Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

new thread, new reminder to play the last guardian to completion because you have to be a real sour person with a burning hatred for ueda's beautiful japanese mind to not love the gently caress out of the game warts and all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

tlg took me 9 hours but i could have done it in 7 if i knew about 1 finnicky puzzle ahead of time.

theres a point where you are in water and trico is looking through a hole in the cieling at you.

you can not advance until you do the puzzle in the far corner of the room instead of in the obvious spot right under him because he is programmed to drop a chunk of the ceiling before helping you but you have no way to know this until you get it right.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

FireMrshlBill posted:

Since people want Smart TV talk, how is the input lag on the KS8000 when using HDR? Seems a lot of TVs introduce a lot since they require you to be in a movie setting rather than game setting. Was hoping to wait for the OLED's to drop to the $1500 range in a few years, but just bought a house and the 40" I have for the basement is going to be too small. May go for a 65" KS8000 or the like (though would prefer something in the 70" range).

Would like to get the new tv sooner and upgrade to a PS4 Pro when FF7 remake comes out (hoping for a special edition FF7 PS4 Pro).

edit: Also, i haven't play Bloodborne yet because I wasn't a fan of Dark Souls, but will give it a shot. UC4 is the most "must play" game I have played on the PS4 so far since most of the other games I have enjoyed have been on PC and/or XB1 as well (DQ Builders, DQ Heroes, FF15, GTA5, etc.). UC4 is definitely not overrated.

ks8000 is best in class on lag. they patched the firm ware a few months ago to bring hdr in line with sdr so there's only a few ms of difference now, whereas earlier this year there was 10-15ms added.

some tvs are so bad with it though that you are right to be cautious. i've seen reviews showing like 70-100ms of lag introduced by hdr

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

If you wanna game on an OLED and care about input lag I'd wait a year or two

The KS800 is just the best bang for your buck by far. There's better options i assume but probably at a 75% price increase

https://www.rtings.com is great and has all the info you'd probably need

yeah the only good oleds are by lg and sony and they are up there

also oled has issues with gaming in lag and also some models have a weird form of burn in that's not actually a big deal since its temporary but can get annoying if you have a hud on screen all the time when you game and then switch to watching something else i think tv makers care about gaming last in a developing technology. Go LED. just avoid LCD 4k screens because they can no actually display the hdr they claim to have. the ks8000 probably isn't the best hdr experience but god drat its impressive. TLG looks so loving good with it.

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jan 7, 2017

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Waltzing Along posted:

There are a LOT of 1 star reviews on Amazon. 15% or so which is very high for a "best" item. Apparently there is a common problem where the bezel and the screen separate due to heat issues.

lol. get something else then

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

a percentage of consumer hardware may have an issue covered under warranty according to people who may or may not own the tv on amazon? very disturbing.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

gamemode looks very impressive. you don't need all that processing on a native high res image. most cable boxes are still outputting 1080i and lower so its nice to add sharpness and other poo poo if you like to make it look better on the screen

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the ps+ games are good this month. OP, put something in the first post about how Ps+ games have to be april 2015 caliber to complain

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

LODGE NORTH posted:

Is performance an issue on the normal PS4 already? Are there even demanding scenarios to be had on consoles? And is the only visual upgrade selective 4K support?

Yes Visuals get pushed over performance on consoles
Yes many console games have areas of bad performance
No developers have lots of freedom in what they put.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Quantum of Phallus posted:

If Sony weren't trying to push their bullshit half gen revisions and actually bothered to certify games properly, there'd be no problem getting games running well on PS4.

Cert is more for checking that the button prompts say the right thing and the game doesnt crash in ways that break security of the console. Quality assurance is on the devs for all platforms and performance issues were all over ps3 which was just one console

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Knack 2 is pro exclusive but will need an additional slim plugged into the pro to run

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

mafia 3 got a pro patch to native 1440p with super sampling for 1080p screens
improved motion blur effects and shadows
fixed frame pacing now on all ps4 models
the rough frame tearing from base hardware is fixed on pro but trade off is 2-3fps drops in scenes that have alpha effects out the rear end like the klan rally with all the smoke and fog. dev got too greedy. still a solid 30 in regular gameplay

bloodychill posted:

I respect your taste in games a lot and I want to play it but also my dog is pretty sick and probably won't make it to the summer and I don't want to play a game just now where I'm sure I'll get to see that poo poo play out and bawl my eyes out

i lost my cat 5 months ago after a long illness and those feelings which are still fresh and painful for me did not come up in the playthrough

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Jan 7, 2017

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

What if they release persona 5 in 4k

i think they're grandfathered in for not having to do any pro support since they started the game on such an early sdk version

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Fix posted:

Is Diablo 3 supposed to be a cakewalk? It won't let me turn up the difficulty any more until I get an unspecified number of additional skills and legendary items, but the ones I have already are making this game far too easy. I went through the first 30 levels or so last night and was just sorta bored by the end of it.

yeah. you gotta beat it once before you can make it fun

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

second son looks amazing in hdr. and delsin is a fun character.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Fix posted:

How long would one have to spend to do that?

The story isnt too long. Check hltb.com

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

it costs to much and has some crazy decisions in it like mp wipes are hard game overs while single player wipes have continues (but you lose leader board access).

so basically you can't just have a friend over to try it out casually cause you won't get past level two unless they train.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

spudsbuckley posted:

Nearly bought a Pro and a 55" 4K TV today to replace my lovely old 40" 1080p Samsung and launch PS4.

Reserved them for store collection and then measured the trunk/back seat of my car and realised the 55" TV wouldn't actually fit in there.

Lol, i'm dumb.

Best buy will deliver tvs at a time you schedule. Its the only way i could get mine.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the last hour is a masterwork

unrelated: is infamous 2nd son combat supposed to be punishing? i beat first light 2 years ago and never died but i am having to be cheesy and snipe dudes peaking off ledges for like 10 minutes before i can even approach dup command center in this one. maybe i'm playing it wrong.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the minigun guys are annoying cause you need to be close to them when they die so that you can finish them off so you need to kill everyone around them first while they shoot at you then they are only vulnerable for a few seconds and the kill prompt is very finicky so i miss it occasionally and have to start over.

game also crashed on me too tonight. really weird.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Housh posted:

Would FF15 be a good first FF? Is the battle system easy enough for someone who plays Dragon Quest VIII?

Its a hack and slash and dodge action game now, not a turn based rpg

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

FadedReality posted:

Sounds like a lot of people made the same mistake I did with DA:I and tried to complete the entire first zone which is a really good way to get bored and burnt out before you even see a tenth of the game. I actually enjoy the story and gameplay but am still struggling to care enough to beat it over a year later.

everyone said not to do this so i didn't and the game still sucked a bunch of rear end

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

its kinda weird how low key the marketing has been for ME:A. i'm gonna get it used or dirt cheap around xmas personally.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

if you do tricks on skis you get stuck going backwards...like ubisoft's game quality

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

retailer leaked rdr 2 having a october 2nd release date.

10/2 is mid quarter so its an unlikely placeholder but still might be fake

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

they'll launch the rdr online game promising the campaign will come soon and then it wont come

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

gravity rush 2 has some cool tech tricks on pro.
they have the geometry rendering at native 4k but everything else like shader rendering lower so you get super sharp edges without impacting performance

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

U-DO Burger posted:

I've played several songs on Future Tone and the vocals are really soft. Like, I can barely hear them, if at all. The options menu didn't really help me any either. Is there a way to fix this?

try headphones. maybe its just your speaker set up

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Housh posted:

ABZÛ game worth $20? I heard you folks comparing it to Journey. Does that mean it has co-op with randoms poo poo or there is no dialogue?

poo poo looks purdy.

No its bad. Pretty but very bad. Imagine journey but all the feels are really stupid and all the fun is really lame.

Music is good too.

No online

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I tried the miku demo and the rhythm of the inputs seems off from the song am i just bad or is that the case?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Super No Vacancy posted:

like many rhythm games if you arent playing on the harder difficulties they will often simplify rhythms in a way that makes them match the song less

unless you just mean you havent calibrated the lag in the options

oh weird.

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I bought abzu on sale y'all make me feel like I overpaid 😷I really liked the multiplayer aspect of Journey, added charm to it

yeah i got it for 8 dollars and the music is good so i'm not that bummed but i really hate the gameplay

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Yeah it's pretty dumb but y'all should have a nice roku or smart TV for that poo poo :can: idk why peeps use a PS4, especially a pro, for streaming

maybe they get paid to waste energy.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I couldn't get it to work with my KS8000 :saddowns:

I don't wanna spook y'all but everything I read online says any form of CEC/whatever causes input lag with your TV. I'm sure it depends on the TV but something to consider

nah thats a false rumor.

also cec works on my 55" ks8000

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the gb quicklook of gravity rush two is unwatchable. i feel bad for the game jason played it so badly

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I still can't believe it even came out. I dunno how they were getting it running at ANY FPS on the PS3, let alone the reported 8fps some people in here mentioned.

all ps3 footage of the game is running at 3x speed

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

figers crossed with little sigh of resignation that something comes of that ue4 change alluding to changeable display names

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I'm lolling at the idea of Sony being technically competent enough to implement name changes.

they already have real name support able to change your in game name to people that mark each other as close friends. they could have added alias support at any point and made it toggle to be visible to all users

they didn't because there's no money in making that change i guess. there is a mountain of money to be made if they untangle their database knot and sell the ability to change your account name and i'm not surprised the going is slow there.

point is they already have name changes possible in the current firmware but you can only make them appear to certain friends so its pointless and they suck

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Bad Llama posted:

Yakuza 0 looks like it might be decent, but I have never played a Yakuza game.

Is my opinion wrong?

do you like doing punches and wrestle moves to japanese dudes in between a very large number of cool minigames? of course you do. please preorder.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

mrEkli posted:

When did this happen?!

2 months ago it got leaked that ue4 was being changed to reflect a difference in the way sony identifies users by name.

https://www.vg247.com/2016/11/16/the-ability-to-change-psn-account-names-hinted-at-in-new-ps4-sdk-update/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Manatee Cannon posted:

what is the launch lineup anyway? so far as I'm aware, zelda's the only one that's confirmed

bomberman and 1,2Switch