other, more complicated weapons in Bloodborne, but I wanted to slash people and shoot lasers at them, and now I can. The L2 exploding stab is extremely satisfying.

Favorite music for the Fishing Hamlet so far: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8O_g7fXV9o
Man lives! Man dies! [eaten by a shark] And it's all vanity.

I don't have a point, I'm just really enjoying this and wanted to share.

EDIT: I buy whatever is cheaper, so my library is about half digital half physical. But digital is nice with being able to switch right from the console.

Zonko_T.M. fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jan 8, 2019

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

Bloodborne report:
I got through the rest of the fishing village, though I think I may have missed a couple of things on the shore area and I haven't tried to kill the shark in the well yet. I don't know if I will, I want to get all of the weapons, but since I'm not skill-based, the Rakuyo wouldn't actually be used at all...

Bloodborne is deffo about embracing death. I died in the tunnels under the village after carefully clearing out the annoying snail ladies (the L2 of the Moonlight Sword is very very good and the splash damage is:discourse:) and then just ran past them to get all of the goodies and open up the shortcut.

I got really excited about opening up the shortcuts to the lighthouse hut!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=St7d0OUIf4Q

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

The Walrus posted:

I think the version I got only has the cutscenes from Chain of Memories, it was the digital version for 130 canadian on the PS store. Thanks for the heads up on the play order, it's weird they're presented in a different way in game as the PS store listing had them in release order.

edit: oh no nevermind, it's 358/2 that's cutscenes only, good lord these game names.

Weird card based battle system though, could be cool.. are we talking weirder and more card based than MGS Acid! ?

I really liked the card based combat in Chain of Memories. It takes some getting used to, but I think the biggest secret is getting sleights (special combos you sacrifice a card to use) and building decks to easily exploit those, and learning how to avoid getting hit while reloading your deck. If you just want to mash x to win, it's a bad system. If you use some strategy it's a lot of fun.

The levels are all generated room by room based on room cards you pick up, so they're all a weird kind of early procedurally generated design that can get old quick, especially if you use the same room cards a lot. On the other hand it gives you some control over how many enemies you face and how frequently you pick up new cards.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

My favorite Star Fox game was the Gummi Ship missions in Kingdom Hearts 2. I know Star Fox has the Arwing as it's iconic design but I loved building a ship and then flying it.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

Kingdom Hearts 3 is a blast so far but the worlds are either these great romps with your favorite characters through a brand new adventure OR a rehash of the movie while Sora is kept busy with some bullshit that doesn't matter. It's weird how stark the difference is, like there's only the two options.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I saw there's a Harvest Moon for the PS4. My SO loves those games, is the PS4 one any good? Are there similar games I should bring to her attention?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

It's easier to notice later when you run into machines that can have their own guns blown off with tear damage and then you can use the guns against them. When you use weapons with a lot of tear damage, you'll notice lots of bits flying off things you're hitting.