Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.

exquisite tea posted:

I would say "just get it on PC" since that's where 7 million people play the game already, but despite looking like it's straight out of 2010 PUBG is apparently more demanding than you'd expect.

Playerunknowns Battlegrounds is demanding for two reasons:

1. Massive world with up to 100 simultaneous players. Takes lots of processing to populate and maintain this.

2. It's still not officially launched. They're working through the PC bugs and optimizations, consoles would be far behind.

But I know the console execs and everyone else can smell the money and that's all that matters in the end. Bringing this to a console as an exclusive will make this game super popular and make hundreds of millions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The problem is it's not an exclusive, it's a launch exclusive, which no-one is buying into for a second. The odds are not in favour for it on XBone, because it requires owning or buying an XBone. Nevermind one that's much more expensive than the standard model. It's going up against a customer base that almost certainly has a gaming PC that'll run it, or at least a PS4. They either get it on Steam, or just wait out the exclusivity window.

Sony needs to partner with Valve for exclusive rights to Steam. I know some Steam games can't be supported on PS4 but future systems can be fully integrated. Valve already tried to do the Steambox thing but obviously didn't work out because their market is PC gamers who already owned PCs. Which meant they had to carve out of the console market for their Steambox, which didn't work going up against loyal PS, Nintendo, or XBOX fanbase. Now partnering with Sony, that could be good. But we will see.

And yes I agree with you that trying to force people to buy an XBone is poo poo.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

What's a good TV for PS4 (regular non pro). I think I want something around the 44-50" range. Doesn't have to be a smart TV. Want it mainly for PS4 gaming and watching Blue Ray movies.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I thought a PS4 didn't have the bandwidth to get the full benefit of an SSD?

It doesn't.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

katkillad2 posted:

I really enjoyed Metal Gear Survive, if you have any interest in it try it out.

:ironicat:

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

If I haven't played any of the Yakuza series what order should I play them in?

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

JesusLovesRonwell posted:

You're describing the last TWO console generations. Also, you're getting older.

And for everyone going on about Bloodbourne, you know there's going to be a 60fps remaster so chill game dudes

PS5 will definitely have enough juice for 60fps Bloodborne.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

I bought Horizon: Zero Dawn a year ago. Finally got around to playing it this weekend due to the PC release hype. About 5 hours and it's very meh. I find the combat system, especially melee combat to be very mediocre. The story is dull and full of fetch quests. Is it or me or was this game overhyped?

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Don't get me wrong H:ZD has amazing graphics. Aloy's dialogue choices, does it actually affect the story or is it merely to make you feel like you are making consequential decisions?

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Quantum of Phallus posted:

You should try Lost Legacy next!

Definitely recommend Lost Legacy. I took a 5 month break between finishing Uncharted 4 and playing Lost Legacy and it was like the best parts of Uncharted 4 all over again.

Although Uncharted series combat system has improved over time I still hate it, good thing they give you super easy story modes to minimize the frustration.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Bust Rodd posted:

If Sushi Ghost is the last new game I buy for my PS4, I’ll be ok with that. Gonna be rebuilding a PC for CBP77

After I buy PS5 I'm gonna relinquish PC gaming after 22 yrs of maintaining a gaming PC. I'm adulting too much these days and don't want to sit in front of a computer during off time. Prefer to relax "casually" with a console.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Cowboy Bebop has aged well, not so much for Outlaw Star and especially Trigun. Shame, because the characters and story were decent but the lack of budget back then has made them age terribly.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Arist posted:

My shameful weeb admission is that I haven't actually seen Cowboy Bebop, need to get on that

Paranoia Agent is phenomenal

Check out the Cowboy Bebop Movie. It's standalone so you won't spoil anything in the main series story and pretty drat amazing.

Part of Cowboy Bebop's success is the amazing music created by Yoko Kanno.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

dog nougat posted:

Xposting from the fall guys thread.

Lol. The grab mechanic is the only thing that gives me a few chuckles here and there after playing this game for about 5 hrs. Highly repetitive and frustrating controller delay on console but it's always fun to grab someone right before they enter the finish line.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Baggot posted:

So Xbox Series X is going to launch in November with no flagship launch title? Am I understanding this correctly?

Microsoft isn't dumb, they're just taking a high risk business strategy with Xbox. They're going for a service and ecosystem model whereas Sony is playing a classic console strategy.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Guillermus posted:

Thread, just got a loving PS3 with PS1 and PS2 backwards compatibility from a coworker and this thing has been in its own box for years, just opened it to clean it up and is... Clean? The drat DS3 still has a working battery. I turned it on and works perfectly :stare:

Demon's Souls spree today :getin:

Time to softmod and slap a 1TB HDD in it.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Hopper posted:

Anybody who buys a new TV buys 4k these days. It's hard to find anything else.
Plus Sony does have a 299 option. The PS4 Pro.

I am not so sure about the S dragging everything down. If it simply renders content at 1080p instead of 4k that should theoretically mean a lot less load because of the lower resolution, so it could be fine.

I really like the marketing and overall business strategy that Microsoft is going for with Game Pass, PC gaming, and the Xbox franchise. They are offering decent affordable service across many different platforms at sensible price levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

If Series X and PS5 have very similar hardware specs, PS5 is most likely going to be similarly priced as the X at $499. Of course this is assuming that Microsoft did not find incredible cost saving measures for basically the same specs as PS5.