Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I said come in! posted:

Well, there's Zelda, Splatoon 2, and Mario Odyssey. Breath of the Wild looks really amazing.

Legend of Zelda kind of looks weird on the Switch. In the WiiU it looks like they designed a texture and art style to compensate for the mediocre hardware whereas in the Switch they disregarded it and made everything sharper which made the bad textures stand out more. I saw a comparison video and the WiiU looked more consistent. But beyond that, the library looks barren. It's the definition of wait a few years, or into the next console's cycle to pick it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I don't think any of those games you mentioned have unique gameplay at all. They all look good but unique and interesting gameplay is stretching it.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Do they not include previous Persona MC's main personas in future entries or something?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The popular critical opinion to hold for all PS1 games these days is that all of them are unplayable trash. Only reason why you like any of them is purely nostalgia. Adjust accordingly. Thank you for your time.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Rogue Trip was cool and I played it for a while, but it really did feel like a Twisted Metal also-ran. By the time TM Black was out there was no reason to go back. Some cool level design in RT though.

Still, Vigilante 8 had the best physics. It's like a Havok ragdoll engine...but for cars

I miss this genre. But I guess it's one that requires a whole lot of things to come together and if they don't it all fails completely. You really need to nail the physics, the feel, the weapons, secrets and the level design or else it can get old real quick.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

After watching the Giantbomb Quicklook and reading the Polygon review, I think I want to pick up Yakuza 0. But from reading the review the reviewer pointed out how bad the game is with its depiction of women. As far as I know, the series always suffered from this. Is there a reason for this? It seems like so much loving care and nuance was put into the main cast of characters in the series but a woman comes along and is just a prop in service for one of the male characters or story. It's just odd to me that the writers of these games can write these characters so well and just put no effort into any woman character.

It's not something preventing me from getting the game, but I'm just curious to know if there's some sort of cultural thing I'm not getting or if the writers really don't know how to write women.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I'm about 3 hours in Yakuza 0 and it's pretty amazing so far. But I have to ask, what is with all the people handing out pocket tissues? Was there a cold pandemic during the 80's in Japan that they had people handing the things out at ever street corner?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I'm watching a Horizon video on gameriot and the other dialogue is not nearly as cringey as that suicidal guy. Not good, but passable.

Nah, that 3 minutes of what's probably a 20+ hour game is representative of it all. It's gonna be garbage crap from a garbage crap developer. I don't know where you are from but we're capable of extrapolating all that information from the slightest details.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Part of the reason we all got so negative over it, lovely animation and dialogue aside, is the kind of thought process that leads to those design decisions tend to permeate throughout the entire thing. If this is what we're seeing in just a sidequest scene, what kind of crap have they pulled in the rest of the game?

Design documentation has nothing to do with the weirdness of the facial animations or the direction of the voices. That video was loving weird, I won't defend it, but somehow extrapolating that because 3 minutes of bad facial animations the game is going to have absolutely terrible everything else is a stretch I haven't seen since fanboy wailing during console launches. Of all the footage I've seen the facial animations do reach into uncanny valley and look off, but nothing was as bad as that one clip and everything else looked fairly solid. It's weird since I don't remember the facial animations in Killzone being that bad.

There's been a lot of positive buzz around the open world gameplay despite there being similar elements to most Ubisoft games.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The new Zelda looks like it has that annoying weapon durability poo poo from the first Dark Cloud game. Things look like they break incredibly fast.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Quantum of Phallus posted:

If Sony or Microsoft released a console with the equivalent library of the wiiu they'd be the laughing stock of gaming.

They'd just have to come out and say they're not competing with the competition and are doing their own things and the enthusiast press will jump through any logical hoops to defend it. If you really think about it, Nintendo enjoys a level of consumer love that just about any corporation would kill to have. They can pretty much do no wrong.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

As someone who knew about Yakuza but never played it, 0 is a great starting point and a really fun game. It's the game Shenmue was trying to be. It's absolutely stuffed with content and it balances the serious and humorous really well.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

If you say feminine hero elsewhere on the net it'd trigger people and you'd get a billion and one responses about the feminist agenda and poo poo like that. Holy balls don't read the comment section on article of Horizon.

In fact, never read the comments section on anything ever.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

DrNutt posted:

Well, and Cindy is shoved in your face regardless of whatever you might do. The "erotic" videos in Yakuza 0 are not only completely optional, but they are basically designed to make you feel like an idiot.

"Erotic" they are indeed. It doesn't even qualify for softcore. It's just a video oogling a woman while she plays with bubbles or balloons or sitting in a bath while some hilariously upbeat elevator music plays. You watch them so the walking erection Mr. Libido goes on about how awesome they are.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

If I were to change something small, I'd make the actual disc a bright neon color much like the particle stream that flies behind it. It's kind of hard to follow.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

That's a bummer if it's true. The guy was very uninteresting. Bland as can be.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

exploded mummy posted:

They made 20

What's one more

They were cheaper in bulk.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Captain Yossarian posted:

Should I buy Yakuza 0 business man's edition? 🤔

That was mainly a preorder bonus. I will admit the business card carrier and the Majima and Kiryu business cards are rather neat.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I found the story to be pretty good so far and the facial animations to be on par with Witcher 2's. Not good but serviceable. It's pretty much the only part of the game that's really lacking, in my opinion.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Policenaut posted:

Platinum fun games that you enjoy and want to see everything in but dont bother if its some 200 hour chore grindfest unless you really like it

peace and god bless

Yeah, this is how I go about it. I platinum'd Horizon because they were pretty reasonable and I love doing things in the game. So it was really easy.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I found 90% of the VA in Horizon to be good to great. The other 10% dipped into mediocre. Nothing really stood out as extremely bad. The lip syncing, on the other hand, is all over the place. It's emotive but the timing is off for a lot of the side stuff.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Kratos better be the father of all pantheons. That kid should lose an eye and end up being Odin.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

It is cool how Aloy will change her posture whether she's running up and down cliff faces, whether or not she's close to a wall, etc. The platforming isn't quite as tight as Tomb Raider's but unlike TR it's almost impossible to fail your jumps anyway.

She likes to spread her arms out a little and feel the tops of the tall grass when she runs through it.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

I thought some of Horizon's cutscenes were a little rough and could use some better lip synch.

...then I saw the early access footage of Andromeda. :stare:

One of the coolest characters you meet late in the game has lip synching that's completely off. It was a complete loving bummer. I want her to come back for the sequel. I'd play as her as DLC too. Rumor has it she bench-presses Thunderjaws before breakfast.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Take your time in the menu. Time is at a near stand-still, you don't need to snap to a different ammo type immediately in it. Also add me to the list who has never had trouble with the camera. Unlike other games where you face multiple enemies, things are really easy to manage because just before they attack you'll see an !!! icon appear on the side of the screen they are attacking from, so they're easy to dodge.

I was surprised how easy those battles were to manage, even on the highest difficulty. Only thing that'd throw me off was the timing of the different attacks.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Quick switching arrow types for the currently equipped weapon would have been nice, sure. Not exactly a deal-breaker for me. But no, I've never been killed by enemies doing the flailing attack from behind because of those indicators helped me out a lot. They exist because enemies fan out and surround you. That said if you run in and get surrounded it's your fault for not culling the herd from afar. In this specific case, the fight is supposed to be hard because you're fighting the strongest enemy in a smaller arena than where they roam around.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I love all manner of video game music. But it's all past its peak. The ultimate is Fly into Free for Dragon's Dogma's opening. They removed it in Dark Arisen, which is one of the greatest tragedies of humanity, but man it was something else in vanilla.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Manatee Cannon posted:

the best part about that song is that it starts off like some generic fantasy song. then, right as you're about to get past the menus, the buttrock starts

Yep! It was utterly perfect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZNbabKjKpA

Most of that thread was in three steps:

Man, this song is stupid.
Man, this song is kinda catchy.
FFFFFFFLLLLLLLYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY IINNNNTOOOOOOO FFFRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also bums me out that the franchise turned into an, apparently, very bad online game. It's one of my all time favorites, warts and all.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

I could give a poo poo about Zelda as a cultural phenomenon, I like some of the games and I don't care much for others but BOTW is a ridiculously good game. It definetly has one of the most insane fanbases out there though.

I wish I enjoyed more aspects of that game. I think Alex is taking the best approaching and playing it in short bursts - enough to get something out of it but not to be annoyed by some of the crappier mechanics.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

Frame rate nerds would lose their minds playing zelda. I have actually hit points where it runs at about 1 frame every 2 seconds.

I'm normally not like this. I can forgive a whole lot and I do. I didn't bother me when I played Zelda on the WiiU but coming from Horizon it did make me appreciate the effort Guerrilla put into making the engine run at a near 30 FPS.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I really want From to make new franchises and maybe revive some old ones (OTOGI) but I would love for them to revisit the Bloodborne series once more. It's such an incredible game.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Meldonox posted:

I loving adored Horizon but I got bored with killing robot dinosaurs. God help me I'd play for another hundred hours if it were nothing but exploring ruins reading/listening to end times lore.

Try playing on a higher difficulty and getting past the eastern areas. Game really opens up in the desert area.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

This is what happens when you let SJWs make games! This is what SJW wants!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That video and the comments made my night. Comedy gold.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Has any new info on the new Call of Duty set in World War 2 come to light? I saw the picture but it looks like a hoax. I don't want to get my hopes up.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

AAA development. Apparently Horizon doing gangbusters got a lot of AAA developers pumped because it's an original IP that got a bazillion dollars thrown at it that did really well. Put a crack in the risk-adverse publishing machine.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

It's setting up your PC as a proxy server for your PS4 to connect to.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Torment has a pretty wonderful opening sequence and character creation thing. Text heavy but it sure was something else!

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

DoctorGonzo posted:

Speaking of Persona 5 and as someone who havent played the series. Its a good game?, for reference Witcher 3 is my favorite game of all time.

What are your thoughts on the police? Think carefully because the answer is very important to if you'd like the game or not.

Renoistic posted:

If that's true it's actually worse than I thought. Like, the hypocrisy level would be off the charts.

Persona 5 has writing faults and some things aren't strong but that instance is not. It's weird but people get pedantic about some parts that aren't bad while other points are very valid. It, like a lot of Japanese media, uses homosexuality as a punchline. Very disappointing in a game about social reform, to be honest.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Critics who go on about that ludonarrative dissonance poo poo are usually the same ones who complain the story doesn't give them enough reason to care about the plight of the characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

It's also a valid complaint yeah?

Nah. Unless you're a psychopath and need context to logically calculate what the normal human response to things like struggle, love and loss. You can opt not to be invested in it, sure, but "ludonarrative dissonance" is just someone trying to be clever without understanding the genre the game draws on for inspirations.