Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Yeah that game gets a lot of praise, I watched some gameplay and while I dig the visuals it seemed kinda meh, one of those things you just gotta play eh? Enough replay for $20?

I assume VR videos work YouTube etc? Asking for a friend

Youtube yes, that app was updated with VR support, the other videos, maybe... There's VR support in Media Player, but not for Side by Side videos, only the 360 degree videos, which kind of suck. My impression is you have to stretch the resolution over a full 360, and it just is going to look bad almost no matter what. I don't have any Side by Side videos to test out, so I'm not sure how good they are, but I did get my PSVR working with SteamVR today and a VR Media Player there, so if I can get ahold of a good sample, am curious to see the difference between the 360 videos and others.

Oh, and I'm of the opinion Thumper is absolutely a must play, and videos don't really do it justice. I've played it exclusively in VR and am in the last level, and it's amazing. They added a hardcore NG+ type mode where you have one life and stuff like that, and if you're into it, you get rankings for each stage and level and there are trophies for that sorta thing. Seems like there's a very high skill ceiling.

Flumpus fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jan 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007
Man, I remember when my brother and I got a 32x... we were so excited for Virtua Fighter (which, to its credit, was a better version of that game than it had any right to be). We must have watched this video a hundred times: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoQK3K1Nrq4

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007
There's some impressive, really fun stuff for PSVR already. I'll agree that waiting for E3 might be a good plan, as that's where major stuff will probably (hopefully) be shown. Personally, I really wanted a VR headset, but wasn't fully prepared to upgrade my PC on top of buying the Vive/Oculus. I've been very happy with it. Two of my favorite games last year were for it (Thumper and Rez - Thumper might have been my favorite game last year), and if you're not picky about trying out some hit or miss things, there are a lot of other fun games and experiences. Stuff like Rush of Blood, Eagle Flight, Tethered, and Superhypercube are all a lot of fun if you're into those sorts of things. And VR is also a surprisingly social thing right now. Getting friends together and watching each other experience some of the demos and games for the first time is a lot of fun, then all playing Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes is really cool.

I think a lot of whether you'll find it worth it is how intrigued you are by VR right now. If you're really excited for it, and want to be in on it from the beginning and trying weird, possibly bad things, learning first hand what works and what doesn't, you'll probably feel like you got your money's worth. But if you want a complete, polished experience with a lot of content, waiting until after E3 or longer is almost definitely the way to go.

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007

Scarf Ace posted:

the generated tracks thing is from dirt 4 which is out in june or july. that said ive been playing dirt rally vr for the past four hours and its amazing, easily the best psvr game yet imo

Were you into Dirt Rally before VR, or did you get it to try that out? I've been kind of wanting to get Dirt Rally anyway, but am a little put off by how "serious" it seems, like a difficult simulation. I'm not opposed to a harder-than-average driving game, just don't want a full simulation that ends up feeling like work to get any fun out of, if that makes any sense.

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007

Digirat posted:

I haven't seen much discussion of the performance in horizon. How consistent is the frame rate, impatom? Did you play on standard or pro PS4?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTH8OnQKWeY

If you don't feel like watching the whole thing, the basic gist is it's very solid, performance is almost identical across both machines (with the Pro pushing a higher resolution). There are a very very small number of minor dips, but other than that it seems like a solid 30fps.

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007

Imagined posted:

I'd love to get LEGO Dimensions for my (4 yo) son because it looks neat, and at the end of the day even without the game they're still LEGO toys, but it feels like a machine to create a kid who's never satisfied with what they already have, you know what I mean? It's impossible for me to imagine a scenario where I got enough of those toys that he wouldn't immediately be asking for more of them.

My wife has Lego Dimensions and a lot of the packs for it. My four year old twins play it quite a bit, but like Lego Marvel Heroes a lot more for whatever reason. I think because you can't really play with the stuff Lego Dimensions comes with - ya, you get to build the stuff the first time, but otherwise it's like any other toys to life stuff, you're just swapping things out on the portal. When we go to the Lego store, they never want anything for Lego Dimensions, always something they can play with. And when they want to play a Lego game, it's usually not Dimensions. I guess all that to say, Dimensions is neat, but if you're worried about an escalation of having to buy everything for it, in my experience little kids enjoy the other lego games just as much or more as games.

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007
I've coasted late game (and am at the first "no turning back point" - not sure if there are more) mostly on the Shadow Hunter and Sharpshooter bows. I just now got the Shadow ropecaster and War bows, so am messing around with them. I'm pretty unsure which sling would complement this stuff best as I've mostly gone without slings - thinking the blast sling since the War bow covers me for elemental damage?

Nocking three precision arrows can do a lot of damage if you've got some damage mods slotted in, and similarly, the hardpoint arrows on the Hunter bow can do a lot of damage just rapid firing (granted, you burn through a lot this way). I had a little bit of trouble with the Thunderjaws until I decided to pick up its disc launchers after knocking them off (also, it's a great feeling to use the tearblast arrows to slowly whittle down its available arsenal). Then the rockbreakers are a pain for me, not necessarily hard as much as they just take a long time. I'm sure I'm missing something here, and/or not using my full range of weapons to make it easier.

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007
Maybe I'll just pick up both before I head into end game stuff.

One thing I haven't done much are the Cauldrons. I've done a fair number of side quests, but just haven't come across these. I dismissed the map vendor as just collectibles, but is this on one of those that I should buy? Or am I just being oblivious and they're hard to miss?

I will say, I'm about 27 hours in at this point, and it feels like nothing. Compared to an open world game like Mafia 3, which I actually enjoyed quite a bit, but just felt like a huge drag after a certain point, it's a really refreshing thing. They could have easily stretched this thing out to 40-50 hours I'm sure, but not doing that has made for a still long game that feels incredibly tight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007

rabidsquid posted:

what happened to the outer worlds thread?

Disco Elysium.

And to clarify I guess, the thread was a huge bummer to go into after the first few hours of really enjoying Outer Worlds, just to see nonstop comparisons to DE.

Flumpus fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Nov 9, 2019