Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Mr President posted:

Just had a chance to play the Nier Automata demo and I just wanted to say its loving awesome. Could be the comeback game for both Square and Platinum.

Platinum may be in a weird spot but Square is, like, totally crushing it right now aren't they? FFXV is selling gangbusters, they have a hugely popular F2P phone game that's taking in gobs of dough, the Deus Ex and Tomb Raider franchises both released successful if somewhat hollow chapters last year, and they can apparently just release every Kh game on every console because we all just keep buying them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I mean, the FF7 remake is shaping up to basically just play like a modded FFXV right? Just with like 3x the summons and twice the party members? Haven't they basically said that the remake won't be turn based? Or am I hallucinating that? It feels weird to think about how one of my favorite games from 5th grade will also be a game I look forward to slowly getting released over the course of my 30s...

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

poptart_fairy posted:

Metal Gear Rising is still the only fighter I've put serious time into learning properly, but damned if God of war isn't making an impression.

Depending on which GoW you're referring too, the secret to mastery is parrying people (EXACTLY LIKE MGR:R!). As Kratos, your moves kinda push you around the screen alot, so if you aren't attack or dodge-rolling then your doing it wrong, walking is for chumps.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Soul Glo posted:

Just because something's horrific doesn't make it horror. See: Souls/Bloodborne.

Yeeeeeeeeeah, I see what you're saying, but try to imagine Bloodborne or Dark Souls 1 through the eyes of someone unfamiliar with the genre or without internet forums... You're just a lonely confused dude in a very dark place/pit/swamp and there are monsters lurking, literally LURKING around every corner.

Just because we're Dark Souls players and we don't think this poo poo is scary anymore doesn't mean it isn't scary, or that it isn't clearly intended to put the player at unease.

Games like RE4, Doom, or The Suffering are clearly action games with scary characters, because the game goes so far out of its way to power you up with sweet guns and magic powers and tries to make you as scary as what you're attacking, but I'd argue that Dark Souls never tries to make you stronger than what you're dealing with (at least on a fresh New Game) and places like the Painted World or the Catacombs are definitely scary, to me, at least.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Hideo Kojima posted:

"But while in that process, we're constantly imagining, like, terrifying situations so it ends up giving me bad dreams," he added.

This is loving hilarious. Now I'm just thinking of him constantly terrified for the last, uh, 15 years of making Silent Hill or whatever.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Ars Technica says Nioh is probably better than Dark Souls: https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/02/nioh-review-a-rewarding-dark-souls-heir-set-in-16th-century-japan
Forbes aggregate of 4 very high reviews: http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidthier/2017/02/06/reviews-call-ps4s-nioh-vicious-brutal-fun/#5ac4ba601197

It's pretty funny to me that people were like "What if you made a game that was as nuanced and in-depth as Dark Souls but you, like, explain how to play it, kinda..." and that's enough for everyone to be like "Oh yeah this is really cool" instead of just getting ruthlessly slaughtered an infinite number of times because you literally have no idea what anything is or means or why you have to do anything.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Feb 7, 2017

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The question is really "do any video game franchise films FEEL like their games?"

In that vein I think the first Mortal Combat totally succeeds (that theme song is an unimpeachable pop culture benchmark in movie themes).

Prince of Persia came and went without any critical acclaim right? I just don't understand the need to whitewash these games, ugh

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I'll be prrrrrrretty floored if you can average more than 3-4 hours on a full charge switch, and I haven't heard or seen anything at all about the audio quality.

I also don't see the need to hybridize console and portables. Like one time I got to keep fighting a tense boss in Bayonetta 2 while going to the bathroom, but that, in retrospect, is not a function I demanded.

Probably turning in my tax rebate for a PS4Pro... wondering if we've seen any bundles on the horizon or if it's just time to dig in our heals and wait for a sale. I also don't own a 4K TV, can I just plug it into my computer monitor with a regular HDMI cable?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
For Honor strikes me as the kind of game that was meant to accompany a social trend that maybe never happenned, like maybe a big movie or book series could have made Viking vs Samurai vs Knight really cool and drawn it into the public eye...

Like they could have added scenes about Vikings and Samurai to their million dollar globe-trotting historical action set-piece movie they just made...

But it's just a really cool game coming out in a vacuum with no fan-fare or hype and an AWESOME DLC plan no one will notice or care.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Feb 14, 2017

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Goons! My tax return came in and now I'm Hood Rich! I am craving a PS4, I gave my little brother my God of War Red PS3 two Christmases ago so I've missed the entirety of the PS4 so far. I redeemed every PS+ game for the first year of the PS4, and my buylist is looking like:

Bloodborne
The Last Guardian
Nioh
Infamous: Second Son

to get started, and as far as remakes go, I was thinking of grabbing The Last of Us, Kingdom Hearts and trying out the Uncharted series (I have no interest in playing them out of order, I can't handle incomplete narratives) but I was wondering a few things and the OP is, uh, kinda bare bones lol:

1) Are there any good PS4 Pro bundles on the horizon? The munny is burning a hole in my pocket, but if we can expect a neat looking model in a month or something I'll hang tight

2) How is the PS4 Ratcher & Clank? I loved those games in High School, the platforming and enemies were ok but the guns were so fun to find and upgrade. Does the PS4 recapture the magic or what?

3) Did I miss any unique or cool exclusives that are worth checking out? I just built a high end PC on Black Friday, so I'm playing The Witcher 3 and Human Revolution on there. I have no interest in sports games or racing games

4) Is the stock HDD in the PS4 Pro better than the base PS4? I know its not that big a deal but I really really don't want to crack open my console and replace the HDD unless its a massive QoL improvement. I've read on these forums that replacing the HDD with an SSD has neglible impact on most games, but big Open-World games load significantly faster... would this effect games like Final Fantasy XV?

I haven't been excited for a console in a really long time (I bought a Wii U at launch, sigh) but the idea of playing all these great action games and the ever present carrot-on-a-stick that is Kingdom Hearts III is just getting me hype AF. I'm sleeping on FFXV until the storyline patch and I'm gonna wait until Nier hits PC later this year, but I feel like there might be a big release I'm forgetting about that I thought looked cool.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Mar 4, 2017

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Without spoilers, can I ask if Aloy's personality comes out through the cutscenes? My biggest problem with female protagonists in games is I feel like they are universally characterized very poorly. I played through the new Tomb Raider and didn't really get any sense of who Laura Croft is when she isn't slaughtering dozens of dudes. The only game where Samus Aran has dialogue is basically character assassination. Is she characterized well? Does she have personality traits or is she just like silently nodding while people assign her quests to go farm dino-robot butts?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
That's one of the reasons I thing The Last of Us stuck with me so hard. Joel can be a killing machine, but I genuinely felt tension in every encounter on Survivor, and its only in the final level when you are flamethrower-ing Firefly troops in the hospital that it reaches levels of weird Rambo Ooh-Rah action. Every other fight is like "Sneak by quietly, squeeze off the 4 rounds I have, try and get by with a brick to the face" and I love that poo poo.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

veni veni veni posted:

It defiantly feels like a good chunk of goons want stuff to fail as a general rule.

I think it's more that collectively, it's just so easy to get burned these days, and that a triple AAA console exclusive hasn't been really fun, engaging, or original in like kind of a long time before this most recent wave of super dope poo poo.

Remember The Order: 1886? Remember how good it looked in trailers? Remember the promise of using tesla cannons on vampires in spooky castles lit by gaslight?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Hey, does anyone still play The Last of US Multi on PS4? I wan't the Last of Us to get Platted quick as i can.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Am I crazy for wanting my first PS4 Pro game to just be TLoU Remastered? I know it's a kind of clunky 3rd person shooter, but except for MGR:R it's literally the most fun I've playing vibeo games in years and it's only $20 bucks, and I'm not looking to drop $60 bones immediately after dropping $400, especially since I know Nioh and Horizon aren't going on sale anytime soon and I'm going full digital/exclusives only.

Do difficulty trophies stack in TLoU? Can I get like 5 by making my first run a survivor/completionist run?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
"my dad can beat up your dad" is like an ancient meme in US culture, so that's probably what they are going for, but I don't know if that resonates in any other countries. Thank you El Goono for the translation!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I remember lamenting that I couldn't afford a PS3 on release, and being hopeful that I could afford one by the time they released Kingdom Hearts III...

(I bought one of the GoW red guys for TLoU & MGR:Revengeance at the rear end end of the life cycle, it was glorious)

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
A game I didn't know was on the horizon that Polygon & Gamesradar just informed me of is the PS4 exclusive Spiderman that looks fuckin' NUTS. The only trailers I can find are from E3 last year but since its coming from insomniac i have high hopes for the quality & craftsmanship. Just give me webslinging and Luchadore/WWE wrestling moves and keep the loving HUD/Mini-map off the loving screen if at all possible.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I was so sad that I never got to really dig in to Destiny until I realized what my friends who played on Xbox were actually doing, then I realized what a bullet I'd dodged. I'll wait for reviews... unless there's a siiiiiick White PS4Pro bunduru

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Hmm, when people were talking about a "Sci-Fi Dark Souls" I had some hopes, but this trailer looks pretty generic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhV_hFXoZtw

Suit yourself man I think that looks sick AF. Hell yes to games set in broad daylight! I'll be watching that.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah It's kind of obvious now but Destiny would be a WAY better game if it had Diablo style legendary powers where your abilities just do different things. It's obviously harder to balance but it leads to much more dynamic stuff.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Wow I'm almost 30 and this might be the first time that I instantly went "Day 1 Purchase" from a trailer. Everything about this games theme, character and style are my poo poo and even as a DMC tryhard I can admit Ninja Theory actually had some cool ideas about combat and the vergil's downfall DLC showed that they were willing to admit mistakes. If this is just a hack and slash with a cool psychosis mechanic and dreadlocks than we are off to the races.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I'm the guy who dropped $1300 on a top of the line high end gaming PC that I bought piece by piece and lovingly assembled...

But I have no loving idea what Anti-Aliasing, Occulent Occlusion, or most of that poo poo means/does. I install games, I max out every setting, and most games just go. DE:MD runs suuuuuuper chunky and slow and I feel like I'm playing on an old time movie reel, and turning all the settings down doesn't appear to affect it at all, so I wish I knew what else I could tweak to make it work...

Meanwhile the dishonored 2 demo feels like a painting, everything is crisp and clear. The Witcher 3 with no mods is the prettiest game I've ever played and makes Skyrim look like loving dogshit.

In 8 years of PC gaming, the only flub Ive ever had was RAGE, it released but literally just DID NOT work on AMD cards until they finally got AMD to patch in support almost 2 months after release, and by then I was so salty that I'd paid 50% for a physical copy of a game that I just couldn't play, I told myself "Never Again" and now I wait for reviews... Neir:A is the first game I've bought on release since then.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

exquisite tea posted:

Anti-aliasing: smooths out jagged edges on objects.
Ambient Occlusion: more objects in the game world cast their own shadow, makes them pop out more

A blessing in your house, Senpai

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Spend about the same amount of money on Journey as you'd spend on a movie ticket, but imagine its like one of the most charming, beautiful and kinda sad movies ever.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I'd rather have the LND uncharted discussion for a hundred pages than ever go through 'pants' chat in the 3DS thread ever again.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Chris is so hilariously outclassed in that trailer. Like you sandwich a pistol in between Thor & Hulk? Whaaaaaaaat?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
OOC when do you first play Bioshock?

Bioshock 2 improves on the gameplay in almost every appreciable way, but the best design decisions were all trampled under focus testing. I could understand your criticisms maybe if you played them recently, but criticising an FPS because all your missions come through a radio is like being pissed off that there are bullets in the game, its basically a standard convention for all FPS games in the last 15 years... like OK maybe Half life 2 has you talk to dudes before you go out on a mission, but basically every other FPS ever has you talk to/be mislead by radio transmissions.

Bioshock: Infinite is indefensibly bad but very pretty

Oh and hey, this time around, could we try smashing to monthly "player agency bioshock" chat into the "Ludonarrative dissonance uncharted" chat and we can talk about whether or not Nathan Drake WANTS to kill all these mooks or if he just HAS to...

glam rock hamhock posted:

While I disagree that the story is better (though the story of the first isn't amazing), Bioshock 2 is easily better than the first one in terms of gameplay and the disdain the game gets had always seemed really strange to me.

It gets disdain because the story, specifically the way the narrative wove aroundmind-controlling the player, was literally ground-breaking and defined that "whoa" moment for a generation of gamers. millions of people played that game and had their first taste of critically thinking about what they were doing and why in a game, instead of just playing it, and Bioshock 2 doesn't come anywhere near that level of intricacy. Also, Sophia Lamb doesnt make any sense in game, in the world of Rapture, and its really offputting the way they try to retcon her into the game world after BS1, because it feels like Ryan would have mentioned her at least once.

Also the Big Sister was originally supposed to be a recurring individual monster, like nemesis from Resident Evil, but focus groups found her too scary and so they nerfed her and also just made her a spry big daddy. Bioshock 2 has a laundry list of things that could/would have made it better but they got 'suited' down a lot to make an accessible sequel to their breakout hit.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Apr 27, 2017

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Snak posted:

yeah, it's obviously a matter of personal taste. I have no interest in shooting fireballs or whatever. Doesn't matter what the game is.

Wow, that is loving NUTS dude. Never have I been confronted with a video game opinion further from my own. Whenever a friend asks me if I've played "X" I always, universally, ask "Does it have spells?" and if the answer is "No" I probably don't bother. Spells are probably my number one reason to play video games. If i'd wanted to shoot guns all day i'd have joined the army, the police, or a gang!

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah imo it's the only bioshock I liked. I'll never get why people bag on it so much it was pretty good even if it got outdone by TLOU in just about every dept a month later.

Except it has no spells. B:I at least has fireballs and lightning and bees

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah I'm into Prey, the Gloo gun seems very bad and wrenching mimics doesn't make sense "am I the only one who thought of hitting them?" but I like upgrades and the spooooooky story they are setting up seems fun.

But yeah I feel like giving you 3-4 encounters in the demo where you just get swarmed by 4 mimics and die instantly (even on Normal) isn't great. Just showing off the first story hook is cool but this game is very floaty. I'm gonna play it but it needs work

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I'll descent and say that the PREY demo delivered a handful of cool ideas and the story hooks are very enticing and it's a very bright, pretty game...

But the controls are undeniably floaty AF.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah I know I'm right around the corner from whatever everyone is talking about but I just hate 9S playstyle.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Ellie is 14-15 in TLoU so it's not a stretch to assume it's only 5-8 years later and Joel could easily just be a healthy 60 year old man.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I think it's important to remember that The last of Us had a perfectly reliable perspective and narration, so jumping ship from that and telling the story through hallucinations would be a prrrrrretty huge departure...

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Um, i mean, I actually applaud a major game review outlet saying "This shipped with a game-breaking bug, that's kinda terrible." and then rescinding when its rectified. I don't know what's to take issue with here? Doesn't this mean they are changing their article to be less click-baity?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

poptart_fairy posted:

Aww, managed to survive a week in Don't Starve before loving up. Had a great supply of poop, a small garden to farm from, and was catching bunnies and birds on a regular basis. Needed some ash for medical supplies, but under-estimated the size of the fire and burnt my own camp down, then got eaten by spiders. :smith:

I have tried Terraria and Don't Starve and I think that despite playing video games almost every day of my life for like 20 years I think I'm just BAD at roguelikes.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Actually if Far Cry 5 is you playing Sioux/Blackfoot/Crow Native kid from a rez taking out lovely christian gangsters for your grandfather's casino or something like that it'd be a day 1 purchase for me.

Also it's neat to think of kids in Africa or Caribbean or Asia getting to play this and being like "whoa, America is actually kind of pretty, since I literally have no concept of what it looks like outside of NYC and LA, where every movie takes place"

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Im finally downloading Bloodborne. The sale and the remaining dollar i have in my account meant that $16 I was probably not gonna do too much better than that, and it came with the DLC. I just got really pissed off at the Ninja frog in Nioh so Im ready to go kill some fuckin' werewolves

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I am so excited to kill midwestern White Supremacists as a black cop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
This might be a can of worms for the thread so let me stress that both games are obviously very fun and well made, but as someone who has put about 30 hours into Nioh this week and about 5-6 hours into Bloodborne today, it's really funny remembering when BB launched and people were like "OMG it's Dark Souls turned up to 11! Breakneck Speed! The parry mechanic is so deep!" when Nioh's mechanics just soundly clown on BB as far as I can tell.

I am already more invested in whatever is going on on Bloodborne (I literally just downed Father Gas & Cleric Beast) than Nioh's plodding epic saga, and I like Yharnam more than I like anything from Nioh except for maybe the one map that's like some yellow mountain pass with a catacombs.

Basically Nioh seems like the pinnacle of the Blood Souls games mechanically, but Bloodborne just looks cooler. I think I'll probably beat BB before I go back to Nioh though, I'm not switching controls schemes like that again!