Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Ben Nerevarine posted:

Okay, I put some time into Yakuza 0 a couple months ago, got to Chapter 2 or 3, and put it down. I liked it fine but I found the combat to be kind of a chore. If I wanted to play it as basically a collection of minigames, where should I play to in the story?

5/6 for Kiryu and 7/8 for Majima is when the major minigames open up.

Kyriu's big side-job minigame is basically just a real estate phone clicker game that isn't too compelling though you can get a ton of money from it. Majima's major side game is the Cabaret Club and is worth the price of admission in itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Trojan Kaiju posted:

I just bought The Missing: J.J. Macfield And The Island Of Mysteries as well as Detention last night so I can round out the rest of this month with some strangeness and spooks.

Anybody else got good spook games for the end of October?

SOMA is extremely good if you haven't played that.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Given all the bullshit I've seen about realistic horse balls and AI and other crap in RDR2, I think one reason games are very expensive is because developers spend way too much time on stupid simulationist bells and whistles which don't actually improve gameplay at all.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Kilometers Davis posted:

That stuff is why people love Rockstar games so much. Their attention to detail in unmatched and the simplest acts of walking around and looking at random little things is a game on its own.

You can do that by walking outside and looking at things.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Like seriously if I'm playing ARMA or a flight simulation I get spending stupid effort on simulationism but not for an otherwise standard action shooter

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i'm being facetious but I honestly don't get what that kind of simulationism adds to a narrative action shooter

like my main theory is that it's just to impress people, like people see realistic horse balls and go "wow, if they bothered with that, imagine how good the rest of the game is!!!!" which ignores that opportunity cost is a thing

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
speaking of games with stupid amounts of effort put into them, what's the perfomance of Witcher 3 like on a PS4 slim, because I wanna get a few more things from the spooky sale.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Kilometers Davis posted:

On my og PS4 it’s not 60fps or even a locked 30fps but it runs well most of the time and is responsive. Definitely grab it imo. It’s a great game that doesn’t require a high framerate as much as you might assume. Now that it has been patched a ton it’s in a great place.

Cool. I mean you want a high framerate for action but honestly the combat in Witcher 3 kind of sucks rear end anyway so I was just going to put it on easy and play it straight up as a narrative RPG

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

beep by grandpa posted:

Is someone seriously arguing against the idea seeing npcs/the world/environment/its mechanics react to your actions isn't rewarding (and imo the single greatest thing that video games even have to offer as a medium)

I think video games have much more to offer than simulationism, and saying that's the single greatest thing they have to offer is like saying photorealism is the greatest thing painting has to offer as a medium.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

exquisite tea posted:

It's impossible to tell which of these articles about RDR2 are about plain bad management and which are astroturfed hypebuilding on the same insufferable level as "Jared Leto sent dead animals to his Suicide Squad castmates to really get into his 4-minute onscreen appearance as the Joker."

I think the horse balls is both

a lot of them honestly remind me of that Daikatana story where someone visited the studio and saw someone working on the texture of an arrowhead at some insanely high resolution, despite the fact that none of those details would possibly be seen in the end product.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
also that thing about the letterboxing is incredibly stupid. there isn't a "western" aspect ratio!!! a shitload of classic westerns were filmed in 4:3 because they're from the 1930s/40s!!!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
RDR has always seemed much more modern revisionist western than spaghetti western, but that's a polite way of saying it's a mish-mash of homages to different films that doesn't really have a terribly consistent tone

like the premise of RDR1 was really similar to The Wild Bunch which is definitely not spaghetti western

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Montalvo posted:

I'm getting this weird thing where the press saturation for RDR2 makes me want to play it less.

sometimes you do get a sense that the press has unconsciously decided that a game is too big to fail

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I don't really use my PS4 to play anything that isn't a Yakuza game tbh

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I should probably play Odyssey but AFAIK it has neither Cabaret Club nor Mahjong in it

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Is there mahjong in RDR2. How about running a hostess club.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
These days I can't really justify $60 games because of other expenses so I just buy old poo poo and that's how I beat the hype. I'm currently playing Danganronpa because I want to be hip on this new visual novel sweeping the SA forums.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
honestly if you've ever played a rockstar game since GTAIV I think you intuitively get what he's talking about lol

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I have such a crazy backlog right now. I think the only upcoming game I absolutely am set on buying on release is Hitman 2.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Is Everybody's Golf good, I haven't played a non-Golf Story golf game in a long time

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
There are a shitload of great western films.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Johnny Guitar might be in my top ten or fifteen films ever made, though I'm not sure I'd watch that first because part of why it's great is that it's so different than every other western made during that time period.

The 1939 version of Stagecoach has storytelling down to such a science that it's legitimately scary. The first part of the film, where it introduces like eight main characters, their personalities, and their motivations in something like five minutes of screentime is like watching a textbook on efficient writing. There's a reason Orson Welles loved that film.

Unforgiven is probably the best modern western. Nothing in the last 20 or so years has been particularly interesting thematically, they're mostly just action or drama films (sometimes very good ones) with western trappings, rather than western films themselves. (The closest was The Assassination of Jesse James which I thought was tedious. I've heard good things about Meek's Cutoff, though)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Samuringa posted:

Admitting I don't know much about RDR2, I would guess Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid might be pretty close to what they were aiming.

Probably more The Wild Bunch, though that might apply more to RDR1.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The Wild Bunch is to western-themed video games as Aliens is to sci-fi video games, pretty much.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
My Darling Clementine has always been my favorite John Ford (even beating Stagecoach), apart from the unfortunate drunken-indian scene at the start. One review called it "gloriously lazy" and I love that, it's a film where people tend to just lounge around until being interrupted by various problems coming into town, and I love it for that.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I still have some affection for them but Rainbow Six 1/2 are the definition of "aged poorly".

Also remember first-person tactical shooters being a thing? :smith:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
They made some very specific bad decisions with combat in K1, especially in boss fights that make it a fairly poor choice for beginners.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the semi-comeback of FMV games has been by far the most perplexing game trend recently

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

NEW MISSION OBJECTIVE: PROTECT THE USS BARACK OBAMA FROM THE CHINESE DRONE SWARM

Black Ops II is incredible

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
It's definitely a harder game but tetris just makes me wish I was playing lumines instead.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

mastershakeman posted:

How can someone hate Tetris, it's the actual perfect game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Sf2V2Raqtc

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I like Lumines a lot but it's become a problem that a single "run" of it now takes like 90 minutes for me because Lumines is actually not difficult

the ideal "short" game for me is arcade golf like Everybody's Golf or Neo Turf Masters

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
none of them are good except Contradiction! Spot the Liar which is better than RDR2

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

PantsBandit posted:

Switching between spyro and rdr2 has been really weird. Spyro is a game that wants you to have fun, constantly, red dead is uh...

Not that.

I have both RDR2 and persona 5 installed and guess which one is far more immediately welcoming and doesn't give me the "ughh" feeling that starting a 40 hour game does

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Kilometers Davis posted:

ah, time to settle in and get a bunch of story missions done in RDR2 *plays poker for an hour*

Me playing any Yakuza game except its mahjong or ceelo

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
People accepted a lot of compromises to play 4 player splitscreen fps on a console back then.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Akuma posted:

But enough about The Last Guardian
What does goon certified even mean when the FO76 thread is a back and forth of people having fun and people not having fun and people being told they shouldn't be having fun? Regardless, I've played all the big games this year already (and a bunch of the small ones.)

Edit: this is all sounding very snarky and defensive and I don't mean it to!

The problem with fun is that anything can be fun to someone. It's the most subjective possible evaluation of a game other than "boring". There are games I found fun for loving around/skinner box/nothing better to do reasons that I couldn't possibly recommend as good games because I can also see that they're total dogshit. Like resident evil 6 which is my favorite awful game of all time

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
frame rate is directly related to input response so even if you don't care about the aesthetics it's relevant

I guess this is at least better than when people were trying to tie people caring about framerate to far right wing politics though

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
even if you know how to play mahjong winning a game where you start at a 8k handicap to everyone else is basically 95% luck, so yeah use the cheat item for that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the gamecube extremely kicked rear end