Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Nearly bought a Pro and a 55" 4K TV today to replace my lovely old 40" 1080p Samsung and launch PS4.

Reserved them for store collection and then measured the trunk/back seat of my car and realised the 55" TV wouldn't actually fit in there.

Lol, i'm dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Got a Pro and a 4K tv and whatnot the other day.

The Pro is quiet as gently caress and i'm enjoying being able to have everything installed because of the bigger hard drive, the UI feels a bit snappier as well. Area X in Rez in VR looks even more amazing than before, the image quality is really good. Haven't tried any of my other VR Pro-enabled stuff but i'm off for the weekend so i'm looking forward to trying some of it.

I've only played Ratchet and Clank on the new TV so far and it looks loving amazing in 4K w/ HDR. Almost feels like another step up console-generation wise.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Calaveron posted:

Got an LG 55UH76 and a pro and for some reason it doesn't recognize it's got HDR. What gives

If it's the same as the LG i got recently: go into the "All Settings" version of the menu, go into the "General" menu, scroll all the way down to "HDMI ULTRA HD Deep Colour" and switch it on for the HDMI ports you want HDR on. You might need to restart the PS4 and TV to get it to work after that.

It's turned off by default for some bizarre reason.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Real hurthling! posted:

but its the "greatest game line up in xbox history"

What MS means by that is that the numbers following the titles of their exclusive IPs are greater than previous entry in the series.

One-note motherfuckers.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

We really are in a Golden Age of gaming at the moment and it happened because Sony got their poo poo together with the PS4 after the gently caress up that was the PS3.

Also the Wii U may have failed but it had some great games.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

I had Gravity Rush 2, RE7 and Yakuza 0 arrive from Amazon today.

I'm still in the middle of juggling FF15 and Watchdogs 2. Gaming is retarded good at the moment. We'll be looking back on 2016/2017 as another golden age for gaming in time to come.

Whenever Sony are doing well, an almost overwhelming amount of great stuff keeps getting released. My PC is redundant for anything other than shitposting and the occasional bit of FF14 at this stage.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

veni veni veni posted:

I picked up Volume and I gotta say the insanely loud music that kicks in when you get spotted might be one of the most annoying things I have ever experienced in a game.

Imagine how fun it is in VR with headphones on.

I got about 20 minutes in and had to quit because: REALLY loving LOUD!111!!!!!

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

The Eurogamer review of Horizon says its decent but a bit uninspired and generic :/

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Boy howdy am I struggling to enjoy Gravity Rush 2.

I liked the original but most of the additions to the new one are poo poo and a lot of the missions so far are "fly around looking for this thing/person with no waypoint to show where they are".

The larger map is pointless because it is full of nothing and just means you have to spend longer just holding down X whilst you fall toward your next questgiver or whatever.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Sort of makes sense as to why there is only a slow trickle of games coming out for it at the moment then.

I expect E3 will see Sony lean heavily on PSVR.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

The lovely fiddly controls and terrible camera in Gravity Rush 2 are making me mad at video games.

I legit don't remember the first one being this frustratingly awkward.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

I just unlocked the lunar thing in Gravity Rush 2 and it has moved the game even further towards the "gently caress this, trade in" pile.

The controls are just not up to what they expect from the player.

I'm hugely disappointed with the game and I'm actually getting a loving headache from playing it.

Numerous forced stealth/can't use your powers missions, a poo poo camera, horrible controls and an empty open world. This game has it all.

EDIT: I'm done. The tutorial area for the fighting with the lunar thing seems designed to just display how frustrating the entire game is. It locks on to enemies when you attack but also locks on to mineral deposits so you can literally be mid combo on a monster and the camera will wildly snap around and Kat will start attacking green orbs instead, even if they are further away than the enemies.

spudsbuckley fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Feb 27, 2017

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

I built a gaming PC in late 2014 with the idea of tackling my massive Steam backlog and playing some of the exclusive stuff available for the platform. I quickly discovered that a lot of the games i had on Steam was pretty mediocre stuff which i'd just bought because it was cheap and most of the PC exclusive stuff was a bit poo poo/mediocre.

Honestly, name a good current-ish PC exclusive.

Anything good usually ends up on console and PC doesn't get Bloodbourne, The Last of Us, FF15 etc.

My PC is now a shitposting machine and i use it to play FF14 because you need to play MMOs on PC. I won't be bothering with another gaming PC when this one becomes long in the tooth.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

SettingSun posted:

For the record FFXIV is extremely playable on PS4. I'm a dirty casual and I've done everything but savage content on PS4. And I could probably do that if I had a mind to.

I actually bought it for PS4 as well and it is playable but it is just so much easier on PC that the PS4 version is a tad pointless for me.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Wait, really? I wondered what happened to that.

Exclusive on a half dead platform by a niche dev and it looked a bit poo poo in previews.

It would have bombed hard if released so everyone involved just cut their losses.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Started playing Yakuza 0 after giving up on Gravity Rush 2 .

Where has this series been all my life? It's my first encounter with the franchise and i loving love it. A weird mixture of JRPG and Shenmue with a well written gangster story that has some nice humorous touches.

Am i right in thinking the remake of the first one is coming out the EU at some stage this year?

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

I can't wait to start H:ZD but i'm only about 15 hours into Yakuza 0 and i'm enjoying it far too much to switch games now :/

Also, this week i learned that Amazon.co.uk have started shipping a lot of stuff from inside Ireland so it explains why my last 3 purchases arrived the day after they shipped, something that usually took a week or more. I'm going to impulse buy so much stuff now :(

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Ineffiable posted:

Forza is the last best thing Microsoft has I think.

Forza is literally the only thing Xbox has going for it and it is on PC now so the Bone is utterly pointless.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

8-Bit Scholar posted:

A friendly reminder that Gravity Rush 2 exists and can be played and enjoyed on your PS4 system!

I loved the first one but I had to abandon GR2 after about 10 hours because the controls/camera were so frustratingly poo poo that I was getting a headache playing the game.

All this talk of Horizon being great is sort of making me want to put Yakuza 0 on the back burner so I can start on Horizon :/ Yakuza is sooooooo loving good though

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

exquisite tea posted:

Something you also have to consider is that goons are not representative of the gaming body at large. Nier is very well-reviewed but it's going to be more divisive in its systems than a AAA mainstream title like Horizon. Not that there's anything wrong with either, but know what you like and don't like.

Nier reeks of "goon recommended game that I'll end up hating".

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Dodoman posted:

You could have said that for the first nier, but this seems to be a much better playing game all around. There's a demo so you don't have to go in blind.

I played the demo when it came out and didn't think a whole lot of it one way or the other.

Probably for the best, I have a poo poo ton of stuff to play so adding an RPG with multiple playthroughs required probably isn't a good idea.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

I just started with Horizon today after finishing the main story in Yakuza 0 (i'll probably go back to do extra stuff later in the yerar).

Was a little bit worried with the tutorial bit where you play as a hosed-up-looking-midget-child but then i got to the actual game but and i'm really loving impressed. The level of polish and all of the QoL stuff is amazing for the devs first open world game and it is gourgeous to boot.

One small thing i love about it: there's usually something about the controls of every open world game i play that i end up hating within a few minutes of starting it. A stupid binding of two actions to one button, "stickiness" in climbing controls, etc. Horizon has none of that so far. It's all very smooth and becomes instinctive really quickly.

spudsbuckley fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Mar 25, 2017

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

HZD is pretty loving great you guys.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

I'm getting to the end of Horizon now and it actually reminded me that i own the Witcher 3 for PC and made me think i should give it another shot.

Then i remembered the 3 other separate occasions i failed to get more than 10 hours into W3 because it is perfectly serviceable but utterly loving boring.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Just finished Horizon a few minutes ago.

Easily the best game I've played in a good while. I'd recommend it without hesitation, even to people with open-world-fatigue.

It does everything right from a gameplay point of view and the story and setting are genuinely unique and interesting.

And to think, I'd almost forgotten it was even a thing until like a week before release when Amazon emailed me a code for some pre-order stuff for it.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

exploded mummy posted:

It's no Bloodborne

I love Bloodborne but i would not recommend it to most of my casual gamer friends because they would loving hate it.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

The Bananana posted:

Thanks a whole bunch!

Kinda slim Pickens, eh? Idk, not too many of those titles really pique my interest.

Do you just not like games or something?

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

PirateBob posted:

Is Journey worth the money? I've heard it's only 2 hours long.

The best 2 hours of anime you'll ever experience.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Started Automata last night. Didn't really know what to expect because I'm not a huge fan of Platinum Games output but I have to say it has grabbed me pretty hard. The genre shifting during combat is really neat and it is really nice and unique looking.

I'm actually enjoying the combat a lot. It's nicely balanced for me on normal and looks slick as gently caress.

The only issue I have so far is the the voice work is a bit poo poo. Very anime.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Fuzz posted:

The more I hear about the Persona games, the more terrible they sound.

Then again I hate JRPGs.

I kind of want to try Persona 5 but I'm getting serious Danganronpa vibes off the praise it gets.

Visual Novel anime poo poo is universally terrible.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

The further I get into Automata, the less I'm enjoying it.

The story is boring and tired, the world is empty and awkward to get around, the sidequesting is dull and the voice acting is horrible.

The combat is good and that's about the only thing that's keeping me going.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Finished path A in Automata.

Everything about the game except for the combat is mediocre-to-terrible so I don't know if I can be bothered with the rest of the game.

The last 3ish hours were some of the most tedious I've spent whilst playing a game in a long time.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Well, this hacking poo poo blows and I have to play as annoying anime boy.

Nice knowing you Nier, onto the trade in pile with ya.

Think I'll start Last Guardian.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Imhotep posted:

DO IT RIGHT NOW, PLAY THE LAST GUARDIAN

Started it and the first thing I noticed is that the controls are a bit poo poo.

Christ, I'm tetchy with vidjagames today :(

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

exquisite tea posted:

TBQH if you're not having fun with a game 10+ hours in you're under no obligation to keep soldiering on despite prevailing goon opinion. That's just you being cognizant of what you do and don't enjoy. Goonspeed.

I actually started out quite liking Nier but the more I played it, the more it annoyed me in pretty much everything other than the combat.

My completion time was only 16ish hours because I gave up on sidequesting at around 30% as nearly all of them were early 2000s MMO bear rear end collectathons/go talk to this guy and come back to me.

Maybe I just missed the point of the game or something but clunky anime nonsense isn't enough to keep me interested.

Also, the machines voices gave me a wicked headache : (

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

To be fair, i'm not really in a position to complain about anime too much since i just ordered Persona 5 on Amazon last night.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Yeah, not so sure about The Last Guardian.

It feels like another indie puzzle platformer that you'd pick up for a fiver in a sale or get free on PS+. The controls are abysmal, Trico is a pain in the balls as far as being a gameplay mechanic and it runs like rear end.

The puzzles are retard easy as well, it's just the poo poo controls and stupid AI slowing things down.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Yeeeaaaaaahhhh..... life's far too short for this bullshit.

This game would have been a revelation in late PS2/early PS3 days but it's just mediocre jank that I can't be arsed with now.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Snak posted:

For real, stop buying games until you read like, the bare minimum about them.

There's nothing really wrong with disliking the things you dislike, but reading like, a single paragraph about any of these games would have told you you would hate them.

I'm not disliking these games because I don't like what they are trying to do, i dislike them because they are bad at what they do.

Nier was boring and tedious after a few initial great hours. TLG has dogshit controls and terrible AI in a game that relies on having good controls and AI.

I read plenty about both games but most people seemed to brush off the huge flaws in each title, for some bizarre reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Snak posted:

I just feel like your complaints about both Nier and TLG are like, the most common complaints about most games. Like, people who dislike them dislike them for those reasons.

Both those games have a few really obvious gameplay flaws that you pretty much have to actively overlook to even bother with them.

The previous 3 games I played before them were Horizon, Dark Souls (finally actually finished it) and Yakuza 0. I can honestly say I enjoyed every moment of those games because none of them had these huge, glaring gameplay flaws that sapped my willingness to continue playing them.

Maybe it's just being an older gamer, but I have developed a really low tolerance for "flawed masterpiece" type stuff. I just see a mediocre game with a couple of good moments but nothing that's worth my free time.