Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

Yakuza good, Last Guardian bad. Look at Until Dawn, Detroit, and since you don't have a PC there's probably tons of great indie games you might not have experienced.

Tlg is amazing
Detroit is bad

Youre all topsu turvy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Tlg is amazing and i dont care who knows the truth

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

Okay. Last Guardian runs like poo poo, controls like poo poo, which hampers the experience that is mainly a 3d platformer. Try Journey.

Detroit has likeable characters, a dog, a story you can influence one way or the other in significant ways. Not to say that the story is great or even good, but it runs well, look good, and is interesting up a point.

Tlg is a clunky game ripped out of the dumpster and fixed enough to ship and be done with it....however its also loving amazing and it builds to what i consider one of the essential experiences in games this gen with a perfect finale.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Escobarbarian posted:

By not liking puzzle games and preferring games involving actual characters, I guess. I just don’t see any entertainment value in fitting squares together.

You must achieve a flow state

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Yeah... when I read what the resolution was 😈😈😈

drat

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

DuffMayhem posted:

As someone who has never been a fan of Tetris, I must say Tetris Effect is fantastic. $40 is steep but I used my $15 credit to soften the blow. I’m also a big fan of Rez and Lumines so I might be a bit biased but I love it. I’ve been playing on PSVR but I’m sure it’s great regular too. For a Tetris fan I’d say it’s must own, but for anyone with an interest I don’t regret it one bit. Just throwing that out there if anyone is on the fence about it.

Im getting deeper and deeper in master mode. 300 lines is still a long way off though.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

RBA Starblade posted:

Is there a way to adjust the controls in Tetris Effect? I'd rather have the triggers rotate.

I wouldnt want that extra travel time of the trigger

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

One of the two things will improve with experience

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Mongoose posted:

I always get gut-sinking feeling when I'm falling off a tall building in Fortnite, but nothing in Spiderman. I guess the consequences of the fall has a lot to do with it.

I cant watch my character fall really far in 3d games idk why i'm not afraid of heights

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Medullah posted:

My cool red and white controller that came with my Spider-Man bundle is not working properly - is there any chance I could contact Sony and get a replacement of that same color?

Yeah thats how warranties work.
You have receipt right?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Medullah posted:

Yeah from Amazon. I mean, I guess I should have clarified - I know they'd handle it under warranty, just wondering if they'll send another red one or a generic color.

They match exact product when they need to replace in my experience

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

VideoGames posted:

What extras does it have?? Also that is a great subtitle!

I assume all the dlc

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Attitude Indicator posted:

wasn't it just the one DLC pack? and it was just some lack luster battle arena thing?

Theres a few packs but yeah none of it was super essential

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

SotTR also had an emergency 1st month sale this year. October-december is a bad tome to release games people dont really want

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

So I 1cced Tetris Effect in VR.

I know I was a skeptic in the past but I think PSVR is worth it, and I've barely scratched the surface of all the other games on my plate

At what difficulty? Expert is kicking my rear end

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Lmao I get loving rocked by the last level of beginner

I cant do better than 3 deaths on expert at the moment

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Yak 6 is good but you gotta expect to look a little harder for side content since its not just so full of missions that they throw themselves at you along the critical path.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Beat Takeshi also gives one of the best performances in a game i've seen all year

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

veni veni veni posted:

Lost 3 days worth of Red Dead due to the trash save system. gently caress this game. I'm done. This is like, infuriating.

It ends pretty much exactly like you'd think anyway

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I got the sony platinum headset instead of going thru hassle of trading into a quieter pro model.

Going from tv speakers, fans blowing, hollering toddler and cat, street traffic,etc to 7.1 directional, noise cancelling surround sound is amazing.

They're really comfy and quality of build feels great. If they go on sale for bf, i would endorse buying them unless you are like an audiophile and already have ones that sound better or whatever.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

mastershakeman posted:

So ive never bothered to learn mahjong and Kiwami 2 has a substory where you have to play it and boy this is not what I remember from the free version that came with windows 95

What the gently caress

You can find a piece that autowins you the game in a room in that building.
They know western fans dont know wtf is going on

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

kater posted:

So what am I supposed to buy so that installing a new game isn't contingent on me waving goodbye to some other game I've only half finished?

Smaller games

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

CrRoMa posted:

The Last of us is a great game and I'd recommend it over many perennial thread favourites to a random person I knew nothing about but I'd be cautious about people proclaiming it one of the best games ever, especially given its 5 year age. It's a worthwhile experience but I didn't feel it did anything outstanding or evocative other than maybe its narrative, purely from a gameplay perspective it's not particularly noteworthy.

Yeah im not wowed by slow uncharted with climbing swapped for crafting but its got good mp modes and a long 18ish hour campaign so 10 bucks is a good deal

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

slidebite posted:

Thanks for the info, appreciate it. I noticed the Astro and Moss bundle is cheaper, but does not come with move controllers. I assume that means the move controllers really aren't needed for most or the "good" VR games?

OK, that makes sense, must have been what they were talking about. Appreciate the link.

I have yet to find a RDR2 on black friday sales here (regular price but included RDR2 so not a bad deal) in :canada: but probably a good enough time with good sales on the controllers and some games. Not completely sold on VR.... yet.. on it. Seems to be lots of stock on the VR kits so I don't think I have to rush into it yet. Heck, could probably wait until boxing day if I want to.

Wipeout and car racing games in general are probably what I would use VR for more than anything I think.

OH, one last question, I am a PS+ with my PS3, I presume that carries over? IE: I can just sign in on my PS4 with my email/password? We are buying my father in law a PS4 for christmas (he loves the GT series) - will he need to get onto PS+ if we want to play against each other or is it like the PS3 where it wasn't necessary?

Online needs plus now unless the game is free to play

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Tlg is good even if it stutters and tells you how ropes work 13 hours into the game with obnoxious tooltips

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

VideoGames posted:

Oh goodness it has just clicked in my head Miracle Johnson is Michael Jackson and we are going to make Thriller!

Yah its a good game duder

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Is there a way to delete games from the phone app? I want to delete RDR2 so I can start installations a game I bought while I’m still at work.

I dont thin so

You could remote play into the console and do it but i think you need to set that up ahead of time

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Spacebump posted:

I'm also one of the many people that got the Spidey-Slim bundle. I haven't had a Playstation since the original. In addition to Spider-Man I picked up Street Fighter 5 AE, The Last of Us, and the Uncharted series. I'm destined to pick up Parappa 2 at some point but heard it's worse than Um Jammer Lammy. What other must play exclusives should I look for in the future? Would it be better if I got a PSNow subscription to play games I missed out on or is that service not good?

Psnow depends on your internet and proximity to sonys local data center so give their free trial a whirl to check it out. Sone of their games are able to be downloaded finally so you can enjoy those for the duration of the trial even if you cant get a good connection for streaming

I terms of games to buy, gey god of war and bloodborne

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Escobarbarian posted:

PS2 is the most overrated console ever

I had gamecube instead and when i went back a few years later to check out what i missed i was shocked at how bad the camera controls were in every game that had them. Otherwise good.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Same as the first game. The entire economy and all the side activities to get stronger are all moot as soon as you can afford a rapid fire shotgun
The only hard part is tricking the game to keep it in your load out instead of replacing anything else with the sniper rifle or whatever mission required gun

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Escobarbarian posted:

The introduction to Majima in 0 is so perfect. I can’t imagine playing any other game with him in first, and I’m so glad I didn’t

His ending is perfect too and yk2's side story gives it great closure now a few years later when my heart was finally ready to heal

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

rabidsquid posted:

its funny to see people complain about no games in this day and age because the first year of the gamecube was DIRE as far as games go. i dont remember the entire console life cycle span it didnt seem like it did that well but the first year especially was like, okay luigis ghost busters and pik man

Mario didnt launch until the following august it was hardship

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Was the N64 the last Nintendo console to launch with a Mario game

Wii u had a nsmb game right?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Smirking_Serpent posted:

It’s crazy that out of the top 5 selling DC titles, like 4 are sports games and Sonic Adventure is like #5.

You have to expand it to 10 to get to Crazy Taxi and it’s still sports sports and sports.

They tried to corner the market with very low sports game prices on some titles

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

But gba is crucial

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

el oso posted:

I just got to Chapter 5 in RDR2 and I'm feeling like I want to load an earlier save so I can keep going through sidequests, hunting, generally messing around and enjoying the camp given what happens at the end of Chapter 4 and probably wanting to mainline the story quests once Chapter 5 hits. Is that a good idea if I want to keep the good vibes going for a while longer?

You have plenty opportunity when you get back from chapter 5.
Get that horseshit out of the way then you got all 20 hrs of chapter 6+epilogue+post credits to clean up the map

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

ex post facho posted:

tetris effect is a 100% must buy even at $40 without vr. if you're halfway interested and like incredible bisuals/tunes, get it.

True

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

blackguy32 posted:

So my friend let me borrow Horizon about a year ago and I gave it back after getting a short way into the game. Bought the game for myself and started playing it, and man, it feels so overwhelming. So many outfits and modifications and ammo types.

I guess I will just try to keep playing through some of the quests and hope for the best.

Heres the deal, the only weapons worth a drat are purples. Get purple weapons of any type asap. They have all the best ammo types. Once you are set up you can tweak the load out.
With Green/blue weapons i had zero fun and almost quit the game. They give you very few options except plinking away.

For big dinos you want a bow with tearblast ammo on it. And then any other weapon with a good mix of elementals. A trap laying weapon is a good addition too to buy youself time to do big damage.
For humans you want a slingshot with aoe ammo and the bow upgrade that lets you triple knock.

Tldr: hzds weapon system is dumb as heck and the worst part of the game but a non issue once you travel west.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Only dlcs i dont regret buying this gen are bloodborne/hzd/witcher

Even ds3 had boring dlc, shaking my fromsoft faith

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

BisterdDave posted:

I really don't think there has been an "over-rated" console yet. Now if everyone on social media started praising the Atari Lynx, then I'd say that'd be considered over-rated. On second thought, in my opinion the most over-rated console so far has been the Switch. I love mine, but god drat the eshop is cluttered with garbage, and don't get me started on their online service.

I wish i wanted to play more switch but its like gamecube droughts all over again for 1st party and while the third party is nice i tend to already have played it on better hardware. I dont really have opportunity to play on the go to make the purchase worthwhile from eshop