Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Quantum of Phallus posted:

For a game that took so so long to make, it looks amazingly new, (almost too good for the PS4 to handle).
Maybe you should play more PS4 games then? Because TLG looks like a PS4 remaster of a PS3 game.

The game is just OK. The camera and controls are bad. Trico needs to react better to commands, and "it's like a real pet" is just a way to excuse unreliable pathing and input confusion. The game not knowing what to do sometimes isn't a positive trait.

I'm powering through it, but I have no real desire to play it. I loved Shadow of the Colossus, so it's unfortunate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

TLG doesn't require that much effort or thought, it's not difficult by any means. That's not a criticism, that's a good thing. It only takes time because you have to fight against the game itself so often. It's like "make Trico do a thing" is the real antagonist.

I don't hate the game. I love the "universe" it shares with SOTC and Ico. But I hope the next game on the PS6 is more like SOTC and less like TLG.

But anyway, I'm clearly in the minority with this opinion.

Crows Turn Off fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Feb 2, 2017

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Oxxidation posted:

Horizon Zero Dawn is looking like a dud anyway so I doubt the scheduling could hurt it much worse.
How so? I think it looks great.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

I think I remember that clip, actually. I'm honestly not sure where that clip came from, though, because none of the other dialogue scenes you can find look even close to that bad. They look better than Fallout 4 and Mass Effect, at least.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Liver Disaster posted:

I regularly play through the mass effect series and for its flaws ME does cutscenes better than that h:zd scene by far
I don't think that scene is an accurate representation, based off plenty of other videos showing dialogue interactions. The other clips look much better. I'm actually having trouble finding this clip - anyone got a link?

And I've played thru the ME series multiple times.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Bust Rodd posted:

Mortal Combat
It's Mortal Kombat, dude, jesus christ. :-O

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

poptart_fairy posted:

PSN still down.

I just want to download Shadow Complex you assholes. :argh:
You could start the download from the webstore on your PC, at least.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

poptart_fairy posted:

I had no idea this was possibly, holy poo poo.
You should pretty much use the webstore for everything related to purchasing and downloading on your PS systems.

For example: If you have PS+ and you navigate the store on your PS4, you find the free PS4 games every month. However, if you have PS+ and you navigate it via the webstore, you will find the free PS4, PS3, and PSVita games every month.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

But do I really need a pro? What if I don't have a 4k TV?
Many of the benefits have nothing to do with 4K. Some games offer greater graphical fidelity like improved framerates or better effects, which would be beneficial on a 1080p TV. And they recently added Boost Mode, which has the chance to improve regular PS4 games that don't have a Pro mode, which would again be beneficial on a 1080p set, and this alone might make it worth the extra cost.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Instant Grat posted:

I looked it up, and I misremembered. It's actually even stupider than I thought. If you choose to give Matt the flare gun, then whether he fires it or not depends on whether you earlier had him agree that the two of them should go to the tower. If you said yes, he fires it immediately. If not, he sticks it in his pocket.

I don't know either. I really don't.
Sounds like exactly the point of the game, that one choice can have unintended and seemingly unrelated consequences?

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

I hope PS+ includes an actual AAA PS4 title in March. It's been pretty bad for like a year.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Quantum of Phallus posted:

yikes, what a load of crap
It's seriously been terrible for like a year.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Snak posted:

That's so hosed, how did I miss that? They are always hiding poo poo... I checked like 4 times that month for something besudes tricky towers...

Edit: oh right because ps3, nm
If you use the webstore, you get to see and purchase all of the PS+ games, not just the games for the system you're using.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

The story-related dialogue scenes in Horizon look great! Are all of the side-story dialogue scenes as bad as the infamous Brom scene, or is that one uniquely terrible?

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

I'm not sure if my audio receiver will accept 4K or HDR or anything. Does the KS8000 or similar have 5.1 audio passthrough? Basically, if I plug everything into the TV instead of the receiver, I assume I can use HDMI-ARC or what-have-you to output the audio to the 5.1 receiver, yeah?

I know this isn't PS4-specific, but I didn't see another thread.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

I have the Jackbox Party Bundle from a previous promotion. I guess it's just Pack 1 and 2 combined, right? If I download Pack 3, does it add into this base game like DLC, or is it entirely separate?

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

unlawfulsoup posted:

Destiny 2, meh. The only thing I will say is the bar is still pretty low for console MMOs. The Division couldn't even manage a raid.
Aren't the Incursions the Division version of a raid? They have 4 of those, I think.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

PirateBob posted:

Is Journey worth the money? I've heard it's only 2 hours long.
Depends on how much money. If it's less than $10, then yeah, it's worth it. I only played it a couple times to get all the trophies. It was about 6 hours of my time total. I have no desire to play it again, though.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

Edit: it's also possible he is absent but he is almost certainly some sort of hallucination in the trailer and isn't actually there.
How is that an almost certainty? What hints did the trailer drop to imply this?

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

In Horizon ZD, the only collectibles you really "need" are the Metal Flowers. The rest are just extra, mostly pointless, and take forever. Other than that, do all the side missions and the story missions, and it moves along at a pretty good pace. (Always do the side missions before the main story missions.)

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

ashpanash posted:

You don't "need" any of them, flowers included.
I'm an idiot and confused the Metal Flowers with the Power Cells.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

They probably delayed RDR2 because they thought of some more ways to make the online portion less fun.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

MeatwadIsGod posted:

So Horizon: Zero Dawn...good? Nothing about the robo-dinos or the future-early man stuff appeals to me, but if it's good I can give it a shot. It always gave me vibes of being pretty but kinda shallow like Uncharted.
Yeah, it's very good. Don't get bogged down on collecting everything - because there is a CRAPTON - and the story will move along nicely. I was getting bored trying to collect everything, and then stopped doing that and wasn't bored anymore. Very good gameplay that ends up feeling a little bit like The Witcher (in that you have to prepare a bit before a big fight) and there are multiple ways to engage in combat. It's just fun. It's also a huge game, with varying environments and enemies.

Crows Turn Off fucked around with this message at 19:10 on May 26, 2017

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

If the text is too small, why don't you just buy this TV? Pretty easy solution here!

Did they ever patch Skyrim SE for the PS4 Pro so it doesn't run worse than the standard version?

Crows Turn Off fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jun 8, 2017

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

I don't give half a poo poo about Minecraft. But it's still really popular, and having cross-platform play is a good idea regardless of the game, and it's a bad idea that Sony is so resistant.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Goddamnit I was able to buy another year of PS+ but when I try to buy a few games after that, Sony decides they hate my Paypal/credit card. If I buy PSN credit on Amazon and put it in my wallet, is that going to count toward the spend $100 promotion?
Yes. Adding money to your PS Wallet via any means (PSN card, credit card) and spending the money from your Wallet counts, you just need to make sure to use the money from the Wallet. Like, a PS+ card from the store, for example, would not work since it doesn't affect the Wallet.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

How about Bethesda fix the Pro version of Skyrim so it doesn't run worse than the base game before they re-release it in VR? Jerkheads.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

MZ posted:

There is a bug in the KS8000 set that does not auto-switch to HDR settings for Game Mode. The main things you need to set are the following in Expert Picture settings:

Backlight: 20 (or as close to max as your eyes can take, 18 is fine)
SmartLED: High
Dynamic Contrast: Medium
For the KS8000, I thought I saw the Backlight has to be at 20 for HDR content to work in Game Mode - is that not true?

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

MZ posted:

No, it doesn't have to be at 20 to work, it works at any value - it just won't look right at low settings. It looks brightest at 20 but the 'HDR-ness' still works perfectly fine a couple of notches lower, it might look a bit too dim at anything below 16 however.
Ok, makes sense. I thought I also read that Contrast needs to be set to max as well. Or does Dynamic Contrast take care of that?

Sorry for the derail.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Bust Rodd posted:

Ok so I loved the PS2 action platforming genre but even on sale for $8 I'm still holding off on Ratchet & Clank. I feel like it has to hit sub $5 this year.
The game is great and looks amazing. It's easily worth that price.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

...! posted:

Was there a flash sale last weekend? I was sick and not exactly thinking about checking.
Nah, but for everyone who checked the store, they gave away Knack and Knack 2 for free (when it comes out).

Crows Turn Off fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jun 30, 2017

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

You only select Lie when you have actual proof that they're lying; the evidence you have determines if you press Truth or Lie. You never guess with Lie. You only need to guess with Doubt, that's the only real time their facial expression matters.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Awesome! posted:

did they fix prey yet
If by "fix" you mean "neuter," then yes.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Bombadilillo posted:

Rogue Leader for GameCube.
Holy poo poo, I was going to say exactly this.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Attitude Indicator posted:

I wrote horizon off because its a genre i dont care about from a developer i dont care about. I might get around to it one day though, since its supposed to be good
It's a 50-hour long open-world game, so if that's not your thing, then you may not like it.

But on the other hand, you can force giant robots to fight each other to the death, kill the survivor, and take their parts.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Just started playing DOOM. Holy hell, this game is fast and smooth. Feels good.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Harlock posted:

Kingdom Hearts 3 - 2018.

I'll believe it when I see it
They just revealed a Toy Story world too!

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

fruit on the bottom posted:

Thinking about getting a PS4 but don't have a 4k TV. Will the slim fit my needs or am I total chump if I don't spring for the deluxe console?
You don't need a 4K TV to get benefits from the Pro. For many games, the Pro version offers improvements other than 4K resolution, like smoother framerates and better graphical effects. I have a 4K TV, and I choose 1080p with extras over 4K resolution every time if I have a choice.

You can look up all the games with a Pro patch and see how they work with a 1080p TV, then decide if you want the Pro.

I don't know why people (intentionally?) neglected to give you all the information.

The Slim may not fit your needs.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Tei posted:

Played Prey finish to end. I finish few games. Is a gem for us vereran gamers that love real sanbox games. Is more system shock than Bioshock.
Prey finish no end, tho. can't make for vererens only also casuls. not sandbox tho, still lined. bioshock like is fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

poptart_fairy posted:

Feels a bit weird having such a beefy entertainment set-up now, especially one both of us can appreciate.
Just make sure you look online for the best configuration for HDR and 4K for your TV. HDR sometimes requires some specific options.