Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

TaurusOxford posted:

Why are the final fishing side-quests in FFXV so hard?! It's like I need to be psychic in order to know when the fish is going to change direction otherwise I lose about 100 durability on my fishing line. :argh:

The Liege of the Lake requires a lot of patience (and as upgraded of a rod/reel* as you can get). Don't reel when he's close to the edges of the area, and if you've managed to get a good full-second reel in you might want to let up early rather than pushing your luck. Every once in a while he'll still trip you up with one of those double-or-triple reversals, just stop reeling immediately. You can actually get a tiny bit of reeling in while the controller is vibrating but there's no tension warning without hurting your durability.

*If you've been to Altissia the best reel can be won in the arena, which is pretty easy to win regularly at once you figure out matchups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

blackguy32 posted:

I guess I'm underleveled in ff15. I can't figure out how to raise my defense. Is it based on accessories or by just leveling up?

I was getting my rear end kicked in the ice dungeon even though I'm around level 20.

Anklets, your choice in clothing, level, and one AP node.

I usually did all hunts that were available and seemed doable before moving on to plot stuff, and that worked out well in terms of being up to snuff for dungeons.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Just got to Altissia in FFXV and damned if that city isn't gorgeous :stwoon:.

Yeah. It doesn't really fit in well with the structure of the game, hence the dog-based-time travel system, but I can absolutely see why they said "gently caress it, we're putting this in come hell or high water."

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

glam rock hamhock posted:

If I know anything about Sega, they definitely have that trademarked.

Not in the USPTO database, and since American trademarks are use-based it's long since been abandoned.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Maybe they'd already written off the costs of the prior dev time.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

BlindNinja posted:

Yea I know that, but as far as switching between enemies and using link attacks (and I guess thats as deep as it gets?). I feel like I'm fumbling around. Maybe I'm expecting combos and the feel of combat to be more seamless and fluid that it's designed to be.

/\
I have embraced the awesomeness of spells however.

Make sure you finish enemies off with warp strikes, because each enemy you kill with a warp strike will give you an AP, and you'll want as many AP as you can get your hands on. The further away you are, the more damage your warp strike will do. Plus when you warp to a warp point your MP will instantly be refilled, so you should be warping around a lot when given the opportunity.

Ignis' Regroup and Overwhelm techniques are insanely good. Prompto's Piercer and Gravisphere are excellent for tough single enemies and large groups respectively. Good use of skills will make things a lot simpler.

Making food that one of your companions likes will increase the critical rate for their techs and also double the tech xp they get for using their techs. Making food that Noctis likes will increase the rate the tech bar fills up.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Doc Morbid posted:

Yeah. :saddowns: Well, no big deal there, we are well-adjusted adults who have better things to do on Feb 14 than play an anime RPG. Right?

(:smithicide:)

LOVE IS OVER

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Oxxidation posted:

"Golden age" has more than one meaning you tedious dipshit.

But is it the age of gaming's ambrosia?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

precision posted:

Goons hate anime, remember.

Don't goons claim that P4 isn't anime?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I'm thinking about picking up Nier:Automata, but I did have one last question: Does it have the Taro-Yoko-hates-you-personally-as-an-individual-and-not-just-as-part-of-the-video-game-playing-demographic "level all the weapons" requirement?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Are there any non-euphoric reasons to avoid praying for fallen androids in Nier? I don't fully trust the ability to do something nice in a Taro Yoko game.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I had trouble with the betrayers quest, but they showed up on top of the big robot eventually.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Manatee Cannon posted:

I don't agree with that personally

the dodge step is way better than the roll

This is sort of true and sort of not. A lot of enemy attacks move along the same path you quick step along, while the roll let's you go in any direction, reducing your exposure.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

haveblue posted:

How do I get to the shore? It looks like it's beyond the back of the Resistance camp but there isn't an exit there and no other paths from the overworld seem to go in that direction.
Eventually a big hole in the ground will open up, if it hasn't already (it's hard to miss). The entrance to the shore is a tunnel on one of the sides of the hole, which will take you through a sewer. The game will eventually direct you there anyway, but you'll get locked out of some sidequests shortly thereafter so if that happens and the sidequests aren't done I highly recommend not going any deeper into the shore area than the sidequests require because you'll have to start the entire quest chain over again on Route B if you go too far..

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

verbal enema posted:

How hard is Yakuza 0 on hard?

I don't think the fighting will be too tough does it affect minigames?

Don't forget to equip the Charismatic Autobiography to make things easier on yourself.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
The biggest DS2 feature missing from DS3 is the small white soapstone.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Video Nasty posted:

A stark contrast to Commander Keen and the side-scrolling Duke Nukem games before the series went 3D and also strived for that pinnacle of ultraviolence.

You know, we're overdue for a grim, "realistic" remake of Commander Keen. The IP Recyclers are slipping.

Manhunt is still the gold standard for uncomfortable violence.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

veni veni veni posted:

Tipper Gore is not going to be happy about this.

Rated T for Teen.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Nephzinho posted:

Two palaces down, kind of silly how much easier the second was than the first.

I think that's true for Persona in general. The first dungeon is the hardest to get through, but with a little bit of early grinding until your characters can't go on any further for that session everything will fall into place later on. I needed two trips to get to the end of the first palace, but since then I've been able to get through them in the minimum number of trips.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

spudsbuckley posted:

So, I might start Persona 5 at some stage today. My question is: subs or dub?

How okay are you with the dub mangling the pronunciation of names? The voices themselves are fine, but the voice direction seems rather bad.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

spudsbuckley posted:

Started Persona 5 and i'm actually really liking it so far. The combat is really nicely streamlined and quick and the dialogue is fairly snappy.

It's anime as gently caress but it doesn't take itself too seriously so it's not so bad. Only issues i have are that there are a LOT of loading screens and i'm about 4 1/2 hours in and it's still fairly linear.

What sort of non-linearity were you looking for in a game like this? The most you can really do is rush certain social links to get access to the good stuff earlier (Death 7 for half-price SP regen accessories that are drat near mandatory, Temperance 10 for ability to do stuff in evenings after palaces/mementos plus bonus time slots to read/study/make a tool, Fortune 7 to be able to spend money to advance social links, maybe Sun 10 to be able to recruit shadows who have higher levels than what you probably have for their palaces).

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

kirbysuperstar posted:

Takamaki and Sakamoto are also..not right.

That's the biggest reason why I went with JP and subs.

I think Ann is supposed to be 1/4 American, which makes no sense given her appearance, but that's anime genetics.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Sakurazuka posted:

You'll miss out on player messages, blood stains (how other people died) and co-op but not of that is necessary to play the game properly.

You also can't do chalice glyph searches, so no pwmf22gu for you.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Samurai Sanders posted:

I might want to try Persona 5 NG+ someday but only if there is a way to DRASTICALLY cut short the non-interactive parts, which can go on for weeks of game time. I dunno if fast forwarding every cutscene would even put a dent in it because you have to choose meaningless response choices, characters keep walking around and it keeps sending you back home only to sleep and save the game, etc.

NG took me ~110 hours, NG+ took ~20.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Samurai Sanders posted:

Oh, that sounds good. Do you keep your character's ability levels (the non-combat ones) so you don't have to study or anything?

You keep:

Social Stats (knowledge, guts, etc.)
Equipment and skill cards (not consumables except your valentine's day gift)
Persona Compendium
CASH MONEY (so you can summon your bespoke Yoshitsune and triple Auto-Ma Ardha as soon as you have access to the Velvet Room)
Key items from maxed-out social links that allow you to access some later abilities as soon as you get the first rank in the link (some are meh, some are super-good, like unlocking the teacher's massages immediately)

You don't keep:

Character levels
Social link progress
Currently equipped personae
Rail map progress
Room decorations

Without the need to build your social stats, you'll have plenty of time to do things you likely didn't have time for in NG, like reading all books, finishing all retro games (read the cheat code book asap), body building, or the fishing minigame you probably never realized existed.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

doingitwrong posted:

Anyone picked up Obduction? I got it for Mac awhile back and enjoyed it but my laptop kind of struggles with it, so I'm wondering if I should just get the PS4 version.

I'm running it on a PSPoor, and it struggles with graphics that feel like they're probably downgraded from the PC version. I've also had a crash and a an "unable to exit the cart" bug.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

8-Bit Scholar posted:

While the platforming was not great, and Monstro is a pretty confusing dungeon, I still want some element of exploration to remain. I liked going around Traverse Town finding all the hidden treasures and stuff; I enjoyed discovering that Wonderland had multiple ways you could flip that one room, which made a small seeming level appear much larger. Exploring Agrabah was cool; it all needed slightly better design and some more fluid movement mechanics (a double jump would help a lot) but I felt that part was just as important as the combat, and when it was rendered so anemic by KH2 I was really let down.

The Mulan level comes to mind particularly, because it felt so cheaply made and rushed. The Tron level was probably the best of the bunch, but it still felt like they were rushing to finish what game they had and couldn't be bothered to make engaging level design.

Echoing this, KH1 had a nice amount of exploration to do and secrets to find, while KH2 really just had series of arenas for 90% of its levels.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

veni veni veni posted:

Most games seem to struggle at making laser/plasma style weapons nearly as satisfying as ballistic weapons.

The plasma pistol in the original Halo was satisfying once you figured out that you could flutter-tap the trigger for rapid fire that did a lot more damage and afaict used less ammo per shot.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
You can grab 6 Bloodstone Chunks in The Old Hunters before you fight a boss, so if you like doing suicide runs/outrunning enemies you can power yourself up a bit early.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Seriously though Agro and D-Horse best companions ever

Agro is the smartest character in his game. "No, I will not throw myself off that ledge to a fatal fall."

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Rinkles posted:

Derail and besides the point, but what would be the (even hypothetical) point in that?

If they're on a dimmer switch, there's always a small amount of current running.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
The original XBox Live was most people's first encounter with console online services, and that was just paying an annual fee for online multiplayer. Paying a similar amount in CURRENT YEAR and also getting games you don't pay anything additional for and discounts in addition to the online services feels like a better value proposition than the original baseline.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Is Bound any good? It looked at least a bit visually interesting in the trailer and it's free, but I've heard zilch about it otherwise.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Yakuza 0 is fun, but a lot of the character models (basically anyone who isn't a major character who is scanned from a real actor's face or is a main character like Kazuma or Majima), the animations, and especially the controls feel like they haven't been updated since the previous console generation. A lot of in-engine cutscenes distinctly remind me of Deadly Premonition.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

veni veni veni posted:

Bound feels like what people describe when they are being hyperbolic while making fun of indie games. This is ridiculously lame.

It would have been a lot more acceptable if the controls weren't both rear end and half-useless. I think you use the roll twice in the entire game, the first time as part of a tutorial, you have to hold down a trigger for the entire game to move at an acceptable speed, and all of the extra buttons to hit while dancing don't really do anything useful.

There were coin-style pickups that didn't seem to do anything; I suppose those are for the "speedrun" mode that I have zero interest in because the controls suck.

The art style was nice (except in desperate need of a non-terrible model for the MC in the real world parts), but as a game to be interacted with it's really not very good.

The story is probably the single most shopworn theme in indie games.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
To combine the previous two lines of conversation, there's no way I'm going to plat Y0, because getting 100% Completion requires you to git gud a ton of different minigames. I'm not going to master mahjong, shogi, baccarat, 5 different variations of billiards, multiple rhythm games, video game darts, etc.

I think only .8% of people with the game have platted it.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Does MH still require you to utilize The Claw?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Metal Gear enemies have hearing damage and no peripheral vision.

Also apparently roofs you can Fulton through?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Man, i wanted to like Dark Souls, but every time I try playing it I bounce right off.

Try holding with both hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Wolfsheim posted:

Also, is there like a secret item merchant somewhere to just buy all the poo poo I need to upgrade my weapons or would I have to grind it out?

The clown merchant in the Amusement Park sells more stuff as the game progresses, so you can pick up a number of things there, but some stuff like Pure Water I think you have to grind. Emil also sells items in some places.